Best Gaming Computer For $600 Dollars, Prepared To Dominate PC Gaming In 2017

Wondering how you can get yourself the best gaming computer for under $600 dollars? Well look no further because this build is not only going to blow 2017 out of the water but it’s also going to blow your mind. 🙂

Maximize Your Potential With Your $600 Budget

In order to get MAXIMUM potential out of a gaming computer you’re going to have to build one yourself. Now most people that have never even thought of or tried to build a computer might think that it sounds like an impossible task but in reality it really isn’t that hard at all! 😀 There are plenty of tutorials out there on the internet on how to build a computer but the one I think is best is done by NeweggTV.

Newegg created a video series showing how to start from scratch to build the gaming computer of your dreams. Before I got into PC gaming I was gaming on a console. When I found out about all of the modding potential and the overall community that comes with PC gaming I just had to get into it.

When I researched pre-built desktops I was shocked by how expensive it was and when I kept reading I found out that most of the $600 computers aren’t even powerful enough to keep up with today’s hardware demands of PC games.

That’s why building a computer is so much better. This custom build could easily retail for $1,000+ so you can be sure you’re going to have a beast of a gaming computer after you finish building this one.

This is the same video that I watched from beginning to end when all of my PC parts finally came in the mail. Sure it took me some time but the time spent building it was well worth it because I can now enjoy the luxury of great looking games and being able to modify them to my hearts desire. 🙂

I do have to say that if you’re looking to build your own custom gaming computer I must first say CONGRATS. 😀

You’re about to join one of the most amazing gaming communities that the gaming industry has to offer and you’re also about to experience a fully customizable platform. This custom PC will not only be able to run games such as Dying Light, Grand Theft Auto V, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Evolve on higher graphical settings but you’re also giving yourself access to the benefits of just having a computer!

I mean you’re probably going to own some kind of computer anyway so why not make it a gaming beast on top of it?

In my opinion that is totally worth the little extra investment. 😉

Last Updated: January 17th, 2017

caseCase – Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower

cpu Processor – Intel Core i3-6100

MotherboardMSI LGA 1151 H110M PRO-VD PLUS

gpu Video Card – ASUS Radeon Rx 480 4GB OC

RAM – Crucial 8GB DDR4 Single

500Power Supply – EVGA 500W

81Dg81MArtL._SL1500_ Hard Drive – Seagate 1TB

This build is AWESOME and trust me when I say you won’t regret putting this build together for yourself! Prepare yourself to being able to play your games at full 1080p HD resolution while still using the highest graphical texture settings. If you have a monitor with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 then you should try that resolution out as well because I’m pretty sure this card can handle it. 🙂

The computer case is entirely up to you, the one that I have listed above is the close to the cheapest one on Amazon but it is still a pretty good case. If you want to browse computer cases then do so by Clicking Here! For the most part, mid tower cases will do just fine with this build. Feel free to ask me about a specific case if you’d like, you can do so in the comments area below!

If you’re looking to get the best bang for your buck then I suggest just sticking with this case. Besides, it doesn’t really matter what your PC looks like but more so of how well it runs! 😉

The Intel i3-6100 is a pretty awesome processor especially for this build. Intel processors work great with Nividia graphics cards and you’re guaranteed a smooth and fast computing experience with this processor.

I had to make the switch to the i3-6100 from the FX-8350 simply because it makes more sense when looking at the prices today. Performance wise, the main difference between the two is that the FX-8350 would be better at heavy rendering tasks and it’s also able to be overclocked for further performance potential.

At stock, the i3-6100 is still a very good CPU to go with when you’re thinking of using the build strictly for gaming. It also gives you room for an upgrade path down the road whenever you deem it necessary to upgrade. You could get something like an i5-6600 or an i7-6700 if you really wanted to pump up the performance.

A couple notes regarding the motherboard – it doesn’t have any features for overclocking. If you wanted to have a board for overclocking because you know that you’ll want to upgrade to a CPU that is able to overclock down the road then let me know in the comments and I’ll point you in the right direct for one that’ll have what you’ll need!

Also, one or possibly both of the PCI-E slots may not be useable because of the size of the graphics card. If you planned on using those slots for adapters then you may want to consider going with a bigger motherboard.

Having the RC 480 4GB card is going to put you in awe the moment you start up your first game on this custom build. This would have been a great upgrade for me from my last card which was a Radeon HD 7770. That card was able to run Skyrim at max and Dragon Age: Inquisition on med-high tweaked settings. This card blows that card WAY out of the water and you can expect some pretty amazing frame rates out of this card.

To be honest, the 480 is going to be the best choice for a video card since it’s at a pretty optimal price point price point for for today’s market. It wasn’t long ago when the prices weren’t making much sense.

As far as an upgrade path from the 480 – you shouldn’t worry about it for a good while yet. If you’re gaming at 1080p and/or plan to do some virtual reality gaming then you’re going to be set for a good while yet. Sure, something like a 1060/1070 might have a bit of a performance boost, especially with the 1070, but when it comes to this budget point the 480 is going to be your best pick.

You’ll also want to pick up a keyboard/mouse combo as well as a monitor to really finish up the build. Check out this keyboard/mouse combination by Cooler Master, it’s an amazing combo for the price point.

As far as a monitor, this specific build is going to be able to run games at a 1080p resolution extremely well, so it’d be in your best interest to pick up a monitor at that resolution for the best quality you can get.

71r1E7x7PlL._SL1500_MonitorAsus VS228H

You can’t go wrong with a $600-ish budget. This PC is definitely bound to impress you especially if you are currently using an out-dated computer. Once you build your computer and get the operating system installed you will instantly notice the difference!

As far as operating systems go, this would be a decision that is entirely up to you. For now I’d recommend picking up Windows 10 simply because I love the interface behind it and gaming for me hasn’t been an issue.

Windows 10 is sort of the overall best contender for those looking for the most optimal performance for gaming on an operating system. There are other choices as well but if you’re looking for an OS that is going to be able to run some of the most popular games then Windows 10 is going to be your best bet. Almost every single PC game is made for it.

SteamOS, a Linux based operating system by Valve, is also making some noise in the OS space. In my opinion, it will eventually be the best operating system if your computer is strictly for gaming use.

If you cannot afford Windows right now then I would suggest going the Linux route with Ubuntu. Not all games on Steam’s platform are compatible with Linux but that is soon to change. There are still plenty of free and paid games to enjoy on Linux and Windows.

Ubuntu is an open-source, FREE operating system that you can use to easily use the internet and play some pretty fun games. If you don’t have the extra $100 for Windows but you still want to use it then you could just throw Ubuntu on your computer then save up until you can afford it. Then you could either dual boot both operating systems or just go with one of them.

Now there is also an option of pirating Windows but I don’t condone to this at all and no I’m not going to show you how to do it. If you really want to go that route thenw there are plenty of YouTube videos for that but again please don’t ask me how to do it.

Oh, and if you’re wanting to connect to wifi in the best way possible then I recommend going broadband. It’s the fastest and most reliable way of connecting to the internet with a desktop. You should check out the wireless network adapter below if you’re interested in that! I’ve also included a link to a 64bit version of Windows 10.

ALWAYS make sure that you go for 64bit otherwise you won’t be able to use all 8GB of the RAM that you’ve got!

Check out those links above! The USB adapter will allow you to be able to have internet with Windows 10! 😉

All in all, if you’re looking to run all of the games coming out in 2017 on some higher graphic settings then this is the build for you. The combination of this card and processor is going to blow your mind. (Seriously.) 😉

So what do you guys think of this build? Beast mode system right?! 😀

Let me know in the comments below!

P.S. If you have any questions about this build or anything on my site then feel free to comment and ask! 😀

1,915 Responses to Best Gaming Computer For $600 Dollars, Prepared To Dominate PC Gaming In 2017

1. Matthias says:

Hey, I’m looking to sneak the price back down to $600 by getting a slightly cheaper video card. At $200 I’m looking at the RX 470 and the EVGA GTX 1060 3GB. Do you have a suggestion between the two?

2. Ben says:

Hey, I heard that AMD processors are not that great when it comes to gaming PCS and that Intel are better. Also would this computer be able to run the newer games like overwatch or even H1Z1 KOTK.

Hey Ben,

Really depends on the budget point. At this budget point, the 8350 is a great processor to use. AMD processors are also able to overclock to higher performance levels with the right cooler and they are able to do that at a much lower price point then Intel processors that are able to be overclocked.

This build would be ideal for today’s games and new games at 1080p, at high settings.

3. nuclearjasper says:

Hya wondering on getting a new PC… So my budget is 600-850$ but going for cheap as possible 😉
    Need a good PC able to handle: Naval Action, World of Warships, BF1, and future 3D games. Is this build up to the task?
    (All at max settings)

NuclearJasper,

I wouldn’t expect 100% max settings. If you went in with the mindset of running upcoming and current games at a tweaked ultra/high setting then you’d be able to run the games very smoothly. Some games will run at max settings for sure with no problems but I wouldn’t go in expecting to be able to run absolutely everything at max. Each game has different hardware demands.

I think at your budget point you’d be happy with this build 🙂

4. Kevin says:

Im really worried about the operating system as the hardest part to install. I’ve found videos that you just put a disc in for the operating system but what if you take out that disc? will the operating system be down? I dont know about you but i might need that disc slot for something else. I thought the system you download, and will be internally inside the computer, but you have to use something you can just easily take and put back in, i just feel that isn’t very safe for a 100 dollar disc to be. Also, the WiFi, i dont know if i want some thing sticking out my computer as i might hit it by accident and break it. You cant just do wireless with no add ons?

Hey Kevin,

If you were to follow the above video the the T on the part of installing the OS then you won’t have any problems. I think you’re overthinking the process because it really isn’t that hard to do.

If you were to take the disc out during installation then yes, that might mess up the process. But you’d be able to start it over again.

As for wifi, you can plug the USB adapter into a back USB slot if you wanted to or you could go with a PCIE adapter. Some motherboards have wifi built in but they’re very expensive and not worth it at this price point.

5. Aaron Reid says:

My Specs:
    Graphics Card – zotac geforce gtx 960 4gb vram
    CPU – AMD FX-8350 w/ stock fan
    RAM – 8GB
    Case – Thermaltake Versa H22 CA-1B3-00M1NN-00 Mid-tower Computer Chassis (Black)
    PSU – EVGA 500 W

I’ve heard complaints that the FX-8350 could overheat with the stock heatsink, I run games like Borderlands 2, Borderlands the Presequel, Fallout 4 and I will be playing skyrim remastered, what is the likelyhood of the CPU overheating while im playing any of those games at max settings?

6. Stephen Steiger says:

How is this ASUS rx 480 compared to the evga gtx 960 originally listed for this build?

Stephen,

The RX 480 is more comparable to a 970, the next step up from a 960.

• Stephen Steiger says:

So it’s worth getting over the 960? I’m just worried about the quality. I’ve just received my cpu so now I have everything on the list except for the video card but it’s been near impossible let to find do the 960 for less then 350$.

• Stephen Steiger says:

My buddy got the exact build and says the evga is the only way to go. His only complaint is that he wishes he’d got a 970.

EVGA make great nVidia cards but it’s definitely not the only choice. When looking at the 480 line up you’re not going to find EVGA because they deal specifically with nVidia.

If you want, check out some gameplay videos with the RX 480 in action. It’s extremely close to 970 performance but for less cost!

Yes it’d be 100% worth it. The 960 is basically a previous generation at this point and the 480 absolutely blows it out of the water. Trust me 😉

7. Pedro says:

Hey colton i was wondering wich one is the best graphic card i can use with this build without upgrading the power suply or any component and that fit in the mid tower case

8. 501stGeneral says:

How much better will this PC run GTA V than the 600$ build at a tweaked high setting?

501stGeneral,

This build will be able to run a smooth 60 FPS at high settings, not sure which build you’re comparing to since this comment is on the same build though.

9. 501stGeneral says:

Sorry I meant the 500$ build.

You’ll get about a 20+ish boost in frames per second in comparison to the other build. Depends on what settings you want to leave on and what not. The RX 480 is going to be able to handle some really high graphics settings!

10. Kazz says:

Hey, i wonder if this setup is good enough for games like H1Z1 or Rainbow Six : Siege? I asked a gamer and he said a setup for 600 isnt great for Rainbow Six : Siege.

Hey there Kazz,

Yes, this build would be ideal for high quality 1080p gaming. The “gamer” you talked to probably doesn’t understand the power of a FX-8350 and a RX 480. You’ll be able to run H1Z1 and Siege on very high settings with good FPS for sure.

11. Ano says:

you know any other case at the same quality and price that would fit this build?

12. Pedro says:

hey colton i have been reseaching a lot latelly about the chipset of the mother boards and i was wondering if the chipset of that moderboard which i saw it was a 760 is good enought to handle the fx-8350, and what do you think about this mother board which has a 970 chipset and right now is cheaper than the mother board you listed above

You’re not going to see differences in gaming performance, you’ll see differences in what is on the board and the overall UI of it. The above board I have listed has all of the features you’d need going forward if you ever decided to overclock the 8350 though some more higher priced boards may be able to handle that a bit better.

Check out this post on the main differences between the chipsets, it should help!

13. Hank M says:

Hey,
    I’ve recently been revisiting the idea of building a PC and really like this build. I’m just worried about how old the processor is. Is that going to cause any problems with newer games?

Hey there Hank,

The FX-8350 is listed as the spec requirement for VR gaming today. Although it was released a bit ago doesn’t mean that it has “old” performance. It’s a really great processor that can also be overclocked for further performance potential.

14. Stephen Steiger says:

I’m giving myself a 250$ budget for a video card. Which card should I go with for this build given my budget?

15. Kevin says:

Here is my build, make any suggestions or comments without hesitation or anything i need to change- thanks!
    Note- everything is from amazon!

Graphics card-
    EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB SSC GAMING, Silent Cooling Graphics Card 02G-P4-2957-KR

Case-

Keyboard/mouse-
    Cooler Master Devastator II – Green LED Gaming Keyboard & Mouse Combo (SGB-3032-KKMF1-US)

Motherboard-
    Gigabyte AM3+ AMD DDR3 1333 760G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard GA-78LMT-USB3

DVD thingy-
    Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Headset-
    [2016 Newly Updated USB Gaming Headset] SADES A60/OMG Computer Over Ear Stereo Heaphones With Microphone Noise Isolating Volume Control LED Light (Black+White) For PC & MAC

RAM/Memory-
    Crucial 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s PC3-12800 CL11 Unbuffered UDIMM 240-Pin Desktop Memory CT102464BA160B

Monitor-
    ASUS VS228H-P 21.5″ Full HD 1920×1080 HDMI DVI VGA Back-lit LED Monitor

Processor-
    AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition Processor

Power supply-
    EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

Drive thingy-
    Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)

• Kevin says:

Sorry i messed up copy and paste, my case is
      Thermaltake Versa H22 Window CA-1B3-00M1WN-00 Mid-tower Computer Chassis (Black)

Also is the wireless thingy required for wireless conection to wifi?

thanks

Everything looks great to me Kevin expect I’d recommend the above graphics card over the 950. Just a bit better performance and last I checked a better price point as well!

16. Juan says:

Sorry, but will work with this build?

17. Stephen Steiger says:

I noticed the asus you have listed doesn’t have a backplate.since I am building my first pc I’m just curious what the importance of a backplate is.Also as far as brands go who do you prefer when it comes to MSI ASUS and gigabyte.

Often times the backplate is used for adding water blocks for extra cooling, it’s also for aesthetics. It’s not essential really.

Well I have the ASUS card above listed and that’s the brand I personally like, they’re all going to be virtually the same performance so it really comes down to which brand you like/want to support. ASUS has always been about super high quality parts that last and that’s why I like them.

• Stephen Steiger says:

Thanks man I really appreciate all of the ad ice you have given. ONE last question I have for you then I’ll quit bugging you haha. You’ve linked a different cpu fan for this build I was wondering if you could link it again because I can’t seem to find it in the comments.

Was the link to a comment to you? If not then honestly I’ll have a hard time finding the comment. The CPU cooler that will come with the processor will work just fine if you’re not planning on overclocking right away. If you have plans for overclocking then you’ll want to use an aftermarket CPU cooler.

18. Tyler says:

I want a pc so bad, and i might finally have enough money, gonna be my first pc, but I wanted to ask if the windows 10 is necessary? Like do I need a program like that to play games or is that just a preference?

Hey Tyler,

An operating system like Windows 10 is what a computer needs in order to really operate any action. Without an operating system, the parts aren’t going to be able to be used for applications and what not so yes it is required!

Let me know if I can help more as you move forward with your build man, I’m all ears!

19. Kevin says:

Will this keyboard and mouse work? The cooler master devastator combo is REALLY varying price, and most colors are amazon prime members.
    Redragon S101 Vajra USB Gaming Keyboard with Centrophorus USB Gaming Mouse

20. Nikolai says:

Hey i have somewhere from a 500-580 build and i was wondering if i could use this case
    and what would be a good upgrade with the extra 70 and im also waiting on black friday/ cyber monday sells and if i get the rx 480 will it bottleneck the cpu?

Hey there Nikolai,

From looking at the dimensions of it – it should be able to fit everything! As far as the extra bit I’d suggest looking at an 8GB RX 480 for further future proof power.

There won’t be any bottleneck with the FX-8350, it’s definitely good to go there!

21. Stephen Steiger says:

Will this card work for the build and is it a good upgrade from the asus listed above?

It’d work Stephen but performance wise it’d really depend on the game. Each card has more frames on certain games than the other.

The 1060 is a bit better in most games and in my opinion nVidia has better driver support but if you were able to spend more then I’d suggest going with the GTX 1070 instead for even better overall performance.

22. Crow says:

Same Processor and Video Card, pre-built, comes with windows 10. keyboard + mouse, and 600W PSU, but without an optical drive for only 10$ more? or am i missing something? XD

Usually the price of these parts are lower but as supply and demand changes up so do the prices. Usually it’s significantly cheaper than a pre-built with the same specs. If you want it, go for it!

23. tommy w says:

I was wondering if the corsair carbide series 100R silent edition quiet mid tower case would work with this build.

24. Sam Groth says:

Doesnt this motherboard need two sticks of ram?

25. Montana Shrader says:

Hey Colton, I was wondering if there were any other good motherboards that could go with this build. I have a 50-90 dollar budget for a motherboard was just wondering because the above motherboard isn’t on Amazon.

For sure Montana, I’d recommend this one by Asus if you wanted to get the most out of your budget for it!

• Montana Shrader says:

Thanks Colton for the advice. I hate to bother you again but I want to get an ssd aswell. Budget around 100, know what the best bang for my buck would be?

You’re not a bother at all Montana! This is what the comments are for 😛

Most SSDs that have more storage of upwards of 480GB+ will cost more than $100. I’d recommend this one by PNY if you’re looking for one that’s at a fair price for 240GB. As I said, more storage than that is going to cost more than $100 but 240GB will be more than enough for the OS, your most used programs and a few games you play a lot!

• Montana Shrader says:

Thanks for the advice Colton, if i have anymore questions I’ll be sure to come back 😛 I plan on ordering this during Black Friday.

Anytime! I’m more than happy to help! 😀

That’s a pretty good idea, there will be some pretty good deals going on! Be sure to look at the builds during the weekend for updates and if it works well I’ll also do posts of deals that I have found so be on the lookout!

26. Matt says:

So this still works pretty well?

27. Sam Groth says:

What is a different motherboard that i can use because i ordered this board and it was DOA so i would like to try another brand

That happens once in a blue moon Sam, very seldom that happens. You’ve contacted Amazon to get it returned and everything? They’ll work with you to make sure you get your money back.

If you wanted to go with another brand then I’d also suggest this one by ASRock or this one by Asus – both boards have the features you’d need going forward!

28. Tommy w says:

Was there any difference in the other graphics card just wondering why you switched it out

Performance wise, not really Tommy.

I changed the card because the above one is available for a lower price point while still offering similar performance. Trying my best to keep the builds within the budget range.

29. Willard says:

Hello Everyone,

I went with this build last year and so some of the components are different (same mobo, optical drive, and hd).

Amd fx 8320
    EVGA gtx 960 4gb ssc acx 2.0
    crucial ballistix 8gb 1 stick

My monitor is a viewsonic va2246m led 60hz. The problem I am having is screen tearing at 1080p at med/high settings, vysnc is set to adaptive. The only way for me to take care of the issue is to turn down the resolution but then I get stuttering when I move around in witcher 3 and doom. Will the asus monitor you recommended solve my problem?

Hey Willard,

Screen tearing is supposed to go away after turning on VSync. Are there other options for VSync that you’d be able to use while maybe turning down other graphics settings other than the resolution?

I personally don’t think it’d be your monitor but are you able to test your theory with another monitor? A TV perhaps? Also you’re using a DVI cable for the connection right?

• Willard says:

I currently have vsync set to adaptive in the Nvidia control panel. I have tried 1080p with everything on low and there is still screen tearing.

Yes, I am using a DVI cable for the connection. I will have to ask a friend to see if I can borrow their monitor…

30. Tommy w says:

Will the rx 480 8gb graphics card work with this build

31. Garrett says:

Would a msi gtx 1060 work with this build?

32. Jose says:

Hey, I was wondering if i could replace the processor with an i7. I have no idea how this all works as this is going to be my first pc build

33. Jose says:

k the wrong board, I meant to post it I the $500 build. I’m sorry

All good! Depends on which i7 you were wanting to use. Also Jose you should know that you should only want to go for an i7 CPU if you are going to be using your PC heavily with rendering, 3D modeling or other CPU intensive tasks. An i7 is overkill if you’re only using your PC for gaming.

34. Matthew says:

I was just curious if an i3 and matching motherboard would be better than the and, as I’ve heard they are more efficient or better for some reason

Hey Matthew,

The FX-8350 is the better CPU when looking at doing other tasks other than gaming, the i3-6100 performs a bit better with games but not by a super huge amount. The FX-8350 is also able to be overclocked leaving room for further performance potential.

35. Matthew says:

Would you recommend the intel or amd processor? You have the $500 and $700 builds with intel processors but the $400 and $600 with amd. Which would be better for gaming and general use stuff?

How I see it is that it depends on your budget. For those price ranges I feel that they’re the more ideal CPU to go with. The FX-8350 is a cheaper CPU that way you’re able to fit a higher end GPU like the one listed above. By going with an Intel CPU that has the same or better level of performance you wouldn’t be able to get a better graphics card and most games depend more on the graphics card rather than the CPU.

36. Zander says:

Hi. I am looking to get this amazing PC, but I already have a GPU, and a PSU (500 WAT) and I would like to know if mine is compatable with this build, I have a MSI Radeon R9 270 (not the x version) PCI-E x16 3.0. Would this work? I’m looking to order all of this today bc of cyber monday :D. Thank you in advance.

37. Alyis Hernandez says:

Hello Colton. I’ve been looking forward to making a pc and was wondering if I could swap the fx 8350 with a i5 6500. Would I have to switch the mother board too? Love this website by the way.

38. Jack says:

Hey Colton can you suggest which mother board will go best with the intel I5 6500 processor

39. AndersPanders says:

Hey Colton, What’s your opinion on swapping out the video card with http://amzn.to/2fQEkr2 ? gonna be buying it piece by piece and might as well start off with the most expensive. Thanks!

AndersPanders,

There really isn’t going to be a crazy, significant difference between the two. I’d personally rather go with the card that costs less at the time that you pick up the graphics card!

40. Fahim Rahman says:

Hey I would like to use the
    ASUS GeForce 6GB instead of the ASUS Radeon Rx 480 4GB. Is that fine?

Link of the one I would like to use: http://amzn.to/2gZNiBS

Thanks,

41. Colin Monaco says:

I have little experience with PC’s or any gaming computer at that. This looks like a good place to start and I was wondering if it would be okay to replace the case listed above with this one. http://amzn.to/2gIKvJZ

Hey there Colin,

Yes – that case would work just fine! It’ll fit everything inside.

Let me know if I can help any more as you’re moving forward with your build, I’m all ears here!

42. Stu says:

Couple of questions. First, I recently purchased a 65″ Samsung UN65KU6300 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV. I’d like to move forward with this $600 build but want to maximize my new TV. Is that recommended? Also, by using the components you’ve listed above. Could I swap out for ANY mid tower case and be ok? I’m also very concerned about cooling. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi there Stu,

I mean, you’ll be able to use the PC at 4K resolution. Now with gaming in mind, you’re going to see significant dips in frame rates. I’d recommend scaling down to 1440p or even 1080p on your 4K TV if you want the higher frame rates.

I’m not saying that the RX 480 isn’t capable of gaming at 4K, it definitely can, but you shouldn’t expect a buttery smooth experience on super high end games. You’ll for sure be able to navigate the desktop and play lower end games with no issues at 4K but when it comes to playing AAA titles and what not, 4K is going to be a bit much for a RX 480.

Most mid tower cases will work but not every single one on the market. I’d suggest taking a look at the mid tower cases on Amazon and if you find one that you dig link it here in a new comments and I’ll be able to let you know whether or not if it’d work!

As far as cooling, I could also recommend some aftermarket coolers if you’d like? That’d be the better decision for the future.

Let me know what you’d like to do! Also let me know if you ever have any other questions as you’re moving forward with the build, I’m all ears here!

43. Kevin says:

Any alternative for the power supply? Its only for amazon prime members now. 😛 thanks!

44. Apayne7 says:

Is there any specific CPU fan you could suggest for this build? I built this and it runs nicely, but can get a little loud at times.

Hey there Apayne7,

Yeah the stock AMD cooler can get a bit noisy. There’s a bit of a process involved with getting the stock cooler replaced with an aftermarket cooler but it’s 100% possible, be sure to check out some YouTube videos on how to properly change out the cooler with a new one.

I’d recommend going with the Cooler Master GeminII M4 or the Corsair H60 depending on your budget and what type of cooler you’d rather use. Both are going to be significantly quieter in comparison to the stock cooler. The H60 is a liquid cooler which would allow for even higher levels of overclocking whereas the GeminII M4 cooler is simply a much better and quieter cooler, can handle low/mid levels of overclocking.

45. Ethan Norton says:

Hi there! This is an amazing article, but I have one question. I just started gaming and my parents and I are saving up to get a normal laptop that will cost around 600 dollars. I really would like to get this as a computer, but I don’t know if they would go for it, as my computer would need to do some school on. Could I use this gaming build to do normal stuff on like create documents and just do everyday stuff on? My guess would be yes if I got the Windows 10 operating system. Please respond to this ASAP as my parents and I are still looking. p.s. Do you mind including some way I could pitch this idea to my parents? 🙂 Thanks! Have a great day!

Hi Ethan! Glad that you’re digging the site!!

When looking at power per dollar spent, a desktop build at $600 versus a laptop has a significant amount more power. Like, a lot more power. So that’d be one reason to tell them – a build would have a lot more power and if your school work requires using programs and what not that would benefit from that power then all the more reason to go for it.

With installing Windows 10 yes – you’d be able to create documents and what not just like any other PC. You could also bring up how it’d be an awesome learning experience for both you and them for putting together a computer with them, it’d be good bonding time! 😉

Let me know what you decide to do man!

46. Qaiyum says:

I got nzxt s340 for free…..can i use it for this build?

Qaiyum,

It’ll be able to fit all of the hardware except for the CD drive.

If you know what you’re doing when it comes to downloading and installing the right drivers online as well as installing an operating system without the CD then you’ll be good to go. Otherwise you’ll want to use a different case if you wanted to streamline that process.

47. Ryan says:

Will a zalman z9 neo case work with this build?

48. Ken H says:

I’m a little late to this but happened upon it while looking at the Skytech Archangel. I built my last machine in late 2006 and it just gave up the ghost after numerous upgrades. I had thought that with current prices building a new one was pointless but I see I was mistaken.

What is your opinion on a SSD for the OS and if you think it worthwhile can you recommend a reasonable one for this build?

Hey there Ken,

It’s a great time for doing PC builds! Prices are only getting better and better.

I’m super happy that I decided to add a SSD to my build. It makes boot times much faster and the few games/programs that I have installed also run a lot faster in comparison to a traditional HDD. I have a post right here all about the differences between the two, I’d recommend checking it out!

Depending on how much storage you’re looking to have on it, I’d recommend these SSDs from PNY because they’re available right now for a really good price and they have awesome performance!

49. Marshall Pike says:

How hot should this card get when playing graphically intensive games? I have this build and I have been enjoying it, except just this month I have noticed the 480 is running a little bit hotter than usual and sometimes gets to 70 degrees Celsius. Should I be worried?

50. Darren Vu says: