Best Gaming PC Build for Under $1500, A Legendary Build

Surfing the web for the best gaming PC build for $1,500? Well look no further because this is a legendary setup and your money is very well invested with this specific build.

With a $1,500 budget you’ll be able to add a solid state drive as well as a 1TB hard drive. This will allow you to be able to run your operating system at full speed while still having the capacity of the 1TB hard drive to store your game library, movies, music and photos.

Be A Legend

If you’re looking to max every single game out there for years to come then this is the build for you. The processor with this build is super powered and will be able to do much more than just be able to process video games. This combined with one of the best graphics card out there makes this build one of the best.

If you’ve never built a computer before and you feel intimidated by it then I just have to say one thing. Don’t be. Building a computer from scratch is a lot easier than most people would think and there are plenty of tutorials out there that can show you step by step.

This specific build is actually going to be very easy to build because you’ll have a lot of space in the case to work with and the motherboard is pretty big so you’ll have a ton of room to make sure everything is nicely done.

The tutorial that I think best shows how to build a computer step by step is the video series by Newegg. They do an excellent job showing even the complete newbie to build a computer. I have inserted the video below if you’d like to see it!

That video should help shed some light on building a computer from complete scratch. When I built my very first gaming PC I went through this video step by step before I had all of my parts in the mail and during the actual process of building it.

If you do each step that is shown in the video at the same time as actually building your computer then it’ll be a lot easier than trying to just review the video beforehand and trying to memorize each step.

With that, let’s get to the actual build.

Optimal Hardware With A $1,500 Budget

Last Updated: February 23rd, 2017

caseCase – Apevia X-Hermes Metal Case

Motherboard – MSI Arsenal TOMAHAWK Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard

cpu2Processor – Intel Core i7-7700K

cpu-coolerCPU CoolerCorsair H60 Liquid Cooler

Video Card – EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW DT GAMING ACX 3.0 8GB

ram RAM – Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB 2133MHz DDR4

ssd Solid State Drive – PNY CS1311 480GB 2.5” SSD

850 Power Supply – EVGA SuperNOVA 80PLUS 850W

cd CD Drive – Asus 24x DVD-RW

Final Price: $1,465.46

This build is legendary.

Anything you throw at this build is going to run phenomenally. Virtual reality will be experienced to its fullest with this build and you’re going to be future-proof for a very long time as far as recommended specs for the latest games go.

The Thermaltake Core case is a great case. Very big and open area to work inside of and comes with many features as well. One of those features is the ability to control the default fan speeds on the case. This is done by the two knobs on the front of the case next to the USB slots. This is pretty cool because you’ll be able to either run your fans as high as they can go so that you can overclock with ease or you can turn them down a notch and get a noiseless experience. The choice is yours!

Having an Intel Core i7-7700k is going to put you in awe once you experience its true processing power. This processor is able to do A LOT more than just process game worlds.

You’ll also be able to use any graphics program and you’ll also be able to design your own high-end video games on this machine if you really desired to do so. Anything outside of the realm of PC gaming is definitely doable with this build, it’s beast!

Keep in mind that the CPU, unlike most other Intel CPUs, will not come with a stock CPU cooler. That’s why I’ve also included an aftermarket cooler to go with. You’ll also be able to overclock a good bit with it making the 7700k even that much better.

You also need to know, since it’s an aftermarket cooler, that you will also need some higher quality thermal paste to go with it. The cooler comes with paste and if you want to trust it then go ahead – but I suggest getting some that is higher quality.

If you’ve got VR gaming in mind then this build will definitely be what you’ll need for the far future. VR takes a lot of processing power but that worry can disappear when you have the 7700k included in your arsenal of hardware within. The future of VR is very bright so it makes complete sense to have a build that is more than capable.

The EVGA GTX 1070 video card is an amazing card. If you’re looking to run any and/or all games that are coming out recently on max graphics settings with 60+ frames per second then this card is definitely going to be able to do that for you. There is an insane amount of power behind this card and trust me when I say you’re not going to be disappointed by going with this card for your $1,500 build.

With that, there is new hardware on the horizon as well. Many are looking at the GTX 1080 for around this budget point and for good reason. The reason why I don’t have the GTX 1080 listed quite yet is because the prices of the new hardware is just not there – yet. Once the prices get to the point of what they were actually announced at then you can definitely know that I’ll be updating the build to include it.

For this specific build I have added a solid state drive (SSD) as well as a normal hard drive (HD). I’d throw your operating system and your favorite games/programs on the SSD and then store all of your other games, photos and movies on the HD. The reason I added both is because a SSD runs about 10x faster than normal HD’s and with this type of budget it just makes sense to add it to the build.

Operating System And More

Now if I were you I’d go ahead and throw Windows 10 on this build for an operating system. If for whatever reason you don’t have the cash flow to grab Windows right away then I’d suggest just grabbing Ubuntu, an open-source Linux based operating system that is really super easy to work with, oh and I forgot to mention that it’s also free to use! 🙂

You can just use Ubuntu until you have the cash for Windows or you might just end up sticking with the Linux based operating system because once you get used to it it’s hard to go back to Windows!

Also, as far as internet connection is concerned, you should take a look at the Panda network adapter below. It keeps a pretty solid wireless network and you simply plug it into any USB port on the PC!

Unless you’re able to go with a direct connection with an ethernet cord – you’re going to need some sort of a wireless adapter to connect to the internet.

All in all if you’re looking at getting a build together that’s going to give you the absolute motherload of experiences in what PC gaming can provide then this is definitely the build for you.

This build is literally going to max everything you throw at it and run it at extremely high frames per second. 🙂 (I WISH I had this build…)

Are you going to be putting this build together for yourself?

218 Responses to Best Gaming PC Build for Under $1500, A Legendary Build

1. Larry says:

Great site… a TON of useful info. I’ll definitely be bookmarking this site!!

2. Sarah says:

What kind of screen do you recommend to go with this setup?

I’d recommend the Acer K272HUL monitor because it has a max resolution of 2560 x 1440 and the video card that is apart of this build will easily display high graphics settings at that resolution.

• Dan Foster says:

Hey Colton, will the 1440p monitor drop your FPS down and will it have a slower refresh rate than a 1080p monitor? Also if I get this monitor and decide ai want to play 1080p will this monitor have the option to switch? Sorry I’m a noob lol.

Hey Dan,

It is 1ms slower than say the 1080p monitor that I always recommend from Asus. It wouldn’t be anything that you could really notice on the input lag side, as far as FPS – it won’t really drop much with the above specs.

And yes, you can always lower your resolution! You’re not forced to play at 1440p with a 1440p monitor.

3. Christian says:

I have never been into PC gaming, I have always been a console person. But, I am a music producer and I have long been interested in building a rig that could handle whatever I threw at it. I’ll bookmark this site for future reference.

4. caleb says:

If you want this to be a beast choose a 4 or 3 TB hard drive and a 500 GB Solid state drive (SSD)

But then there is less power for the graphics and processor for the budget given. I’d rather have a bunch of power than a bunch of space that’s just me though Caleb! 😛

5. Cáel says:

Hey Colton, Im just wondering are all the parts from the 900 build and the 1500 build compatible with eachother? I kind of want to mix and match since the prices arnt much different but one is alot better than the other, im sure you get what I mean, and are all the parts from both builds compatible with the “Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Black Gaming Computer Case Galaxy-03” thank you.

Hi Cáel!

To be honest, I’m not 100% sure like if the $1,500 build GPU would fit in the galaxy mid tower but I think it would… that’s really the only issue that I see. Everything else should be 100% compatible as far as the motherboard and processors go.

If it doesn’t fit (it should) then you’ll definitely be able to return whatever parts you can’t use back to Amazon for a 100% refund!

Feel free to reach out to me whenever if you have any other questions!

• Cáel says:

One more question, I have no idea about USB slots but i have a mouse, a keyboard and headphones that all are usb will they all fit into the 1500 case and if not, will they fit into the 900 case. If i buy what I was talking about in my last question, ill let you know if they fir or not just so you could tell others who may ask the same question!

Mouse and keyboard can easily be plugged into the motherboard USB slots on the back side of the tower.

Your headphones could easily be used by a front USB as well, definitely don’t need to worry on USB slots both cases will work just fine Cáel so go with which one you like best!

6. Ben says:

Why don’t you have a CPU cooler included in the build?

Hey Ben,

Because, at least in my opinion, it’s up to the individual actually putting the build together if they want to add a CPU cooler for overclocking capabilities.

Maybe as I go forward with the site I’ll add little extra options, but right now I just wanted to get these builds out to people looking for them because there aren’t that actual helpful sites out there.

7. Liam says:

Which CPU cooler would you recommend?

8. Luis says:

Hello! I really love this website and I will be using this build when I get the money needed for the parts. I just wanted to ask if the case can be replaced with the “CM Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case“? I just like the case and doesn’t have a much difference with this case. If not then I understand.

9. Roberto says:

Can i use this 980 instead of yours ?
    Is the case able to contain it ?

10. Anthony says:

Is one gtx 980 better than running two 970s in sli

11. Greg says:

Why did you change the motherboard?

12. Emmanuel says:

Hi Colton, I’ve decided to make this build (with a few tweaks in parts) in 6 months and giving the PC I built to my sister hope this one surprises me just like my first build 😀

Oh that’s exciting, this is an insane build Emmanuel – you’re going to love it if you loved that last build 😉

Happy to see you again by the way! 😀

13. Douglas Strain says:

http://amzn.to/1YrPRgf wouldn’t this video card be equal to the GTX 980 and be cheaper?

Two pretty different cards in comparison, performance wise Douglas.

The 390x would be the better card to go with if you have 4K gaming in mind, though at 1080p and 1440p the 980 has better raw performance.

14. Eric says:

Hey Colton! Is there a smaller case that is compatible with this build? Like the same cooling capabilities since i doubt i need to upgrade or buy anything new for it for a while so we don’t need to worry about space.

15. MR C says:

Hey Colten,
    First off I gotta tell ya, much love and appreciation for the site brother. Now down to bidness, as they say, I have compiled a list of components that I feel fits my needs as and an avid gamer/designer. It is in the $1500 range and I wanted to get your take on it. Being they guy who built the page that gave me the courage to do it in the first place.

For sure MR C, I appreciate the kind words 🙂 thank you!

Everything looks superb to me. That case looks like it’s going to be fun to work with. That i7 is going to be awesome for rendering during design work and the 970 is definitely going to deliver the experience you want from gaming.

I’d say to definitely move forward with it, that’s going to be an awesome build. It’s kind of similar to the build that I made in early December 🙂

16. Thomas says:

how many HDMI ports does this build have? im think of having a dual screen setup so i can do two things at once, but im unsure on how many ports this has. thanks.

17. Sam says:

Colton, Great Site, man. I’ve been looking around and I saw this build for 1500 that uses a gtx 980 ti. What do you think?

Hey Sam, thanks!

Go with that if you want to, the biggest difference would be the motherboard, the motherboard that I have above has more features. It’s a better board.

But if you’d rather have Ti then maybe go with that build instead.

18. Chuckles says:

Is this list all inclusive. is there anything i should buy with it that isn’t listed.

Hey Chuckles,

Everything listed here is all you’d need, no extra cables or anything like that would be needed. Some people miss the fact that there is an operating system, way to connect to internet, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc as well so other than that, you may or may not have those things, but everything you need is above.

19. Shane Dawson says:

will this graphics card be compatible with this case

20. Shane Dawson says:

dont know why the link wasn’t working, this graphics card not the one in the build:

21. Ernesto Perez says:

As far as the graphics cards go for this build, are AMD cards recommended/compatible? They seem to be a lot cheaper than the nvidia

Ernesto,

If you’re talking the 8GB cards then yes, I’d say go for it if you’re gaming beyond 1080p as the 8GB of video memory is going to help a lot with that. If you’re gaming at 1080p then the above card is definitely going to be the better choice.

22. Ernesto Perez says:

Also Can I use the power supply from the 700 build for this build as well? Not certain as to why 800W is needed.

Sure you could, I listed the 800w as it is the safest route for those that are looking to overclock both CPU and GPU and possibly adding SLI down the road. If you’re doing those things then you’d need more than 600w for sure.

23. Chuckles says:

I am putting this build together within the next week (just waiting on the orders). Only thing different is I went with 16g of ram. What would you recommend for Bluetooth with this build

24. Stockton says:

Hey Colton, I have a build that i am seriously considering building in within the next week, it’s similar to the build listed above but a bit cheaper.

Will this build perform close to the build you have above?

The biggest difference is going to be not having a solid state drive, Stockton.

I bet that’s the only reason why it’s a bit cheaper, I’d personally rather have a SSD to have a quality experience booting up the PC and having really fast load times over the 6700k i7… the 4790k is still an extremely good CPU and it’s ready for the future.

It’s up to you man, you definitely wouldn’t regret adding a SSD in there!

25. Chuckles says:

I just wanted to post and let you know that this build is amazing. I can play games at at max graphics and resolution. I can even play a few games windowed and Netflix on half the screen. Thanks again for the awesome site.

26. Kush says:

Can this build run at 4k?

The above build can for sure and it’d dominate at it.

The pre-built you’ve got linked there actually kind of sucks. Sure the 980 ti is nice but a FX-8320? It’d almost bottleneck with that combo and you’re not going to have a whole lot of room for upgrades that are worth getting with a FX-8320. You’d want a nice Intel processor to go with the 980 ti Kush.

Don’t buy pre-builts. They’re nasty and not worth your money at all.

27. Curious says:

A few thoughts:

Wondering why you went asrock, although they often cram in a bunch of features/ports for cheap, I’ve heard nothing but bad things about their build quality and service.

With kaby lake coming out later this year, then cannonlake in 2017, kind of surprised you went 1150 rather than 1151, since no new cpus will be able to fit this socket. It may also be worth considering to add a section letting people know that both new GPU tech (polaris, pascal, later vega, etc) and new CPU tech will be coming out as soon as a few months from now, so it’s worth considering whether it’d be better to wait to build.

• Curious says:

By the way, you can currently get a 980Ti for basically the same price as the 980 you included, if you look for sales/rebates.

• Curious says:

Sorry was premature, not the same price, but for about $50 more at most. Probably worth the added cost.

At this budget point I’m sure it’d be worth it, though it’d be up to a person and their actual given budget. If it’s around this price range then I suppose it’d be better for them to stick to above but if there is a little more room… a 980 ti would definitely be the better choice

I’ve personally used ASRock with a few builds and haven’t had any problems with their stuff, that’s why I decided to go with them. This site is all about budget builds, being able to stick the amount of cash into the lower priced way of doing things. If I change the board then I also have to change other parts to stay within the price range…

The i7 4790k is going to be good to go for many, many years man. It’s not going to be “out dated” by any means for a very long time. Sure, the new tech is out, but a new i7 is so much more expensive and I’d rather use a 4790k combined with a 980 rather than a i7 6000 series CPU with a 970 or lower per say.

As far as new tech coming out soon… there’s always new “tech” coming out. If someone’s going to build a PC there’s bound to be someone telling them to wait for the new parts. Then the new parts come out and a few more months later there are rumors of even newer parts.

Anytime is a good time to put a build together, new parts coming out or not. Sure, if new parts are coming out in the next few weeks then it’s best to wait and see if the current parts drop in price but it’s going to be a lil bit yet before the “new” stuff comes out.

28. Ben N says:

Hey Colton!
    Just wondering if the new GTX 1080/1070 would work for this build?

I don’t see why not, only thing I am thinking of is the size of the graphics cards.

The above case is pretty big so I’m sure they’d fit just fine and they’d definitely be compatible.

29. Happy Dude says:

Will the motherboard and power supply from the $2000 Build fit into the case from the $1500 Build?

30. Francisco I says:

I just wanted to know is there anything else I need since this is going to be my very first pc I’m not sure if I have everything I have the hardware, the Os, paste, an key bored and mouse, is there any thing else I might need.

Hey Francisco,

Other than a monitor and a way for audio, sounds like you’ve got it all. Did you get paste because you’re using an aftermarket cooler? Because paste actually comes pre-applied on the stock cooler…

31. John Simmons says:

What’s the difference between this video card and the one on the $2000 build? This one is more expensive on amazon then the 980ti 6GB? Sorry I don’t know much about video cards.. Thanks!

Hey John,

I’ve got to update all of the builds, the prices have changed up on the parts.

The only reason I haven’t updated the builds quite yet is because there are new parts on the horizon and I wish to wait to update because it doesn’t make much sense to me to update all of the parts today when new parts that would be even more optimal are coming out within the next few weeks.

• John Simmons says:

Cool, Thanks for the heads up. I’ll wait for your new updated build!

Sounds good! Today I’ll be updating prices on the builds and then later on in the month, especially sometime in July (since the new stuff is supposed to come out at the end of June) the builds should almost all be pretty different!

32. Pablo says:

Will this website be until December?

I plan to have this website be a thing for… well for the foreseeable future anyway. I’d love to have this website and still manage it for years to come, that’s the plan! So yeah, I’ll be here in December 😛

33. Louise says:

Hello! I’m looking to build my first PC and I’m pretty nervous. I’ve been looking at your site for about a year now, and I think I’m going to go with this build. I bet you get this question all the time, but i do have to ask, will this build be able to run the latest games at max settings? Thanks!

Hey there Louise,

I just updated all of the builds with new prices, but since you were able to wait for about a year I’d suggest waiting just a tad bit longer.

The above specs are amazing and yes, you’re definitely going to be able to max out anything and everything even past 1080p resolution you’ll be able to run games very well. But new video cards are right on the horizon, they’re expected to release towards the end of this month.

It wouldn’t be ideal to get this hardware just to have new hardware right around the corner, especially since you’ve been able to wait for your build for about a year. I’d suggest waiting about another month, let the new cards get onto the market and then get on this budget. For the future, you totally wouldn’t regret it and I’ll also be updating all of the builds the moment the new hardware fully gets on the market!

Also a quick note about you being nervous – I was there too. I didn’t have a clue at all on how to build a computer with my first build a good few years ago!

But as long as you follow the above video step by step, to the T, you’ll be just fine 🙂 it’s a fun process!

34. David K says:

Hey Colton I’ve been Flippin all the builds n trying to understand all this stuff better as I’m not too good with what all these specs mean but this is a great site and has helped alot on deciding on a new computer and I’ve now made the decision to just build my own thanks to you my question is I planned to double up the ram you have suggested (just buying 2 of them) but while looking at some of the suggestions I saw a set for the same price but almost double the hz what would you suggest?

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 Desktop RAM, Red http://amzn.to/24VORPh

Also I don’t want anything but hardline for my internet connection could you suggest what I should order?

Hey David,

Sounds good man, this is a great budget point to be at for an awesome build 🙂

As far as that RAM, that memory operating at a voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This means that the memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum. So it’s doable, but not entirely compatible like memory that operates at 1.5V voltage.

35. Josh V says:

Hey Colton just wanted to know what you think of this build:

Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO – CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
    ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboards

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis with Window Cases PH-ES614P_BK

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD, 750W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready

Samsung SATA 1.5 Gb-s Optical Drive, Black SH-224DB/BEBE

Hey Josh,

Pure awesomeness, seriously. That build’s going to last you a very long time, the 1070 is going to be amazing 🙂

Let me know if I can help you any further as you move forward with your build, I’m all ears here man.

• Josh V says:

Thanks for your input! I’m very new to computers so this will be my first build 🙂 Should I be buying thermal paste? And what would you recommend for the monitor?

Again thanks!

Yeah, I’d recommend that you do. The thermal paste that comes with most of those aftermarket coolers really isn’t that great. I’d recommend picking up higher quality paste that way you’ll get the best results!

For a monitor – that really depends on your budget. This build is capable of high quality 1440p gaming as well as some 4K compatibility… so it really depends on what you really want.

If I were you I’d invest in a good 1440p monitor like this one since it’s completely doable. There’s actually a big difference between 1440p and 1080p!

36. Pablo says:

Thank you so much for this build! I’m in the process of selling this computer and getting the 1500 dollar one. I couldn’t find any good computers in youtube until I stumbled upon this website. Thank you so much again 😀 Also, you recommend this cooler? Noctua NH-D14 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler? Again, thanks!!

Hey Pablo,

Sounds good man – this build is amazing 🙂

Actually, for a build like this, I’d recommend going with liquid cooling such as the Corsair H60 cooler. If you want to have good overclocking down the road then liquid cooling will serve you well when that time comes. It’s actually fairly easy to install, many YouTube guide videos to look at!

37. Mike Hudak says:

This guide is really great. I plan on using it for my upcoming PC build. Which parts are expected to have new releases soon? Just the video card?

Mike,

I’ll be updating the video card to the 1070 or the 1080 (depending on what will fit the budget) and the CPU might change to newer tech as well. Just depends on what parts are allowed to be used with this budget point. It’ll all be updated within the next day or two so check back then and you’ll see the updates!

38. Jake says:

How would a i5 cpu at 3.5ghz fair with the build above, also would the deepblue tesseract case work with this build!?

• Jake says:

Also while keeping the 980 ti above and case how would you mix this build and the 1000$ build, for power and stability while staying below 1500$!? Thank you for your help!

If you’d rather go with the $1,000 build CPU and motherboard then I bet you’d save a bit more money. Other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Jake,

So are you talking like the 4690k? I mean, it’s still a great CPU and it’d be compatible but it’d be smarter to go with the above CPU and board.

And are you referring to this exact case? If so then yes, it’d be compatible man!

• Jake says:

Ok so here’s what i got
        The above case
        I7 4790k
        Mobo- msi intel z97
        Evga 970 sc acx 2.0
        Crucial ballistix sport 16 gb kit
        EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ GOLD, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular
        WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive
        Asus dvd drive (from most of all ur builds)
        Windows 10 oem
        Thoughts? And thank you for replying it trully means alot to me. 🙂

• Jake says:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1- instead

• Jake says:

Or 980 equvilant from gigabyte

Well, if you have the room in your budget to fit a 980 in there then that’d be the even better choice (for the future). If you know that you’re going to be gaming at 1080p resolution for a long time then the 970 would be the best card for you since a 980 would be a bit overkill.

You’re also going to need to make sure that you’re using a case that’s going to fit the graphics card that you go with, the G1 for example should fit in the $1,000 build’s case and the above one.

39. Pablo says:

Help!! My CD drive doesn’t fit what do I do?

40. George says:

Why don’t you put a Gtx 1070 in this build? There’s some on Amazon that’s cheaper than this 980
    Ti?

41. Pablo says:

Help!! Whenever I boot up my computer it says cd or sdd. I click cd and it goes to select a boot device and restart! Help!!

• Pablo says:

It was fixed and windows installation too but now it says cd is missing?

• Pablo says:

I get stuck where it says something about the drivers

Pablo,

So you have Windows fully installed, right? Are you going through the above video for installing the drivers and what not? That video goes through everything that you’re going to need to know!

With that, there are some CDs that came with the different parts such as the motherboard. Start installing the necessary drivers from them and that should fix your problem – if I’m understanding you correctly.

42. Pablo says:

I do put the disc in the dvd driver but windows says its not a driver. No, im still on the win7 install page

43. Pablo says:

Oh I forgot to mention im installing Win7 through a usb 😛

So you’re trying to already install the drivers? I’m just a bit confused as to which step you’re at.

If you are installing Win7 through a USB then you’ll have to boot from the USB. Then you’ll be able to install Windows. After installing Windows, you’ll be able to run the driver software that comes with the different CDs – start with the motherboard CD.

If you are still getting an error when trying to install the driver then in another comment let me know what the error is word for word and I’ll be able to help you further!

44. cwg says:

Would this cpu cooler work for this build?

45. Gabriel says:

Hey its Gabriel again you may remember may from posting a comment on your 800 dollar build which I was planning on building but thankfully my boss gave me a little bonus so I upgraded to this build for my first but I wanted to use the NZXT phantom mid tower was wondering if it fit everything needed also wanted my cpu cooler to be 212 evo since this is my first pc wanted to see if that case would be able to fit everything in this build plus this cpu cooler thanks again colton your the best 🙂

46. Caleb says:

Hi there, so I’m not very tech savvy when it comes to building PCs, but I was wondering if I should go with the graphics card recommended in this, or if it doesn’t make much difference. Thanks in advance for any help, I’m at a loss when it comes to this stuff. XD

Caleb,

Go with the one that is better on your wallet. You’re not going to see a super significant difference between the two. The above one is what I recommend simply because EVGA does an awesome job with all of their graphics. Go for the FTW version that is $439.99 right now, click the one above you’ll see the different options!

47. Jesse says:

Hi, I am completely clueless when it comes to building a desktop. Is there anything missing on this list? I have the money to get any extra things I might need, plus I already have all the peripherals I need (I bought a prebuilt computer and have been VERY dissapointed with it) what extra things would you recommend that would help me know I have all the parts I need.

Hi Jesse!

Yes – everything you need (as far as cords and what not as well) is going to come with all of the different parts. The only extra thing you’ll really need is a Philips screwdriver.

Be sure to check out the video I have embedded above before and during the actual process of putting everything together. It’s going to help out ten fold as go to put the build together. It’s step by step!

Let me know if I can help any more as you move forward with your build, all ears here.

48. Todd B. says:

This all looks great and like it would make a beast of a machine, but what if one wanted to go (way) above and beyond? What parts/pieces would a veteran PC builder suggest to an ambitious first-timer for taking this Legendary Build and pushing it over the edge into a God-like Build? My main concern isn’t budget so much as it is compatibility of parts, ease of use/assembly, and what will provide the best staying power (so the PC isn’t obsolete right out of the box with no ability/room for upgrade).

Hey Todd,

Go one level higher on the $2,000 build if you’re wanting to go beyond everything. That build is absolutely future proof for the long haul and it’ll handle all virtual reality, all 4K gaming etc etc in the future for sure!!

• Todd B. says:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Definitely will be bookmarking your site and keeping myself up to date with your future posts. Can’t wait to actually get into this whole PC building (and using, of course) thing — sick of straight-from-the-box computers and/or relying on consoles for my electronic entertainment needs. Also, thank you for the wealth of information and insight you provide here. It’s great to find a site that is accessible for all comers – not just the veterans and pros.

I’m glad that you dig the site man, all of the points you made about it has been my goal since day one so it’s awesome hearing that 🙂

Let me know if I can help any more as you move forward with your build, I’m all ears here!

49. Eden says:

Can I use the Samsung 850 Evo 250 gigabytes as the solid state drive instead and is it better than the one you provided. Also, im new to this kind of stuff (Im a console player), do u need to do the thermal paste thing the guy does in the video? Thank you.

Hey there Eden,

You’re referring to this exact SSD, right? It’d also work and it might be better when looking at very specific specs but it’s not going to be some crazy, significant difference in comparison.

Thermal paste should come with the cooler!!

50. Jimmy Horan says:

Thank you for all the hard work and research you put into this site! I just ordered all the parts for this $1500 build. My cpu cooler is delayed due to shipping. Is it okay to run this pc without it until it arrives in a week? I don’t’ plan on over clocking anytime soon. Thank you again!