Best Gaming Computer For $600 Dollars, Prepared To Dominate PC Gaming In 2017

Wondering how you can get yourself the best gaming computer for under $600 dollars? Well look no further because this build is not only going to blow 2017 out of the water but it’s also going to blow your mind. 🙂

Maximize Your Potential With Your $600 Budget

In order to get MAXIMUM potential out of a gaming computer you’re going to have to build one yourself. Now most people that have never even thought of or tried to build a computer might think that it sounds like an impossible task but in reality it really isn’t that hard at all! 😀 There are plenty of tutorials out there on the internet on how to build a computer but the one I think is best is done by NeweggTV.

Newegg created a video series showing how to start from scratch to build the gaming computer of your dreams. Before I got into PC gaming I was gaming on a console. When I found out about all of the modding potential and the overall community that comes with PC gaming I just had to get into it.

When I researched pre-built desktops I was shocked by how expensive it was and when I kept reading I found out that most of the $600 computers aren’t even powerful enough to keep up with today’s hardware demands of PC games.

That’s why building a computer is so much better. This custom build could easily retail for $1,000+ so you can be sure you’re going to have a beast of a gaming computer after you finish building this one.

This is the same video that I watched from beginning to end when all of my PC parts finally came in the mail. Sure it took me some time but the time spent building it was well worth it because I can now enjoy the luxury of great looking games and being able to modify them to my hearts desire. 🙂

I do have to say that if you’re looking to build your own custom gaming computer I must first say CONGRATS. 😀

You’re about to join one of the most amazing gaming communities that the gaming industry has to offer and you’re also about to experience a fully customizable platform. This custom PC will not only be able to run games such as Dying Light, Grand Theft Auto V, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Evolve on higher graphical settings but you’re also giving yourself access to the benefits of just having a computer!

I mean you’re probably going to own some kind of computer anyway so why not make it a gaming beast on top of it?

In my opinion that is totally worth the little extra investment. 😉

Last Updated: January 17th, 2017

caseCase – Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower

cpu Processor – Intel Core i3-6100

MotherboardMSI LGA 1151 H110M PRO-VD PLUS

gpu Video Card – ASUS Radeon Rx 480 4GB OC

RAM – Crucial 8GB DDR4 Single

500Power Supply – EVGA 500W

81Dg81MArtL._SL1500_ Hard Drive – Seagate 1TB

This build is AWESOME and trust me when I say you won’t regret putting this build together for yourself! Prepare yourself to being able to play your games at full 1080p HD resolution while still using the highest graphical texture settings. If you have a monitor with a resolution of 2560 x 1440 then you should try that resolution out as well because I’m pretty sure this card can handle it. 🙂

The computer case is entirely up to you, the one that I have listed above is the close to the cheapest one on Amazon but it is still a pretty good case. If you want to browse computer cases then do so by Clicking Here! For the most part, mid tower cases will do just fine with this build. Feel free to ask me about a specific case if you’d like, you can do so in the comments area below!

If you’re looking to get the best bang for your buck then I suggest just sticking with this case. Besides, it doesn’t really matter what your PC looks like but more so of how well it runs! 😉

The Intel i3-6100 is a pretty awesome processor especially for this build. Intel processors work great with Nividia graphics cards and you’re guaranteed a smooth and fast computing experience with this processor.

I had to make the switch to the i3-6100 from the FX-8350 simply because it makes more sense when looking at the prices today. Performance wise, the main difference between the two is that the FX-8350 would be better at heavy rendering tasks and it’s also able to be overclocked for further performance potential.

At stock, the i3-6100 is still a very good CPU to go with when you’re thinking of using the build strictly for gaming. It also gives you room for an upgrade path down the road whenever you deem it necessary to upgrade. You could get something like an i5-6600 or an i7-6700 if you really wanted to pump up the performance.

A couple notes regarding the motherboard – it doesn’t have any features for overclocking. If you wanted to have a board for overclocking because you know that you’ll want to upgrade to a CPU that is able to overclock down the road then let me know in the comments and I’ll point you in the right direct for one that’ll have what you’ll need!

Also, one or possibly both of the PCI-E slots may not be useable because of the size of the graphics card. If you planned on using those slots for adapters then you may want to consider going with a bigger motherboard.

Having the RC 480 4GB card is going to put you in awe the moment you start up your first game on this custom build. This would have been a great upgrade for me from my last card which was a Radeon HD 7770. That card was able to run Skyrim at max and Dragon Age: Inquisition on med-high tweaked settings. This card blows that card WAY out of the water and you can expect some pretty amazing frame rates out of this card.

To be honest, the 480 is going to be the best choice for a video card since it’s at a pretty optimal price point price point for for today’s market. It wasn’t long ago when the prices weren’t making much sense.

As far as an upgrade path from the 480 – you shouldn’t worry about it for a good while yet. If you’re gaming at 1080p and/or plan to do some virtual reality gaming then you’re going to be set for a good while yet. Sure, something like a 1060/1070 might have a bit of a performance boost, especially with the 1070, but when it comes to this budget point the 480 is going to be your best pick.

You’ll also want to pick up a keyboard/mouse combo as well as a monitor to really finish up the build. Check out this keyboard/mouse combination by Cooler Master, it’s an amazing combo for the price point.

As far as a monitor, this specific build is going to be able to run games at a 1080p resolution extremely well, so it’d be in your best interest to pick up a monitor at that resolution for the best quality you can get.

71r1E7x7PlL._SL1500_MonitorAsus VS228H

You can’t go wrong with a $600-ish budget. This PC is definitely bound to impress you especially if you are currently using an out-dated computer. Once you build your computer and get the operating system installed you will instantly notice the difference!

As far as operating systems go, this would be a decision that is entirely up to you. For now I’d recommend picking up Windows 10 simply because I love the interface behind it and gaming for me hasn’t been an issue.

Windows 10 is sort of the overall best contender for those looking for the most optimal performance for gaming on an operating system. There are other choices as well but if you’re looking for an OS that is going to be able to run some of the most popular games then Windows 10 is going to be your best bet. Almost every single PC game is made for it.

SteamOS, a Linux based operating system by Valve, is also making some noise in the OS space. In my opinion, it will eventually be the best operating system if your computer is strictly for gaming use.

If you cannot afford Windows right now then I would suggest going the Linux route with Ubuntu. Not all games on Steam’s platform are compatible with Linux but that is soon to change. There are still plenty of free and paid games to enjoy on Linux and Windows.

Ubuntu is an open-source, FREE operating system that you can use to easily use the internet and play some pretty fun games. If you don’t have the extra $100 for Windows but you still want to use it then you could just throw Ubuntu on your computer then save up until you can afford it. Then you could either dual boot both operating systems or just go with one of them.

Now there is also an option of pirating Windows but I don’t condone to this at all and no I’m not going to show you how to do it. If you really want to go that route thenw there are plenty of YouTube videos for that but again please don’t ask me how to do it.

Oh, and if you’re wanting to connect to wifi in the best way possible then I recommend going broadband. It’s the fastest and most reliable way of connecting to the internet with a desktop. You should check out the wireless network adapter below if you’re interested in that! I’ve also included a link to a 64bit version of Windows 10.

ALWAYS make sure that you go for 64bit otherwise you won’t be able to use all 8GB of the RAM that you’ve got!

Check out those links above! The USB adapter will allow you to be able to have internet with Windows 10! 😉

All in all, if you’re looking to run all of the games coming out in 2017 on some higher graphic settings then this is the build for you. The combination of this card and processor is going to blow your mind. (Seriously.) 😉

So what do you guys think of this build? Beast mode system right?! 😀

Let me know in the comments below!

P.S. If you have any questions about this build or anything on my site then feel free to comment and ask! 😀

1,915 Responses to Best Gaming Computer For $600 Dollars, Prepared To Dominate PC Gaming In 2017

1. Matt says:

Hi I have a Refurbished: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz 8M L2 Cache Quad-Core Processor LGA 775 desktop CPU. Would this work with the build?

2. Zaerp says:

Could we link 3 USB ports to that motherboard ? (and if so, is that case ok for that setup ? http://amzn.to/2hDCB9f

Not quite sure if I follow there Zaerp, are you asking if there are at least 3 USB ports on the motherboard? There are!

Also yes, that case would work just fine from looking at the dimensions!

3. Rik says:

Hey, picked up the parts for the $600 build, exact motherboard and case but not sure how to power the third fan in the case. MB supports 4pin system fan and one fan has the 4pin molex so can power from power supply, but what about the other fan? Is there a conversion cable I can pick up?

4. Oliver says:

Hello would this case work with the build. Xion Performance mATX USB 3.0 Tower Case Black/Blue XON-310_BK

5. Marshall Pike says:

Hi Colton, this build hasn’t been preforming very well on games like battlefield 1 and Arma. Changing the settings dosen’t do anything either.. could you give me somewhat of an explanation. I was very excited to first build my Pc and now i’m regretting it because my damn Xbox can get better frames.

Hi Marshall,

What settings have you tried to change? Look up YouTube videos of gameplay for BF1 and Arma with the same specs and you’ll see that it’s supposed to run very smoothly. Battlefield 1 runs at ultra smoothly with a build like this Something isn’t right on your end.

You’re not having random apps possibly running in the background that would affect frame rates? All of your video drivers are fully up to date?

6. Israel Uriegas says:

I’m a pc building virgin so forgive me for this question but does the does the amd processor come with thermal paste in the box or is that something I should get for the build?

Hey Israel,

Yes – thermal paste will come pre-applied! No need to apologize or anything man, let me know if you need any more help as you’re moving forward with your build!!

• Israel Uriegas says:

I’m a bit concerned with the reviews on Amazon over the MB being DOA and Gigabyte having horrible customer service, as well as the boards minimum power requirement being 500 Watts, would that pose a problem if the board didn’t show up DOA?

Well if the board arrived DOA that’d be on Amazon, returning the board for a full refund/replacement would be a breeze. Amazon has the world’s best customer service. You wouldn’t have to deal with Gigabyte in that regard.

If you’re wanting something else that still has the features you’d need going forward then I’d recommend going with this board from Asus – it’s a bit more expensive but it has a better “rep” I suppose.

It’s a pretty rare thing for parts to arrive DOA but it can happen.

7. Evan Martin says:

Wouldn’t an Intel Core i3-6100 be a better choice or is there something I’m missing?

Depends on who you ask Evan.

If you would rather have an upgrade path of switching out CPUs rather than overclocking a single CPU down the road then yes, the i3 would be the better choice.

Overclocking the FX-8350 would result in significant higher levels of performance compared to the i3-6100.

8. Chaz says:

Hey Colton it’s been a while, I built a pc from your site last year and I’m very happy with my build. But with that said since it’s the holiday I wanna upgrade one of my parts. I currently have a fx 8320 with a zotac gtx 960 4gb amp edition. I was wondering iehat I should upgrade my CPU or my gpu for more fps in games. If I do upgrade my GPU should I get the graphics card above? Or will that bottleneck with my CPU. (P.S. My CPU is currently 4GHZ but I plan on overclocking to 4.2 GHZ).

Chaz

Hey again Chaz, good to see you again!

You should go for a GPU upgrade. Overclocking the 8320 would improve a bit as well but there’s no need to upgrade it.

Yes, the above GPU would be an optimal upgrade. You’ll get a good FPS boost for sure! There won’t be any bottleneck.

9. Jacob says:

I just completed my build and when I try to power the monitors (2 of them) they both say No signal. I did try plugging the monitors into the graphics card and the mother board but still they both say no signal. This is my first build please help!

Jacob,

Start by using one monitor first before trying to do two screens. Have you tried both screens by themselves?

What kind of cable are you using? The fans on the graphics card are moving after powering it up? Let me know!

10. Josh says:

I am looking to help my son build his first gaming computer. My big question for this particular build is the motherboard. Is it worth upgrading for future upgradeability? One friend I spoke to recommended an ATX motherboard instead of Micro ATX, if I went that direction is there one you would suggest?

Hey Josh,

The point of this build is to overclock the FX-8350 down the road when you want further performance out of it. You really won’t be and won’t have to upgrade the CPU for a long while – especially with overclocking in mind.

With that, if you wanted a board and a CPU with an upgrade path then you’ll want to go with an Intel CPU and compatible motherboard instead. I’d recommend the motherboard from the $800 build and the CPU from the $500 build for that. Keep in mind you’ll also want to use the DDR4 RAM from once of those builds since DDR3 RAM would not be compatible.

Now, if you wanted to stick with the FX-8350 while still using an ATX board then I’d recommend this board from Gigabyte since it has all of the features you’d need going forward while also being an ATX board, something a bit bigger and easier to work with. Then you could still use everything listed above and everything would be compatible.

Let me know which direction you’d rather go! I’m all ears here man!

11. Lexi says:

What CPU cooler would you recommend for overclocking on this build?

12. Daniel says:

Colton if I was to get this setup would I be able to connect a different monitor to it?

Daniel,

What do you mean by that? Are you wanting to connect multiple monitors or are you wanting to use a different monitor than what is listed above?

The answer to both is yes but elaborate a bit and let me know!

13. Chris B. says:

Hey thanks for this guide. I built my first PC using the parts you suggested, except for the case (I bought one fairly similar though). Everything is running great, but I have concerns about the motherboard. The on-board GPU is really bad, so it makes those ports useless. Also, with the graphics card you suggested, the PCI-e slot is covered and useless. You might want to mention that somewhere, since I bought a wireless network adapter for that slot. I do wish the board were a bit bigger–I feel like the case can fit a few more inches worth of peripherals. Could you suggest perhaps a mobo that is one or two levels above this one? Would it be possible to install of the parts here onto a new mobo? Thanks for your help!

Hey Chris,

To keep the budget as low as possible I wanted to list using a smaller board, hence the USB wireless adapter as well listed. The on-board graphics won’t really be used anyway.

An ATX board that still has the features needed going forward would be something like this one from Asus – everything would still be compatible with it. I’ll also be adding in that bit about the PCI-E slot, thanks for the heads up! The only reason for using that board again is to stay within this budget range.

14. Jack P says:

I just want to ask before i buy the parts for my bday. Would this pc build be able to run GTA V on max or close to max settings? It might sound dumb but my current pc is an iBuyPower intel pentium (worst purchase of my life), anyways, i want to make sure it can run games like GTA and Ark Survival Evolved. I have a while to purchase the parts, my bday is February 26th. I have never built a pc before. Any help or tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Hey Jack,

GTA V will run well on a tweaked ultra setting for sure, Ark will be most optimal on a tweaked high setting. What’s awesome about this build is that down the road, after installing an aftermarket cooler (or installing one right away) leads you into being able to overclock the CPU for even higher levels of performance.

That’s cool man, my birthday is actually Feb 27th! 😛 Be sure to keep an eye on the build as we get closer to the end of Feb since I’m sure it’s possible that some changes could happen by that time!

15. Dominic says:

Hi there, I’m hoping to build a gaming pc by March and I’m new to all this, I was wondering if a pc build like this would be able to run a game like star citizen with good performance.

Hey there Dominic,

I’ve just changed the specs for this build and as is, you should be able to run it well when it releases. You may want to consider upgrading the CPU if you’re wanting great performance. With the i3, I wouldn’t expect super high frame rates on the higher graphics settings. But it’ll definitely be playable at a tweaked med/high setting! Just can’t say for sure since it’s not actually fully released.

16. Norvin says:

Hi,

Can this build support adding an internal SSD Drive?

17. Lisa Rumery says:

How am I suppose to put in the video card when the back slots don’t come off?

They do Lisa, have you referred to the above video? Maybe you’re not pushing hard enough on them to get them off? You don’t want to force it to an extreme but they’ll come off with a good push.

18. Aiden says:

So if I wanted to get a free sync monitor with this? what would I need in order to make it run correctly? I would need an AMD processor correct? Just started looking into to it today and found this monitor. ASUS 24-inch Full HD FreeSync Gaming Monitor [VG245H] 1080p. if you could let me know how free sync works and what i need that would be great. Thanks

Hey Aiden,

Yes you’d be able to use a FreeSync monitor with this build. You wouldn’t need to have an AMD processor, you’d have to have an AMD GPU that is compatible with the FreeSync technology which the above GPU is! It’s as simple as enabling the technology after getting everything set up. There will be a driver for FreeSync!

Let me know if I can be of help going forward.

19. Cody says:

Hey I want to build this PC and I’m new to pc building what settings would these following games run at titanfall 2 battlefield 1 leage of legends and dark souls sorry for the long list

Hey there Cody,

The performance is going to be a bit different between those titles, for example League of Legends is going to run at a solid 60 FPS at max settings whereas something more demanding such as Battlefield won’t have 60 FPS at max, you’ll have to play at a tweaked high setting for a solid FPS. Same thing for the other titles.

All in all, you’ll have a smooth experience at a tweaked high/max setting on the higher demanding games and lower demanding games such as League is going to run silky smooth at max. Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build!

20. Paul says:

Hey do you have any suggestions for an ssd for this build

21. Paul says:

Any suggestions for overclocking(fans, power, etc.)?

Hey there Paul,

This processor actually isn’t unlocked, you won’t be able to overclock it.

I’d suggest going with this build as is and when it comes time to upgrade down the road then you should start looking into overclocking!

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build, I’m all ears here.

22. Timothy Brown says:

Was wondering if I could use the 700$ processor and motherboard in the 600$build?

23. Leonardo says:

Ok I only really want to play Rust, Day Z, and Miscreated Would this build work for high settings (tweaked or not) and while live streaming or Recording gameplay?
    I’m new to PC’s so I have no real knowledge. And would increasing the Power Supply and intel core to i5 work better. I’m expecting to buy a computer by the end of this month

Hey Leonardo,

Yes, this build would be ideal for those titles on high settings. Keep in mind that recording will bring frames down a bit but shouldn’t be anything too significant with a good program. Also streaming more so heavily depends on a solid, direct internet connection.

Also yes, upgrading to the i5-6500 would be a good upgrade especially with recording and what not in mind. If you have the room in your budget then I’d definitely recommend getting it!

24. Leonardo says:

Yes I have to the room for the budget I’m expecting to spend at least $1200 so that’s fine with me. But is there anyway you can give me the links to the cables that I will need to hook up everything. I’ve gotten everything you’ve suggested thank you so much for your help

All of the cables and what not actually came with everything listed above so you’d be good to go there! Did you end up going with the i5-6500 then? You’re going to have a heck of a build man!!

25. alex says:

hey you seem like a really nice guy so i want to ask a question is there any other case you would recommend for this build im on a budget but i want a good case so at first im not going to get the graphics card and get a better case and i was just wondering what you would recommend

26. Chan says:

Hey man, can I use I microphone with this build? Skype is saying something weird like it can’t detect a sound card for this build… I hope it’s just my fault

27. Jonathan says:

Question, will the Thermaltake ATX Case CA-1G8-00M1WN-00, work with all the parts in this list? Thank you!

28. Matthew Gnos says:

You people seems to know a lot about building a pc so I’m wondering if I should just buy one instead and not have to go through the hassle. What do you think?

Hey Matthew,

Depends on what you really want.

If you want to get the most bang for your buck, the most power possible per dollar spent then you’d be better off building your own. If you don’t mind paying a hefty cost for someone to build it for you while sacrificing power then a pre-built would suit you.

The above video helps out ten fold when it comes to putting a PC together and it doesn’t take a computer scientist to do it. It’s not like you’re putting a motherboard together, you’re simply connecting all of the parts together to make a computer come alive.

If you’re going to look at a pre-built then this gaming PC is really the only thing I can happily recommend to you if you must go with a pre-built. However, even with that in mind, you’re still way better off doing a build of your own since you’d be getting more power for a cheaper price.

29. Kelly W says:

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on a build to choose from. I’m currently not a bigger time gamer but i love playing the Sims 2 3 4, i’m not sure which build would work best and cheap. Doing some research your 500 build would work, but i’m willing to shell out a little more if needed and wanted your opinion since sims 2 3 and 4, all the expansion packs plus CC would be alot for most computers. i’m willing to only install and unistall one series of the game and just go back and forth between the titles but it would be great to have all of them available and run them on the highest settings when ever thanks in advance and sorry this was so long.

Hey Kelly,

The $500 build would definitely suffice for max settings and all of the expansions packs. There will also be plenty of hard drive space to go around so I don’t think you’d have to uninstall/install different portions of it. I’d suggest the $600 build if there is any part of you that would want to experience more demanding games today/down the road in the future! The performance difference would be worth investing into if you were wanting to do that.

30. Kevin says:

I see that you have updated the processor to intel, and i was wondering why? I heard that AMD preforms better than intel in newer games and intel better at older games. Can you confirm this?

Hey there Kevin,

Mainly because of pricing. By using the Intel processor/board difference the price is going to be closer to that $600 range. The other build was about $40-$50 more expensive most of the time.

The FX-8350 that was listed before would be better at handling CPU heavy tasks such as rendering and what not but overall gaming performance the i3-6100 is still just a bit better. When thinking about overclocking the FX-8350 though that’s where it starts to perform better than the i3 so if you were wanting to overclock right away then I could see why someone would rather go with AMD.

As far as AMD/Intel performing better in new/old games… I’m not sure what that’d really mean. Each game is optimized differently and it comes down to CPU performance rather than the brand overall.