Best Gaming PC Build For Under $1000, A Gaming Build for Gods

So you’re trying to build the best of the best, right? Searching the internet for the best gaming PC build for $1,000? Well search no further, you’ve found the ultimate build.

This build is easily able to run any current game on MAX settings and still keep 60+ FPS on 1080p resolution. This card is also perfect for 1440p resolution and can even run a few games at 4K resolution (3840 x 2160). Yeah, I know. Crazy.

This One Is For Gods Alike

If you’re wanting that kind of power in your $1,000 budget build then you’re going to have to build it yourself.

Now if you have never built a computer before and you feel kind of on the edge about the whole idea then I have some things I have to share with you. If you go out and buy a pre-built desktop for $1,000 then you’re going to miss out on 260%+ power potential behind the hardware with a custom build versus a computer that is for sale at $1,099 retail.

A pre-built desktop for $1,000 that I found had a 4th gen i7 in it for the processor but the graphics card only had the power of a Radeon R7 250. This is a ridiculous card to have if you’re going to be spending $1,000 on a computer.

The R7 250 runs about 260% slower than the video card that I have shared in this post. If that doesn’t motivate you do go ahead and build your own computer instead of going out and buying one in store then I’m not sure what will! 😛

Another thing I’d like to share is that you do not need to worry about the “struggles” of building a computer. Building a computer from scratch is actually a lot easier than you’d think. All the process is just being able to plug in certain parts in certain spots and I have a video below here showing you exact step-by-step instructions to build your computer from scratch, even for a complete newbie.

That video should help shed some light on how this process is actually very possible, even for a new comer to building computers. It’s super easy and once you have it down then you can build custom computers for friends & family and maybe rack in some labor profits while you’re at it as well! 😉

Optimal Hardware On A $1,000 Budget

Last Updated: February 23rd, 2017

case2Case – Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R Mid-Tower

cpuProcessorIntel Core i5-7600k

cpu coolerCPU Cooler – Cooler Master GeminII M4

Motherboard – ASUS PRIME Z270-P LGA1151 M.2 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard

Video Card – Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB OC

RAM – Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Single

Power Supply – EVGA 700 B1 80+ Bronze 700W

Final Price: $1,024.32

This build is one for Gods.

Seriously though if you’re building this computer kudos to you then. You’re going to be mind blown by the power of this gaming PC and you’re going to be very happy that you made the investment! 🙂

If you’d like to see what Grand Theft Auto V would look like at max resolution and max textures or maybe see the full potential of the graphical power behind Dying Light? Whatever you throw at this computer, it’s going to run it phenomenally. This goes not only for gaming but for computer software as well.

The computer case is entirely up to you but the case I have mentioned above is guaranteed to fit every single PC part and it also utilizes the USB 3.0 capabilities of the motherboard that I have listed. It has 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front. If you think you’ll be transferring any data from one your PC to another form of USB storage then I’d use the USB 3.0 slots. USB 3.0 gives much faster transfer rates while using it, it’s a nice computer luxury.

Now the Intel Core i5-7600k is a very reliable and fast processor that I can personally guarantee won’t disappoint. It’s the newest tech from Intel. It does not come with a stock cooler of its own and that’s why I’ve also listed the CPU cooler above – you’re going to want to make sure that you pick it up! It’s a high quality one that I highly recommend. You don’t want some low quality crap at a budget point like this.

I’d rather be safe than sorry, you don’t want your build to over heat because you decided to overclock too much and then BOOM now do you? Didn’t think so.

You don’t necessarily have to overclock right away but having a good aftermarket cooler right off the bat ensures that you’ll be able to if you really wanted to. For high quality gaming, you really won’t have to for a good few years to come.

The ASUS GTX 1070 packs quite the powerful punch when it comes to video power. As I stated above its power is roughly 260% more powerful than the video cards that you will find inside of the pre-built gaming desktops that retail for $1,000+.

The GTX 1070 is one of the top rated graphics card to date and you’ll be amazed by the abundance of power that it displays through textures and various 3D models.

You’re also guaranteed a good cooling mechanism with this card. This card is also very easily overclock-able so that you can really amp things up when it comes to graphical power. 😉

A while ago I wrote a post about how the new hardware such as the 1070 being way too overpriced. Although it is still not exactly at the price point that it was announced at – it’s definitely worth picking up for today’s price point. I really hope that the current price point sticks for a long while!

I used to argue that it wouldn’t make sense to have this newer hardware because it’s too much for simply gaming at 1080p. It makes a lot more sense to me, for those of you that are strictly on a $1,000 budget, to have the hardware good enough for 1080p and to move forward with it.

Well as I said, since the price point has gone down quite a bit in comparison to when it was first coming out, it’s kind of a “why not” scenario.

Also, as far as pricing goes, I used to have a solid state drive listed in the previous update. Adding one in today means that we’d be going far past the budget point but I’d still suggest adding one in if you’re able to since it’s a lot faster than a HDD and it’d be worth the extra investment. If you can’t don’t sweat it, it’s not entirely essential.

But before I forget, you’re going to need a monitor to be used with this 1070 right? Look no further than this one by Asus. There are different sizes available and I’ve been using one for years. Super good quality, super good price.

Keep in mind that although 1080p is still a gorgeous resolution, the 1070 is completely capable of bringing the power together necessary to game at higher resolutions. I’m talking 1440p and 4K resolutions – you’re going to be able to handle all of it just fine.

If you wanted to not spend so much money then I’d suggest picking up the above monitor and then down the road investing in another monitor that has higher resolution. Dual monitors would help with multi tasking for sure!

You’re also going to need a keyboard and a mouse to get the build all setup. It’ll be in your best interest to make sure that you have a mouse that’ll do good on at least a 1080p resolution and you’ll also want a keyboard that’ll stand the test of time.

You can’t go wrong with Cooler Master’s Devastator combo. If you have other peripherals in mind that you’d like my opinion on then feel free to link them to me in the comments area below, I’d love to let you know if they’d be good enough for this God-like build! 😛

Now for the operating system. The reason why I never add operating systems to the builds that I share with the world is because I feel like the operating system is entirely the PC owners choice. Everyone always thinks that you have to go with Windows but there really are different options that don’t cost anything.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Windows 10 and Microsoft is getting my hopes up for a pretty awesome operating system in the future but not many people want to throw down $90+ on an operating system.

I’d say that if you have the money for it then get Windows simply because it’s the most optimal choice. Almost every single PC game made today is made for Windows.

If you don’t have enough budget to include a Windows OS then I’d suggest getting a Linux based operating system called Ubuntu for now until you either get the money raised for Windows or if you end up liking Ubuntu then stick with it. Sure there aren’t as many games compatible with Linux that is on Steam but that’s changing and it’s changing fast.

SteamOS is soon to release and it is also Linux based. It’s supposedly going to run every game that Steam has to offer and I’m pretty excited for its final release. If they can actually pull that off, it’ll be the best OS yet.

And as far as internet connection goes, your best bet is going to be going with a direct connection with an ethernet cord. If you can’t go with a direct connection then you can use the wireless network adapter below into any USB slot to connect to your wifi connection. It’s wireless and the antenna sticks out of the USB to find the wifi connection that you have at your house.

Based on the reviews on Amazon for the one that I have linked below, it has a very reliable connection. This is kind of crazy since it is a USB adapter, usually I’d recommend a PCI express slot adapter but for the money, since we’re all about being on the lowest possible budget, it’s good enough. If you’re super far away from your router/modem then you may want to consider an internal solution.

Check out the link below to read the reviews of it. I’ve also included a link to a 64bit version of Windows 10. It’s important to have the 64bit version because 32bit doesn’t allow 8GB of RAM, for some reason.

Also, as far as a keyboard and a mouse is concerned, I’d highly recommend that you check this combo out because it’s literally the best bang for your buck for both a keyboard and a mouse, they work perfectly together and the mouse is actually built for gaming.

All in all, if you’re looking for a build that is going to last for years and years down the road and also into the virtual reality evolution that we are starting to get into then this is going to be the build for you. This is going to handle absolutely anything you throw at it as far as games and software goes in today’s demand.

So what do you guys think?

Is this a build for PC gaming Gods? 😛

If you have any questions about this build or anything else related to my site then ask away, I’m all ears!

2,071 Responses to Best Gaming PC Build For Under $1000, A Gaming Build for Gods

1. John Smith says:

Hello, I found this processor
    for what seems to be a good price, and was wondering if it was compatible. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

2. John Smith says:

I was wondering if this processor
    is compatible with the motherboard, and if not, could anyone tell me what motherboards around the same price that are compatible? Thank you very much.

Hey there John,

That CPU would not be compatible with the above board but you could go with this board from Gigabyte instead. It’s compatible, has all of the features you’d need going forward and what not as well!

You’ll also need to get different RAM that is compatible. I’d recommend this RAM from Kingston for sure! Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build.

3. James says:

Hello Colton thanks for the build, when I showed a computer savvy friend of mine this build they said it looks nice but it would be ideal to go for at least 16 gb ram. Can you think of any specific 16 gb part that would be compatible with this build?

Hello James,

It’d be ideal to shoot for 16GB of RAM if you’re doing more than gaming and/or plan to do a lot of multi-tasking type of stuff. The standard today is still 8GB and you could simply upgrade down the road to 16GB to save a bit on the initial price of the build hence why I share it that way!

With that, if you still wanted to go with 16GB I’d recommend going with this kit from Corsair since it’s available for a really good price right now!

4. Jacob says:

how long does this take to build

Hey there Jacob,

Depends on the person really. If you’re brand new to doing a PC build then I would give yourself at least 2-3 hours time in a day to ensure you’re doing everything right and patiently. Otherwise on average hour and a half to two hours.

5. Ian says:

Hey Colton, I have been looking for a PC build for around $1000 for a while now so I am really excited about this build and I think am going to get it. I do have one question though, since the monitor you listed is pretty cheap I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade to a 1440p monitor for around $250-$300. If you know of any would you let me know? Thanks a a lot and I am looking forward to your response.

Hey there Ian,

Glad that you’re digging the build! Yes, you could definitely go for something a bit higher up. I’d recommend going with something like this monitor from Acer or this monitor from Asus – the main differences between the two is that the Acer one has 4ms response time and the Asus one has 1ms, the Asus one is able to go go vertical, it’s just a tad bit bigger and it has a 75hz refresh rate in comparison to 60hz.

I’d really only say to go for the Asus one if you really dig the vertical functionality. If that’s not a big deal then the Acer one is going to be just fine going forward, it’s at a great price!

6. Ian says:

Hey again Coulton, thanks for the fast response! The monitor looks great. I had one more question before I buy the parts though. Instead of having that USB wireless network adapter could I change it for a wired network adapter? I would rather be wired in so that I can get a better connection. I tried looking at some through PC Part picker and most are compatible but I don’t know what I am supposed to look for. I would appreciate some help with this. Thanks a lot!

Are you saying you’d want to go with a direct connection via an ethernet cable? Simple, all you’d have to do is pick up an ethernet cable of whatever size you need, plug it into the ethernet port after getting the driver setup and you’re set.

If you’re wanting a different wireless network adapter let me know and I’ll point you in the right direction!

• Ian says:

Never mind, I got a little confused. You are correct. Thank you very much for the help. I am pretty sure I am going to purchase the parts soon. I will let you know how it goes once I have built the computer, thanks again!

Gotcha, no problem for the help I’m here for whatever else going forward!

• Ian says:

Hey Colton, finished building the PC on Monday. Since this was my first build it took me a while, a failed attempt of 4ish hours the first day. But after another 4 hours of troubleshooting/rebuilding again the second day I was successful. Overall it was a pretty good learning experience and I am confident that I could do it again without the video and just with the manuals. The PC runs amazingly, I rarely drop below 60fps while playing games like Tera online, Path of Exile, and Black Desert Online at maxed out settings in 1440p. Most of the time the PC runs at about 80-90fps. I have yet to test it on more popular graphically intense games but seeing how it can run Black Desert Online so well I am assuming it will have no problem. Also, thank you very much for suggesting that monitor, it is beautiful. The colors are super vibrant and it just plain looks amazing. I ended up getting 16gb of ram and a 3tb hard drive but other than that I used your exact build. I would also just like to thank you for being so helpful and responding so fast each time. Thank you for making my first PC build experience a good one.

-Ian

Hey Ian,

That’s awesome to hear that you were able to eventually get it figured out and that it was an overall awesome learning experience for you! Building a PC is something that is really fun to learn and it sounds pretty cool when you say that you built it yourself 😉

Happy gaming man, you’re going to enjoy that build going forward. It’s ready for the future!! Feel free to check back here and there for recent posts and what not, would like to hear from you down the road!!

7. Taylor says:

Hey I don’t know much about building computers or their hardware so I’m sorry if this is a stupid question but if I were to get an Intel core i7 6700k instead of the i5 in your build, would that be doable or would other components also have to change? Thanks

Hey Taylor,

First off no need to apologize for asking questions! The only stupid questions are the ones you don’t ask 😉

Yes, you’d be able to use the i7-6700k if you wanted to. I’d only recommend getting it if you plan on doing heavy rendering tasks and/or doing other things other than gaming alone. If your build is going to be strictly for gaming then the i7-6700k is going to be a bit overkill. The above i5 is more than enough to handle gaming today and the future.

8. Bill says:

When you build any computer, do you need special tools or static reduction tools so you don’t short anything? I haven’t watched your video yet but thinking of building this. My 1st time build.

Hey Bill,

That’s up to you. The only tool you’ll really need is a Philips screwdriver for the case. No other special tools are necessary. As far as an anti-static wrist strap or anything of that nature – it wouldn’t hurt. But there is also a little trick using the power supply that’ll help get rid of any static you’ve got, they go over that in the video above.

I’d recommend going over the video before and during the actual process of putting everything together – that’ll help out ten fold and I’m always here to help with whatever else going forward!

9. Coleten roberson says:

Hey whats up i’m wondering if i should also get an ssd card for this build and if a i7 2600 is good for this build because i already have that part.

Hey Coleten,

A SSD would help with load times in games and the overall speed of your operating system. If you wanted to add one, which I suggest you do if it’s within your budget, then I’d recommend something like this one from PNY since it’s available at a good price right now and it has solid performance!

As far as using your i7-2600 – yes you could but you’re going to have to make some changes. That processor is still pretty decent and you’d be able to save a good bit by using it.

The changes that I would suggest is using this motherboard from MSI and this RAM from Kingston – those changes would be essential. You need a LGA1155 motherboard and RAM that is compatible with that type of board.

Let me know if you need anything else as you’re getting your build together!

10. Newbie says:

Ima noob to this kinda stuff but will a SSD and a HDD both fit in this?

11. Stuart says:

Hello. I’m pretty knew to this whole kind of thing. So I was wondering if it would be possible to just buy two of the RAM sticks you listed for 16 GB of RAM. Or would it be a bit more complicated than that?

12. Paul says:

Hey Colton, great looking build. What would you suggest for a quality ssd for this build. Would 120gb be sufficient for windows 10 and a game or two? Thanks for your help.

Hey Paul,

Glad you dig the build! For a SSD I’d recommend going with this one from PNY – it’s available for a good price right now and they’re good SSDs! I’d say 120GB would be enough for Windows and a couple of games, would depend on the games though really.

13. Emerys says:

Hi Colton, Your dedication to the builds and comments is superb! Love this $1k build, but I am not a overclock fan whatsoever. I know…but I just don’t want to deal with it. Will the i5-6600 work fine with everything else? Keep the cooler just for extra cooling, or not needed at all? I want the GTX 1070, but drop down to the next build if only going with the i5-6600? Sorry, seem to be going back & forth now. Ty

Hi there Emerys,

Most definitely you could do that! Going with the i5-6600 would leave you not really needing to have an aftermarket cooler since the stock cooler is going to be more than enough to get the job done since it won’t be used for overclocking.

Up to you if you wanted to drop down, there wouldn’t be any bottnecking issues or anything of that sort going forward.

No need to apologize! It’s good to be clear on what you need. Let me know if I can help more as you’re getting your build together!

14. Jameson says:

So we need a new computer that my wife can use for developing lesson plans and various work related documents but I want to build it so that I can play games like WoW and do video editing too. This build for around 1k fits within our budget and seems more than capable for our needs. I have a couple questions though.
    1) It looks like upgrading to i7 is possible but is overkill if its just a gaming computer. Is it overkill for video editing too?
    2) I know AMD is supposed to release their new cards (Zen?) sometime this year. Is it worth the wait? When new cards come out is it possible to upgrade or does it mean replacing a few parts too? (Just a general question from past releases, obviously spec details on Zen are not out yet.)
    3) Is it possible to see a few upgrade options listed? For example showing what graphics card you can upgrade to and how much of a cost difference it would be. GTX 1070 upgraded to GTX 1070 x 2 =$200 more. Or something like that?

This is my first build and I am doing heavy research before giving in. Thanks!

• Jameson says:

Just saw your legendary build. Might have to consider upping the budget for that one. I like the fact it has the solid state HD.

Hey there Jameson,

1) If you planned on doing heavy video rendering/tasks and it was something you’re doing consistently then I’d suggest upgrading to the i7. It would indeed be a bit overkill for strictly gaming but for other heavy CPU dependent tasks it’d be worth it! You can look up the speed differences as well on YouTube.

2) Like you said, there isn’t enough solid information out there to dictate whether or not it’d be worth waiting around for it. As far as previous releases, the FX series processors are still hanging around today as good CPUs especially with a cooler and they’ve been around for many years. I’m assuming that Zen will be pretty good since it’ll exist to compete with the newest generation of Intel processors but when it comes to the higher end, such as i7’s and what not, AMD hasn’t been able to deliver. Though that may change, who knows!

3) You’ll be able to upgrade to whatever graphics card you’d want to, and you’ll also be able to go with SLI if you wanted to. But with a 1070 in mind – you won’t have to be upgrading for a long while. It’s perfect at 1080p gaming, very good at 1440p gaming and with some tweaked settings it’ll also handle a good bit of 4K gaming.

15. Laurence says:

Hey Colton.

I have been trying to look for a computer for the past few months and I really wanna run games like Steep and Rocket League Max settings with great FPS, this is probably the first build that I am extremely interested in. Do you think this build can meet my requirements?

Hey there Laurence,

For sure. You’re going to be able to max out a lot of titles like those with a build like this. It’s going to run perfect at 1080p and it’ll even run some titles, Rocket League for example, well at 1440p resolution.

Let me know what you decide to do, always here for whatever else going forward!

16. Victor says:

Hey Colton
    Do you have a recommendation for a compatible SSD? Also would the i7 5960K be compatible with this motherboard?

Hey Victor,

For sure, I’d recommend any of these SanDisk SSDs since they’re available at a good price point right now and they perform very well!

Also for that processor, no it would not. You’d need to go with a different motherboard. Something like this one from Asus would be most optimal. I’d only recommend going this route if you know you need that much power behind the processor for tasks other than gaming.

17. Victor says:

One more question: I noticed the video card memory type is GDDR5, does this matter and what does it exactly mean? Thanks.

18. Victor says:

Would you recommend 4th gen or 5th gen intel processors? i7

19. Cam says:

Hey Colton looking to see if this build will handle star citzen. Looking to build my first pc still learning alot! Thank you

Hey there Cam,

For sure it will! It surpasses the recommended requirements for the alpha right now and I’m sure that once it releases it’ll be a lot more optimized and what not. This build is ready for the future!

Let me know if I can help as you’re moving forward with your build, I’m all ears.

• cam says:

Just one last question ordering all my parts this week will this case work i wanted to go with one with a window. Also i have a computer i just bought off craigslist semi built my question was can i use the ssd and hdd thats in it or should i get all brand new hardware for the build. thank you!

Yup! That case will do just fine.

As far as the hdd/ssd – does it have anything installed or was everything wiped? If they’re clean drives then I don’t see why you couldn’t use them.

• cam says:

yea they still have everything on them what computer I’m using now won’t handle star citizen at all lol so looking to upgrade and do my first build. now would this pc handle 1440p or should i stick to 1080p

That’s odd… You’d think a person would want to wipe their hard drive to save their personal data? Anyway, it should still work if it’s a traditional drive. Worth trying out anyway.

As far as 1440p – Yeah it’ll be able to do it but for a more demanding title such as Star Citizen I wouldn’t get your hopes up for running it on higher settings at a high resolution like that.

20. Paul says:

Thanks for your quick reply Colton. I have another question if you wouldn’t mind. If I were to buy a kaby lake i5 7600 k, would that be compatible with the motherboard you have recommended? Maybe I’m missing something but I can find the newer i5 7600k CPU for cheaper than the last gen 6600k on amazon. I may be wrong as I am new to all of this. Thanks for the help

No problem Paul,

Yes you’d be able to use the i5-7600k – the price point right now is perfect. I’m certain it won’t be like that for long though. The only thing is that you may need to do a BIOS update prior to using that processor.

• Jacob says:

Is there a significant enough advantage in using this over the 6600k? This would be the first Desktop PC I’ll build, and I’m moving on from laptop gaming. I do not have a desktop, and I do not have an extra CPU. Would upgrading the BIOS require a compatible CPU before swapping out for the 7600k if I did consider using that instead?

With that said, seems like an amazing build. Should have moved on to desktop gaming a while back as my laptop is stationary anyways…and cost a bit more at the time than this setup is currently.

From looking at different benchmark results comparing the two together, there isn’t a crazy difference. A few more frames per second in most cases using the 7600k.

For the little extra bit it costs to have the slightly faster speed… it’d be worth it if you wanted to also use it for other tasks other than gaming. It’s not like it costs a whole lot more right now you know?

As far as the BIOS update, no. It should be able to detect and update itself through a prompt of some sort.

Doing a build of your own is definitely the way to go when looking at power per dollar spent. It’s a lot of fun to put together as well 😀

• Jacob says:

Completed this build a few days ago with a few minor modifications. Runs everything I throw at it in ultra settings at 1080p no sweat! Don’t currently have a higher resolution monitor, but tested 4k DSR in a few games and was still performing quite well. Thank you for the build!

This is awesome to hear Jacob, it’s quite the build!!

Happy gaming 🙂 Feel free to come back any time to check out other posts here on the site! It’d be good to hear from you down the road!

• Victor says:

just check the specs on the processor and the motherboard. They should both have the same chip socket. It’s probably 1151 or LGA 2011-3

21. Victor says:

Would the i7 6700 k fit into the motherboard socket on this list? Loving the quick responses btw.

22. Victor says:

Also what exactly is the ASUS ROG G20CB-B21? I want to get the case, but how?

23. Mihael says:

Would a 1TB Western Digital HDD be compatible, in stead of using the Seagate? It has better ratings & less failure chance, so I’m just wondering.

Hey Michael,

Yes, you could if you’d rather go for it. I’d recommend this drive if you were wanting to go with WD. I’ve only had good experiences with Seagate which is why I recommend them, but you should support whichever brand you want to support!

24. Elijah says:

Hey! I’m loving the build so far and have been saving about two paychecks to build it! I just have a question though, you said this build is strictly for gaming and all, but what if I wanted to dig my hands into Youtube Gaming? Would this be strong enough to stream, upload, render, and play? If not, can you tell me what parts would have to be changed? Sorry for all the questions…

~Eli

Hey Elijah!

It’s not that it wouldn’t be able to also do those things, the hardware is definitely there, it’s just that there could be a few changes if you wanted to maximize the overall speed/performance with those other tasks in mind. Also making it a good bit more expensive as well.

If you’re okay with above average rendering speeds then the build as is will be good enough for what you’re wanting to do. As far as streaming, that more so will depend on how solid your internet connection is!

Let me know if you need anything else going forward, no need to apologize for the questions!

25. Ben says:

Do you know if anyone has actually built this PC and what their thoughts on it were?

Also, this pc is ready to be built and played instantly right? All you need is a OS?

Hey Ben,

Yes, plenty of people have! You can go through some of the comments – some people have shared their experience with the build.

It sure is, all of the cables and what not you’d need come with all of the above parts. You’d just need to get an operating system installed and then the essential peripherals and you’ll be good to go.

Let me know if I can help as you move forward with your build, I’m all ears!

26. Victor says:

Hey Colton, Victor again.
    I was wondering if it is completely necessary to get the USB wireless network adapter to connect to wifi? Or will the computer automatically connect once built? Also I saw this deal on amazon and it’s great but do you think it sounds a bit sketchy?

and

Thanks.

Hey Victor!

Yes, some kind of an adapter would be required to connect wirelessly. There are other types of adapters as well if you’re wanting one to be connected to the motherboard, let me know if that’s something you’d want to consider.

And as far as those laptops… yeah it seems sketchy to me as well. No reviews and the price is way too cheap… I personally wouldn’t go for it. Seems too good to be true. Would probably end up with a knock off laptop.

27. Bert says:

I’m willing to invest 1200 in a gaming desktop and wondering if I can pick any other mid tower case and also if anything else I could change to make it the best

Hey there Bert,

As is would be an excellent way to go. Then the rest of the cash could be used for keyboard/mouse, monitor etc etc.

As far as other cases there are plenty that would work, I would recommend checking out mid tower cases on Amazon and if you find one that you think you’d like to use then you can link it to me in a new comment and I’ll let you know if it’d work or not!

28. Jacob F says:

What do you think of this build?

**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor]

**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper T4 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler]

**Motherboard** | [MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory]

**Storage** | [Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5″ Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5″ 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive]

**Video Card** | [Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card]

**Case** | [Cooler Master MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case]

**Power Supply** | [EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply]

29. richard says:

also, if i got the i7 6700k, would that cooler be the right one as well?

30. John Neufeld says:

Love your build. I was looking for just something like this. Learning in the PC building world and needed a guide. Very helpful. What video card would you recommend if I wanted something a little smaller? Not sure if I will down grade since I want do use the PC for Photoshop, quickbooks, and multitasking etc. I don’t game at all. Yet if I get this one I know I won’t need to update anytime soon.

Hey John, glad that you dig the build!

For similar power yet a smaller card I’d suggest going with this 1070 from Gigabyte – how come you want to use a smaller card, if I may ask?

Also let me know if I can help with anything else as you’re moving forward with the build!

• John Neufeld says:

Because of the budget. I live in Canada so with exchange rate, taxes and moniter this build comes to around 1600. Was looking to spend around 1000. Since I don’t game I figured the graphics card was the first place do down grade since I won’t need quite so much juice in the graphics field. Maybe I am wrong in this area. Let me if I am. I am new so I have alot to learn.

I see, I thought you meant you simply needed a smaller sized graphics card but you’re actually wanting to downgrade so that it’s cheaper and you won’t be gaming much as well.

I’d suggest something like this GTX 1050 Ti – it’s still a great card if you decided to game at 1080p, it’s available for a good price and you’d be able to upgrade down the road if you ever felt the need to! Let me know if that card suits what you’re trying to do!

31. Ben says:

Me again, thoughts on this build? My budget is 1200 including peripherals and wanted to see what reddit builders could do for me lol.

I’d personally go with a different power supply, you can get a bit more wattage for the same price, other than that everything looks pretty good to me. If you’d rather go with the 480 than the 1070 then there you go. Though I would also personally go with the 1070 instead, add in a 1TB hard drive down the road if you’d rather start out with a SSD.

32. Tim Zhang says:

I bought all the parts, but the graphics card doesn’t fit inside the case…..

33. Joshua Cary says:

Hi I am going to be building your build quite soon and I am gonna have a dual monitor setup. I already have one monitor, but I was wondering if you could recommend me a good monitor for around the price of $200?

34. Ashley says:

Hello Colton! Thanks for all of the great information. I’ll be attempting to build my own PC now! Just wondering if this case would be sufficient? Thanks!

35. ED says:

Hello was searching the web to find a good gaming build for a $1000. Found your site and I have to say was a great help however I did make a few changes that brought my build closer to $1700. Here is what I got.
    Corsair RMx Series, RM750x, 750W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Gold Certified
    MSI Pro Series Intel Z270 DDR4 HDMI USB 3 SLI ATX Motherboard (Z270 SLI)
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 Memory Kit – Black
    Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
    4 of ARCTIC F8 PWM Rev. 2 Fluid Dynamic Bearing Case Fan, 80mm PWM Speed Control, 31CFM at 22.5dBA
    PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5” SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) – (SSD7CS1311-240-RB)
    Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R Windowed Computer Case
    MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready (GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G)
    Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K (BX80677I77700K)
    So what do you think is there anything else I want or need? Oh and by the way what type thermal paste do i need? I have Arctic 5

That all looks great to me ED, that Arctic 5 thermal paste will work great!

Saw you had an issue in another comment regarding the CPU cooler, let me know if you were able to get it figured out!

36. Jimmy Tea says:

I’m looking to buy this and I’m wondering how much fps can this get on csgo?

37. ED says:

Looks like my
    Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R Windowed Computer Case.
    Is too small. can’t get my
    Corsair Hydro series H100i V2 extreme performance liquid CPU cooler past the motherboard.
    MSI Pro Series Intel Z270 DDR4 HDMI USB 3 SLI ATX Motherboard (Z270 SLI) guess I have to go with a full size case instead.

38. Joshua says:

Im back again. I would like to upgrade the processor but dont know what processor i should go for. Could you point me to a better processor?

39. Aj says:

What is thermal paste, also, do you need it? Lastly, is any i7 cpu good wI think this model, sry I am new to building pc and pc in general, so can anyone help me out?

Hey AJ,

Thermal paste is what needs to be applied to a CPU cooler, it’s how the heat is transferred, it’s for better heat conduction. Some thermal paste will come with the above CPU cooler. And as far as using an i7, you’d need to use one from the same generation. An upgrade that would make the most sense would be to go with the i7-7700k since it’s the next step up! Do you plan on doing heavy rendering tasks and what not with an i7?

40. Daniel says:

Since were buying a different cooler do wee need to buy thermal paste or is it already pre-applied to the cooler.

Hey Daniel,

It’ll come with thermal paste to apply! Be sure to check out videos of that exact cooler before moving forward with applying it and what not to be sure of how to get it all put together correctly.

41. Randy says:

Hey there so I bought this build and I’ve got it all hooked up and the Dram led on the mobo lit up. I did some research and what I found was that this board doesn’t support 8 GB ram without upgrading the bios and that specifically with the fury type ram. I was just wanting to confirm with you if that’s true? If so I need to go buy a 4 gig stick so I can boot my computer and update the bios

I don’t think that is your issue Randy, have you tried the different RAM slots as well? What color is the led?

• Randy says:

it’s solid red. The cpu led lights up for about half a second and then switches to the dram led for a few seconds and then turns off. And yes I’ve tried every slot and so far nothing. It starting to sound like maybe a motherboard issue?

42. Michael says:

Could I substitute the GTX 1070 Windforce for a GTX 1070 G1 Gaming?

43. Nathan Drake says:

I’m going for this exact build but I want to replace the 8gb ram with 16gb so which one would you recommend? I’m new to this, also, is 16gb necessary?

Hey there Nathan,

If you wanted to go with 16GB of RAM instead then I’d recommend going with this kit from Corsair man! 16GB would future proof you in terms of RAM though today’s standard is still 8GB and that probably won’t change super soon. If you plan on using programs and what not that require more RAM usage then it wouldn’t be a bad idea to go with it!

44. Newbie says:

Ok, I know this has nothing to do with this computer but I’m new to this stuff and I have money to spare. Is this a good computer? Good fps for.cod bo3? Minecraft? e. Sry I couldn’t find anyone to help and it looked.like you knew what your doing.

Newbie,

That’s a very good build, it’s absolutely more than enough to run BO3, Minecraft whatever game you wanted to throw at it you’d be able to run it flawlessly. With that, I’d say that if you’re trying to play those games at 1440p/4k resolution then this would be the type of build to go with somewhat but you’re a bit overkill on the RAM and processor, unless you plan on using all of that for heavy rendering programs and what not?

45. Steve says:

Hello, I was looking at the motherboard on Amazon and it says it accepts 6th gen i5. Does that mean I will not be able to use the i5 7600k?

46. Chaz says:

http://amzn.to/2lDRbMN Would this case work?

Hey Chaz,

The S340 is a good case, the only thing I need to point out is that there is no place for a CD drive to be installed. If you don’t mind using an external CD drive for your OS/drivers and/or you plan on installing your OS via USB then you’d be able to use that case for sure!

47. Caleb says:

Hey Colton, I ordered all the parts and attempted to put it together tonight. The video card is too large, it covers up the USB port on the motherboard for the tower’s front USBs. Also, the motherboard seems to be DOA.

I haven’t done a build in years, but after trouble shooting everything, I can’t get the system to boot. All the fans run, and no warning LEDs are on, but nothing on the monitor. I’m ordering a new motherboard and hope it will fix the issues.

Also, it was not straight forward for me installing that heat fan on the CPU. I applied a small amount of the thermal paste and screwed it on top. The fan works, but I can only hope I did it right.

I’m hoping the motherboard was the issue and I can get this up and running.

Any suggestions about the USB port being covered by the video card?

Thanks for the build. I’m bummed I couldn’t get it working, but hoping it will work out.

48. Caleb says:

Hey guys, just to let y’all know, I bought all these parts and put it together and it didn’t post. The reason is that this processor is a 7th generation and the MSI motherboard is set up for 6th generation. So you need to have a 6th generation i5 or borrow one to install the flash for the 7th generation. Then it will work. Also, the range on that wifi USB is lame, so getting an internal card would be best, especially for gaming.

I’m picking up the system from my computer shop in a little bit and I’ll post here about gaming performance.

BTW I’m using a 240gb ssd as well.

Thanks for the build Colton!

No problem Caleb, I figured that the new updates for the BIOS were integrated but I guess not, I must have done my research wrong and for that I apologize. I’ve updated all of the builds with newer motherboards to use now, thank you for reaching out and letting us know man I appreciate that!

As far as the GPU covering up USB slots, did you attempt to plug in the USB connectors before putting the graphics card in? If not, that’s what should do it! Those connectors should go in before putting in the GPU.

49. Bert says:

Hello Colton!

Its awesome how involved you are with responding to all the comments and giving all the advice you’ve given! Im looking to invest in a build for around the same price point however I’ll be using the PC not only for gaming but for programming too. How would this PC do with that? Should I add additional ram? Get an i7? and if so how much/which one? Thank you so much!

• Bert says:

Also if I wanted to switch out the hard drive for a solid state one, which one would you recommend? I basically have everything in my cart right now haha just ready to check out

Hello Bert!

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words man!

What type of programming? An i7 is good for heavy rendering tasks and game design, I’m not quite familiar with programming but if it were to involve rendering and loads of CPU usage then the i7 would be a good move. Otherwise if it’s more multi-tasking type stuff then adding additional RAM would be the good move. If you were to go with an i7 then I’d recommend going with the i7-7700k since that’d be the next step up!

50. hunterballen2 says:

Hey Colton, I was just wondering if this motherboard would work with everything. Do you recommend it?

hunterballen2,

I’d actually recommend the new motherboards that have come out such as the B250 motherboard like this one from MSI for example. If you’re going with a B250 motherboard instead then I’d also suggest going with the i5-7600 (the non-k version) and forget about the above aftermarket cooler since the i5-7600 comes with a stock Intel cooler.

I share using a Z270 board because an i5-7600k can be overclocked and a B250 motherboard does not have overclocking features.