Good PC Build Under $800, The Best Custom PC For Next Gen

You may be wondering what the best steps would be towards getting a good PC build for under $800. Any custom PC within the $600-$800 range is going to be a beast of a system and trust me when I say that you would never regret the day you decided to build a custom PC within this budget range.

$800 Is A Great Way To Go For A Gaming Rig

If you have never built a PC before then it may sound like something that would be to complicated to get done.

Through personal experience I can tell you that it’s really not that hard at all even though the thought of it might intimidate you. When I first got interested in building custom computers on whatever budget I desired I always thought that I would never be able to actually build a PC.

One day I said screw it and grabbed all of my parts to build the gaming computer of my dreams.

When I went to go build my first computer I followed a simple step-by-step video by Newegg and everything went just fine. I have added the video to this post so if you’d like you can bookmark this post and come back to it whenever you go to build your computer that way you can be ensured that you have an awesome result!

If you’re new to the whole custom computer scene then I’d highly suggest going through the first half of this video before you go and try to build your computer.

Sure it’s a lengthy video but the content is right on point and the instructions are extremely easy to follow. When you actually order your parts and go to build your computer then be sure to follow this video as you go to build your computer. This way you won’t miss a step and you’ll be able to build it like a pro!

Also, once you get this process down you can then build computers for friends/relatives and maybe even have them give you a small charge for the work you do. ūüėČ

After building about 8 computers for various friends/family I am now able to build a computer around a hours worth of time. Personally, I think the process is fun and easy so why not develop a new skill right? ūüôā

With all that being said, let’s go over which parts are going to be optimal within this budget range.

Last Updated: February 23rd, 2017

case¬†Case –¬†Corsair SPEC-01

Processor –¬†Intel Core i5-7500

¬†Motherboard –¬†ASUS PRIME Z270-P LGA115 M.2 ATX Motherboard

gpu¬†Video Card –¬†PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

ram¬†RAM –¬†Crucial 8GB DDR4 Single

Power Supply –¬†EVGA 700 B1 80+ Bronze 700W

Hard Drive –¬†Seagate 1TB

cdCD Drive –¬†Asus 24x DVD-RW

Final Price: $799.04

This build is AMAZING. ūüėÄ

Seriously, the combination of the i5 and this graphics card¬†really packs a powerful punch and you’ll be set for years to come.

If you’re looking to have a build that can stand the test of time and give you a gaming experience like you’ve never experienced before then this is the build for you.

The Core i5-7500 offers 4 physical cores that can go up to¬†up to 3.6GHz and 6MB of L3 Cache. This processor can not be overclocked¬†but it leaves plenty of room for an upgrade path down the road. Though to be honest, with the amount of power that it provides, you won’t be needing a CPU upgrade for a long while.

I understand that going with a CPU that can overclock¬†may be just a tad bit over the $800 budget but being able to overclock down the road when games require it will ensure that you’ll be ready to keep playing your favorite games on higher levels of graphic settings.

Sure, the above CPU is going to be able to handle everything that’s coming but if you’re looking for an absolute powerhouse then you may want to consider going that route.

This will be very easy to do once you install the drivers for your motherboard after building your PC, you’ll also want to make sure that the cooler is something that’d be able to handle a heavy overclock. Also be sure to check out YouTube tutorials over it!

The case is your choice. The case that I have listed above will fit the video card and it is the USB 3.0 option. If you want a different looking case then you can go ahead and browse some cool ones by Clicking Here.

The previous build update had included a solid state drive but I had to remove it to be able to stay within the budget range. If the market allows it down the road I’ll add it back in but it’s not an essential part anyway.

If you are¬†in need of a keyboard and mouse for your build then you should check out¬†the review that I did on a great keyboard/mouse combo for a lower price! It doesn’t break the bank and¬†it still gets the job done.

The video card will put you in awe with the amount of power it holds. You can feel very comfortable if you’re planning on playing at a 2560 x 1440 resolution with the graphics settings set to high with this card. ūüôā

Down the road when 4K monitors become the norm then I would maybe suggest a GPU¬†upgrade but this graphics card is going to give you power for years to come. This card performs about 200% better than today’s consoles. ūüėČ With that though, there is a card that you should get once it’s at the right price point. That would be the GTX 1070/1080¬†– it’d be the better pick to go with for the future.

The reason why I don’t have it listed today is because it’s not available at the right price yet. Once it is though, this build will definitely have it listed. Years down the road it’ll make more sense to add parts like that to a build at this budget point.

As for a monitor, as I said, you’re not going to want to go with something like 4K for a while. However, this build would perform very well at a 1080p resolution so you should definitely get a monitor that delivers on that res.

71r1E7x7PlL._SL1500_MonitorAsus VS228SH

Be sure to go with 700+ watts of power with this build. If you ever feel like upgrading down the road whether it’s the GPU or CPU then you’re also going to want to increase the amount of power you can give to the whole computer. The 500W power supply that I have listed above is one of the most trusted and most protected brands in power supplies so you for sure won’t have to worry about having any power issues with this build!

Choosing an operating system is going to be up to you to decide.

There are many ways of acquiring Windows but actually purchasing a real copy will ensure the highest quality experience with your OS.

I recommend getting Windows 10 since it’s the most compatible when you’ve got your build strictly with gaming in mind. It’s a mixture of the Windows 7 start menu¬†ease combined with¬†the modern feel and look of Windows 8. They got rid¬†of Internet Explorer (FINALLY. Lol.) and replaced¬†it with some new browser they created called Edge. I’d recommend a different browser still, but it’s good to know that they are wanting to trash out their outdated web browser.

Now if you can’t afford to purchase a Windows operating system for about $90 more just know that I completely understand that. Some work arounds would be to throw a free, Linux based operating system like Ubuntu on your build. Ubuntu is an open-source and free operating system that works great for every day use. The only down side to having a Linux based operating system is that not every game out there is compatible with Linux.

There are some 3rd party programs that are out that help with this issue but it’s still kind of an annoying problem. If you don’t mind trying to problem solve and emulate games then you’d be able to use Linux just fine but it’s still a pain to have such a little problem.

That’s why Steam is making their own operating system called SteamOS. Valve wants to base it off of Linux and have it be compatible with every Steam game in existence. I’m pretty excited about that! ūüėÄ But if you still want to go with Windows then I would suggest throwing Linux on your computer temporarily¬†until you have saved enough money to grab a Windows disk. Then you could either dual boot both operating systems or switch entirely over to Windows. You also have the choice of trying to get a copy of Windows through pirating but I don’t suggest that you do that.

Reason being is because it’s illegal and your operating system won’t run 100% perfect by trying to throw a cracked copy of it on a brand new computer. It’s best to just wait and save up for it and have a legit copy that way you can know that everything is going to

Also, if you need a way to connect to internet then I highly recommend picking up a broadband¬†wireless network adapter. It plugs right into a USB slot and it’ll give you the most reliable connection. I’ve included links to both a 64bit version of Windows 10 and a good USB network adapter that is also compatible with Windows 10.

windows 10 64bit¬†Windows 10 64bit –¬†Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit

81CsUmlJ+iL._SL1500_¬†USB Wireless Network Adapter –¬†Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter

One thing that you need to be certain of is grabbing a 64bit version of Windows because if you don’t then you won’t be able to use all 8GB of your RAM, and that is extremely important to have especially as we move forward with how the PC gaming industry is growing.

There you have it, this is how you can get a good PC build under for $800.

So what do you guys think? Are you going to be grabbing this build?

Let me know in the comments below and if you have any questions feel free to ask away! ūüôā

487 Responses to Good PC Build Under $800, The Best Custom PC For Next Gen

1. Douglas says:

Do you think i could use the MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G card instead of the one listed?

Hey there Douglas,

You’re referring to this exact card – right?

If so then yes, you’d be able to use it! It’ll fit in the above case.

• Douglas says:

Yeah I was referring to it. Thanks for your help

No problem man, let me know if I can help more as you move forward with your build!

• Douglas says:

Alright I have just saved up just enough to get the pc itself right about now and im wondering. Why the 750W psu? Why not just get a 500w Psu?

You totally could if you wanted to Douglas, the 750W supply was for an overclockable CPU that I had listed before hand. It still fits within the budget range just right so I figured I might as well keep it there. Future proofs any future upgrades for sure.

500W will be enough for the system as is, down the road though more power would be needed if using an upgraded CPU and overclocking and/or a much higher level graphics card.

2. Noah Sheehan says:

Will this run ark on high settings?

For sure Noah! It meets the requirements to do that.

• Brandon Green says:

Hi, im debating whether or not I should save up for this 800 dollar build or buy my friends computer for 600 dollars. These are the specs for my friends computer
        CPU: AMD FX-8350
        GPU-AMD RADEON HD 7850 2gb

thanks in advance, this would be my first desktop BTW

Hi Brandon,

Going for the $600 build on the site would be more powerful and better going forward than your friend’s computer as is. I’d say to either go with that or to save up for this $800 build if you’re wanting something a bit more higher end.

Your friend’s computer isn’t worth $600 in my opinion. That might’ve been how much he paid at the time he/she did the build.

• Brandon Green says:

Hi thanks for replying, I’ve decided to save up for this 800 dollar build. With this GPU will I be able to get good graphics on games such as Total war atilla? And also is there anything else I should know while saving up for this build?

For sure man. It really is a great card when thinking about 1080p gaming!

If you have any other questions while saving up feel free to ask away, not a whole lot else I can think of besides just needing to make sure you’ve got enough for an OS and what not included.

• Brandon Green says:

Thanks I appreciate your help and I will definitely come back if I have anymore questions.

• Brandon Green says:

Hey to play games at 1080p, your resolution has to be at 1980×1080 right? Thanks

That’s correct! You’ll be able to change your resolution to whatever within a game’s video settings.

3. Random User Generated says:

what cheap liquid cooler goes well with this build

4. Josh says:

Is there a good substitute case to the one listed that has a Ethernet plug?

Josh,

The ethernet port is actually on the motherboard so the case has nothing to do with an ethernet port.

There are plenty of other cases that would also work with the build, I’d suggest taking a look at mid tower cases on Amazon and once you find one that you think you’d like to use then link it to me in a new comment and I’ll let you know if it’d work or not!

5. Sam says:

How much fps would i get on ultra settings on a 1080 on recent titles, fallout 4, doom, etc.

I’d expect around 60 FPS with titles like that for the most part Sam, it’ll be different for every game but overall the build will be able to get it done!

6. Goofy says:

Can i switch the HDD for a SSD or maybe even a hybrid? if so can you recommend me one while keeping 1TB

7. Mark A says:

NewB. Why is there a HDD and a SDD as part of this build? Do you need both or are these supposed to be an option for us?

Hi Mark,

One or the other is essential, I simply added in both because they both fit within the budget range. If you’d rather only use the HDD or only use the SSD then you’ll be good to go!

8. Noel says:

This is an awesome build. I was just wondering which 1060 brand you would prefer. I saw other brands like Gigabyte and Evga that were cheaper, but Im not sure if they there is any difference between them.

Also, I live in CA and it gets to 100¬į out here. Would the stock fans be enough not to overheat the system?

This is my first time building a pc. I just realized that purchasing a laptop is such a waste

Hey Noel,

Personally I’m not really huge into which brand is better. The difference is very little when comparing them so I usually go with what I know works well quality wise and the lowest price hence the PNY pick above. If I had to pick which I prefer it’d be EVGA but that’s only because I use an EVGA brand graphics card in my current build.

I wouldn’t really worry about it since it’s an Intel stock fan and they actually get the job done pretty well. If it were an AMD stock fan then it’d be best to make sure that the room you had the PC in wasn’t really warm.

Be sure to go through the above video before and during the actual process of putting everything together, it’s going to help out a lot! And you’re totally right, if you’re looking for high quality gaming for a good price point then a laptop is a no go.

9. Franky says:

Can I emulate this exact build, however doubling up on RAM to 16GB and swapping out for a higher end i7?

10. MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 DirectX 12 VR Ready (GeForce GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G). Will this fit the build? I also want to include some other stuff, like an i7-6000K Processor, and I play CS:GO competitively. I want to be able to play games like Skyrim and fallout 4 on ultra settings, but staying within the 800 dollar price range(I know it sounds unreal). Could you suggest a build for me? I can go up to 900 as well. If not, could you redirect me to another site?
    Here are the links to the parts I want. Could you let me know if these are compatible with each other?
    I also need help finding a good power supply, hard drive, ssd, and i dont really need a video card. I also might want to get this motherboard:
    If you reply, thank you so much for your help.

Hello,

Yes, everything listed there would work well together! The motherboard you were looking at from MicroCenter would not be compatible with the CPU though. Also make sure that you get an aftermarket CPU cooler if you’re going with the 6700k because it doesn’t come with a stock cooler. I would suggest something along the lines of the CRYORIG M9i since I know it’d fit in the case and it does a really good job when you think about overclocking.

11. Andrew Becker says:

Are you planning on changing this build soon I’ve noticed it’s now a ways over 800 dollars

12. Michael says:

I will be using this computer alot this will not be over heating right

13. Andrew says:

On Amazon, there is an overclocked version of this same graphics card for only $1 more. Is this worth getting?

14. Andrew says:

Also, for entirely aesthetic reasons, there is the same case with a window. It does show different dimensions; will this work? http://amzn.to/2hKiCRK

For sure it’d work man! Keep in mind though that the SPEC-01 also has a side window, it just isn’t shown very well in the picture on Amazon. Look it up on YouTube if you’d want a look at what the windows actually looks like!

15. Matthew Anderson says:

I’m replicating this build almost exactly but with some upgrades I got from your responses in the comments, Colton. However, I would like to be able to stream games as well and not have any problems. I Mostly play CSGO, Overwatch, and Rocket League, but I don’t want to hold myself back. Would an i7 be worth the upgrade? Any and all tips are appreciated!

Streaming mainly depends on how well of an internet connection you have. I’m confident that these specs will be able to stream gameplay in games like that just fine. Maybe with a few graphical tweaks to get a higher frame rate but even then, the quality will be there for sure.

An i7 would be worth upgrading to if you planned on doing heavy editing/rendering tasks. If not then the gaming performance difference isn’t really all that significant to justify the upgrade.

16. Austin A says:

What other motherboard would you recommend for this build, the one listed is currently out of stock, and I am in a bit of a time crunch.

17. Diomedes Dgo says:

Will a build like this be able to run The Divison or GTA V on high settings?

18. Tim says:

I have a video camera and Samsung monitor capable of 4k resolution (3840×2160). Not terribly into gaming but might get there. Think I’d like to build a desktop that would handle the monitor. Which build would you recommend without over-spending?

Hey Tim,

You’d be able to go a bit cheaper if all you’d want to do is use the monitor for the 4K resolution. For gaming at that resolution, and a higher quality experience to go with, you’d have to spend quite the pretty penny – especially when looking at AAA games.

The above build would for sure be able to display your desktop at 4K and you’d be better off lowering the resolution to 1440p/1080p when looking at gaming on the higher demanding games. For lower demanding games that have the compatibility for it, 4K would work!

19. Tim says:

Going with this build! Thanks for your help and awesome site!

20. Wolfee21 says:

Would I be able to get everything but instead of the i5 use an amd fx 8350, It runsfaster, Can be overclocked, and it’s WAYYYYY cheaper.

Hey Wolfee21,

I wouldn’t say that the FX-8350 is a faster processor since we’re focused on gaming with these builds. Now if you’re thinking in terms of rendering speeds and what not then yes, the FX-8350 would be the better pick.

If you’d rather use that then you’d also have to change the motherboard for something that’s compatible, let me know if you need a recommendation!

21. Luke says:

Do I really need Windows 10 for the next gen games, cause I’d rather go with what I know, Windows 7?

Luke,

I’d highly recommend going with Windows 10. Windows 7 will soon not be supported and when that time comes gaming will be kind of hard to be at an optimal state on 7. I felt the same way at first man but Windows 10 really actually isn’t all that bad. It’s a mixture of 8 and 7 without all of the weird touchscreen UI stuff that 8 had.

• Luke says:

Ok, cool. Thanks man. The only reason I asked was because I’m about $300 away from a $800 desktop, and my brother bought windows 7 to do dual platform on his MacBook. I’ll just need about another hundred more then.

Thanks again.

22. Willy says:

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a cheaper motherboard that would work with this build and a different RAM.

Hello Willy,

The reasoning behind using the above Asus board is so that it can use future CPU upgrades that allow for overclocking. If you aren’t looking to do that far down the road then you could go with something cheaper like this board from Gigabyte – it’ll definitely get the job done.

If you’re looking for something even cheaper just let me know, keep in mind that means that the board will be a lot smaller making it a bit more difficult to work with but still doable! Many builds use a micro-ATX board.

23. Nigel says:

Hey colton,

I noticed you change the motherboard from this one:

to the one above.

Are there any notable differences?

Hey Nigel,

Well besides a different interface and it being from Asus, both still have practically the same features you’d need going forward. At the time, I made the change for pricing reasons.

I’d say to go for the one you like best whether it be for the brand or for the look. I personally dig Asus boards better!

24. Tony says:

Hi Colton, would the corsair vengeance LPX 8gb ddr4 ram work for this build? Also would the case from your 700$ PC build work for these parts? Thanks.

25. Doc says:

I don’t know a HUGE amount about PCs but I am thinking after this build (the $800 mark) is when you are going to start seeing diminishing marginal returns for the dollars you put in. Would you say that is accurate or possibly even around the $700 price point?

Doc

Hey Doc,

I’d say yes to both. The RX 480 and the GTX 1060 are pretty close in performance with the nVidia side having more optimal performance and faster drivers for most games.

Right at those budget points is where you really start getting into the high-end performance, most bang for your buck for sure.

26. Westley Elam says:

Hello I’m looking to build my first pc and this guide was very helpful. I just have a few questions.
    First question is, what about speakers? I’m assuming I can use any pc speakers. Maybe if it isn’t any trouble maybe you could recommend me some?

• Westley Elam says:

Also I saw above another guy mentioned this http://amzn.to/2gEOUll over the one you listed. Would this be better? What are your thoughts on it?

It’s a bit overclocked meaning that it’s going to have slightly better performance, yes. It’s not going to be a super crazy, significant difference but it will indeed have a slight performance boost due to the overclock. Up to you if you’re wanting something pre-overclocked and if you’re interested in overclocking in the first place as that card is more suited for that!

Hey there Westley, glad that you’re digging the site!

Yup – you’ll be able to use whatever speakers either via the audio jack on the motherboard or USB speakers. Personally, I use these speakers from Creative and they have amazing sound, comes with a small bass speaker that is just enough for me to be immersed and the price is really good for what it provides.

27. Shinekips says:

Would i be able to have a dual monitor with this build?

28. TheBlackPhoenix64 says:

Hi, I’m looking for a build that would be good enough for gaming while recording (webcam/screen with mic/desktop audio) at 1080p. I would probably use either the Camtasia Studio recorder or OBS Studio to record. So, I have a couple questions:
    1. Could this build be built with the 7200rpm HDD AND a Solid State Drive? Or maybe 3 HDDs (anything with a good write speed so the recording doesn’t lag).
    2. Would the games take a performance hit or would it run at around 60fps without lag?

Hi TheBlackPhoenix64,

This build would suffice for that. If you’re also thinking in terms of streaming video content you should know that mostly depends on how solid your internet connection is rather than how beefy the PC is.

1. Yes, you could add in a SSD and I’d recommend doing so since it’d make your overall experience smoother. I’d recommend something like this one from PNY since it’s at a good price point and performs well!

2. No. For some titles you may have to mess around with some of the graphics settings just to make sure that you’re able to get a smooth frame rate, which will be different for each game’s optimization but for the most part you’ll be good to go.

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build, I’m all ears!

29. So I am building my PC for the first time, and sadly I am a bit short on money currently. I am wondering how well the Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz do with this build?
    Not sure if this link will work, but this is my part list.

Hey BaraLovesCats,

I mean, it’d work. But if you’re wanting to spend that much, a bit over $600, then just go for the $600 build listed on the site here.

Reason being is because it’ll come with an i3-6100 (better than that CPU, newest generation), a graphics card that’s better than what you’ve got there and there’d also be no need for a CPU cooler since it’ll come with one. The stock Intel cooler is more than enough for a CPU that you’re not going to be overclocking!

Let me know what you decide to do, it’ll be best to move forward with parts that give you the most power per dollar spent!

• BaraLovesCats says:

Well the issue is I have already purchased the motherboard on my list (as well as a few other items). Now I need a decently priced CPU and I cannot find the one you have suggested on PartPicker, so I am still unsure as to whether or not it is compatible.
        Your help is much appreciated.

Gotcha.

Then yes, you could go with that CPU… though I would suggest trying to go with an i5 in that generation of processors if you’re able to maybe save up for it.

But with the graphics card, you’re still better off going with what’s listed on the $600 build that I linked to you in the other comment. It’s going to be cheaper if not around the same price and it’s much better and compatible!

Here for whatever else!

30. Zachary B. says:

If i were buying off of amazon for this build, would i need to get any extra wiring? Or is it all there

31. Michael says:

Hi Colton, what do you think about these cases? Would they work with the build and would the ssd you recommended physically fit?

NZXT S340 Mid Tower

MasterBox 5 Mid-tower

Hi Michael,

Both cases would work while also adding in the SSD but you’ll have to exclude the above CD drive.

If you know what you’re doing when it comes to downloading the right drivers online or if you’re okay with using an external CD drive then you’d be good to go!

32. David R says:

I’m going to be doing my first pc build ever with this guide.

Looking at the parts list I noticed that there is not a cooling mechanism for the CPU. Is this because the CPU you listed comes with one or would I need to buy that as well.

Also, I found a different case but I’m not quite sure if it is compatible. And if you don’t mind could you give me your opinion on the brand as well? http://amzn.to/2kjyU8A

Last question. I currently have Windows 10 9n my current PC. I have the product key as well. Would I need to buy a new copy of Windows 10 or can I simply use the same product key when I get my new PC.

Thank you for your time Colton as it is greatly appreciated.

Hey David, awesome!

Yes, the above CPU comes with a stock Intel CPU cooler.

The Thermaltake Versa N21 supports video cards up to 360mm long, but video cards over 250mm may block drive bays. Since the PNY GeForce GTX 1060 video card is 265mm long, some drive bays may not be usable. Probably only one drive so unless you plan on having multiple drives, it won’t be an issue.

Windows is usually one copy per customer… If the hard drive is the same as a traditional hard drive then you’d be able to use it with the new build. Otherwise you’ll have to have a fresh copy/key.

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build! You’re welcome for the help!

33. Jesse Wright says:

I was looking at this build for my first pc. I would be interested in a ssd as well as maybe an i7, but not considering over clocking immediately, maybe down the road. I basically want to stay away from liquid cooling until later. Could you recommend a ssd and an i7 with this build? Or maybe a hybrid sshd with at least 1tb of storage? Going to be using for gaming at high resolution, possibly 4k as it phases in and streaming editing uploading etc. Thanks!

Hey there Jesse,

If you want to game at 4K resolution then a better upgrade would be for a better graphics card instead of going for an i7. Sure, the i7 is definitely more ideal in terms of editing, rendering etc but if you really want a 4K gaming experience then you’ll need more graphics power more importantly. The i5 is going to be able to handle 4K and it’ll still handle editing and what not, just at a somewhat slower speed in comparison.

As far as a SSD, I’d recommend these ones from SanDisk since they perform well and they’re available at a good price range right now. For a hybrid drive I’d recommend this one from Seagate personally.

34. Tony says:

Hi Colton, I was just looking around on Craigslist and I came across this processor for 70$ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-i7-920-Bloomfield-Quad-Processor/dp/B001H5T7LK condition says like new and it’s a great deal. Would it work with these parts? If not, what would I need to change around or get instead?

• Tony says:

These are the specs if it doesn’t say on the amazon page
      CPU/Processor Frequency: 2.66 GHz
      Intel Smart Cache: 8MB L3 Cache
      Intel Turbo Boost Technology: Single-core performance up to 2.93 GHz (If Over Clocked)
      Number of True Cores: 6
      Processor Integrated Memory Controller: Yes
      Number of Memory Channels: 3 (DDR3 1066 MHz)
      Socket: LGA1366

It wouldn’t be entirely worth changing the parts to get that processor in my opinion. I personally wouldn’t bet on a Craigslist part but I suppose it’d be worth checking out.

You’ll need a motherboard with a LGA 1366 socket and this is the reason why I wouldn’t recommend it. You won’t have much if any upgrade paths down the road. You’d be stuck with that processor for the long term and for the future that wouldn’t be the best move.

35. David R says:

Recently the motherboard you have linked has sky rocketed in price. It is now about $50 more than what it was. There is also only 1 left in stock. Because of this I have been in search for a different motherboard. Since this is my first build I don’t really know if the one I have found is compatible or not. It has the 1151 socket that the CPU needs. It has DDR4 and has 2133 MHz for the ram. I’m not quite sure if there is anything else that needs to be checked so if you could please help me out here is the link.

MSI Gaming Intel Skylake B150 LGA 1151:

If this motherboard does not work it would be awesome if you could link me one that does.

Hey there David,

The price may has gone back down, worth checking out!

With that, the motherboard that you’ve linked would also work well. Everything would be compatible with each other!

36. Othaniel says:

Will this build work for the Sims 4 and all their expansion packs? I finally saved $1K and am excited to build my first P.C. I know nothing….Help and thanks in advance ūüôā

Othaniel,

For sure! This build would run Sims 4 + expansions flawlessly! Let me know if you have any other questions going forward with the build, I’m all ears ūüôā

37. Sam says:

I’m new to building PC’s, this would be my first if I were to order these parts, but instead of the Crucial 8gb for RAM could I use the Kingston HyperX Fury instead? Is it compatible with the other parts?

38. Muneeb says:

Can I put the Crucial MX300 CT275MX300SSD1 275GB Internal Solid State Hard Drive in this build

39. Josh says:

Hi Cotton, I was looking at Windows 10 on an amazon page and noticed that 30% of all reviews were 1 star. Should I be concerned about purchasing this way? Thanks, J

Hi there Josh,

Amazon has the best customer support. If you had a problem with your CD key then you’d be able to get a refund or a replacement key pretty quickly! I’ve purchased my copies of Windows from Amazon with no issues.

40. Steve says:

Would there be any problems using the 7th gen intel i5 with the motherboard in this build?

41. Shinekips says:

Would I be able to use my hard drive from my old pc?

If it’s a traditional hard drive and it’s from a desktop PC Shinekips then yes you should be able to! Though I’d recommend doing a new hard drive and a new OS install as always since it seems to be the best way to go with a new build, you never know if things aren’t as compatible as they seem.

42. Uber says:

Can you tell me the advantages of an expensive mobo. And wouldn’t the prime version of this mobo be better

Hey Uber,

The motherboard is the least important part of the PC in terms of gaming performance. Unless you’re wanting extra features, more bells and whistles for adding other adapters and what not then having a more expensive motherboard really doesn’t have that much benefit in terms of gaming. With that, I’ve updated the above board to a Prime Z270 board, check it out!