Best Gaming PC Build for Under $1500, A Legendary Build

Surfing the web for the best gaming PC build for $1,500? Well look no further because this is a legendary setup and your money is very well invested with this specific build.

With a $1,500 budget you’ll be able to add a solid state drive as well as a 1TB hard drive. This will allow you to be able to run your operating system at full speed while still having the capacity of the 1TB hard drive to store your game library, movies, music and photos.

Be A Legend

If you’re looking to max every single game out there for years to come then this is the build for you. The processor with this build is super powered and will be able to do much more than just be able to process video games. This combined with one of the best graphics card out there makes this build one of the best.

If you’ve never built a computer before and you feel intimidated by it then I just have to say one thing. Don’t be. Building a computer from scratch is a lot easier than most people would think and there are plenty of tutorials out there that can show you step by step.

This specific build is actually going to be very easy to build because you’ll have a lot of space in the case to work with and the motherboard is pretty big so you’ll have a ton of room to make sure everything is nicely done.

The tutorial that I think best shows how to build a computer step by step is the video series by Newegg. They do an excellent job showing even the complete newbie to build a computer. I have inserted the video below if you’d like to see it!

That video should help shed some light on building a computer from complete scratch. When I built my very first gaming PC I went through this video step by step before I had all of my parts in the mail and during the actual process of building it.

If you do each step that is shown in the video at the same time as actually building your computer then it’ll be a lot easier than trying to just review the video beforehand and trying to memorize each step.

With that, let’s get to the actual build.

Optimal Hardware With A $1,500 Budget

Last Updated: February 23rd, 2017

caseCase – Apevia X-Hermes Metal Case

Motherboard – MSI Arsenal TOMAHAWK Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard

cpu2Processor – Intel Core i7-7700K

cpu-coolerCPU CoolerCorsair H60 Liquid Cooler

Video Card – EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW DT GAMING ACX 3.0 8GB

ram RAM – Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB 2133MHz DDR4

ssd Solid State Drive – PNY CS1311 480GB 2.5” SSD

850 Power Supply – EVGA SuperNOVA 80PLUS 850W

cd CD Drive – Asus 24x DVD-RW

Final Price: $1,465.46

This build is legendary.

Anything you throw at this build is going to run phenomenally. Virtual reality will be experienced to its fullest with this build and you’re going to be future-proof for a very long time as far as recommended specs for the latest games go.

The Thermaltake Core case is a great case. Very big and open area to work inside of and comes with many features as well. One of those features is the ability to control the default fan speeds on the case. This is done by the two knobs on the front of the case next to the USB slots. This is pretty cool because you’ll be able to either run your fans as high as they can go so that you can overclock with ease or you can turn them down a notch and get a noiseless experience. The choice is yours!

Having an Intel Core i7-7700k is going to put you in awe once you experience its true processing power. This processor is able to do A LOT more than just process game worlds.

You’ll also be able to use any graphics program and you’ll also be able to design your own high-end video games on this machine if you really desired to do so. Anything outside of the realm of PC gaming is definitely doable with this build, it’s beast!

Keep in mind that the CPU, unlike most other Intel CPUs, will not come with a stock CPU cooler. That’s why I’ve also included an aftermarket cooler to go with. You’ll also be able to overclock a good bit with it making the 7700k even that much better.

You also need to know, since it’s an aftermarket cooler, that you will also need some higher quality thermal paste to go with it. The cooler comes with paste and if you want to trust it then go ahead – but I suggest getting some that is higher quality.

If you’ve got VR gaming in mind then this build will definitely be what you’ll need for the far future. VR takes a lot of processing power but that worry can disappear when you have the 7700k included in your arsenal of hardware within. The future of VR is very bright so it makes complete sense to have a build that is more than capable.

The EVGA GTX 1070 video card is an amazing card. If you’re looking to run any and/or all games that are coming out recently on max graphics settings with 60+ frames per second then this card is definitely going to be able to do that for you. There is an insane amount of power behind this card and trust me when I say you’re not going to be disappointed by going with this card for your $1,500 build.

With that, there is new hardware on the horizon as well. Many are looking at the GTX 1080 for around this budget point and for good reason. The reason why I don’t have the GTX 1080 listed quite yet is because the prices of the new hardware is just not there – yet. Once the prices get to the point of what they were actually announced at then you can definitely know that I’ll be updating the build to include it.

For this specific build I have added a solid state drive (SSD) as well as a normal hard drive (HD). I’d throw your operating system and your favorite games/programs on the SSD and then store all of your other games, photos and movies on the HD. The reason I added both is because a SSD runs about 10x faster than normal HD’s and with this type of budget it just makes sense to add it to the build.

Operating System And More

Now if I were you I’d go ahead and throw Windows 10 on this build for an operating system. If for whatever reason you don’t have the cash flow to grab Windows right away then I’d suggest just grabbing Ubuntu, an open-source Linux based operating system that is really super easy to work with, oh and I forgot to mention that it’s also free to use! 🙂

You can just use Ubuntu until you have the cash for Windows or you might just end up sticking with the Linux based operating system because once you get used to it it’s hard to go back to Windows!

Also, as far as internet connection is concerned, you should take a look at the Panda network adapter below. It keeps a pretty solid wireless network and you simply plug it into any USB port on the PC!

Unless you’re able to go with a direct connection with an ethernet cord – you’re going to need some sort of a wireless adapter to connect to the internet.

All in all if you’re looking at getting a build together that’s going to give you the absolute motherload of experiences in what PC gaming can provide then this is definitely the build for you.

This build is literally going to max everything you throw at it and run it at extremely high frames per second. 🙂 (I WISH I had this build…)

Are you going to be putting this build together for yourself?

220 Responses to Best Gaming PC Build for Under $1500, A Legendary Build

1. Jarrod says:

Hey Colton, I am thinking about a new build with the following. But I’m having trouble deciding between 1000w psu or 850w psu. I’m not overclocking so I was leaning towards 850 to save some cash, but not sure.

Corsair 750d
    EVGA gtx 1070 ftw
    Intel Core i7 6700k and CPU cooler
    Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
    Asus DVD Drive
    500gb ssd
    250gb ssd
    1tb hdd
    16gb RAM
    5 140mm fans

Thanks! 🙂

2. Cody says:

What are some other cases that will work for all these parts

3. Cody says:

Would this work? I’m not sure if I’ll get this one but it is one in looking at

4. Cody says:

Or this one? Will this case also work?

It’d fit all of the hardware but there is no slot for the CD drive. If you know what you’re doing when it comes to finding the correct drivers online for each part then you won’t need a CD drive. But if you don’t know what you’re doing when it comes to that then I’d recommend a different case that has a slot for a CD drive. It streamlines the process of getting the correct drivers installed.

5. Akhil says:

Is this everything I will need for the build. Im getting the parts in a few days

6. Bai Yunxuan says:

Colton, will this case work??

7. Billstang says:

I was wondering if this is a good setup and of everything will work together well past 5yr from now? I was also looking into a good 32″ monitor to go with this build. any help will be greatly appreciated.

For sure it would Billstang, it’s definitely a “future-proof” build. As for a monitor that would best suit it, you’ll want to look at higher resolution monitors. I’d recommend this one from BenQ – if you have the room in your budget then go for the 4K UHD one!

8. Nathan says:

Hey Colton!

If I ever wanted to upgrade to this build from the $1000 build what would need to be upgraded? Thank you and love the helpful guides!

9. Rico Garcia says:

Hey Colton, I am somewhat new when it comes to the world of PC’s and was wondering if this build would be good for streaming and recording games in high quality.

Hey there Rico,

It’d be an excellent build for just that. Keep in mind that streaming more so depends on your internet connection so try to make sure that you’re on a direct connection via ethernet before attempting the streaming process. This would be the ideal build for maximum quality recordings.

10. alexus says:

hey, how can i set up a a headset to this??

Hey Alexus,

There are different types of headsets that you could use. I personally like using a USB headset like this one because all you have to do is plug it into a USB slot, possibly download some drivers then it’s good to go! Some other headsets might use a 3.5mm jack which is also located at the front of the case.

11. Sanchez says:

Hey man, I really like the setup, but is there a better cooler since I have extra money in the budget and a different case too. Thanks

12. Theo says:

Hey! I was wondering if the cd drive is necessary. (BTW i have never built a pc before so maybe some tips as well.)

Hey Theo,

For a first time builder I’d recommend it. It’s possible to find all of the necessary drivers online to download them and install them but having a CD drive streamlines that process since different parts such as the motherboard, graphics card and what not come with CDs that provide those drivers. If you know what you’re doing when it comes to finding those right drivers then it’s not essential.

As far as a huge tip, make sure you go through the above video before AND during the process of putting everything together. It’s going to help out ten fold. Let me know if I can help any more as you move forward with your build!!

13. Collin says:

Do all the parts come with cds to install the drivers

14. Akhil says:

Yo man. I don’t know whether you remember me but I successfully built my PC and it gives me 3 fps on minesweeper :D! Jk but seriously thanks for helping me with the build. My final build is on this link.

I’m working on getting my drivers then I’m all set. Btw did you know cheese increases your gpu speed 300% 😉

Yo Akhil yes I remember! 😀

That’s an awesome build you ended up getting going there, after you get your drivers and cheese installed then you’ll definitely be ready for any and every form of gaming. 😉

Happy gaming my friend!

15. Macys says:

I’m planing on getting this build soon, and was wondering, was monitor you’d recommend. Preferably one where that’s not to expensive. Also the what anti-static band you’d recommend. Thanks tons! 😀 Also To be absolutely clear, all I need, are the parts mentioned, except for an OS of my choosing, right? And a screwdriver, and anti static wrist thing, of course. And a monitor

Hey Macys,

For a build like this you’ll want to have a pretty awesome monitor. You mentioned that you wouldn’t want one that’s too expensive but that doesn’t tell me how much you’re looking to spend really…

This build is totally capable of 1440p and some 4K gaming and that’s what you should shoot for since you’re spending this type of money on a build like this anyway. With that, if you’re not looking to get into higher resolution gaming right off the bat, then this monitor by Asus would be a good, low priced starting monitor. Max resolution of 1080p so the build would be a bi overkill but it’s going to run games at 1080p with no issues at all.

Now for a monitor that would better suit what the build is capable of, I’d recommend this one by Acer for a 1440p monitor and then I’d recommend this one by Asus if you were wanting to look at 4K.

As far as a wrist strap, this one would do fine and yes – the parts mentioned will come with all of the cables you’ll need and so those other things are all you’d need as well! Also a keyboard/mouse!

16. David H says:

Hey,
    I was looking at everything on amazon to build the pc, and I saw this: http://amzn.to/2gD08Ft . I have some money left over, and I was wondering if this would work

17. Jon D says:

Hi, I notice that you always mention on other builds that upgrading to an i7 cpu isn’t usually necessary; so would using this build with an i5 6600k work fine? Also would this build perform much better than the $1000 build with the downgraded processor?

Hi Jon,

The main differences when factoring in using the 6600k would be the added 8GB of RAM and the ability to use a SSD. Other than that, both builds use a GTX 1070 for the graphics card. Sure, the above one might have a slightly better clock speed but the difference in performance isn’t going to be extremely significant.

The i7 is still an amazing processor, it’s just not entirely essential for overall gaming today. It was designed for those that are looking into heavy rendering programs and the like.

18. David H says:

Out of curiosity, what build do you have? You said at the bottom of the details that you wish that you had this build.

19. David H says:

I just want to say thank you. I have ordered everything, and I can’t wait to build this PC you have designed. It will be my first build ever, and I cant wait! Still, thank you Colton.

20. Jerrad says:

This build looks awesome and I have come here for your help in a previous build I now have. But I am looking to upgrade. Would this build here work in this case?
    I really like the shorter cube look and seems to be more airflow oriented, and I’m assuming it will allow for easier expansion in the future?

Hey Jerrad,

From looking at the dimensions – yes, everything should be able to work with that case! You’ll be able to expand with it for sure.

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build man!

21. Macys says:

Good morning
    I’m having trouble connecting the case fans to the motherboard, the pins in the motherboard are much too small. What should i do? I’m using the Cha_fan/chassie fans slot. Thanks 🙂
    -first time builder

Hey Macys,

How do you mean that the pins in the motherboard are too small? Are there other fan pins that are still open to use?

• Macy says:

Yeah I meant the motherboard pins were too small, I figured out to use molex connectors though. That is correct right? Also when I went to turn on the PC, nothing, completly dead. I have all the wiring right, I’m pretty sure, so I prob just messed up the motherboard somehow, is there any way to check what’s wrong with it?
        Thanks:)

Yes, some fans use those connectors so if it fits right then that’s correct!

As dar as troubleshooting, you have the CPU fan plugged into the right port? You’ve looked at the motherboard manual for the correct RAM slots to use? Do you have a motherboard speaker plugged in and if so are you getting any beeps?

Sounds to me there is just maybe one little thing wrong with how you’re trying to power it. With my first build I actually forgot to turn the power supply on for the longest time haha! So check into that as well though I’m sure you have it turned on. You’re using the above video as a guide right?

• Macy says:

I’m using the video above+ several other videos lol, and I have the CPU fan hooked up to the CPU fan slot lol. Imma try taking it apart and putting it all together again. I have read the motherboard manual several time, the RAM and video card definitely in the right place, I have the speaker in the correct slot, including the negative and positive sides for everything. What’s the bare min I would have to have hooked up to do a test boot?

22. Macy says:

Nvm it says it in the vid, I’ll try that tommrow, and see if it’ll test boot

Right on, let me know what you find out!

• Macys says:

Good news, it booted up. Guess it was the power supply after all, since once i got the replacement it started to work. Bad news, the video card will light up, the fans wont spin, but i’m guessing that’s because it has to get to a certain temp, at least that’s the internet said, the real problem is, when the HDMI cord is plugged into the video card, the bios wont boot up, like my monitor screen is just black. The bios works 100% when the video card isn’t on the motherboard, it wont work even when the HDMI is plugged into the motherboard and the video card is in the motherboard. Could it be the HDMI cord? I had to use the third slot because it wouldn’t fit in the bigger slots on the video card.
        Just reread previous comments, when I did the boot i didn’t have the speaker plugged in, don’t know if that matters.
        Also like i have this like idk how to explain it, this like “ASUS P/N 12005 00240200”, should i put that on the pins where the speaker/power sw, ect are?
        Thanks so much for any help, I have a feeling i’m not gonna figure out the video card problem on my own. Also i can return the video card till the end of this month, if you think its a faulty card.

Awesome.

If you’re able to test out another HDMI cable I would do it. It’s unlikely that it’s the cables fault but it could also be a driver thing.

Do you have a DVI cable to test out? It’s basically the same quality as HDMI just a different type of cable really.

Also that Q-connector adapter that you’re referring to isn’t essential but it would have helped for the front panel stuff. This video is an old one but it basically shows what it was designed for. If you already have the front panel stuff plugged in and working then I wouldn’t worry about it.

• David H says:

This happened to me. Did you press the power button on the case as well turn on the switch on the PSU.

23. Macy says:

So after some diging on the internet I’ve found that it could be because I haven’t updated the drivers or something like that, so do I just get an OS, run it, and then plug in my video card? Is there any possible way it could be my HDMI cord?

Another note is that the fans on some cards won’t spin until it is at a higher temp like you mentioned, you’re right. You could try using the integrated graphics to install an OS to install the drivers if you wanted to. But I would also try out using a DVI cable if you have one or able to get one.

Let me know!!

• Macys says:

._. so i searched what a DIV cable was, and my monitor came with one, am i not supposed to hook both the DVI and the HDMI up?

24. David H says:

I just built my computer, and it works great!
    In fact, it is what I am using to write this!
    I love this thing.
    Thanks,
    David H

25. Macys says:

Okay, so i was using the wrong cord, There was blue one with a smaller like insert thing, and i just found one with the bigger, that would actually fit into the graphics card, Thanks so much for all your help, lord knows i would have finished it years from now without it

Awesome! Honestly, it’s usually something small like this and all it takes is a bit of tinkering around to figure it out! You’re welcome for the help, enjoy the new build 😀

26. Scott W says:

Hey Colton I just have a couple of questions in regards to the SSD, video card, and cooler. Would the respected items you recommended on your $2000 build work for this build? I like the extra space for games with the 512 SSD and also the video card recommended there is super nice and I’m not quite sure if a double hydro cooling system would work for this build. If you find time to answer these pesky questions, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

27. Steve says:

Would this case work? http://amzn.to/2lNx3d4

Also this Wifi Adapter? http://amzn.to/2mlEwOn

28. Brandon says:

Can i substitute the EVGA GTX 1080 FTW for the EVGA GTX 1070 FTW with this build? Keep everything the same just different graphic cards