Best Gaming PC Build Under $500 Dollars, This PC Will OWN in 2017!

To find the best gaming PC build under 500 dollars you’re going to have to find the best parts for the lowest price possible and then build it yourself. Building your own computer has many benefits and is actually a lot easier than you think!

Well you just lucked out! 🙂 Today I feel like sharing how to build the best gaming PC build for under 500 dollars and I also want to show you the best place to get your parts for this EPIC build!

Next-gen PC gaming is going to take quite a bit of GPU and CPU power to run games for the next few years…

But… for around the same price as the present day consoles you can build a custom gaming PC that OWNS! (Seriously.) 😀

You’re About To Build a Beast

I mean, we’re talking MAX graphic settings on most games that are coming up. This build is worth every penny because PC gaming also comes with it’s many benefits. . . (Loads of free games, game modding support, an awesome community – etc.)

Trust me, you’ll never regret the day that you become an official PC gamer. 😉

So let’s get down to it.

How would an individual go about building a custom gaming computer for under $500? Seems impossible, right?

WRONG. Sure the initial price of a gaming computer can be spendy, but that’s the whole point of getting this particular build for this price. This build will run games much smoother and much faster than the Xbox One or the PS4!

Also if you don’t have all of the money required to get the full build then that’s fine! For me, I bought each part as I could afford them and then once I had every part with me I watched a video tutorial on how to build a computer while I was actually building my computer. Building the computer while watching the video helped out a TON.

Honestly, the video that best explains the process of building a custom computer is on Newegg TV. In the video, Paul from Newegg shows you step by step how to build a computer from scratch! The video is below so when you go to build your gaming computer you can just bookmark this post and refer to it here if you’d like! 🙂

Be sure to follow this video step by step as you build your PC. This is the same video that I viewed before and during my building process!

It’s a great idea to understand exactly what you’re getting into so I suggest watching the series as many times as possible! 😛

Optimal Hardware For A $500 Budget

Last Updated: February 23rd, 2017

I have found the following parts to be of the best value to build an epic gaming monster for under 500 bucks.

Each link will take you to Amazon’s listing for the certain part. Amazon has the world’s greatest customer service team and you are guaranteed a perfect transaction when doing business with Amazon.

case Computer case – Thermaltake Versa H22

Motherboard – ASUS LGA1151 M.2 H110 MicroATX

Video Card – Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

cpu Processor – Intel Core i3-6100

RAM – Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single DDR4

psuPower supply – EVGA 500w W1 80+

Though these days it can be tough to squeeze a custom gaming PC for $500, this build does the trick. Now the prices of the parts do rise and fall so even though at the time of this writing the build is $514 it can still be lower or higher than that number, it just depends on the prices of each part.

With PC gaming evolving as much as it is with it’s hardware, it is currently kind of tough to get a custom gaming PC that will be up to good use for the next few years. Give the PC gaming industry some time and things will become much more cheaper as PC power increases. 🙂

Now although this build might be more than your budget you will just need to trust me on this one. This is THE build that you are looking for around $500. This is going to give you an amazing PC gaming experience and so dishing out an extra bit to create it really shouldn’t phase you.

A quick note about the CPU, there are different options to go about purchasing it. Just go with the option that states “Processor Only” because it will come with the stock Intel cooler. I wouldn’t worry about having any other type of cooler until you decide to upgrade the processor down the road to one that will allow you to overclock. Otherwise the stock cooler is going to do just fine.

I have changed the computer case to the Thermaltake one simply because it comes with a front USB 3.0 slot and this build can do USB 3.0. It’s ten dollars more expensive than your cheapest computer cases so if you’re really trying to get the best/lowest budget possible for your build then I would suggest grabbing this case instead.

If you want to browse through a bunch of different case choices then Click Here! For the most part, any mid tower case will work fine with this build. Feel free to ask me if you want to know if a specific case will work within the comments area below this post!

If you have the extra bit of room in your budget for it, a 4GB RX 480 would be the most optimal choice for the video card. But since the pricing is a bit off right now, it makes sense to pick up the 1050 Ti. The 1050 Ti is an amazing card and right now it’s at a very low price, I’d grab it while it’s still at this current price point of around $140!

Seriously though, with the performance of it… well I had a Radeon HD 7770 with my last build and this card owns the performance of my previous card. I was able to run Skyrim at max texture settings no AA and Dragon Age: Inquisition at tweaked med-highish settings. This would have been an epic upgrade from my last build!

Luckily, this build is pretty beast and will handle the epicness of the PC gaming world for a bit. You’ll have 1TB worth of storage space and this will ensure that you have enough space for the big titles such as Fallout 4 or Star Wars Battlefront!

A keyboard, mouse, and monitor are also needed to experience the beauty of the PC gaming world. If you’re currently looking for a good gaming keyboard then you should check out this awesome keyboard/mouse combination. It’s pretty slick, it looks unique and it has a nice price tag on it. 🙂

As I said, a monitor is also needed. I’ve used this 1080p monitor by Asus for many years now and it still works just as if it were brand new. I would definitely recommend checking it out!

71r1E7x7PlL._SL1500_ MonitorAsus VS228H

Optionally if you’re looking for a controller to use for your new gaming PC then I’d suggest taking a look at my picks for the Best PC Gaming Controllers. I personally use the glowing LED controller, but any of the controllers in that list will work just fine with this build and any other build with USB slots which I guess would be basically every PC out there! 😛

Choosing an operating system is entirely up to you. Windows 10 costs about $90 and nobody really wants to dish out that kind of cash for an operating system. You could always throw Linux on your computer for the time being until you save enough money or figure out a way to get Windows 10 for free on a burnt disk.

Linux is a free open source operating system and Steam works pretty well with it but not every game has been moved over to the Linux OS.

I will not show you how to get Windows for free simply because I do not promote piracy or illegal downloads in any way shape or form. But like I said above, it is entirely up to you. Google it if you really want to pirate Windows.

If you do decide to go with Windows, make sure that you grab the 64bit version so that you will be able to use all 8GB of your RAM.

A wireless network adapter is an optional PC part but it allows you to access your internet wirelessly through small antennas that stick out of the back of your PC.

Just plug em’ in, install the drivers and then you’re all set for accessing your internet.

Below are links to a network adapter that is suitable for Windows 10 and to the Windows 10 64bit operating system.

Now I know that I usually recommend going with a broadband PCI express wireless network adapter but right now there are none on the market that I know of that are compatible with Windows 10. It seems like many people are upgrading to Microsoft’s new OS and so it is important to make sure that you have something that is going to be compatible.

Based on the reviews on Amazon for the product, it has a great connection to wifi!

If you’re looking for a build that’s going to handle most games on high graphic settings and if you’re also looking for good frame rates at those settings then this is definitely the build for you.

This build will dominate most games coming out this year and you’re totally in luck for this next-gen experience if you go with this build! 🙂

If you have any questions about the build feel free to ask me in the comments area below! 😀

5,378 Responses to Best Gaming PC Build Under $500 Dollars, This PC Will OWN in 2017!

1. Leviathan says:

Do I have to get a SSD?

2. Levi says:

Hi! I am about to get this build bbut i plan on getting a fan for the cpu then using the stock one that comes with the intel i3, I was wondering what would be a really good fan? I was thinking about getting the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO but I think that will be to big for the case,I could also get a GeminII S524 Ver. 2 but i dont know really, can you help me? Im at a stand still at the moment and any advice is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Hi Levi!

Honestly, I want to talk you out of getting an aftermarket cooler for the i3.

The stock cooler that it comes with is more than enough since it can’t be overclocked. You see, the only reason you’d need an aftermarket cooler is if you had a CPU that was able to be overclocked. That’s the point of the aftermarket coolers, to keep cooling at a high level during high levels of overclocking.

Since the above i3 cannot be overclocked, the stock cooler makes the most sense. It’s going to keep it cool 100%, no worries on the cooling when it comes to Intel’s cooler! Let me know what you think!

3. Nate Pewthers says:

Hey Colton thank you so much for making this website it helped me a lot when making my PC and I even ended up finding a Nvidia GTX 970 for $170! I am glad I was able to find this website it helped a lot thanks!

Hey there Nate! Glad that you’re digging the site!

You found a really good deal there! Always here for whatever else also be sure to check out other posts and what not on the site! 🙂

4. Dave says:

Hi there. I ordered almost all the parts as you’ve suggested, but am having troubles with ordering the processor. Would the FX-8300 by AMD be a good alternative to the i3 in this case?

Something like the FX-8350 wouldn’t be a bad processor to go with but you’d also need to go with a different motherboard. Maybe look into picking up the i5-6500 instead? Let me know what you would rather end up doing and I’ll point you in the right direction Dave!

5. Tom says:

Could you recommend a budget friendly window case for this build?

6. Billee says:

Do I have to install the GeForce drivers from their website? It’s saying it’ll take ake more than 12 hours to do so.

Yes, was there not a disc to use or did you decide not to use a CD drive with the build? Either way, yes you’ll have to get the drivers from the official website. Are you using a direct connection or a wireless connection for internet?

7. Brandon L says:

Will core i5 work with this build? And is it worth the upgrade?

The Skylake i5’s would work and if you plan on doing rendering work and what not, or simply want to future proof it that much further then yes it’d be worth upgrading to! I’d recommend going up to the i5-6500 if you were planning on it!

8. Joseph says:

So I bought everything but I just realized I bought the Intel boxed core i3-6300 will that make a big difference? Or is it even compatable ?

9. Zachary says:

Putting this together is frustrating me beyond belief, especially were to put all the power stuff. Is there going to be some things that don’t plug in? I’m so lost because this is my first time building a PC

Zachary,

You’re using the above video, right? It goes step by step through the whole process. I recommend watching the video while simultaneously putting your build together, pausing at each step as you move along.

10. Eons Fury says:

Quick question can I use a 600 watt power supply for this set up

11. DiscoParachute says:

I ordered this exact build except for the optical drive. I was wondering if this will run Arma 3.

12. aidan says:

do i need a cd drive

It’s only essential if you don’t know what you’re doing when it comes to installing an operating system without a CD and/or getting the correct drivers installed.

13. Kelvin says:

I think I will try building this computer. Does this work well for MOBA games such as League of Legends?

14. Healy Stevens says:

Can this pc setup run fallout 4 on high?

15. Julian Goldenstein says:

I havent yet turned the computer on, but before hand, I was wondering if the PCi-E cord had to be plugged in, because thats the only thing not plugged in for me.

Hey Julian,

You’re following the above video guide while you’re putting everything together, right?

I’m not quite sure what you mean by the “PCi-E cord”… care to elaborate a bit on that?

16. Jeremy says:

I noticed the hard drive you suggest is bare and comes with no wires. Is that okay? Does this build come with Everything I need to set up and use it? Or do I need to buy something else?

Hey there Jeremy,

Yes – all of the above parts will come with the necessary cables needed to get everything put together. Let me know if you have any other questions as you move forward with your build, I’m all ears man!

17. Chris says:

Hey I was setting up this build but when I connected it to the tv so I could enter bios it wouldn’t find a signal not only that but when I plug in the new mouse and keyboard, the keyboard doesn’t work but the mouse lights up any help?

Hey there Chris,

Are you connecting the video cable from the video card over to the TV? Which type of cable are you using?

• Chris says:

I am connecting the HDMI to the tv from the videocard

• Chris says:

Seems to have a sort of bootcycle

All of the fans are moving when you power up your PC?

• Chris says:

Yes sir

• Chris says:

Hey colton! I can’t really tell if my comments are going through so I just commented again today if there are a spam of comments im sorry haha but Im just really eager to get this pc running! so yeah the fans are moving and everything seems to start up and 15 seconds later everything shut downs and starts up again hence the bootcycle and it doesn’t stop until I turn of the power source if you can help that would be oh so awesome this list is very good and I used video above to

They’re coming through, just haven’t been able to get to all of the comments quite yet!

Can’t remember if I asked but do you have your motherboard speaker plugged in? Are there any beeps that go off? Have you tried each RAM slot? BIOS doesn’t pop up?

If you’re certain that you have everything plugged in correctly from the right power cable to the video card to the right fan pins plugged in for the CPU cooler to everything else then something might actually be faulty. This is a super rare thing, once in a blue moon, but it can indeed happen.

You’ll have to troubleshoot somehow… Which I doubt there’d be a computer around that you’d be able to test the RAM with. Any friends of yours that are also using DDR4 RAM?

Let me know and I’ll try to get back to you faster this time around!

18. Danial says:

is the case Rosewill Micro ATX Mini Tower SRM-01 compatible with this build ?

19. Gabe says:

I was looking at this case:
    Will it work?

20. Fantasia says:

Hello, Colton.

I recently read your article on building a gaming PC, and I have to say that you’ve definitely caught my interest. So I have a few questions regarding gaming PC builds in our present era. I realized that a lot of people use recommended builds, and accessories following up to the PC’s ultimate conclusion in it’s born legacy. Here are my following questions:

-Would it be possible to mix up random parts from now’s currently sold products such as; Video Cards (GTX Black Titan, or others that are just as good or less, but still give the best performance.), Motherboard, etc etc?

-Will the build’s case have too be exactly right, or could it be any size in terms of dimensionals (Height x Width, Lengths and so on.)?

-What are the best curved monitors so far in terms of sight seeing, not only in it’s own performance after turning it on, but also picture quality in; HDMI, or 4K visual prowess?

Keep up the good works, man!

Hello Fantasia,

I’m not sure if I follow completely with what you’re asking, but you’ll be able to use parts from previous generations if that’s what you mean. Most video cards would be fine but switching out something like the motherboard or processor you’d have to be very specific on which parts you were wanting to switch out.

The case simply has to be big enough. If you want to check out other cases I’d recommend looking at other mid tower cases on Amazon and if you find one that you think you’d want to use then you can link it to me in another comment and I’ll let you know whether or not if it’d work!

I’m not the most knowledgeable person in that regard but from what I see, you aren’t going to find curved monitors at 4K resolution at Amazon or for a reasonable price just yet. For a high quality curved monitor something like the Samsung C27F591 is highly sought after! It’s a 1080p resolution display which is perfect for a build like this. This build isn’t really geared towards 4K resolution.

Let me know if I can help any further as you move forward with the build!!

21. ayy lmao says:

Hi Man I have a question will this case will work here is the link

And if that doesnt work the case name is VIVO Micro-ATX “SMART” Mid Tower Computer Gaming PC Case White / 5 Fan Mounts, USB 3.0 Port (CASE-V06W) It will be nice to find out Asap Thanks man

• ayy lmao says:

PS I have another question how much frame rates it takes like for e.g Cs go is 60 fps overwatch is 100 fps and all that.

You’ll be able to use that case if you don’t plan on using the CD drive or if you plan on using a USB CD drive instead.

Reason being is because it just doesn’t have any slots for a CD drive. Otherwise everything else would fit and work just fine with it!

22. Justin says:

Hi Colton. Do you think I could run Ark on this build smoothly? Maybe with medium-high settings?

Hi Justin,

A tweaked med-high setting like you said would result in a frame rate that would be entirely playable. A tweaked med setting would give you even more frames. Either way, definitely smooth enough to enjoy!

23. Jared_Trouble says:

hey was wondering if i would be about to put an i7 in this motherboard later on down the road ?

24. Evan says:

Would it make a big difference if I built the $600 build rather than the $500 build.

There’s a noticeable difference in performance, yes. Going with the $600 build gives you an AMD processor that can be overclocked for further potential and you also get a better graphics card that’ll give more FPS than the $500 would yield. All comes down to your budget and what you’re willing to spend!

25. Evan says:

Also could you upgrade to the MSI GAMING Radeon RX 480

26. dhowington says:

Even after watching the build I am having trouble. Does the graphivs card even directly plug into the power supply?

Hey dhowington,

I suggest going through the video while also doing the same steps, it makes it a lot easier than trying to understand the video all the way through then trying to do it without a visual – if that’s what you’re attempting anyway.

How do you mean directly plugging into the power supply? There is a power cable that runs from the power supply that’ll connect with the GPU if that’s what you mean? Let me know!

27. Rainbows says:

Would any one of these be a good gaming computer? And if you can upgrade this, plz let me know

Rainbows,

I’d go with the i5-6500 build. No need to spend that much for something like the i7 when you’re only thinking about gaming.

Also the DVD drive listed isn’t an official, good one to use. I’d recommend going with this Asus one if you needed one included.

28. Aiden says:

Hey man. First off I just wanna say thanks a lot cause you’ve really helped aim me in the right direction. I showed my friend the build and afterwards he showed me a different graphics card. MSI GAMING Radeon RX 470 GDDR5 4GB CrossFire FinFET DirectX 12 Graphics Card (RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC) I was just wondering if this would work and give me a bit better quality then the one you listed.

• Aiden says:

and also i want to play fast pace fps games like black ops and titan fall. Should i upgrade to an intel core i5 6500 or will the games still be playable with the i3

You could stick with the i3 and still get good enough performance for titles like those! If you want more “future-proof” power behind the build, and VR possibilities then the i5 6500 would be what you want to upgrade to!

Hey there Aiden, glad that you are digging the site and the build!

You’re referring to this exact card – right? Yes, it has a good bit better performance than the above card in comparison. If you have the room in your budget then I’d say go for it!

Better yet, for only a few bucks more, you can get a RX 480 for even more performance!

29. David says:

I am going into an IT course in about a month but am looking to get this computer for both course work and gaming. I was wondering if going with an i5 rather than i3 would be worth it, in order to increase power for running programs?

• David says:

Also would my power suply require more wattage in order to run the more powerful processor?

No you wouldn’t need to. Processors don’t really take as much power as many would assume. You’d only need to have more power if you decided to go with a processor that was able to overclock.

Hey David,

I’d say that it’d be a wise investment to go with something like the i5-6500 – if your course work includes needing to render and what not then that upgrade would be worth doing.

30. Will says:

Hey I just made this computer and it’s freaking awesome. Thanks for the plan!!

31. League says:

Has anyone tested league of legends on this build?
    Thank you in advance!

• League says:

Ignore my previous comment.
      My main concern before building my first PC is will it have the following:
      Ethernet port
      USB Port
      headphone jack
      Dual speakers
      HDMI port
      Camera at the top of monitors that will be compatible with the PC?

League,

Yes. Ethernet, USB ports, headphone jack and HDMI port all come with the case/motherboard. There will be a headphone & mic jack that will be on the case which you’ll connect to the motherboard and everything else is going to come with the motherboard.

As far as speakers, you’re going to have to find some that you like. I’d recommend these ones from Creative – they’re the same ones that I currently have and they’re super awesome! Easy to hook up and the sound quality is top notch.

32. Grant Clark says:

I’ve decided on the 500 dollar build with the following changes. It adds another 100 bucks to the build. Are the changes compatible? I believe they are, just want to make sure.

MSI Computer DIMM LGA 1151 Motherboards H110M PRO-VD PLUS

ASUS Dual-Fan Radeon Rx 480 4GB OC Edition AMD Gaming Graphics Card with DP 1.4 HDMI 2.0 (DUAL-RX480-O4G)

EVGA 700 B1, 80+ Bronze 700W, Power Supply 100-B1-0700-K1

In the video, you installed a couple more exhaust fans. I don’t see that in the list of parts for the build. They are inexpensive. What do you recommend?

Grant

Grant,

The board you’re referring to is this exact one – right? Just want to make sure!

The other changes would work just fine, though I’m not sure why you’d want to go with a 700w power supply? Are you planning on having an overclock capable CPU down the road hence having that much power? It’s a bit overkill for the build as is.

Other than that yeah you’d be good to go. As far as the extra fans in the vid, that’s due to using a different cooler. No need for adding extra fans!

33. Hristijan says:

ughh i dont have this parts in my country i wish amazon shiped to my country

Hey Hristijan,

Sorry but I don’t have any way of being able to connect these exact parts for other countries… It’s something I’m trying to look into though! Does your country have a specific URL for Amazon in your country by chance?

34. mxmm says:

This will be my first build and I literally know nothing and building pcs lol. All I really care about is running games like bo3, overwatch and cs:go smoothly. Would it be capable of that? Also, would this case work with it? Rosewill ATX Case , Mid Tower Case with Blue LED Fan / Gaming Case for PC with Side Window Panel & 3 Fans Pre-Installed , Computer Case 2 x USB3.0 Port – NAUTILUS. Sorry for the long comment. Thanks!

Hey mxmm,

Be sure you’re going through the above video before and during the actual process of getting everything put together, it’s going to help out ten fold.

Also is this exact case the case that you’re referring to? If so then yes, it’ll work just fine!

No need to apologize for the comment length, I don’t mind! Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build.

35. Joshua says:

So what processors could i upgrade to if i dont want the i3?

36. Luis says:

Thank you so much for your dedication! I was wondering if there was a way to save a little more. For example buying used parts, or cheaper ones that wouldn’t have an impact on the graphics.

Thank you so much!

Luis

Luis,

You’re very welcome, thank you for the kind words!

I personally wouldn’t recommend picking up used parts… it makes more sense to get everything new. As far as cheaper parts, there are plenty of cheaper cases. Such as this one from VIVO is a good example. The lower priced you go, the lower quality material you’ll end up with but I wouldn’t share something that wouldn’t work to get the job done.

As far as the actual hardware, I wouldn’t go any cheaper. You’ll be sacrificing too much power that way. Not really worth it.

37. Austin says:

Hey there! I got the exact parts for this build. There is no place to plug the power supply to the 1050 TI. Also when I try to start it nothing happens. Can I get some help? Ive tried turning on the power supply for nothing to happen and I also tried to connect the clr_cmos with a screwdriver, what am I doing wrong?

Hey Austin!

You’ve got everything plugged in correctly? Have you gone through the video again just to make sure you have it all good to go? The CPU fan is plugged in, you’ve tried different RAM slots?

No additional power is needed on the graphics card so you’re good to go there… Let me know!

• Austin says:

One of the pins in the CPU fan didnt click but it looks like its in. Could that be it? Just would hate to have just spent 530 dollars for it not to work

You’ll want to make sure it’s in all the way for sure… it’s usually something small man. I know all of the parts are totally compatible and many have put the same build together.

It’s a tedious thing but if you’re not able to spot what you did wrong then you may have to take everything apart and put it all back together in order again… Could keep the motherboard in as well as the CPU, I don’t think you’d have to remove the CPU again. You’ve tried to use the other RAM slot?

• Austin says:

I figured it out. I finally got it to boot up but nothing will show on my TV. I plugged the HDMI into the Graphics card as well as the motherboard. Not sure whats going on. Maybe the TV wont show the screen?

Are you able to try out the DVI port on the video card? Sometimes you need to have a driver installed/updated for the video card before HDMI will work and that might be the case. Therefore it’d be worth trying to use a DVI connection.

If you aren’t able to do that meaning you have no monitor/display with DVI let me know!

38. Harsh says:

Can I go with LG 24MP88HV-S 24″IPS Slim LED Monitor rather then Asus as it’s not available in my country

39. Elliott B says:

Did you guys have any issues connecting the monitor via HDMI? my issue is that only DVI works. I have the same part list as in the article.

40. Elliott B says:

All went well but the HDMI connection to the card does not work, DVI does. I checked the input on the monitor but that wasn’t it, any ideas? I also plugged it in to the moboard and it didn’t work.

thanks

You have all of the drivers installed as well? That’s really the only reason I can think of as to why the HDMI connection wouldn’t work.

If it ends up not working at all, DVI is basically the same quality as HDMI. Unless you’re wanting to use HDMI for a specific monitor/TV. There are also adapters that go DVI to HDMI so you could look into those as well if need be!

41. J SMITH says:

Can it run games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, DOOM, Battlefield 1, etc. ?

42. Ji says:

Would i3-7100 work instead of i3-6100?

Hey Ji,

So you’re wanting to use the i3-7100 – it’ll work but some motherboard of this chipset may need a BIOS update before using it.

• Ji says:

Thanks a lot for the guide man, the PC works just fine! The one thing I did differently is use the GA-H110M-S2H motherboard instead because I wanted more display ports. And there comes my tiny bit problem…

The PC recognizes my monitor only through the HDMI port on the video card and it won’t recognize the monitors via any other ports. Any piece of advice? I’m still researching…

Ji,

That’s awesome that the build is working good for you! The reason why the other ports on the motherboard won’t work is because that’s actually the video card’s job – when you’ve got a video card installed that overrides whatever ports you’d use on the motherboard.

43. Eric says:

I don’t know too much about PC, so I was wondering if there is a better video card I can use, I’m down for spending a little more.

Hey there Eric,

The next best thing that makes the most sense would be something like this RX 480 from MSI because anything else before that wouldn’t match up to the power per dollar spent. Sure, there are cheaper options, but it really doesn’t make sense when you pay just a tad bit more for a significant amount more power.

Let me know if that works for you!

44. Zachary says:

Do you think that it would be ok to use a tv as a monitor temporarly until I get the money to buy a nice monitor?

For sure Zachary! Just make sure that the TV you’d use has a HDMI/DVI port that you’ll be able to use with the graphics card. I did the same thing with my first build, used a TV for a short while until I was able to afford a monitor!

45. Keegan S. says:

Thanks for the build! I currently have 12GB of DDR3L ram that I would like to use, is there a motherboard that works with all the stuff you have listed and with the 12GB of DDR3L ram. Thanks!

No problem Keegan!

You’d have to switch out the motherboard to something compatible with DDR3.

The change would have to be something like this motherboard from Asus – it still allows you to use the i3-6100 as well as DDR3 RAM. From my knowledge, DDR3 and DDR3L RAM is entirely the same except for how much voltage is used with the RAM. DDR3L uses less voltage while being used.

46. Dex says:

Hi, for the case could i use a Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Black Gaming Computer Case instead. Also for the RAM do i just need 1 stick?

47. R says:

Hey Colton, I really liked your build and it is in my 500 dollar price range. I have some copies of Linux and Ubuntu laying around and was wondering if those would still work good on the PC from a gaming perspective. Also would all the drivers still install the same even if I ran linux or Ubuntu?

Hey there R,

Yes, you could use any operating system you’d like. As far as a gaming perspective – Windows 10 is definitely the more compatible OS when thinking it terms of a large library of games working right off the bat. There are quite a few titles that are compatible with Linux but there are also 3rd party programs, such as WINE, that will help you to play “Windows only” games on a Linux platform.

If you don’t mind messing around with programs like that a bit then you’d be good to go to use it!

48. Zoe G says:

Hey, I plan on using my computer for gaming, streaming, and editing purposes. Should I upgrade to an i5 processor? And if did would that require a higher power supply? Your builds are awesome and inspired me to build my first computer! 🙂

Hey Zoe!

For sure, I’d recommend going with the i5-6500 since it would help more with the editing/rendering processes. There wouldn’t be a need for more power! Intel is pretty good for consuming a small amount of power.

I’m glad that you dig the builds! 🙂 What will be your Twitch/YouTube name? I’ll have to check it out!

49. Linus Reddenbacher says:

So I am very new to PC gaming. I have a few games on my current PC but it is complete trash and can barely run them. You claim the PC will be able to run games like Overwatch on Ultra at 60FPS consistently, but after being ripped off before I am skeptical. Is there any way you can prove to me that this is good? I’m not doubting you, I just want to make sure that I will be getting my money’s worth. I looked through the comments and tried to find someone actually saying it worked well but I couldn’t, but that could have been me just being stupid, and if so I apologize. If you reply, thank you for your time.

Hey there Linus,

Were you ripped off from a pre-built? I’ve got a post right here all about how companies rip people off with pre-built PCs… It’s getting better recently but it’s still not worth it. Doing a build of your own yields to results that are optimal for power per dollar spent.

As far as proof, you can go ahead and look on YouTube for PCs running these specs for specific games if you need to see it yourself. For example, type in “i3-6100 gtx 1050 ti Overwatch” and you’ll find plenty of videos showcasing how well it performs.

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with the build, I’m here for any and all questions and the only stupid ones are the ones you don’t ask! 😉

50. Chan says:

Hey, Colton! I built this one for myself and just wanna say AWESOME! I added an SSD for installing the OS and it did a great job. Also, I checked your keyboard and mouse reviews. The Coolmaster keyboard and mouse are great with low price! Thank you very much, man!

Hey there Chan!

It’s good to hear that you got it finished up! Adding the SSD was a wise choice!!

And yes, for the price point and for what you get, they’re very good! Happy gaming man feel free to check out other recent posts, it’d be good to hear from you down the road!