Best $400 Dollar Gaming PC Build, An Optimal Budget Build For 2017

If you’re looking for the best bang for your buck on a $400 dollar gaming pc build then you should definitely check this build out. This build is the most optimal when it comes to building a PC on a tight budget.

Next-gen PC gaming is going to take quite a bit of GPU and CPU power to run for the long term. Although you’d get much more future proof power out of a $500 build, this build will do just fine for some of the games coming out this year. Just don’t expect to be able to run them on the higher graphics settings.

Best Build For A Tight Budget

This build is actually very similar to my current build as far as power goes. I’m able to run games such as Skyrim on the highest graphic settings and Elder Scrolls Online on medium settings. If you’re looking for a PC build just to get your feet wet in the PC gaming industry then this is definitely the build for you. This build is 100% upgradeable so you don’t really need to worry about compatibility issues when it comes to upgrading down the road.

You probably won’t need to upgrade until we get close to the middle of 2017, if you’re at all interested in VR then you’ll definitely need to upgrade if you’re wanting to run some of the high-end games with VR. There are also games that don’t need a bunch of power to run but I’m assuming that you’ll need to upgrade in order to run a game like Skyrim with virtual reality. Though this is just a guess, we’ll know for sure once it actually comes out.

If you’ve never actually built a computer before then you’re going to have to do a little research. I have included a video below by NeweggTV, it’s the same video that I went through step by step when I went to build my first gaming PC. It’s very detailed and you should be able to know exactly how it all comes together after you watch it and during the actual building process.

Be sure to go through the video while you wait for your parts to come in the mail and be sure to watch it as you actually build it. It’s good to have a visual of what it is you’re doing when you’re actually going through the process of bringing your PC to life!

With that, let’s get to the build.

Last Updated: February 23rd, 2017

caseCase – Rosewill Micro ATX Mini Tower SRM-01

Motherboard  – ASUS H110M-A/M.2 LGA 1151 MicroATX Motherboard

Processor – Intel Pentium G4400

gpu Video Card – EVGA GeForce 2GB GTX 1050 SC

RAM – Crucial Single 8GB DDR4

powerPower Supply – EVGA 400W

cdCD Drive – Asus 24x DVD-RW

This build is pretty well put together and you’re going to LOVE this build once you bring it to life! 😀

The computer case is entirely up to you because I know there are some people who want to have a really cool looking case to go with their build. If you want to browse compatible cases with these parts then Click Here!

I’d suggest going with the case that I have listed through because it’s the cheapest case you could get on Amazon and it’s 100% compatible with all of the parts you’ll need. Everything will fit just fine and you’re getting the most bang for your buck!

The combination of the Pentium G4400 and the GTX 1050 2GB card is a match made in heaven.

These parts aren’t completely high-end and new but they aren’t crappy either. You’ll be able to run games like Dragon Age: Inquisition, Grand Theft Auto V, The Elder Scrolls Online and Dying Light with this build. One thing you shouldn’t expect is being able to run all games on ultra settings with 60 FPS, that comes with upgrading down the road.

The Pentium G4400 may be a somewhat lower end CPU but it’s able to be upgraded down the road to other CPUs using the LGA 1151 socket. This includes processors such as an i5-6500 or even an i7-6700. If you wanted to go with an upgrade in the future that would be able to be overclocked then you’d also have to change the motherboard since the one in this list is not compatible with overclocking.

8GB of RAM is the industry standard if you want to have a high quality gaming experience. In the past I was sharing using a 4GB stick to start off but that isn’t going to cut it anymore. Sure, this increases the price a decent bit but paying that extra bit is 100% worth putting into the build.

Without having 8GB of RAM you wouldn’t be meeting with the minimum requirement of almost every high end game that has released in the past year and it’s definitely going to be required for many years to come. Besides, having 8GB of RAM also helps with multi-tasking and using other high demanding programs which makes it that much more worth getting.

The 400W EVGA power supply is great and EVGA has always delivered high quality power products. If you’re going to upgrade this build down the road then make sure you up the wattage as well that way you can be sure you have enough power to run the high end hardware when you actually do decide to upgrade.

1TB of hard drive space is almost crucial in order to have a good PC gaming experience. The Elder Scrolls Online alone is a 57GB game, it’s good to make sure you have enough space for everything that you’ll be downloading into your PC!

This build would be more than capable of gaming decently at 1080p resolution. If you’re in need of a good 1080p monitor then I’d highly suggest taking a look at this one by Asus!

Also, if you need to grab a keyboard and a mouse then this combo by Cooler Master is going to probably be the one for you. For its price point it is an absolute steal and the mouse is perfect for gaming at 1080p.

Now as far as operating system go, that would be a decision that is entirely up to you. You could always go with Windows and then you’ll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 when it releases later on this year.

If you do go with Windows then make sure that you go with a 64bit version that way you’ll be able to use 8GB of RAM in the future if you don’t have it already. I highly suggest that you do just get the 8GB of RAM anyway, you’ll need it going forward.

You could also go with the free, open source operating system known as Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a linux-based operating system that you can download and add to your PC build 100% for free. The only downside is that not all PC games are completely compatible with Linux. There are work arounds but it includes downloading certain programs and emulating the experience.

If you have Windows then you won’t have any problems with PC games for the most part. You could always pirate Windows as well but this is really frowned upon and NO I will not show you how to get Windows for free. It’s better to pay for the legit version anyway that way you won’t have any bugs in your system and then you’ll also be able to upgrade to Windows 10 which is actually supposed to cater to PC gamers, with DirectX 12 and such. I’m pretty excited for it myself!

If you’re looking for optimal internet connection then I highly suggest that you go with broadband. Check out the wireless network adapter that I’ve linked below if you’d like, it plugs right into a USB slot and then an antenna sticks out of the USB to find connectivity with your wifi connection. Based on the reviews over on Amazon for it, it keeps a good, reliable connection!

Also, if you’re looking for a cheaper mouse and keyboard combination then you should definitely check these out! They are high quality for the price point and you’ll be able to have an awesome gaming experience with these peripherals!

All in all, a $400 gaming PC build is definitely a way to go. Upgrading down the road will be easy and you’ll be able to have an entry-level PC gaming experience with this build.

Pretty great hardware right?

Let me know in the comments below! 😀

If you ever have any questions about how to go about building it or just in general then feel free to ask me in the comments area! 🙂

857 Responses to Best $400 Dollar Gaming PC Build, An Optimal Budget Build For 2017

1. AnyOtherWay says:

Personally, I don’t think you should be trying to get a GPU into a $400 build, and instead suggest them to upgrade to one in the future. With the money saved from not getting a GPU, you could instead get the FX-8350, as well as more, better ram, a better PSU, and maybe a different case.

Also, a couple notes, the link in the ram sends you to an 8GB ram, rather then the 4 it says it will. There’s also the ram being CL 11, slower then many a ram for the same price as many a ram.

I think most would not think that way, spending $400 most will want to be able to game right after putting everything together. Also on the RAM, the link does link to 4GB. The other link links to 8GB and at the time that RAM was for the better price but I’ll most likely be changing it in the upcoming updates to the builds.

• AnyOtherWay says:

Oh, I clicked in a different area, didn’t realize there were two links there… And I was also confusing the FX series, thinking those were the APU’s from AMD…

Still, you could change it to an APU like the A10-6800K, right?

2. Anton Cimino says:

Will this PC run the following programs?

A very basic video editor

Fallout 4

CSGO

Battlefield 1

No Man’s Sky

I wouldn’t expect it to run those games on higher settings, you’ll be looking at a tweaked medium setting for the most part. You’ll definitely want to consider upgrading the CPU to a FX-6300 instead if you want further game/rendering performance.

3. Joseph says:

If I was to upgrade the CPU and video card to the one on the $500 build. would I need to upgrade the power supply?

Hey Joseph,

If you plan on overclocking then yes I would get the better power supply as well.

• Joseph says:

That’s I appreciate it. Almost got everything I need to start gaming. Have one more question and I probly should have asked before I bought all these parts lol but how long do you think this setup will last me?

No problem and it’s going to last a good bit, it should be able to handle the next few years worth of new games on a tweaked medium setting. Longer if you decide to overclock the 4300 down the road!

4. Christian says:

This is probably a dumb question, but will it run League of Legends, CS:GO, TF2, and Garry’s Mod at full grahpics settings with ease?

For sure Christian, these specs surpass the recommended requirements for those titles and you’ll be able to run them smoothly. There may be one or two things to tweak in the graphics but it’s not going to make a significant difference on what the game looks like.

5. Chet says:

Will this run Overwatch on Medium-High settings

6. Mark says:

I know this maybe stupid to ask again like the others. This computer I’m looking to run on eve online and some other random PC games. Not games that are released this year. A few years ago like dishonored or csgo. Will this build easily run those at decent frame rates on medium/high. The main one would be eve as I may dive into multiboxing. Any advice from anyome is helpful.

Hey Mark,

You’ll definitely be able to run games like those, you’re right that they’ll run well at a tweaked high/med setting but mostly high. It’ll depend on the game.

Also the only stupid question is the one you don’t ask 😉 let me know if I can help any more!

7. Vincent says:

Will it run dota and csgo in high setting ?

8. Marquez says:

CPU: AMD Phenom X4
    Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    8 GB of DDR3 1866 mHz RAM
    500 Watt PSU
    120 GB SSD
    nVidia GTX 550ti
    Windows 10
    NZXT S340 Razer Edition Mid-Tower Case

A friend of mine wants to sell that build to me for $400. I’m new to the PC world so I am not sure if that is good or bad. Can u please help?

Marquez,

Is the X4 a X4 965? It’d be nice to know which specific CPU it is.

Honestly, you’ll get more bang for your buck by going with the above build. I don’t think the 550ti is going to be able to handle what’s coming up in the industry, a 750ti or something similar would be a better route. I do dig the rest of the specs though. If it is a X4 965 then you could buy it then throw in a better graphics card which would make it more worth doing I suppose.

• sharp says:

hey that motherboard is an amazing overclocker you can go up to a fx 9590 i would go with that bost the gpu to like a 660 on ebay there pretty cheap now and eventually the cpu to a fx 6300 or 8300 or something like that but its a pretty awesome build for 400

9. Bill Murray (My Real Name) says:

Hey there, I just wanted to know which of the builds you would most recommend? I can afford up to around $550 and I want the most bang for my buck.

10. Victor says:

Quick question. If I’m using this exact build with the amd fx-6300 should I choose the option with the stock fan or processor only?

Victor,

Go with the stock fan option. You’ll need it in order to use the CPU.

Let me know if I can help any further as you move forward with your build and also make sure that you check out the above video before and during the actual process of putting everything together – it’s going to help ten fold!

11. Eric says:

Hey i was curious what windows i should get and if it should be 32 or 64 bit

Eric I recommend Windows 10 since it’s the newest OS right now that is made for gaming and you’ll want to go with 64bit since you’ll be able to have more than 4GB of RAM work on 64bit.

12. Zane says:

How future proof is it? Like how many years till the motherboard would need upgraded?

As is, Zane, I’d give it a good few years before needing to think about upgrading. You could upgrade the FX-4300 to the FX-8350 or overclock it for further performance with the right cooler. Then a graphics card upgrade down the road would be a good idea. As is it’ll handle today’s games at a tweaked med/high setting and then a few years down the road you’ll be looking at a tweaked med/low setting. That’s when you’ll want to think about upgrading.

The motherboard specifically, you wouldn’t really need to. There are capable upgrades that are compatible with the board down the road.

• Crimson says:

So if I wanted to future proof this build should I get the fx-8350 or the fx-6300?

Depending on your budget, both are capable with the FX-8350 being the obvious better choice. Depends on how much you want to stay in your budget range.

Both are better CPUs that would perform better with future titles.

13. Eric A. says:

Would one be able to instal both a hdd and a ssd on the build?

14. AJ says:

Hey Colton! If all I want to do is run Plague Inc. Evolved and DeSmuME on max settings (1080p 60fps), then is this build sufficient for me? Thanks! 🙂

P.S. DeSmuME is a Nintendo DS emulator.

15. AJ says:

I have 8GB DDR3 RAM. Will that work will the case?

16. AJ says:

Will this run Plague Inc. Evolved on max settings?

17. AJ says:

Will Sennheiser HD 202 headphones be good for this build?

18. Eric says:

Now that the requirements have been revealed, how would you say this build would do for Skyrim Special Edition? How would it do with conventional Skyrim?

Hey Eric,

I don’t think it’d be able to run it on max settings but these specs surpass the minimum requirements for sure. A tweaked high setting I’d assume for good FPS, can only know when it is ran on a similar system in the coming days. For conventional Skyrim I’d expect max settings with a high frame rate.

19. Chris Norris says:

I’m new to building pc’s and was wondering if I could put the AMD FX-6300 in it and is it worth the extra money? http://amzn.to/2fc8zax

20. John C says:

Hello, I’m very interested in this build, but my friend is giving me a core i5 4690k and it appears that the motherboard isn’t compatible with that. Is there any other motherboard that you can recommend to me that can fit this build?

Thank you very much!

21. Redthekitty says:

Hey could you tell me if the corsair spec me microatx (idk if I got that right) would be a good case for this budget build? I also wanted to know if you had any more recommendations for keyboards and mouses preferably a combo thanks a lot.

Redthekitty,

I think you’re talking about the Corsair SPEC cases but I’m not sure exactly which one you’re referring to, it’s best to provide a link to the case then I know which one you’re trying to see would work or not.

As for another combo – this combo by Redragon would suit it well!

22. Ahmadm says:

With this build up,
    Can it run Fifa 16 ?

23. Ahmad Bin Mohammad Razali says:

can i play fifa 17 using this build up

24. Kylie says:

Purchased this build and upgraded the video card (ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti GDDR5 2GB PCI Express 3.0 128-bit Graphics Card (GTX750TI-OC-2GD) as well as the processor (AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition)and have had nothing but trouble. I had been originally trying to install Windows 7. When doing updates it would not download correctly so I had to keep trying to fix the corrupted update file. Now I have given up on 7 for Windows 10 and things are going better, fingers crossed. Can you think of a reason that this would have happened? Other than a corrupted OS (I was using a disc and also downloaded Service Pack 1), could something have gone wrong when installing the parts that would cause this?
    Are they incompatible with 7?

Thanks for your time.

You’ve tried re-booting from the Windows disk completely? I don’t think it’d have anything to do with the actual parts, sounds to me like it messed up somewhere in the process of getting the files installed…

Let me know what happens with Windows 10!

• Kylie says:

We actually found, after having issues updating W10 that the motherboard is currently incompatible with W10, according to the Gigabyte website and there is no current fix. We have now been trying to get it to downgrade to Windows 8.1 and hopefully that will take care of it. This has been a frustrating month with computers for us.

What sort of issues? Did any error messages come up with Windows 10? I know for a fact that the board works with Windows 10, it simply came out when Windows 8 was first coming out so that’s why the board is marketed as “Windows 8 ready” but many people have installed Windows 10 onto this board.

• Kylie says:

Sorry I haven’t been updating on this. The computer was purchased for my husband, Josh, and he has been the one dealing with most issues on it. As of lately, we just said eff it and haven’t so much as looked at the PC. We have the terrible luck of only having a Cyberpower PC hard-copy of Windows 8 so we tried installing a generic Win8 code to test if the computer ran with it. It works so far, however, now the problem is that with the unoffical copy of Win8 on the computer, it will not update completely which doesn’t let us test any of our games anyway. This computer ended up being a paperweight for us, not your fault or anything, just sucks that we keep running into so many problems. Now I wish I would have just bought a computer that was more expensive and less powerful. At least I would have someone to yell at if it didn’t work after we bought it (with Windows installed). Again, not your build or anything, we tweaked it and it did not work in our favor. Hope we get it fixed after tax time, thanks for your support and comments along the way, Colton. I appreciate it.

Sorry to hear that it wasn’t able to really get figured out Kylie… good learning process though.

Have you tried getting in contact with Microsoft about the Windows copy? Did it come with a key? How come it’s “unofficial”? Do you know why you’re not able to test out games? I feel that even on a non-genuine/unofficial copy you’d still be able to test out some games?

You’re welcome for the help and happy to help more if I’m able!

25. Braydon says:

Will this be able to run simulation such as American truck simulator and euro truck. If so what level of settings

Hey Braydon,

For sure it’ll be able to. I wouldn’t expect maximum settings but a tweaked med/high setting would probably be ideal. Cyber Monday is right around the corner if you’d need more room in your budget but I’d recommend the FX-6300 CPU as an upgrade if you’re wanting even better performance!

26. Anthony says:

I have built the computer, and I put Windows 10 64 bit on a USB stick (without any drivers) and it won’t let me install it on the setup screen when I reach the page that sets up the drivers. I then went to add the drivers but found out that apparently, the motherboard doesn’t support Windows 10 altogether. Am I doing something wrong?

P.S. I do not have an activation key, I just skipped that page.

27. petro says:

hello, I am so new to pc stuff so can this desktop above run rainbow six siege on very high settings or no. And also if I want to upgrade parts, what kind of parts do I need to buy if I wanted to upgrade for playing rainbow six siege on very high settings and not worry about lag and stutter ect.

Hello Petro,

If you’re wanting to have good performance with Siege right out of the gate then I’d suggest saving up a bit more and moving forward with the $500 build instead. This build will be able to run Siege but not on very high settings. The $500 build will be able to run it with most settings set to high/very high.

If you still wanted to stick with this build then I’d suggest upgrading the CPU to the FX-6300 instead of the FX-4300 to have a bit more performance.

28. Nation says:

Can it run gta5 in high setup

29. Danny says:

Is the link for Windows 10 100% safe? Is there a chance I’ll lose my 100 dollars?

Danny,

It’s Amazon man – the most trusted online retailer. If Windows wouldn’t work from getting it (which it will work) then Amazon would work with you to get a refund/replacement quickly!

• Danny says:

Lol yeah I guess your right. Just one more question. Do u recommend I use the heatsink that comes already applied to the CPU fan or should I apply a more expensive brand?

Up to you, really depends on whether or not you’d want to overclock your CPU right away. If that’s the case then yes, I’d recommend picking up an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Let me know if you’d need a recommendation!

30. Svayam Sharma says:

I’m very new to pic and stuff and I bought gta v recently and my computer now makes gta v look so trashy and I was wondering if this build is good for this game because I just want it to work and look good and I’ve been looking at a lot of builds and I’ve seen a few good ones but this one catches the eye. Please let me know.

Hey Svayam,

Yes – you’d be able to run GTA V on a tweaked high setting for sure. It’s a great budget build!

Let me know if I can help any more as you move forward with your build!

31. Eric says:

Just for clarification, would this case be compatible with the build components?

Hey there Eric,

It’d only work if you planned on not using a DVD drive. There is no slot on that case for a DVD drive.

If you know what you’re doing when it comes to installing an operating system without the CD and getting the correct drivers installed without a CD then you’d be able to! Otherwise you could use this USB CD drive temporarily just to get everything installed!

32. Robustosaurus says:

Hey there Colton, the fx 4300 is pretty old, same goes with the dvd port, its just that no one needs ddr3 anymore, there CPU sockets have aged, take a Celeron G3900 as mad as it is, its good, DVD drive should be long gone, they take to much of your budget and should of went to the museum long ago, my 300$ pc blueprint has more modern specs than yours, (which is still in development, trying to cram in a better HDD and a CPU, I’m stuck with a 320 GB HDD from 2010 and a celeron G3900) also is the EVGA 400 watt PSU good? If it is good, it would help a ton, and potentially help me get a good HDD for around 20-30$

Ps is there a good hdd for 20-30$

Hey Robustosaurus,

The FX-4300 is old, sure, but it’s still significantly better than a G3900 even at stock speeds. After overclocking, the FX-4300 would prove to be a good CPU going forward.

The DVD drive is up to every person, some first time builders won’t know what to do when it comes to installing an operating system without a CD or getting the correct drivers installed and that’s why I share using a DVD drive. It streamlines that process.

400w of power should be good enough with no overclocking in mind. This hard drive from Western Digital is 320GB and it’s only $20! Let me know if that’s what you’re looking for!

Also another note, the above build could be “cookie cutter” if you wanted it to be but I want it to be looked at more as a template to start off from. Which is what you did, look forward to hearing more about your $300 build!

• Robustosaurus says:

Thanks for some tips but my first build was not even built by me and the OS was used with a USB which is very simple, but I’m a man of modernization and like to have a more modern and long lasting build, but your’s is old but still gold to use I agree, also not much of the community seems to care about 300$ but I’m trying and If I can manage to get one decent enough you will be the first to know and maybe take as your own.

PS THANK YOU FOR THE HARD DRIVE

Gotcha, that’s going to be quite the feat if you get it done! Definitely keep in touch and let me know about the $300 build!

Also you’re welcome for the find on the hard drive! 😉

33. Jgilbert1123 says:

Ok so ive looked your specs over, and i agree its a great price and performance for an upper mid level gaming system.

my question is. i currently dont have the $500 dollars to buy everything (im going to get the 8g ram and windows 10 oem). If i watched your very helpfull attached video correctly, all i need to get started is the mother board, cpu, ram, and power supply.

since the mother board has onboard graphics (right?)

i know this wont be remotely functional without the hard drive, i just want to be able bench test, and get to the bios screen.

i would then be able to order the graphics card, OS, case and hard drive once ive gotten the rest of the money.

i know ive not included the optical drive, as i have a dvd rw drive laying around (those are pretty much universal right?)

this shouldnt make for a more difficult install in any way as i wouldnt be skipping steps, just pausing in the middle right?

And on a seperate note, you mentioned the CPU is capable of overclocking, which will be my next project after this if everything goes smoothly, any suggestions on where i can start researching this, eg a column such as yours?

Hey Jgilbert1123,

Yes, I suppose you could get the build started like that if you wanted to. Some super old DVD drives wouldn’t work but if it seems to be the same type as what’s listed above then you shouldn’t run into any problems with it.

There is integrated graphics, so you’d be able to use it right away. As far as overclocking, there are many YouTube videos that would do a lot better showing how it’s done. I’d suggest doing research on the FX-4300 specifically in regards to overclocking, different guides and what not. And if you’re for sure wanting to overclock right away then you’ll also need an aftermarket CPU cooler since the stock cooler isn’t designed to be able to handle overclocked CPUs.

I would suggest the Noctua NH-L9A if you’re looking for something at the lower end of cost while also being able to pull off a decent overclock.

Let me know if I can help any more as you’re moving forward with your build man, I’m all ears here!

34. kalix says:

it says it is ddr3 not ddr4 can u find a mb I can upgrade to for ddr4

Sure Kalix but it’s going to change the processor as well and it’s going to bump up the price a good bit. DDR4 doesn’t increase gaming performance really so if you’re using the build strictly for gaming then I’d suggest going ahead and getting the build as is.

However if you want DDR4, I’d actually recommend just going with the $500 build instead since those changes are inevitable and the price will be very similar to it after said changes.

35. Tovi says:

Will this play modern games such as overwatch, cod bo3, wow, lol, etc.?

For sure Tovi, I wouldn’t expect to be able to run them on the higher up graphics settings but all of today’s games will be playable on this build, more so at a tweaked med settings for optimal FPS.

36. Leonardo says:

I have a question is the Lenovo T460 ThinkPad Intel I7 a good laptop to games on high settings?

Definitely not Leonardo. The graphics that comes with, Intel HD graphics 520, will not be able to handle really any of today’s games. That’s the problem with laptops like that today… they can’t really game all that well.

This build for example blows that laptop out of the water when looking at power per dollar spent. Maybe also look into the $500 build if that’s in your budget range? With that build you’ll be running games at high settings 1080p for sure!

37. Monqesas says:

Can this build run dead by daylight

38. Daniel K says:

Hello This is Daniel

I just had few basic simple question.

1. The things listed above is all you need?
    2. Will this Set up run League of Legends in Medium setting?

Hello Daniel,

Yes, everything listed above will come with all of the cables and what not that you’d need to put everything together.

League will run on higher settings than medium for sure! Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with the build!

• Caleb C. says:

Hey! So I built this exactly the way you have it but I swapped out the gtx 1050 for a 1050 ti. My problem is it doesn’t seem to want to work. Nothing shows up on the monitor when I power it on, so I tried taking out the gpu and running it off the mother board but it won’t even power up when I hit the button. Yet when I plug in my usb mouse it lights up fine. Quite frustrating. Assuming I do get this to work (if you can help me) will the 1050 ti allow me to run overwatch at max settings with good frames? And lastly, I’m using my old laptop hard drive from a couple years ago, just with a SATA extension converter thing. Is that alright?

Hey Caleb,

Powering it on results in fans moving for you? That’s something to know for sure. The 1050 Ti should be able to run well at a tweaked high/max settings at 1080p. As far as the FX-4300, it’ll do well in that same context. Will just have to tweak the settings around a bit to find what’s most optimal but it’ll definitely look good! Saying you’ll have to tweak if you want to hit 60 FPS.

Are you using a video port from the graphics card into your monitor? Also as far as what you’re doing with your hard drive… I really don’t know if that’s going to work or not. I’ve never tried that and have never heard of anyone being able to do that in my experience.

• Caleb C. says:

Hey! Thanks for responding. We got everything working again but the monitor won’t detect the PC and the BIOS won’t load. As for the Hard drive it seemed to work because I could hear it spinning up. We’ve tried both DVI and HDMI

• Caleb C. says:

Ok. Update: th beeps we hear seem to indicate a gpu problem but I’m not sure how to be 100% certain about that. The only alternatives is something is either wrong with the mobo or CPU

How many beeps are you hearing? Any significant pauses/long beeps?

Use this page as a guide to see what’s going on, let me know!

39. Caleb C. says:

What my ears are telling me is one long consistent beep. Then a short pause and it repeats. What I got from googling for quite a while the other day is that this is a memory issue. So I’ve ordered new ram that will get here tomorrow. Hopefully this shall fix it. If not, I will update one more!

40. Tom D. says:

Is it better if I replace the AMD cpu with an Intel i3 6100 and keep the rest of the build the same. Will there be any bottleneck in issues?

41. Guy123 says:

Will the GTX 1050 SSC ACX 3.0 be compatible? Also does it perform better than the GTX 1050 SC (Single Fan?

Hey Guy123,

You’re referring to this exact card then, right?

If so then yes, it’d work just fine. It’s not super significantly faster than the other, but there is a bit of a difference in performance. I’d pick it up if you were interested in overclocking it down the road.

42. Tom D. says:

Alright thank you! Now I am also looking at the fx-6300 instead of the 4300. Would this be a better cpu and will there need to be any compatibility issues if this is the only change.

43. Caleb C. says:

Success! It indeed was a motherboard issue. Have replaced it and now it works! Aside from unforeseeable issues thank you so much for the build!

44. Rafae; says:

Would this be alright for streaming CSGO?

45. Tristan says:

Could I replace this processor with the processor from the $500 build? (Currently the Intel i3-6100 3M)
    Or even an Intel i5?
    If I could would it even be worth it? I’m only using this for gaming, nothing else besides web browsing and Office.
    I’m not sure how to check for compatibility between parts and I definitely don’t want to screw it up.
    Thank you so much for this, it’s a life saver.

46. ToastDude says:

Do I need to buy thermal paste and screws? Also what kind of graphics card should I eventually upgrade too??

Hey ToastDude,

Thermal paste is going to come pre-applied to the stock cooler that comes with the processor and a good upgrade down the road would probably be something like a GTX 1070 if you’re wanting something future proof. I suppose a 6GB 1060 would also be a viable upgrade but a 1070 would make more sense!

47. Daniel says:

I see you changed a few things from last years $400 build. Is this graphics card compatable with the gigabyte motherboard u had on your last build?

48. Jenny says:

Hello Colton! My son is 13 and was going to try to build your $400 build for his first gaming computer. After we added everything up (keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.) I decided the $ was a little more than my budget allows. You seem extremely knowledgeable about gaming computers. Would you care to tell me what you think about this and let me know if my son will be able to play a game called “Dead by Daylight” and other newer games? I would REALLY appreciate your input as I know nothing about computers.

Hello Jenny!

Unfortuneately that PC doesn’t come close to the spec requirements for games like Dead By Daylight… The graphics for that PC is very low tech and wouldn’t be worth getting for a gaming PC.

49. peter Hungerford says:

Thank you so much for this build, had a little trouble getting windows 10 onto it but now that it’s up and running I love it so much.

50. Zachary Burkle says:

Hey Colton, you probably dont remember me because the last time I commented was a year ago. The computer you helped me build has been serving me faithfully for as long as I can remember. The pc runs most games at 70 fps or higher on high settings. Currently I am working on making my dream setup. The only problem I have with my build is its OS. This isn’t your fault, I just think it’s kind of funny, and you might be able to help me. So the OS on my computer is from my first computer, a computer that I built in a kirkwood class. Kirkwood gave out operating systems with the computers, but they weren’t full licensed copies. They were educational copies that windows allowed them to hand out for very cheap. I did not realize this at the time of upgrading, so I moved the bad copy to my new computer. It had no visible problems which, come to think of it, is odd considering it is an unlicensed “half copy” of windows. After a running on Windows 7 for a while, Windows ten came out. I got the free upgrade, but since my old copy of Windows 7 was not a full copy, it made windows ten unable to overwrite some of the code it needed. Now I have a unlicensed copy of windows ten running on my computer without a key. This probably sounds pretty bad, but we are only scratching the surface. Since windows ten was unable to rewrite some of the windows seven code, it left a corrupted, blue screening “ghost copy” of windows seven behind. This created what is called a Dual Boot. A dual boot is where you can choose between two operating systems when booting your computer up. According to a software person, this is NOT. SUPPOSED. TO HAPPEN.
    My computer is a special snowflake! 😀

So the software guy has never seen this before. He said that under the circumstances, this should NOT HAVE HAPPENED. Since the software guy has not seen this before, he doesnt really know how to solve it. The idea is that I need to put a new copy of windows on and then fresh instal it and wipe the other windows from my computer. Any other ideas on how to fix this mess?

Hmmmm that is definitely an odd outcome man…

I’ve also never heard of that happening. Sounds like you might have to go with a clean install… I’m not sure what else would be able to work. Could look at a key site such as Kinguin to get a key for super cheap just make sure that the seller you’re working with is legit!