Gaming PC Build For $900, Top Tier Custom Build 2017

Putting together a gaming PC build for $900 would put you in a great position to experience everything PC gaming has to offer for 2017 and beyond.

Prepare Yourself For Epicness

If you’re looking to run games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, Dying Light, Grand Theft Auto V, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and/or The Division on max graphic settings and high resolution while maintaining a high frame rate then this is the build for you.

This PC gives you the most bang for your buck and your return of computer power on your investment is well spent once you experience this computer for yourself. (FOR REAL. THIS BUILD IS BEAST.)

This build will stand the test of time, and if you’re at all interested in diving into virtual reality down the road then you can know that this build will be able to give you that experience full-scale.

If you’ve never built your own computer then have no fear, building a computer is actually a lot easier than what you’d think it would be. Sure it sounds like a pretty intimidating task, but through personal experience I can tell you that I know you can do it because when I went to build my first computer I had no experience at all… I was only interested in getting myself into the PC gaming arena while still staying within my budget range!

When I built my first computer I followed a video tutorial while I built my computer at the same time. Now for the first time around it took me a bit of time to learn how each part worked together but the time spent was time well spent because the process of building a computer stays with you after you learn it much like anything else in life, I’ve been able to build many more computers for friends and family and can now put a computer together in about an hours time! 😀

In my opinion, the #1 video tutorial for building a computer from scratch is done by Newegg. I have embed the video below from YouTube so feel free to bookmark this post to watch the video while you’re putting your PC gaming build together!

Once you get all of your parts be sure to review the video above that way you can be sure that you will be able to put your computer together the way it was meant to be put together.

With that, let’s get to the hardware.

Optimal Parts On A $900 Budget

Last Updated: January 17th, 2017

caseCase – Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Galaxy-02

moboMotherboard – Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 GA-Z170M-D3H

cpuProcessorIntel Core i5-6600k

cpu coolerCPU Cooler – Cooler Master GeminII M4

gpu Video Card – PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

RAM – Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Single

81Dg81MArtL._SL1500_ Hard DriveSeagate 1TB

psPower Supply – Corsair CX750 Builder Series ATX 80 PLUS Bronze Certified

cdCD Drive – Asus 24x DVD-RW

This build is definitely going to ensure that you get the most power for the amount of money you throw down on your build.

Right now these parts together are a good amount less than $900, so if you’re wanting to spend a bit more then I’d also suggest adding a solid state drive since it’ll make everything run a lot faster in comparison to a traditional hard drive. I had a solid state drive listed in the last update but since the market has moved around a bit since then I had to remove it to stay within the $900 budget.

At least now the price is a decent bit below $900 though, right? With that extra bit I’d suggest either saving it for peripherals or simply getting a better CPU cooler. Up to you!

As far as the computer case goes, the Rosewill case that I have listed above is going to be 100% compatible with this build and is going to work perfectly when you go to build this PC.

This case also has USB 3.0 capabilities and if you’re looking to go cheaper on your case then just know that you won’t be able to utilize the USB 3.0 technology that is available with the motherboard I have listed above. If you’d like to browse more computer cases to either better fit your style and/or your taste then you can do so by Clicking Here!

The Intel Core i5-6600k quad-core processor is great not only for this current generation of PC gaming but for a few years down the road as well. It is able to be overclocked hence why I’ve also added the CPU cooler to the list. The 6600k does not come with a stock cooler so you’ll definitely have to use the CPU cooler, be sure to check out videos on YouTube on others that have installed the exact same cooler – it’ll help a lot!

You’ll also be able to execute some of the most demanding processing actions that a computer is capable of such as creating high quality videos with effects, design video games, 3D modeling and much more. The i5-6600 is still a GREAT processor, especially for gaming.

The EVGA GTX 1060 will most likely put you in awe once you see what kind of power that it is capable of as far as displaying textures and models for games go. This card is an amazing card for gaming and you won’t have to upgrade it for at least a few more years so that way you can feel comfortable knowing that you’ll have a top tier system with top tier hardware to keep up with today and tomorrow’s tech demands. 1440p resolution is definitely doable with this card. 😀

With that though, you may want to start with 1080p both for cash flow reasons and because 1080p is still a really good resolution to game on. The 1060 is basically overkill at 1080p meaning that you’re going to max everything out no problem. If you’re in the market for a monitor at that resolution then look no further than this one by Asus.

Remember, the 1060 is a crazy card for 1080p but it makes a lot more sense right now to get it over say a 970. In the future, VR gaming and higher resolution gaming should be on your mind.

Also if you’re in need for a keyboard and mouse combo that is good with a 1080p resolution then Cooler Master’s Devastator combo is going to be exactly what you need.

Feel free to ask me about any other monitors, keyboards and mice in the comments area below. I’d be more than happy to throw my two sense on which ones you’d rather prefer!

Now as far as operating systems – I feel like this is entirely up to you as the builder of your PC. Most people go with Windows 10 right now and it’s a great operating system except the fact that it’s quite the expense.

If you don’t have $100 to throw down on an operating system then you could always go with the free, open-source OS called Ubuntu at least until you can afford Windows and/or just stick with Ubuntu if you end up liking it.

It’s Linux based and is actually pretty easy to use. As far as Steam and it’s games go you’ll have to do some emulating and what not to actually be able to play the games that weren’t meant to be played on a Linux system, like Skyrim for example.

If you grab a legit copy of Windows, however, you’ll be able to customize/personalize your experience with Windows 10 and apparently Microsoft is actively working to make Windows 10 the best gaming operating system yet, but I could probably bet money that Steam’s operating system will most likely bring Windows 10 to shame simply because Steam is amazing and the company behind it has a great vision in mind for it’s future. If they do it right, they could create the best OS yet – SteamOS.

If you’re looking for anything else to add to your build to get more out of your $900 budget then you could also grab a wireless network adapter so that you can easily connect to your internet without having any problems of disconnection. I’ll add a link below here to a great USB network adapter that is also compatible with Windows 10.

I highly recommend going with a direct connection via an ethernet cord but if wireless is all you can go with then you’ll definitely need the wireless adapter.

I’ll also link you to a 64bit version of Windows 10. It’s vital that you grab a 64bit version because the 32bit version will only allow for 4GB of RAM, for some reason.

Check out these links below!

The above links are going to be essential for getting everything working and to get into gaming. Unless you’re only playing single player games – you’ll want to have some sort of a network adapter to connect to the internet. But as I said above, I’d definitely recommend going with a direct connection via an ethernet cord if you’re able to!s

All in all, this is a GREAT build and your inner gamer will be totally satisfied with the kind of power that a gaming PC build for $900 is able to give out.

Are you going to be building this?

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about this build as well!

628 Responses to Gaming PC Build For $900, Top Tier Custom Build 2017

1. Snow says:

Hey, I was wondering if this is a good pc build for a gamer/youtuber?
    ► Case: BitFenix Computer Case Cases BFC-NEO-100-WWWKR-RP White/Red
    ► Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
    ► Processor: AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition
    ► Graphics Card: MSI R7 370 GAMING 4G Graphics Card
    ► HDD: Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB
    ► RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2)
    ►POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500 W1 80+, 500W Continuous Power,

If you were to upgrade something, what would it be + Anything you think I should get (for example fans or processor cooler). I also want to change the case to something else, any suggestions that doesn’t cost a fortune?

2. Andrew says:

ok colton so this is the build im interested in doing, i want to know if these parts are compatible:

video card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 PCiE Graphics Cards GV-N960OC-4GD

Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) UDIMM Memory BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00/ BLS2CP8G3D1609DS1S00

processor: Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K

Motherboard: MSI Intel Z97 LGA 1150 DDR3 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z97 PC Mate)

Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1 80+ BRONZE, 750W Semi Modular 5 Year Warranty Power Supply 110-B1-0750-VR

optical drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

also the case I would use would be:
    DEEPCOOL TESSERACT SW Mid Tower Computer Case with Side Window and 2 Blue LED Fans SGCC+PLASTIC+RUBBER COATING

just let me know and thanks man!

3. Jay says:

Can this run VR headsets like the HTC Vive?

4. Jay says:

Probably wrong place to ask this but I can find it anywhere else, does the version of Windows 7 work very well with all games and VR? I’m thinking of buying the Vive and was just wondering how.

Hey Jay,

It’s hard to know if VR is going to be compatible with 7 because it’s just not all fully out yet.

However, with the above version of Windows 7 you’ll be able to have a free upgrade to Windows 10 which is 100% compatible with the Vive.

5. Jay says:

Thanks Colton for answering all my above questions but I have on more. I was thinking of buying a case that just looks nice and futuristic, the link you made above to other cases, are those all compatible with these parts?

Really depends on what case(s) you’re referring to Jay… feel free to link me some cases you’d like to use in a new comment and I’ll be able to let you know if they’d work or not!

6. Casey Wood says:

Hey Colton!

Could I use this case:
    Or this one:
    With this build?

7. Victor Chiang says:

1. Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator or Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator II?
    2. Phanteks Enthoo Pro M or Phanteks Eclipse P400?

For a keyboard mouse it’s entirely up to you. Both would have good performance for 1080p with the mouse. Keyboard doesn’t really matter so go with which one you like most.

For the case the Enthoo Pro M is the only compatible one. The Eclipse doesn’t have any area for a CD drive.

8. Kui says:

Hey is this comptabile case: https://m.snapdeal.com/product/nzxt-phantom-530-black-atx/1842154538 xan i get your skype i want you to do a custom build for me

Kui,

That link didn’t work for me so I’m unable to see the exact page, but as far as a Phantom 530 like this, it’s compatible.

But are you sure you would want to go with a full tower case? Cases like that are meant for having a bunch of drives and possibly running servers and what not… if you’re not going to have multiple drives then I’d suggest going with a mid tower instead to save yourself some money.

As far as doing the build for you – I don’t do that. Use the video above that I’ve embedded because it’s a great guide and building it yourself is actually easier than what you’d think!

9. Saher says:

1- Hi, I just wanted to know if that i5 in ur build is better or the 6600k is better.

And as for the RAM, Can i replace with DDR4 Rams ? In case I wanted to replace in future, and that will mean I will have to get a DDR4 Motherboard too,

2- So what would you suggest for a DDR4 Mother and RAM that would be compatible with the GTX 970?

3- As for GTX 970, Could you clarify why you picked EVGA ? Most reviews I read people rated MSI and Gigabyte more.

Thank you for your help in advance, I am totally lost in this PC Building thing, New in it.

• Saher says:

Sorry, One more thing.
      A- From i5 to i7 do i need a new MBD ?
      B- And more specifically from i5 4690k to i5 6600k Do I need a different MBD

My point is, I want to know what should I buy to be able to upgrade later without having to buy new MBD with new RAM.

I hope you get what I mean, and Thanks again for your help.

A- Nope, as long as you’re using the right generation of CPU on the right socket of motherboard. For example, if you wanted to start with a i5 4690k and upgrade to the i7 4790k down the road you could do that with the above board since both of those CPUs require the LGA 1150 socket.

B- Now that upgrade wouldn’t work because the i5 6600k requires a LGA 1151 socket motherboard.

Hello Saher,

1- The 6600k is better but more expensive overall since you need a different board as well.

If you wanted to utilize DDR4 then you’d also need a DDR4 motherboard but really, I don’t recommend doing that since the margin in difference for the power in DDR3 and DDR4 RAM really isn’t anything super significant. Makes more sense to have the extra bit of cash for more important parts.

3- My choice is based on price at the time of the update and personal preference. I use an EVGA GTX 970 in my current build and the performance is insane. The difference between them all is only a few frames and the ability to overclock more with some of the other cards. Since I’m all about the budget point, EVGA usually has better priced 970s. You’ll notice a Gigabyte 970 on the $1,000 budget build because the budget point allows for it.

10. Gabe says:

Will this case work if i dont need a CD drive?

I’d go with a different one man… based on the dimensions, it’s too hard to confirm whether or not everything would fit. It seems a bit small.

At this budget point man you can afford to pay a bit more for a higher quality case that’ll for sure be able to fit everything. That case also still has the drive bays for a CD drive so that doesn’t really matter much.

11. Don says:

Are you able to give your thoughts on my potential build:

• Don says:

Also should I go with this motherboard:

Hey there Don,

If you’re planning on upgrading heavily down the road then keep the 750w otherwise it’s a been overkill for the build as is. Other than that, it looks great. Make sure you also pick out a case that is able to fit the Hyper 212 EVO because it’s a pretty big cooler man.

• Don says:

Would 500W be enough ?

If you plan on overclocking sometime down the road with better hardware, years down the road, then you’ll want more than 500W.

Otherwise a 500w PSU would work just fine for the build as is, since you can’t overclock the 6500.

12. Leon says:

Hi! This is a really awesome website; i spent quite a while reading up on it and honestly, it helped a lot. My planned build is fairly similar to this!

I have a few questiosn though. Do you think 2×4 gb of RAM would show a huge difference than 1×8 gb of RAM?

And also, do you think it’s worth to slap on a 250GB SSD? If I stick with the hard drive, is it going to be significantly slower with the OS?

Many thanks!

Hey there Leon,

Glad that you’re digging the site man 🙂

I’ve done a lot of research on 1×8 vs 2×4 and although there is a benefit to having dual channel RAM, it’s only by a tiny slight hair of a difference.

That’s why I share using a single stick of 8GB RAM. It’s inevitable that we’ll need to increase that number down the road so it makes the most sense to have the most room to add more RAM in the future.

And yes, it’s 100% worth adding a SSD! I’d recommend this one, I use the same one but with 500GB with my current build and the difference between the speed of it compared to a HDD is a lot more than I had expected. If you’ve got the room in your budget, you wouldn’t regret adding one for your OS and a few programs/games.

13. Jaydon says:

If i wanted that build but a bit better (about 100 dollars better) what would you upgrade?
    Cheers

Jaydon,

At this budget you may want to wait for the GTX 1070 to come out if you’ve got that extra bit for it, it’s going to be a $380 graphics card but that’d definitely be the ideal upgrade.

If you don’t want to wait then the CPU upgrade listed on the $1,000 build would be ideal.

• Jaydon says:

Two more questions, would the parts be shippable to the UK and if i do upgrade to the 1070 would it still be compattable with everything?

• Jaydon says:

Ignore the first question because i just checked it, the motherboard and the CD drive doesnt ship, any other similar components? thanks

Hey Jaydon,

You’ll want to look in UK Amazon for a Micro ATX or ATX Z97 LGA 1150 motherboard. Z97 boards are the best for being able to overclock CPUs such as the 4690k and it also requires a LGA 1150 socket. Check to see if this board is available for you!

14. Andrew says:

Can you tell me which Blu-Ray drive will work the best with this build? Or which one is good.

15. Abram says:

Hey im not sure if you remember me but unfortunately im having issues with the Pc, the First time i built this pc it has worked great, then i bought this same Pc for my brother but his keeps crashing and restarting every few hours. one keeps showing the most out of all the errors, “memmory management”

The only difference is that i bought him 2 8 Gb ram sticks, and once the errors started to show i took one of them out, ~I turned off my Pc before doing so~ Mind helping me with this problem?

16. Trevor says:

Hey Colton, I was wondering how well this build could run games like Arma, Squad, and Rust?

Expect max settings for the most part Trevor, maybe a few things tweaked for a bit better FPS rating but this build is ideal for max settings at 1080p for most of today’s titles.

17. Trevor says:

Hey Colton, is the Asus gtx 970 better and would it work fine with this build?

18. Max says:

Hey Colton, I’m looking to build a PC at the end of this summer and most likely will be using your site to help me because it’s very detailed. How long do you think all these parts will last into the future? I’m looking at the $900 dollar build specifically. I was also looking into this monitor instead of the ASUS one you recommended: http://amzn.to/1U7uLyB

Hey Max,

If you’re going to be waiting towards the end of this summer then I’d highly suggest waiting to order anything at all. New parts are coming out even at the end of this month and all of the builds are going to change to match with all of the new parts.

As far as that monitor, I wouldn’t recommend it. The Asus monitor would be the better choice because it has a lower response time which is important when it comes to PC gaming man. You don’t want to experience any input lag and since it’s the same price it makes sense.

• Max says:

Okay wow thanks man. So I can expect an update on the parts list around the end of this month? If I get the funds sooner, I wanted to start around the end of June. I’m really anxious to start building! I heard that the AMD RX480 is coming out at the end of this month so that’s when I feel like I should start ordering parts.

Yup, I’ll be updating all of the builds kind of soonish. I think today I’ll simply update the prices and then towards the end of June I’ll actually be changing the parts for some of the builds to accommodate the new parts!

19. Mark says:

I changed the build slightly. Upgraded to an i7-4790 and went down to a 960 gpu. I was wondering if it looks good. Thats the link to the amazon wishlist of it.

Better idea to go with the 970, or a higher powered card… the i5 4690k is an excellent CPU for gaming. The GPU is the more important component and there’s a significant difference between the 960 and the 970!

20. Mark says:

I was also wondering if this case would work:

21. Jonah says:

Hello, are there any cooling fans in this build? I’m also looking to upgrade the i5 to an i7. The same goes for the ram, 8 to 16. Would those two upgrades work? One more question, would the built work without the cd drive? Here is the link to my amazon list: http://amzn.to/237FMDR?
    Are all these parts compatible and would it make for a good gaming pc?

Hey Jonah,

If you wanted to go with that CPU then you’d need a different motherboard, one with a LGA 1151 socket. Also the CPU cooler you plan on getting isn’t needed at all, that CPU will come with a stock Intel cooler that will work just fine!

16GB of RAM is totally doable and you could do the build without a CD drive, but only do that if you know what you’re doing with downloading drivers. If you don’t know what you’re doing then having a CD will streamline the process since almost all of the parts come with a CD with drivers on them! Especially the motherboard drivers, they’re the most important!

22. luckystrike2514 says:

Can it connect to wifi alone?

luckystrike2514,

You’ll need some type of an adapter to connect via wifi. Check the last portion of the post, it’s all about internet connection.

23. luckystrike2514 says:

Thanks I’m getting a pci wireless adapter thingie.

24. Curtis F says:

So i was wondering what difference having a CD drive makes, and if i dont get one, what changes need to be made to the build?

Curtis,

You can definitely go without a CD drive and no other changes would have to be made. The only reason I share using a CD drive is because most people getting into their own build is for their first time and having a CD drive streamlines the process of getting the right drivers installed for the different pieces of hardware.

If you know what you’re doing as far as finding the right drivers online or finding them on another computer and transferring them over to the build via a USB drive then you won’t need the CD drive!

• Curtis F says:

Thank you! I only asked because i was planning on using a usb windows 10 download, so it wont be necessary. By not spending the money on a cd drive, what upgrade on other parts would you recommend in its place?

Well I’d say either saving that money for you or adding in a SSD if you don’t mind spending about $30-$40 extra.

• Curtis F says:

Last question: with the new amd rx 480 out, is a gtx 970 the right choice for a budget build?

Curtis,

If you’re able to find the RX 480 for the right price point then that’d be the better card to go with. From what I’ve seen, right now isn’t a good time to get the new hardware. It seems like it needs to get used to the market or something – honestly I’m not sure why it’s just not listed for the price that they announced it at. It’s very confusing. I’m simply waiting and selling my 970 when the time is right.

25. Adam says:

Hi Colton.

Lately I have been deciding on my first ever gaming PC. I play a ton of new generation games such as csgo, battlefield and blackops, GTA lV and etc. Would you care to let me know if this is a good build. I am not much of a tech guy but I do want an amazing gaming PC that will let me play, edit and record all with great speed/cpu. My max budget is $950

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor
    MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Seagate 1TB 3.5″ 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive
    EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card
    Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case
    EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 64-bit

This was recommended by a friend, thanks and have an awesome day!

• Adam says:

Also help me to max my gaming PC if its possible, the parts may not be the best but it was recommended from a friend. So if you can make it better please help me out. Hoping to get my gaming PC this summer. Thanks in advance!

Hi Adam,

To be blunt – your friend doesn’t really know what to do.

You definitely don’t want to be using the 750 Ti with this type of budget point. You should definitely go with what’s above – if it surpasses your budget point then let me know and I’ll make some adjustments for you!

The above build is much, much better than what your friend recommends there.

• Adam says:

Hey thanks for the speedy reply! Is the build above you created the best I can get for $950? Let me know If i can get better parts and I can go ahead with the purchase. If not, then I will most likely go with your build. I want to get a gaming PC that will last me a couple amount of years. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks

I don’t see there being many changes – if any – when I go to update the builds in the coming days. New hardware (GTX 1070/RX 480) was supposed to already be out by now and they would be better choices for the money but right now they’re too expensive to justify getting them.

The above specs are extremely solid and you’ll be good to go for a long while. I suppose there’s an upgrade to the newer i5’s that I could look into adding when I update the builds in the next couple of days but I know that it’d make the build overall a bit more expensive…

Up to you man, I’ll be updating the builds within the next couple of days and I’m not 100% sure if I’ll be making changes to this one or not. If I were to make changes though, it’s not like you’d be missing out on super significant performance.

26. Adammc says:

Hey Colton! Would this PC be able to stream CS:GO on twitch ?

For sure Adammc, it totally surpasses the requirements for CS:GO. Keep in mind though that streaming more so heavily depends on your internet connection rather than your hardware.

27. kevin dufoort says:

Hello i realised that the
    “MSI ATX DDR3 2400 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97”

Does not ship to Belgium/europe do you have any other recommended motherboard in same price range that do ship to the EU?

Thanks 🙂

28. Adammc says:

Btw I plan on playing csgo on low settings anyway for the highest possible fps

There won’t be any need, you’ll get high FPS even on max. As I said, this build totally surpasses the recommended requirements. You’ll be able to stream with higher settings and still get good FPS.

29. kevin dufoort says:

Is this a good replacement:
    (MSI Intel H97 LGA 1150 DDR3 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (H97 PC Mate)

For the: (MSI Intel Z97 LGA 1150 DDR3 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z97 PC Mate)

Thank you!!

Hey there Kevin,

No, it’s better to go with the Z97 board. It has better capabilities for overclocking whenever you deem it necessary to do it.

30. kevin dufoort says:

Also when i buy the CPU: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-BX80646I54690K/dp/B00KPRWB9G?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KPRWB9G&linkCode=as2&linkId=F2P4R4JWNADTEFDC&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=pcbuonabu-20

Does it have a standard Fan because it says there is also like a option with Fan so i’m confused does the $235,99 come with a fan or do i need to buy the: $265,48 one?

31. savANT says:

hi colton. this is probably not the right place to ask this 🙂 but I found a Intel Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core Skylake Processor, with the Gigabyte Ultra Durable LGA 1151 Intel Z170 ATX Motherboard for 400. Is that a good price/how much do you think I would have to spend to complete this?

Hey savANT,

Do you have a link to the exact motherboard that you are wanting to get? It sounds like it’s a great deal but I’d be able to tell even better if I saw the actual board.

32. Adammc says:

Hey Colton ! Me again, I was wondering if this Case would be suitable for this build ?

33. John says:

Hi, I am planning on buying this PC over the long weekend. It looks like a pretty amazing build. My only concern is if I need any extras, such as SATA cables, or do the extras come with the parts.

Thanks,
    John

34. Joey says:

Hey Colton! I just bought all the parts for this PC build however I skipped out on the Hard Drive. I have a 1TB hard drive on my 2012 Acer Aspire X3, would that be okay to use?

If it connects the same way as any other traditional hard drive and doesn’t have any proprietary uses on that specific PC then I assume it’d work.

35. Joey says:

Thanks for the reply man, another question Nvidia just revealed the 1060 for around $250. Would this be compatible and okay to get instead of the 970?I just got the 970 but id return it considering I heard the 1060 is 2x superior. Thanks brotha

Joey,

Yes – it’d make sense to have that card instead but so far none of the new hardware is at a good price and it doesn’t seem like the market is going to get to that point for a good while yet. I wrote about it in a post here.

When the prices are right with the new hardware then it’ll make a lot more sense to be looking into using them for a build. Otherwise I’d have those parts listed here for sure!

36. Zak says:

I’m interested in buying these parts and want to have an upgrade plan for the future. Could I eventually switch the 970 with a 1070?

37. Adolfo says:

Hey Colton
    I’m completely new to PC, so I have no idea what all this means but I plan on doing a lot of research and I was wondering if this $900 PC would be good to play Battlefield 1 and other FPS games?

Hey Adolfo,

Awesome to hear that you’re going to be building your own to get into the industry, that’s the best decision 🙂

This build is going to be able to run all upcoming games for sure, anything you could really think of – this build is going to be capable of it. The above video is really all that you’re going to need to use as a resource when putting the build together, all of the parts listed above is all you’d need for the build itself. Then you’ll also need a monitor, keyboard/mouse, an operating system and a way of connecting to the internet.

I’m all ears here so let me know if I can help you any more as you move forward with your build!

38. J says:

Just building this right now and the motherboard light turns Green, however nothing else is powering on such as fans etc. I have the 24 pin connected also the 8 pin any help or ideas?

39. Adammc says:

Hey Colton, I was wondering if it would be okay to use this card instead ? I don’t have 300 plus pounds to spend on a card, and i like the aesthetics of this card too.

40. Andrew says:

Should I get an aftermarket cooler with this build? I want my pc to stay at a moderate or low temperature when playing intensive games. 😀

Andrew,

There’s no need for an aftermarket cooler since the above cooler won’t be able to be overclocked. The stock cooler is going to do just fine keeping it cool!

41. Adammc says:

Hey Colton, would this motherboard be a good one to use for this build ? Thanks

42. Adammc says:

Hey Colton, the power supply listed above is unavailable where I live, could you recommend me another power supply ? Thanks

Sure thing, I’d also recommend this one from EVGA! EVAG power supplies are awesome.

EDIT: Hey, I also want you to know that I just updated some parts for this build. If you’ve already started buying the motherboard and RAM then no worries, I just switched it out for something a bit different. The old mobo and RAM would still be compatible.

• Adammc says:

Thanks man ! I haven’t begun buying parts yet, probably won’t start untill around early December, I just like staying up to date with this build .

43. Adammc says:

Hey Colton, I was wondering if you could recommend me any motherboards for around 100-150 dollars ? I got a little extra cash to splash on one. Thanks !

44. JC says:

Would I be able to switch the 970 to a 1070 without changing anything else? Thanks!

45. Turner Moon says:

Hey Colton, I’m trying to put together a pc loosely based on your builds but Id like your input before I make a final decision. How does this look?

46. Shaher says:

Hey colton, i was wondering , i am getting a 240gb ssd instead of 120, and a 2tb instead of 1tb, and also an intel core i5 6600k for future OC, will the PSU be able to support all of this still and evenfuture Overclocking? And one more question, i have a rosewill redbone, ATX mid tower that I have not even used , so will that be able to fit all these parts in there or no?

47. Shaher says:

Colton one more question, i really want a case with a side window panel, do you know any cheap cases with a side panel that fits this

48. Shaher says:

Hey colton, I decided to use the caseyou have in your 1500$build and instead of the gpu in this build i decided to use the one in the 1000$ build. Will all thag still be compatible? And will the psu still hold up?

49. Shaher says:

Will the motherboard in your 1000$ setup work in this one? Im talking about the Z97 blue colored one

50. Trevor says:

I was wondering if I need to buy any fans for this build or if it comes with the fans? If I do need to buy the fans which fans would you recommend and how many?