700 Dollar Gaming PC Build 2017, This PC Is Next-Gen Ready

So you’re trying to build yourself a 700 dollar gaming PC build for 2017? Well, that’s awesome for you. Because today I’d like to share how to get the most bang for your buck while staying within this specific budget.

An Awesome Build Awaits You

Being on a $700 budget to get started into the PC gaming world is a blessing and trust me you’ll never regret the day that you decided to invest this amount into a gaming PC! 🙂

This build will run extremely smooth with everything. Games will be able to run on the higher graphic settings while still keeping a very good frame rate while playing them.

If you’ve never built a computer before then I highly suggest that you watch the video I have posted below before AND during your building process once all of your parts come in the mail. This is the same video that I watched while I built my first computer and I must say it was the best tutorial out there that I could personally find. Newegg does a fantastic job making sure that they leave no detail out for this process.

That video should definitely shed some light on the illusion of confusion when it comes to building a computer for yourself. What I mean by that is that a lot of people think that building a computer from scratch would require a bunch of computer smarts and techy know-how in order to get it done when in reality it’s actually a simple plug n’ play process! 😀

Now that you have an idea of how you’ll be building your computer, let’s go over which parts would be best with a $700 budget.

Optimal Hardware For $700

Last Updated: February 23rd, 2017

caseCase – Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Galaxy-03

Processor – Intel Core i5-6500

Motherboard – ASUS LGA1151 M.2 H110 MicroATX Motherboard

Video Card – MSI GAMING Radeon RX 480 GDDR5 8GB

RAM – Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4

600Power Supply – EVGA 80PLUS Bronze Certified 600W

Final Price: $701.46

Pretty amazing build if I do say so myself! 🙂

The main difference between this build and the $600 build is the Intel processor. The i5 has a significant amount of better performance with single core performance as compared to a FX-8350 making it more valuable in that regard.

If you’re looking to play games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, Grand Theft Auto V or Dying Light on higher graphic levels then this is definitely a great build just for that. The hardware that comes with this build is outstanding and I can’t imagine that you wouldn’t be baffled by the power behind this hardware once you have experienced it for yourself.

A computer case is a part that is entirely up to the person buying the case. The one I have listed above gives you ta pretty big bang for your buck and is completely compatible with this entire build. The above case really goes in between $40-$70ish so if you’re wanting to have your total cost be a bit less then it might be a good idea to go with a compatible case that is a bit cheaper.

If you want to browse other computer cases that are available online then you can Click Here to check out more mid tower cases!

Having an Intel processor for your build is always a good decision because Intel has done a great job of providing super high quality and dependable processors for many years now.

The Intel Core i5-7500 is an awesome CPU and is sure to surprise any user with its processing speeds. This quad-core processor is totally up for today’s demands for computer games/software/programs and then some. You can’t go wrong with this CPU and you’re basically guaranteed an amazing experience for years to come.

It’s a bit of an upgrade from the last CPU which was the i5-4590. The i5-7500 is the next generation up in Intel’s CPU family and since the pricing is making more and more sense as we move forward I figured that it was high time to add it into the build.

This CPU does not overclock but I still want to recommend getting a motherboard that allows for overclocking incase you’d want to upgrade to a better CPU down the road that does offer overclocking!

Now for the video card on this build… 😀 This RX 480 8GB card does wonders for displaying textures and 3D models. As of right now, this is the greatest RX 480 for the amount that they ask for this card.

Other versions are priced at a bunch of different price ranges and for a while the pricing made no sense hence why those cards haven’t been shared for the longest time. Now that the pricing is a bit more fair, it makes sense to go for the newer hardware.

If you’re currently a console gamer and you want to experience the ultimate joys of owning a powerful PC gaming system then the RX 480 is going to show you how that vision can become your reality. Its power is something to see for yourself! 😉

The 600 watt power supply is manufactured by EVGA. There are some power supplies out there that simply cannot deliver the power that they say they have but EVGA will always deliver a high quality product especially with their power supplies.

Now also don’t forget that you’re going to need a keyboard, mouse and monitor in order to finish everything out for your build. If you’re in the market for a keyboard and mouse then you should definitely check out this awesome combo!

Now for a monitor, you’re definitely going to want to go with a 1080p choice. Simply because this build is more than capable of running some of the tops games at that resolution and games look pretty great at 1080p!

71r1E7x7PlL._SL1500_Monitor – Asus VS228H

All in all, this is a perfect setup for anyone that’s on a $700 budget.

Now for the operating system of your build I have to say that it is entirely up to your when you go to pick an operating system.

Personally, I use Windows 10 because it has given me the best experience not only with PC gaming in general but also just the usage for a personal computer. If you don’t have the money right now for Windows then you can always download a free Linux based operating system called Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is an open-source computer OS that lets users customize it how they see fit. The only reason why I don’t use Linux is because most of the Steam games I have aren’t compatible with Linux but that is soon to change!

Steam is releasing their own operating system called SteamOS and it’s Linux based and supposedly supposed to be compatible with every game that is available on Steam. I’m pretty pumped to see the final product and best believe that I’ll be using Steam’s OS for my gaming PC once they finally have it finished!

There are also other ways of obtaining Windows without having to go through a purchasing process but it’s super frowned upon not only by most everyone in the world but myself included. It makes more sense to get a legitimate copy of the operating system that way you can know, going forward, that everything is going to work the way it was intended to.

Also, if you’re looking for ultimate wifi connectivity then I highly suggest getting the wireless network adapter listed below. It’s got the fastest and most reliable connection you could have with a desktop on USB! I always recommend going with a direct connection if you’re able to but if wireless is your only option, make sure you get a high quality adapter to get the job done.

wI’ve also got a link to a 64bit version of Windows 10. It’s extremely important to always grab the 64bit version otherwise you won’t be able to use the full 8GB of RAM that you’ve got within your PC build!

And if you need a mouse and keyboard for your build then it doesn’t get any better than the CM Devastator combo! Seriously, it’s the best combo for a mouse and keyboard as far as value per dollar spent is concerned.

The next few years will be filled with exciting times for PC gaming and I can’t wait to see how it all evolves for the years to come! 😀

So what do you guys think of this $700 dollar gaming PC build? Does it seem like a system that is up to par with today’s demands for gaming? I sure think so!

Let me know in the comments below!

If you have any questions, I’m all ears! 😀

741 Responses to 700 Dollar Gaming PC Build 2017, This PC Is Next-Gen Ready

1. Phillip says:

Hey this is literally my first ever time building my own computer so sorry for any dumb questions I just wanted to make sure. Are all the parts listed on this page the only parts I’ll need to complete the build and start playing and also will my old cheap monitor work fine with this new rig.

Hey Phillip,

Yes – all of the cables and what not will come with the different parts. No worries there. Make sure that you go through the above video before and during the actual process of putting it all together. It’s going to help a lot as you move forward with your build!

As far as your monitor, does it have a DVI or a HDMI connection? If it only has a VGA cable, it would need an adapter. I’m unsure whether the card comes with the adapter or not, I do know that some do though.

• Phillip says:

Thanks a bunch for the reply just wanted to be sure, so the parts come with everything needed like the must have fans and other cooling pieces?

2. MassEdge says:

This is a great build. I was wondering if there was any motherboard with integrated bluetooth and wireless internet connection that would be compatible with this build and will still near the budget.

It’d definitely be cheaper to just get an adapter that does those things installed on the motherboard. The installation is super easy.

Take a look at this adapter by Gigabyte – it has built in wifi and bluetooth. Pretty cheap for what it brings to the table, slides right into a slot on the motherboard.

3. Mitchell says:

Hi just wandering if this system will run imaging simulator well

4. Mason says:

I have been wondering if I should get this hard drive instead of the one on your list because a lot of people said it crashed or stopped working after a while.

Should i get this one or the one one the list?

I’ve used the above hard drive for over 4 years with two different builds and it hasn’t died on me or anything – no issues so far. I have a friend that has that same WD hard drive and it’d be compatible, also a good choice.

5. Mason says:

and would this ram work as well?

6. Shaher says:

I like this build , but can i use the the geforce gtx 970? And core i5 6600k?

Shaher,

The 1070 would work just fine, however, if you go with the i5 6600k – you’d need a compatible motherboard and an aftermarket cooler that would fit in the case since it doesn’t come with a stock cooler.

7. Shaher says:

Can you give me a nice msi mobo and aftermarket cooler?

If you’re going with the above CPU then I wouldn’t suggest any aftermarket cooler, let me know if you’re going with a CPU that’s able to be overclocked and then I can point you in the right direction. Sorry if you’ve told me in the past, loads of comments and I can’t always remember what we talked about.

But as far as a MSI board, I’d really recommend going for the above one. It gives you overclocking options for future CPU upgrades and has all of the features you’d need going forward.

8. Scott says:

Would this build benefit from aftermarket cooling? Or would it be unnecessary? Also, would the addition of a SSD be an option with this power supply?

Hey there Scott,

There wouldn’t be any benefit since you wouldn’t be able to overclock the above CPU. An aftermarket cooler is really only good when you plan on overclocking.

You’d be able to add a SSD without needing more wattage, you’d be good to go!

9. Powell says:

Do you have any suggestions on the same build but with ddr4 motherboard and ram?

10. Joshua Nelson says:

how much is the whole thing adding the monitor and software? because i dont have anymore than 700 bucks

Depends on the prices, give or take an extra $150ish for the monitor and the operating system. You can find Windows pretty cheap on different key sites.

• Joshua Nelson says:

aw i feel stupid! i forgot about this guide and i ended up buying a pre built that comes with windows for 700 bucks.
        AMD FX-8320
        Nvidia Geforce GTX 950 2GB
        8GB RAM

was it a good choice?

Eh, the $600 build would have been a better build than that…

I mean, it’s not like you’re not going to be able to run games. It’s going to do just fine running games at 1080p. It’s just that the hardware could have been better had you done a build yourself.

11. Kaleb W says:

Hey Colton, I was looking at the GPU price on amazon and the one that cost about 180 was used, and in “Good” condition. Do you think I should get that one?

12. Nathanial says:

Same build but an i5 6600k. Can you reccomend a compatible motherboard?

Sure thing man, I’d recommend this one by MSI since it gives you the features you’ll need for overclocking the 6600k. You’ll also need an aftermarket cooler and different RAM in order for it to be compatible and the 6600k doesn’t come with a stock cooler.

I’d recommend the Cooler Master GeminII 4 for the cooler because I know that it’d fit in the case and it’ll be able to handle overclocking. I’d also recommend going with this RAM because by going with the above RAM you may run into issues down the road.

13. Anthony says:

For the hard drive I was thinking of ramping it up to 2TB or maybe even 3TB on that same Amazon page. Would that affect it or make it incompatible with the rest of the build? I doubt it but I just want to know for sure.

Hey there Anthony,

No it wouldn’t, it’s basically the same thing just with more space. Let me know if you need to know anything else as you move forward with your build, I’m all ears here man!

14. Bryce says:

I’m building this as my first PC and I was wondering if this Case would work: http://amzn.to/2aQSIIh

15. Jason R says:

Was thinking of using the

MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC DirectX 12 VR READY (GTX 970 GAMING 4G) by MSI instead of your card because its available via Prime. Would that still work?

16. Scott says:

So based off of your suggestions I came up with this build. Would you recommend anything different?

Very solid there Scott, I’d definitely make sure to have compatible RAM with a motherboard that is also good to go. When it comes to Skylake you need to have specific RAM. Also, the 6600k is going to need an aftermarket cooler since it doesn’t come with a stock cooler.

17. Justin Cha says:

Hey do you think this can run no man’s sky? the game says it needs @least 8 gb ram

For sure it could Justin, even lower priced builds would be able to. I’d suggest even the $600 build if you’re looking to save a bit on cash, both this and that build will run NMS and the specs are good to go for sure in the future when looking at optimal performance/ power per dollar spent.

18. Justin Cha says:

Are there any better rams/gpus you’d reccomend? my budget is about 750-800$ so yea thanks in advance u da best

19. Joe says:

Would going with an i7 cpu change anything I would need to buy? I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.

20. Sami says:

Plus when you talk about the RX480 do u mean this ?

21. Duke says:

Would an MSI R7 370 Gaming 4g graphics card be better than the asus strix?

Also I was thinking about getting an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo for 50 more $, would the price difference be worth it?

I don’t think you should get it Duke because the STRIX is the better card.

Only get that board if you know that you need the features that it has over the other.

22. Mason says:

Would I be able to use 2 crucial 8gb single ram sticks?

23. Bryce says:

Would this build work for CS:GO, Warframe and or Doom/Battlefield 4

24. Mason says:

I made the computer and when i install windows 10 it gives me error memory management. I checked the bios and all the parts are installed correctly. I think its a driver problem. Do you know any fixes?

25. Tie Guy says:

Thanks for making such an awesome build! I made a review on it if you want to check it out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSLiyf6dt9I

It includes what frames it gets on certain games aswell as my overall thoughts!

26. Mason says:

I had some problems installing windows but I have fixed it and love this build. Thanks for all the help you gave me by responding to my questions.

27. AnyOtherWay says:

I would like to mention that that motherboard supports CrossFire. I thought that’d be something interesting to note.

Also, that case looks pretty cool! I saw your review of the Apevia X Sniper2 review, and I plan to go with that, but the case on this build is an… Unlikely other choice I might make.

Right on, Crossfire is good when you have the power behind it ready for it but some games don’t support it… up to the individual really but it’s always awesome having two graphics card right? 😛

The Sniper2 is the case I have and it’s definitely the best case I’ve worked with!

28. gilbert says:

hey I have a few questions my first question is will everything I need come with this build like cables etc. second question is are there any good key sites that you would recommend sorry if I sound dumb or anything its just my first build

Hey there Gilbert,

No need to apologize, the only dumb question is the one you don’t ask 😉

Yes, all of the cables and what not that you’ll need to get everything put together is going to come with all of the different parts. Kinguin is a decent key site just make sure you work with highly rated sellers.

29. Matt says:

Hey Colton im currently looking into a 1080p gaming build but eventually want to upgrade to 1440. Can i simply switch out the graphics card to say a gtx 1070?

30. Phal says:

Do you have any other suggestion for the hard drive instead of Seagate?

31. Wait, I’m confused… this GPU is supposed to be better than the one in the build?
    Is this the right RX 480 you mentioned? It’s cheaper. (Well, if you ignore shipping costs, I don’t know how much AMD charges for that)

32. CatastropheGames says:

Hi I made a few changes to your pc build above and was interested to see what u think of the choices I made,so 2 things I switched from your build was the Seagate 1tb hard drive I got a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5″ 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive and instead of the video card I got a Change MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card let me know if u think my choices were good bad or any suggestions on them.

Hey CatastropheGames,

When it comes to the hard drive it’s going to be about which brand you’d rather support and have. Both Seagate and Western Digital are awesome for hard drives.

For the graphics card change, that is this exact card right? When it comes to gaming at 1080p, you’re not going to see a significant difference. I’d only go for that card if you plan on for sure getting into higher resolution gaming. The extra 4GB of VRAM doesn’t increase raw gaming performance – it is more so for higher resolution gaming and for heavy VR gaming.

33. Rathe VB says:

GOSH DANG IT! I got the old graphics card about a week before you updated the page. Will there be a great difference or will there not be much of a change?

34. Rathe VB says:

Can this run VR?

Hey Rathe,

I’d say at an entry level, yes. You may want to consider a bit better of a CPU and the 8GB version of the graphics card for optimal performance but as is it should still be able to run VR.

35. Nick says:

How do I pick a monitor that’s not super high tech but is decent for the price

Nick,

The one that I have linked above is a pretty awesome monitor for 1080p and it doesn’t really break the bank. It’s the same monitor that I currently have and it rocks!!

36. Danny says:

is this case compatible http://amzn.to/2fbLF4x

Hey Danny,

Yes it is but you should know that the above motherboard has USB 3.0 headers while that case does not have any front USB 3.0 ports. Can still be used for everything, you just wouldn’t be able to use the USB 3.0 header on the motherboard.

37. Dalton says:

Is there a different brand graphics card you would recommend for this build? I’ve heard some bad things about Asus’s RMA service and I’m somewhat nervous of having to deal with it in case of getting a faulty card. However, I hold your word pretty highly after lurking on the site for awhile, and if you think a Asus brand card is still worth going for I’ll still get it. I just wanna hear your opinion.

Thank you.

Hey Dalton,

I’ve used Asus products for many, many years and haven’t had any issues whatsoever. I absolutely love that they make their stuff in a very high level of quality.

With that, if you wanted to look at something else, I’d recommend this card by MSI – it’ll still fit within the case and is also another high quality RX 480 to go with!

38. Nicolas Ordonez says:

Hey since cyber mondays coming around and i will be ordering parts for a new PC then i was wondering if with a budget of exactly 700 dollars i should make any changes sincethe prices will be lower, maybe theres better parts i could buy. I dont know how much lower the deals will be on cyber monday.

Hey Nicolas,

Nobody is going to be able to know for certain how good of deal will pop up. It’s kind of a “wait and see” type of thing.

It’ll be worth the wait as you’ll save a bit. You can keep an eye on the site and the build since I plan on updating the builds and sharing posts of deals that I find!!

• Tyler H. says:

Hello Colton,

Thank you for putting this build together. I am planning on building a new gaming computer during the cyber Monday/black Friday deals to maximize performance and optimize cost. I plan on using your build. Is there anyway to follow your updates as deals come in?

Hey Tyler,

The only way would be to simply keep checking back here for updates to the build and posts that I share about sales. Maybe in the future I could have an e-mail newsletter if people really wanted to keep track of new posts and what not?

39. Nicolas Ordonez says:

How many years would it be before this build became outdated?

It’s hard to say for 100% certain Nicolas but definitely 3+ before someone might consider an upgrade. Keep in mind that this PC is VR capable since it meets the requirements for it and that alone shows how much power is behind it.

40. Phillip R. says:

I did not know where else to post this, but since this build is closest to 700$ I figured this is the best place. If you don’t mind Colton could you tell me what you think about my build (inspired by your build of like price), and also any revisions you would recommend. My biggest concern was the CPU and GPU bottlenecking, and as you can tell from the liquid cooling system I plan to OC soon.

Everything look great man the only suggestion I’d make is to bump up the cooler to the Corsair H60 to get a bit of a newer cooler in there, it’s only a little bit more expensive to ensure you’re getting an even higher quality experience with the cooler.

There will definitely not be any bottleneck at all!

41. Phillip R. says:

Thanks for the help man, glad to finally be building a PC!

42. Dave says:

This looks really similar to a deal I found on newegg

Can you point out anything I’m overlooking? I know the processor’s slower by 0.6GHz but is there any other reason I should think twice before I buy?

43. Andrew Becker says:

I noticed you just changed the build. Anything of significant importance that you changed or any way you improved the build. I’m looking for a PC around this price range

44. Andrew Becker says:

Also how would adding a solid slate drive improve the build? Is it necessary?

A solid state drive loads a lot faster than a traditional hard drive. You can read up a bit more about SSDs vs HDDs in this post – that’ll show you the main differences!

They help significantly with boot times for Windows, load times for games and load times for programs. It’s not necessary to have one though.

45. Matthew says:

Would this card work better? Is that the card youre talking about?”When the 4GB RX 480 actually gets to the right price then that’d be the more ideal card to go with”

That’s actually a typo mistake Matthew, thanks for pointing that out I’ve updated it now.

The above RX 480 is going to have very similar performance to the one you’ve linked, that one may have a tiny bit better performance and a bit better cooling but all in all the differences aren’t going to be anything super significant where it creates a substantial, noticeable difference.

46. Matthew says:

Last question (probably): I’ve heard NVIDIA GTX are the best in terms of performance and reliability. Which of those are comparable to the Radeon above?

47. Mike says:

It’s my first time buying. I was wondering why the fan isn’t included in the list? Or is it already included in on of the items somehow? If not, should I get one? And a compatible one? Please let me know. Thanks.

48. Nigel says:

I just want to say this is an incredible website. I completed this build over a month ago using some of the older parts (i5 4590 etc) and I am amazed at the performance I am getting. My father is impressed too he is now starting the $800 dollar build on this site lol.

49. Alan Llanes says:

Forgive my newbness – but I noticed that the motherboard only has one (1) HDMI input, but I plan on really going for it and having dual screens. Is there another product you would recommend for this, or is their some easy fix for that?

Hey Alan,

Actually you’ll be looking at the graphics card for the video ports you’d want to use and it has more than one so dual monitors will be possible. You won’t use a video cable to the motherboard when you have a video card for the video!

Let me know if you need to know anything else as you’re moving forward with the build, I’m all ears here man and happy to help!

50. Matthew says:

The listed RAM stick is sold out. Any recommendations?