Best Gaming PC Build For Under $1000, A Gaming Build for Gods

So you’re trying to build the best of the best, right? Searching the internet for the best gaming PC build for $1,000? Well search no further, you’ve found the ultimate build.

This build is easily able to run any current game on MAX settings and still keep 60+ FPS on 1080p resolution. This card is also perfect for 1440p resolution and can even run a few games at 4K resolution (3840 x 2160). Yeah, I know. Crazy.

This One Is For Gods Alike

If you’re wanting that kind of power in your $1,000 budget build then you’re going to have to build it yourself.

Now if you have never built a computer before and you feel kind of on the edge about the whole idea then I have some things I have to share with you. If you go out and buy a pre-built desktop for $1,000 then you’re going to miss out on 260%+ power potential behind the hardware with a custom build versus a computer that is for sale at $1,099 retail.

A pre-built desktop for $1,000 that I found had a 4th gen i7 in it for the processor but the graphics card only had the power of a Radeon R7 250. This is a ridiculous card to have if you’re going to be spending $1,000 on a computer.

The R7 250 runs about 260% slower than the video card that I have shared in this post. If that doesn’t motivate you do go ahead and build your own computer instead of going out and buying one in store then I’m not sure what will! 😛

Another thing I’d like to share is that you do not need to worry about the “struggles” of building a computer. Building a computer from scratch is actually a lot easier than you’d think. All the process is just being able to plug in certain parts in certain spots and I have a video below here showing you exact step-by-step instructions to build your computer from scratch, even for a complete newbie.

That video should help shed some light on how this process is actually very possible, even for a new comer to building computers. It’s super easy and once you have it down then you can build custom computers for friends & family and maybe rack in some labor profits while you’re at it as well! 😉

Optimal Hardware On A $1,000 Budget

Last Updated: January 17th, 2017

case2Case – Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R Mid-Tower

cpu ProcessorIntel Core i5-6600k

cpu coolerCPU Cooler – Cooler Master GeminII M4

Motherboard – MSI LGA 1151 ATX Z170A PC Mate

Video Card – Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB OC

RAM – Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Single

Power Supply – EVGA 700 B1 80+ Bronze 700W

downloadHard Drive – Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache

Final Price: $1,029.58

This build is one for Gods.

Seriously though if you’re building this computer kudos to you then. You’re going to be mind blown by the power of this gaming PC and you’re going to be very happy that you made the investment! 🙂

If you’d like to see what Grand Theft Auto V would look like at max resolution and max textures or maybe see the full potential of the graphical power behind Dying Light? Whatever you throw at this computer, it’s going to run it phenomenally. This goes not only for gaming but for computer software as well.

The computer case is entirely up to you but the case I have mentioned above is guaranteed to fit every single PC part and it also utilizes the USB 3.0 capabilities of the motherboard that I have listed. It has 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front. If you think you’ll be transferring any data from one your PC to another form of USB storage then I’d use the USB 3.0 slots. USB 3.0 gives much faster transfer rates while using it, it’s a nice computer luxury.

Now the Intel Core i5-6600k is a very reliable and fast processor that I can personally guarantee won’t disappoint. It’s the newest tech from Intel. It does not come with a stock cooler of its own and that’s why I’ve also listed the CPU cooler above – you’re going to want to make sure that you pick it up! It’s a high quality one that I highly recommend. You don’t want some low quality crap at a budget point like this.

I’d rather be safe than sorry, you don’t want your build to over heat because you decided to overclock too much and then BOOM now do you? Didn’t think so.

You don’t necessarily have to overclock right away but having a good aftermarket cooler right off the bat ensures that you’ll be able to if you really wanted to. For high quality gaming, you really won’t have to for a good few years to come.

The ASUS GTX 1070 packs quite the powerful punch when it comes to video power. As I stated above its power is roughly 260% more powerful than the video cards that you will find inside of the pre-built gaming desktops that retail for $1,000+.

The GTX 1070 is one of the top rated graphics card to date and you’ll be amazed by the abundance of power that it displays through textures and various 3D models.

You’re also guaranteed a good cooling mechanism with this card. This card is also very easily overclock-able so that you can really amp things up when it comes to graphical power. 😉

A while ago I wrote a post about how the new hardware such as the 1070 being way too overpriced. Although it is still not exactly at the price point that it was announced at – it’s definitely worth picking up for today’s price point. I really hope that the current price point sticks for a long while!

I used to argue that it wouldn’t make sense to have this newer hardware because it’s too much for simply gaming at 1080p. It makes a lot more sense to me, for those of you that are strictly on a $1,000 budget, to have the hardware good enough for 1080p and to move forward with it.

Well as I said, since the price point has gone down quite a bit in comparison to when it was first coming out, it’s kind of a “why not” scenario.

Also, as far as pricing goes, I used to have a solid state drive listed in the previous update. Adding one in today means that we’d be going far past the budget point but I’d still suggest adding one in if you’re able to since it’s a lot faster than a HDD and it’d be worth the extra investment. If you can’t don’t sweat it, it’s not entirely essential.

But before I forget, you’re going to need a monitor to be used with this 1070 right? Look no further than this one by Asus. There are different sizes available and I’ve been using one for years. Super good quality, super good price.

Keep in mind that although 1080p is still a gorgeous resolution, the 1070 is completely capable of bringing the power together necessary to game at higher resolutions. I’m talking 1440p and 4K resolutions – you’re going to be able to handle all of it just fine.

If you wanted to not spend so much money then I’d suggest picking up the above monitor and then down the road investing in another monitor that has higher resolution. Dual monitors would help with multi tasking for sure!

You’re also going to need a keyboard and a mouse to get the build all setup. It’ll be in your best interest to make sure that you have a mouse that’ll do good on at least a 1080p resolution and you’ll also want a keyboard that’ll stand the test of time.

You can’t go wrong with Cooler Master’s Devastator combo. If you have other peripherals in mind that you’d like my opinion on then feel free to link them to me in the comments area below, I’d love to let you know if they’d be good enough for this God-like build! 😛

Now for the operating system. The reason why I never add operating systems to the builds that I share with the world is because I feel like the operating system is entirely the PC owners choice. Everyone always thinks that you have to go with Windows but there really are different options that don’t cost anything.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Windows 10 and Microsoft is getting my hopes up for a pretty awesome operating system in the future but not many people want to throw down $90+ on an operating system.

I’d say that if you have the money for it then get Windows simply because it’s the most optimal choice. Almost every single PC game made today is made for Windows.

If you don’t have enough budget to include a Windows OS then I’d suggest getting a Linux based operating system called Ubuntu for now until you either get the money raised for Windows or if you end up liking Ubuntu then stick with it. Sure there aren’t as many games compatible with Linux that is on Steam but that’s changing and it’s changing fast.

SteamOS is soon to release and it is also Linux based. It’s supposedly going to run every game that Steam has to offer and I’m pretty excited for its final release. If they can actually pull that off, it’ll be the best OS yet.

And as far as internet connection goes, your best bet is going to be going with a direct connection with an ethernet cord. If you can’t go with a direct connection then you can use the wireless network adapter below into any USB slot to connect to your wifi connection. It’s wireless and the antenna sticks out of the USB to find the wifi connection that you have at your house.

Based on the reviews on Amazon for the one that I have linked below, it has a very reliable connection. This is kind of crazy since it is a USB adapter, usually I’d recommend a PCI express slot adapter but for the money, since we’re all about being on the lowest possible budget, it’s good enough. If you’re super far away from your router/modem then you may want to consider an internal solution.

Check out the link below to read the reviews of it. I’ve also included a link to a 64bit version of Windows 10. It’s important to have the 64bit version because 32bit doesn’t allow 8GB of RAM, for some reason.

Also, as far as a keyboard and a mouse is concerned, I’d highly recommend that you check this combo out because it’s literally the best bang for your buck for both a keyboard and a mouse, they work perfectly together and the mouse is actually built for gaming.

All in all, if you’re looking for a build that is going to last for years and years down the road and also into the virtual reality evolution that we are starting to get into then this is going to be the build for you. This is going to handle absolutely anything you throw at it as far as games and software goes in today’s demand.

So what do you guys think?

Is this a build for PC gaming Gods? 😛

If you have any questions about this build or anything else related to my site then ask away, I’m all ears!

1,963 Responses to Best Gaming PC Build For Under $1000, A Gaming Build for Gods

1. Nolan N says:

Hi! Just wondering if this build is capable of running games like gta v on 4k graphics. Planning on just running it to my 4k TV rather than getting a new monitor. And if it is capable, what about the 800 or 600 builds you have listed? Can they run 4k?

4K takes a lot Nolan but you should be able to after tweaking some graphics settings. I wouldn’t expect extremely high frame rates but totally playable.

Those other builds wouldn’t be ideal for 4K gaming.

2. MrAwesomePants says:

Does the parts list contain all that I need to build the PC? Will I need thermal paste or anything else?

Yes, all of the parts are going to come with the essential cables and what not. Thermal paste should come with the CPU cooler unless you’re wanting a different brand of paste!

3. MrAwesomePants says:

Does the video cover the same steps to building this PC? Are there different or additional steps needed?

MrAwesomePants, (awesome name)

Yes. Essentially the same steps outlined in the video are the steps you’ll be taking while putting everything together. I’d suggest going through the video before and during the actual process of putting it all together! Let me know if I can help any more as you’re moving forward with your build, I’m all ears.

4. Marcus Zuniga says:

Why the changes to the build?

5. Marcus Zuniga says:

Is an SSD required because if not then I was going to go without one.

It’s not essential to have everything connected together and powered up, no. Simply a better choice for installing Windows and some games for faster load times!

6. Francis says:

Hi! Very interested in building one of these. Let’s just say I was screwed over many a times by prebuilt PCs. Ain’t making that mistake again…
    Just one question though: going by a very simplistic notion that, the higher the number, the better, would I be able to mount an i7 on this build, instead of the i5? What are your suggestions on this idea?

Hi Francis!

Basically if you’re only using the build for gaming then I wouldn’t recommend going with the i7. You’re not going to get a super significant gaming performance boost by doing that. The i7 tier of CPUs is more for higher performance in the realm of rendering and 3D graphics.

Let me know if I can help any more as you’re moving forward with the build, I’m all ears here! 😀

7. Dan o says:

Hey I’m a newbie to this kinda stuff, if I built this exact model of computer, could I possibly instead of a monitor have a regular 4K tv screen and just configure a gaming controller to the pc? I mean I know the keyboard and mouse are a neccasity but I rather use a actual gaming controller and connect to a big screen tv. Thanks!

Hey there Dan,

Yes! You could definitely do that. You could use many different gamepads such as the wireless Xbox One controller for the controller and as long as whatever display you’d want to use has similar ports as the video card, such as HDMI, you’ll be able to use it. You’ll need a keyboard/mouse for navigating around the PC for sure but any games that are compatible with a controller you’ll be able to use it.

8. Lucas says:

What’s the difference between the gtx turbo and the dual that you have on now?

9. blake says:

would this case work?

10. Duncan King says:

Is there any other cooler looking cases that would work with this build and fit everything?

Duncan King,

There are plenty of cases that would also work. I suggest looking through the mid tower cases on Amazon and when you find one that you think you’d want to use then you can link it to me in a new comment. Then I’ll be able to let you know whether or not it’d work!

11. GostislavTv says:

I bought everything that was listed before the graphics card changed though. I was wondering if the “ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Turbo Edition 4K & VR Ready Dual HDMI 2.0 DP 1.4 Graphic Card (TURBO-GTX1070-8G)” was still good enough???

12. Duncan King says:

what about this case Colton? http://amzn.to/2fWnoiQ

Duncan King,

It’d be able to fit all of the hardware except for the CD drive since it doesn’t have a slot for a CD drive. If you know what you’re doing when it comes to getting all of the right drivers installed without a CD or if you’re okay with using an external USB CD drive temporarily for all of the drivers/operating system for installing then you’d be able to use it!

• Duncan King says:

awesome! thank you very much, all the drivers are online though correct?

No problem!!

Yes they are. A CD drive simply streamlines the process, makes it a lot easier since different parts come with the CDs which have the drivers.

I’ve always just used some sort of a CD drive but I know it’s possible to get them online if you know what you’re looking for. Also make sure you know what you’re doing when it comes to installing an operating system without the CD.

13. Nathan Scott says:

Does the final price of about 1k take in consideration the monitor and mouse and keyboard, or is the final price of 1k only for the actual computer? Also, how much better performance am I going to get from a i5 than a i7?

Thanks if you could help me out 🙂

Hey there Nathan Scott,

The final price only factors in the parts themselves. Not the monitor, keyboard/mouse etc.

If you’re looking only at gaming then the performance boost is going to be very minimal. I would only entertain the idea of getting an i7 if you’re into heavy rendering for videos and/or 3D graphics programs.

14. Brandon says:

What 1070 is the best? If one’s better than another, then I’d rather just save up a bit more for the better model.

Some have higher clock speeds than others but you can also overclock a graphics card to meet some of those numbers… in my opinion there really isn’t a super significant difference between most of them to really look at it at that level of detail.

I switched graphics cards because of how the pricing has changed. It makes more sense to have the above graphics card now because it fits better within the budget.

15. Ryan says:

Also are there any cases that will fit all these parts and does not have the cd drive space since am going to use a usb to download windows since the disc does not ship to canada thanks!(pref cheaper case also)

Well Ryan it really doesn’t matter if the CD drive slot is there or not, you don’t really need to use it. They could also be beneficial down the road if you wanted to add in fan controllers or anything else that fits into those slots.

I’d recommend taking a look at mid tower cases on Amazon and if you find one that you’d want to use link it to me in a new comment and I’ll let you know whether or not if it’d work!

16. Nicolas Ordonez says:

Hello Colton i just wanted to thank you your website helped me get my first pc build, i ended up going with this build but instead of using the i5 i used an i7 6700 i also used 1x hyper fury x ddr4 stick of ram i also opted out of buying an ssd as i didnt have the funds and will probably upgrade later. After spending about an hour building the pc and then doing a painstakingly long troubleshooting process i was finally able to get it working like a charm i cant wait to start downloading all the next gen games i couldn’t run on my old pc such as dishonored 2 and squad and running them on maxed out graphics. I’ll definitely recommend your website to my friends who want to build new pcs on a budget. Thanks again.

-Nick

Hello there Nicolas,

That’s awesome man! You’re definitely set for the far future of the industry. I’m glad you’re digging the build, you’re going to get some pretty amazing performance my friend!

Happy gaming 🙂

17. Mich says:

Hey, was wondering if the zotac 1060 amp edition can fit into the case, thanks

18. Tony Bannon says:

Is this a good build?

19. Eric says:

Hey Colton, should I be spending extra money on upgrading thid build by adding another 8Gb RAM stick or should I be looking at adding/replacing something else?

Eric,

Adding more RAM isn’t going to significantly increase game performance. Honestly, if I were you, I’d either invest in a better cooler for even higher levels of overclocking or don’t invest extra at all and simply save the rest for a monitor/keyboard/mouse maybe?

I mean, adding more RAM isn’t going to hurt anything. It’ll help with multi-tasking and if you plan on using different graphics/rendering programs. RAM, today, just doesn’t really help a whole lot when it comes to gaming performance. 8GB is enough.

20. Ryan says:

Are you sure the graphics card fits into the motherboard listed? I received the Geforce GTX 1070 8GB OC edition, but it doesn’t fit into the motherboard on my out of tower build. I’m also new to building computers, so I apologize if I’m making some obvious mistake.

21. John says:

Hi colton, this looks like a very good gaming setup! My question is will this setup be OK for all other tasks like multitasking, time to time video editing and other usual daily work on pc? Also how many years can I keep this setup before it starts to get outdated like difficult to run next gen games?

Hi there John,

Yes, you’d be able to run programs like that as well. It sounds to me you aren’t looking at extreme heavy rendering programs and this build would be perfect for the “here and there” editing softwares and what not. Let me know if I’m wrong on that assumption because there is a change you might want to consider if you’re planning on heavy editing/rendering.

This build will last for many years to come, you won’t have to think about upgrading or the build getting outdated for the long haul. 5+ years easily!

Let me know if I can help any more as you’re moving forward with your build, I’m all ears here!

22. Henri Hertoghe says:

I work on my mac all the time for school and since it is crap at running games normally (csgo at 30fps -_-) i want to build a gaming pc for christmas. I have no knowledge about the pc parts whatsoever and people told me it is better to build than to buy pre-built. So i was wondering if u could give me any advice and if i should really build the pc. Thanks in advance. (fits my budget perfectly)

Hey there Henri,

Yes. For the most part, pre-built PCs are a complete rip off. You’ll literally save 100s of dollars by building your own and it doesn’t take a rocket science to put one together.

My advice to you would be to watch the above video before and during the process of putting everything together. Before buying parts, be sure to go through the video to get a better understanding of what it is you’ll actually be doing. It’s really all about putting pieces together in the right way.

Once you feel you want to put a build together (which you definitely should if you’re looking for the best bang for your buck) then be sure to order the exact parts above. They are all compatible and they have power per dollar spent in mind 100%. I’m also here as you move forward with the build and I’m more than happy to help! With that, let me know if you need any extra help as you’re getting your build going!

23. Francisco says:

Does this build have any negative sides?

Francisco,

Not sure what you mean by that?… Some people when looking to do a build on this budget include a SSD but this one doesn’t include one to make room for higher gaming performance. That’s not really a negative thing though..?

24. bric says:

Hello Colton,

I’ve found your post really useful, so thankyou.

Here’s a rundown of my build:

-Asus Z170 Pro Motherboard
    -Intel Core I7-6700K Processor
    -Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB GDDR5 PCI-E (slightly different model from the one recommended, 3x fan not 2x) not sure if significant diffference.
    -Corsair CC-9011014-WW Carbide Series 300R Mid-Tower
    -Crucial BX100 500 GB SATA 2.5 inch Internal Solid State Drive
    -Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)
    -Noctua NH-D15 air cooler

Can you see any problems? – I’m aware that the Noctua is pretty hefty so wanted to make sure it fits. Any other advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Bric

Helo Bric,

Just to make sure, you’re looking at this exact cooler – right?

If so then yes, it is pretty hefty but thankfully there is plenty of room in the 300R case. It’ll be able to fit!

I wouldn’t say that there is a crazy significant difference with the graphics card but it is the better card to go with when thinking about overclocking and wanting the higher level stock speeds. Again, nothing that’s extraordinarily different but if you have the room in your budget and want the higher end 1070 then that’s the one. It’s the best card for overclocking.

25. bric says:

Sorry Colton, I wasn’t explicit to the fact that this is a possible build and I wanted your advice before I buy and put it together.

No need to be sorry! This is why I’m here! 😛

Let me know if I cant help more as you’re moving forward with the build!!

• bric says:

Thanks for the advice.

Do you see a significant benefit using air rather than liquid coolers, had heard they were more reliable? Do you think the Noctua NH-D15 will do the job or could you recommend a better piece of kit?

Clearly it’s based on your advice in your post, but wondered what you thought of the build – will it do the job?

Really appreciate your time and support, just want to be sure before splashing the cash.

No problem bric, it’s what I’m here for! 😉

It’ll definitely do a really great job for overclocking if that’s what you’re planning on. It’s basically designed with heavy overclocking in mind. If you don’t plan on doing heavy overclocking in the near future then you might be better off getting something like what is listed above since it’s available for a lower price while also getting the job done – even with a slight overclock in mind.

As always, here for anything else!

26. Stephen says:

You mentioned in the reply above to John, about changes to consider if planning on heavy editing/rendering. I am thinking about going that way and would appreciate your changes on the build in that direction.
    Your the Best, Thank you!

Hi Stephen,

A simple change really and it’d come down to two ways to go about it.

You’d want to either go with the i7-6700 or the i7-6700k for the processor. This change will significantly increase rendering speeds and graphics program performance.

The difference between the two is that the “k” version is able to be overclocked while the other is not able to. Overclocking is definitely not essential, comes down to personal preference. The i7-6700k does NOT come with a CPU cooler so you’d need to use a cooler like the one listed above. The i7-6700 however comes with a stock cooler that you’d be able to use just fine.

Let me know what you decide to do and you’re welcome for the help!

27. Hi There says:

I was wondering if this machine could run csgo 150 fps and overwatch 110 fps?

28. Hey Colton, it’s been a long ass time since I have spoken to you, well today I wanted to ask you if this rig is good. Good as in that it’ll run (Battlefield 1, GTA 5, Rust, and all those other demanding games). Thx Colton! Take care bro!

Christian,

Hope you’re doing well man! The PC that you linked is actually quite terrible for the price you’re paying. Uses the same power of graphics card that a $500 build would use and it’s going to cost you over $1,500 to own it.

Please don’t get that PC. Build your own or look into something like this PC if you’re really set on getting a pre-built. Don’t get ripped off my friend!

• Christian Garcia says:

Oh wow, well Thanks Colton. The reason why I’m not building one is because I don’t have that solid money right now. I would need to get a pre-built one that I could pay monthly. I also don’t want to get ripped off. That’s the reason I came to you! Please link me one that I could pay monthly. Thx bro, you’re awesome.

Ahh I gotcha and no problem man! Always looking out!

Did you check out the PC I linked to you in the previous comment? I’m not sure if Amazon has monthly payment plans or not but it’s definitely worth looking into!

• Christian Garcia says:

Hey Colton do you think that the HP Omen 870-090 is a VR ready computer? Can it also run triple A games? Thx bro!

Hey Christian,

You’re talking about this exact PC – right?

Yes, you’d be able to play VR with that PC for sure. You’d probably be able to save a bit more money by doing a build yourself with the same specs, that’s the only downfall to it!

29. Jack H. says:

Hey Colton, will this same build work but instead of the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB OC this graphics card? http://amzn.to/2gNtsJ4

Thanks.

30. MonkeyNess says:

Will th7s run minecraft at over 300 fps?
    And im thinking of doing alot of rendering, so do you think 2 16gbs of ram will fit into this, and maybe an i7, but i dont know which one

• MonkeyNess says:

This* and also recommended 2x 16 gbs of ram sticks that will fit into this case?

Hey MonkeyNess,

Yes, you’ll get extremely high frame rates with Minecraft. And yes to that as well, you’d be able to do 2x16GB. I’d recommend going with this kit since I know that it’d work with the above motherboard.

And an i7 would also work, I’d recommend going with the i7-6700k if you’re wanting the most bang for your buck.

31. Jack H says:

Hey Colton. Would this graphics card work instead of the gtx 1070?

32. Brandon says:

So I have everything but the graphics card on hand. Am I good to install the os or should I wait until I have the card?

By now I’m sure that you have the graphics card installed – wouldn’t matter anyway since the motherboard doesn’t have integrated graphics. You’ll have to wait to have the graphics card in order to install the OS.

33. Eric says:

I bought he Bluetooth card you recommended but have had nothing but issues with it. I don’t need the wifi/bluetooth combo I just need Bluetooth what other product would you recommend and it does not have to be a budget price item I just want something that works thank you.

Eric,

Why isn’t it working? You’ve installed the right drivers for it? It should be able to do what you’re wanting to do with the right drivers installed, is there any error message that pops up or anything of that nature?

With that, if you’d rather try something else and you’re open to using a USB adapter then I’d recommend this one from Plugable – based on the reviews it should be able to work with any Bluetooth 4.0 devices. Otherwise I personally wouldn’t recommend anything other than a different PCI card which will be extremely similar to the Gigabyte one.

• Eric says:

So I bought cross fade Vmoda wireless and when they connect to Bluetooth I can’t play more the. One ore two apps for example if I am playing Warcraft then open skype and YouTube for some reason YouTube will freeze and not work or wow will
        Mute itself. It’s a very weird thing. I returned the first pair I got as I thought it was he headphones and then the new pair I got does the samething so I have a feeling it is the wireless card. As for the drivers I believe everything is installed correctly, the only thing that was weird is the final step it says “I do not have enough permission” but I am the only account and I am the administrator for my comp. I also tried opening as “run as administrator” and it gave me the same outcome.

• Eric says:

Also a side note is that my wired headphones do not have this issue at all and the other pair of Bluetooth headphones that came with it’s on USB Bluetooth adapter did not have his problem only these headphones

Hmm…

Do the headphones have drivers as well? That’s a really odd issue…

Does the sound actually get muted from the playback settings when you look at which devices you are using through the sound icon, bottom right corner of the desktop?

• Eric says:

No it doesn’t, what happens is two “vmoda headphones” sound options come up and they split so sound are apparently on different stations for the same headphones. And I do not think there are drivers for the headphones. I’m going to take out the card and try the USB adapter you recommend and hope for the best.

Best of luck, let us know if it works out!

34. Stephen says:

Thank you for the reply regarding changing the processor on the build for doing heavy editing/rendering with the this build. I will probably go with the I7-6700. I love this $1k build and because I am not a heavy gamer, Wow only, I want to make use of it in another way as well and definitely want to get going on the build. Anything else that I would need to change? Monitor wise suggestions…or what about this, or will gaming suffer….http://amzn.to/2icx4lN
    I really do appreciate your time Colton. Thank You!!!

Hey Stephen,

You’re welcome for the help, it’s no problem at all!!

Sounds like that’d be the perfect switch if you’re wanting to do heavy rendering tasks and what not. As far as that monitor, the graphics card will definitely be able to display on it. WoW will be able to be played at that resolution at max settings. But I wouldn’t be able to say the same for other games, would have to tweak graphics settings a bit on higher demanding games if you wanted a good frame rate at 1440p.

I know you said you only plan on playing WoW but food for thought!

35. Thomas Palowitch says:

Tx for a great article on computer build for $1000.00. I am new to this and don’t have a good knowledge base yet – the main reason I want to build. I would like to know if your build will be very capable of running VR applications. I’m not into gaming that much yet, but really interested in the future VR applications, gaming included of course. What changes if any would you recommend if I want to stay under $2,000.00?

Hi there Thomas!

This is definitely a good build when thinking of VR gaming. The specs all add up to what VR games require today and it also has what it takes to handle what is coming in the near future.

I really wouldn’t recommend making any changes, as is will be more than enough for high quality VR and you’ll be under that $2,000 mark. I’d only recommend some changes if you planned on making videos and doing rendering tasks.

36. David S says:

Hey Colton! I was wondering if this case would work on this build http://amzn.to/2h8SIeP. I was also wondering if I could swap out the cd-rom for an ssd?

Hey David!

The only way that case would work is if you went with a different motherboard. This board from MSI would fit inside of the case. With that change you’d be good to go.

If you know what you’re doing when it comes to downloading and installing all of the right drivers online, without using a CD drive, then yes I’d recommend that swap.

37. GostislavTv says:

So, I recently build the pc and updated nvidia and the graphics got messed up i manged to fix the resolution. However the text is blury. But i am using a old tv monitor. May that be the cause of it? I have the turbo graphics card.

GostislavTv,

If it’s an old TV then yes that’s probably the issue. You’re using the recommended resolution? The resolution of the TV? Also what’re you using as the video cable?

38. David S says:

Thx so much Colton! I will go with that motherboard.I also found a good deal on a 500g ssd so I think I will go with that to make everything more seemless.Have a Merry Christmas!

39. GostislavTv says:

Yes using recommended and words are blury, it is probbly the old tv. I also had to resize it for now. I’am using a HDMI cable connect to a tv. But I’ll be buying a monitor at best buy.

40. Brian says:

Hey Colton, thanks for the killer site; great place to come for awesome infoa!

I am wanting something that offers a killer gaming, VR and movie experience in 4k/UHD, something that will look great on a 49″ monitor or 65″ 4k STV, but I’m conflicted… RED or BLUE.

I and looking for the following options:

MOBD: Z170 / AB3+ FX990
    DX12/VULCAN future proofing (So I guess it’s AMD GPUs)
    NVMe storage with RAID 0/1/5/10
    DDR4 (but keeping my options open for DDR3 if AMD is a worth while option)
    Thunderbolt 3
    USB 2/3/3.1
    U.2
    Crossfire / SLI
    Bluetooth
    wireless
    HDMI 2.0
    HDCP 2.2
    5.2 Sound
    Lot and lots of slots

Hey Brian, glad that you’re digging the site!

The above build would definitely be a viable option for VR going forward and 4K video would be possible as well.

At this budget point, I’d recommend going with Intel for the CPU. Much more power per dollar spent on that side.

As for the GPU side… that’s up to you. They’re both extremely close when looking at performance. The 1070 has a bit more performance in comparison to the RX 480 and that’s what I would personally recommend. One downfall is that I don’t think 1070 SLI would be really worth it when you can just go with a 1080 whereas you can Crossfire with the 480 and it makes more sense when looking at wanting to run two cards at once.

Let me know what you decide to do and if I can help any further!

41. coleten says:

Would it be fine to get 2 8gb of RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR4 8GB) for this build, I’m new at building PC’s so I’m doing as much research as I can before building

Hey there Coleten,

Yes you could but it’d be a bit overkill if all you’re doing is gaming. More RAM won’t increase gaming performance a whole lot. If you plan on running your own servers or doing heavy rendering tasks then more RAM would be beneficial!

Let me know if I can be more help as you move forward with your build, I’m all ears!

42. Banshee_Alien says:

I have no building experience, but this extra power is definitely appreciated. Is there anything I should know and where might I find these parts cheap or even better parts that might do a better job. I live in Australia… However this is something I have wanted for a long time, I’d really love the help! Thanks.

Hey there Banshee_Alien,

The above video would be great to go through before and during the process of putting all of the PC parts together, it goes step by step through each piece and it’ll help ten fold with understanding how putting a build together works.

As far as other places to find parts – I’ve mainly only used Amazon since the prices are pretty good anyway and the customer support is the best you’ll be able to experience when buying online. The only other retailer I could recommend is NewEgg because sometimes they might have a part that is a bit cheaper.

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build!

43. Justin H says:

Hi colton, I just began to build my PC (using every recommended part), but the geminii m4 fan seems not to fit into the motherboard with any of the pieces that shipped with it. any ideas why?

Hi there Justin,

I know that it’ll fit, I’ve heard from many others that it’s a bit tricky to get it it on there correctly.

Have you looked up videos of others installing the Geminii M4?

• Elijah says:

Yeah dude, it’s the hardest part honestly. You should have three sets of brackets, a small, medium, and large. I believe I used the medium brackets to socket this all.

Having a second pair of hands really helps with this one, because you have to line up the holes on the motherboard with the holes on the fan with the holes on the bracket… a mess. Watch the videos like Colton said, have a steady helper, and you should be fine m8.

44. Elijah says:

Heya all! This build was my first gaming PC I ever built and I wanted to leave some feedback for everyone.

The guide is perfect, and everything works fantastic. Putting it together took about 1-2 hours, and everything was relatively straightforward. This machine is a beast, and I haven’t found any game that can even come close to stressing this thing on always-maxed settings. Archeage. Arma 3. H1Z1. GTA5. Titanfall. Very thankful that I found this!

Absolutely great, and a big thanks to Colton and the people who run this site, really can’t say enough how this has changed my entire gaming world.

I made few slighttttt adjustments or suggestions. Upped RAM and Processor.

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1, 80+ BRONZE 750W, Semi Modular, 5 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester, Power Supply 110-B1-0750-VR

Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)

Motherboard: MSI Pro Solution Intel Z170A LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z170-A Pro)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R Mid-Tower Computer Case

Processor: Intel Boxed Core I7-6700 FC-LGA14C 3.40 GHz 8 M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700

RAM: HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory (HX421C14FBK2/16)

Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII M4 – CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-GMM4-16PK-R2)

CD Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Turbo Edition 4K & VR Ready Dual HDMI 2.0 DP 1.4 Graphic Card (TURBO-GTX1070-8G)

Monitor: ASUS VS228H-P 21.5″ Full HD 1920×1080 HDMI DVI VGA Back-lit LED Monitor

Input Devices: Cooler Master Devastator – LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo Bundle (Blue Edition)

The machine is a little overkill, and built to last.

The graphics card can be dropped to a 960-1050Ti-1060 to save 200$ or so.
    The processor can be dropped to i5 to save 100$
    The RAM can be dropped to 8GB to save 40$.

These will all take down your FPS or graphics capabilities, (especially in terms of multi-tasking) but still give you enough to play most anything games on max settings.

Eventually, as the machine gets old you’ll want to get a K processor for overclocking, and a water cooler. This should be years down the road though, don’t worry about it for now.

You’ll also want an HDMI cable to get 1080p for full use of the monitor. This monitor and PC does NOT come with an HDMI cable.

Set up takes about 2 hours, confirmed that this all fits.

Order of setup was:

Mount CD-Drive

Motherboard: mount processor -> mount fan (this was the most difficult part, the fan is bulky, even in this case!)

Case: Mount finished motherboard -> mount
    power Supply -> mount hard drive -> mount GFX Card -> Mount RAM

Wiring: Connect fans -> Connect power to components -> connect power button to motherboard -> connect monitor and input devices.

Hey there Elijah,

Thank you so much for the feedback! Glad that you’re really digging the build!

The monitor comes with a DVI cable which is what I personally use for 1080p, that or HDMI would be the way to go to ensure quality HD. The changes you made are indeed just a bit overkill but it never hurts to go that far anyway! You’re set for the far future my friend!

Happy gaming!! 😀

45. Steelet88 says:

Will the Asus BC-12B1ST 12X SATA Blu-ray Combo Internal DVD+/-RW Drive, fit in the case and work with everything? My first build and your list looks really good for me to start on.

Hey Steelet88,

You’re referring to this exact drive – right?

If so then yes, you’d be able to use that and it’ll work! Let me know if I can help as you continue to move forward with the build!

• Steelet88 says:

Thank you that helps a lot, I have another couple questions too, I’m sorry if these seem like basic or total noon questions, but it is my first and am still confused on some things. Anyways, will I need to buy a sound card? And does the mother board have HDMI port? And if so what sound card do you suggest? And if the motherboard doesn’t have HDMI port, what is another mobo with HDMI port would you recommend for this build?

No problem. The only bad questions are the ones you don’t ask, feel free to ask away it’s important to understand everything while going for your build!

HD audio comes with the motherboard and the motherboard does have a HDMI port but you’d actually use the HDMI port on the video card anyway! Your display won’t show up with anything if you use the video port on the motherboard since you have a video card for that purpose.

Again, feel free to ask away!

46. Stone Sparks says:

PC RANDOMLY TURNS OFF

Hey, i built my $1000 pc build back in March, and now sometimes it occasionally shuts off without me doing anything, it seems it happens mostly when I’m gaming,and also usually happens shortly after i turn my pc on because if its on for a while it doesn’t seem to shut down. I know this prolly isn’t the best place to ask but what do you think could be wrong?

Stone Sparks,

I’ll try to help out! It’s odd that is happening…

Are you using a stock cooler? Have you checked CPU/GPU temps while using the PC? PCs will auto-shut off if it feels like things are getting a bit too hot and that’s what seems to be the problem. Let me know, I’ll do what I can to help troubleshoot the problem!

EDIT: Also, curious, the room that you have your PC in – is it a relatively warm room? More warm than your average room temp?

47. Ryan D says:

I really like this build and am looking to just add a SSD to it. Would you recommend the same one you did for the $1500 build (PNY CS1311 480GB 2.5” SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) – (SSD7CS1311-480-RB)? Would adding the SSD require anything else to change since I’d have the HDD as well?

Thanks,
    Ryan

48. Luke C says:

I am looking for a pc to run the fps overwatch. I was wondering if you new if this pc would run this game smoothly and have fairly high graphics thanks.

With this build, Luke, you’d be able to max out Overwatch with a consistent 60 FPS. It totally surpasses the requirements to do so!

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build, I’m all ears here.

49. Random user generated says:

Help me find a cheaper case with sub 3.0. I have a bit to upgrade to gtx 1080 ( Help me find a good one under $600 ) and if I do upgrade to a better gpu, would I need to get a better psu?

You could go with this case from DeepCool – it is made with high quality material and many people here have enjoyed using it. You could also take a look at other mid tower cases on Amazon and if you find one that you’d like more then you could link it to me in a new comment and I’ll let you know whether or not it’d be compatible?

Also for a cheaper 1080 I’d recommend this one from ZOTAC – it has very similar performance to the next one up and I’d say that it’s the best, more ideal price for a 1080 right now!

50. Pete says:

I’m living in Australia so I kinda tried to get your components and find them in Aussie stores.I didn’t find some so I’m not sure if everything is really compatible. I didn’t build any pc in last 10 years so I’m real noob now.
    Can you please check my set up and help me to change it if necessary?
    The prices are in AUD and I was kinda aiming under 2000AUD. Also I didn’t include any wifi cuz I wasn’t sure if it’s better to get USB or PCIe.
    I’d like to start recording gaming videos on this set up that’s my main aim.
    Thanks for any help
    Pete

Hi there Pete,

I don’t think you need to change anything man! These specs are going to allow you to do what you’re looking to do. It all seems compatible. Also on the wireless adapter, it’s really a personal preference thing. If you’d rather free up a USB slot then a PCIe adapter would probably suit you best, something like this one from TP-Link would work out just fine if you’re able to find it.

PCIe adapters tend to have better antennas to connect with if you plan on having the PC far away from the router that you’re using.

Let me know if I can help any further!