Best $400 Dollar Gaming PC Build, An Optimal Budget Build For 2018

If you’re looking for the best bang for your buck on a $400 dollar gaming pc build then you should definitely check this build out. This build is the most optimal when it comes to building a PC on a tight budget.

Next-gen PC gaming is going to take quite a bit of GPU and CPU power to run for the long term. Although you’d get much more future proof power out of a $500 build, this build will do just fine for some of the games coming out this year. Just don’t expect to be able to run them on the higher graphics settings.

$400 Dollar Gaming PC Build

Best Build For A Tight Budget

This build is actually very similar to my past build as far as power goes. I was able to run games such as Skyrim on the highest graphic settings and Elder Scrolls Online on medium settings. If you’re looking for a PC build to get your feet wet in the PC gaming industry then this is definitely the build for you. This build is 100% upgradeable so you don’t really need to worry about compatibility issues when it comes to upgrading down the road.

You probably won’t need to upgrade until we get close to the middle of 2018, if you’re at all interested in VR then you’ll definitely need to upgrade if you’re wanting to run some of the high-end games with VR.

There are also games that don’t need a bunch of power to run but I’m assuming that you’ll need to upgrade in order to run a game like Skyrim with virtual reality. Though this is just a guess, we’ll know for sure once it actually comes out.

If you’ve never actually built a computer before then you’re going to have to do a little research. I have included a video below by NeweggTV, it’s the same video that I went through step by step when I went to build my first gaming PC. It’s very detailed and you should be able to know exactly how it all comes together after you watch it and during the actual building process.

Be sure to go through the video while you wait for your parts to come in the mail and be sure to watch it as you actually build it. It’s good to have a visual of what it is you’re doing when you’re actually going through the process of bringing your PC to life!

With that, let’s get to the build.

Last Updated: October 11th, 2018

* = Optional, read below. Final price includes optional part.

Case – Rosewill Micro ATX Mini Tower FBM-05

Motherboard  – MSI B250M PRO-VDH

Processor – Intel Pentium G4560

Video Card – EVGA GAMING GeForce GTX 1050 2GB

RAM – Corsair 8GB Single DDR4

Hard DriveWestern Digital 500GB

Power supply – EVGA 400W N1

cd * CD Drive (Optional) – Asus 24x DVD-RW

Final Price: $445.89 (Higher price due to overpriced RAM/GPU)

This build is pretty well put together and you’re going to LOVE this build once you bring it to life! 😀

The computer case is entirely up to you because I know there are some people who want to have a really cool looking case to go with their build. Some may want lighting, extra fans or more room for future upgrades using bigger cards. Whatever the reasoning, you’ll want to make sure you pick the case that suits you best.

I’d suggest going with the case that I have listed above because it’s the cheapest case you could get on Amazon and it’s 100% compatible with all of the parts you’ll need. Everything will fit just fine and you’re getting the most bang for your buck! The only downfall is that I don’t think there is enough room for upgrading to a bigger card, you’ll have to stick with the mini versions that are available.

There are plenty of other choices as well, if you plan on using more than one hard drive now or in the near future then you’ll want to go with a case that has more slots for more hard drives. Take a look at other mid-tower cases on Amazon and ask away if one you find would work or not, I’ll let you know!

The combination of the Pentium G4560 and the GTX 1050 2GB card is a match made in heaven.

When it comes to entry level CPU power and staying within the $400 range, the Pentium G4560 CPU is a great starting point!

These parts aren’t completely high-end and new but they aren’t crappy either. You’ll be able to run games like Overwatch, Grand Theft Auto V, The Elder Scrolls Online and Rainbow Six: Siege with this build.

One thing you shouldn’t expect is being able to run all games on ultra settings with 60 FPS, that comes with upgrading down the road.

The Pentium G4560 may be a somewhat lower end CPU but it’s able to be upgraded down the road to other CPUs using the LGA 1151 socket.

This includes processors such as an i5-7400 or even an i7-7700. If you wanted to go with an upgrade in the future that would be able to be overclocked then you’d also have to change the motherboard since the one in this list is not compatible with overclocking.

Video card power has come a long way in recent years. Just a few years back a $400 build meant that you’d be having a video card just barely at the 1GB VRAM point.

A 2GB GTX 1050 is the ideal card right now when you’re looking at spending ~$400 on your build.

Now with nVidia’s new 1000 series cards it’s easy to have a 2GB VRAM card that packs a punch.

Again, I wouldn’t expect this build to run the newest games at ultra and giving you smooth frame rate but if you’re looking for an entry level PC experience for the lower price point, this is it.

8GB of RAM is the industry standard if you want to have a high quality gaming experience. In the past I was sharing using a 4GB stick to start off but that isn’t going to cut it anymore. Sure, this increases the price a decent bit but paying that extra bit is 100% worth putting into the build.

Without having 8GB of RAM you wouldn’t be meeting with the minimum requirement of almost every high end game that has released in the past year and it’s definitely going to be required for many years to come. Besides, having 8GB of RAM also helps with multi-tasking and using other high demanding programs which makes it that much more worth getting.

The 400W EVGA power supply is great and EVGA has always delivered high quality power products. If you’re going to upgrade this build down the road then make sure you up the wattage as well that way you can be sure you have enough power to run the high end hardware when you actually do decide to upgrade.

500GB of hard drive space isn’t the most ideal amount of storage when you think about some of the bigger titles that you could throw onto it such as The Elder Scrolls Online – it’s over 50GB for that one title. But, the motherboard is able to have multiple hard drives which allows you to, down the road, upgrade and/or add in another hard drive for more storage.

* Having a CD drive included with your build isn’t entirely essential, though for new builders it might streamline the process a bit which is why I include it into the build. You can save some money on the build by not including the CD drive as long as you know what you’re doing when it comes to installing your operating system and drivers without using the CDs that come with the different pieces of hardware.

This build would be more than capable of gaming decently at 1080p resolution. If you’re in need of a good 1080p monitor then I’d highly suggest taking a look at this one by Asus!

Also, if you need to grab a keyboard and a mouse then this combo by Cooler Master is going to probably be the one for you. For its price point it is an absolute steal and the mouse is perfect for gaming at 1080p.

Keyboard/MouseCM Storm Devastator 3

Now as far as operating system go, that would be a decision that is entirely up to you. You could always go with Windows and then you’ll be able to upgrade to Windows 10 when it releases later on this year.

If you do go with Windows then make sure that you go with a 64bit version that way you’ll be able to use 8GB of RAM in the future if you don’t have it already. I highly suggest that you do just get the 8GB of RAM anyway, you’ll need it going forward.

You could also go with the free, open source operating system known as Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a linux-based operating system that you can download and add to your PC build 100% for free. The only downside is that not all PC games are completely compatible with Linux. There are work arounds but it includes downloading certain programs and emulating the experience.

If you have Windows then you won’t have any problems with PC games for the most part. You could always pirate Windows as well but this is really frowned upon and NO I will not show you how to get Windows for free. It’s better to pay for the legit version anyway that way you won’t have any bugs in your system and then you’ll also be able to upgrade to Windows 10 which is actually supposed to cater to PC gamers, with DirectX 12 and such. I’m pretty excited for it myself!

If you’re looking for optimal internet connection then I highly suggest that you go with broadband. Check out the wireless network adapter that I’ve linked below if you’d like, it plugs right into a USB slot and then an antenna sticks out of the USB to find connectivity with your wifi connection. Based on the reviews over on Amazon for it, it keeps a good, reliable connection!

Also, if you’re looking for a cheaper mouse and keyboard combination then you should definitely check these out! They are high quality for the price point and you’ll be able to have an awesome gaming experience with these peripherals!

All in all, a $400 gaming PC build is definitely a way to go. Upgrading down the road will be easy and you’ll be able to have an entry-level PC gaming experience with this build.

Pretty great hardware right?

Let me know in the comments below! 😀

If you ever have any questions about how to go about building it or just in general then feel free to ask me in the comments area! 🙂

1,172 Responses to Best $400 Dollar Gaming PC Build, An Optimal Budget Build For 2018

1. Gale Clark says:

My son is getting into gaming and I have been researching gaming pc’s. I found your review on the Cyberpower Gamer Ultra GUA880. That is what he was looking at. Then I seen your $400 budget build from that review. So Ive been looking at higher quality units (I think). Can you tell me witch of the following would be better, or if they are overpriced.

1. Inspiron Desktop Gamer Edition (Intel) $734.00
    *6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.00 GHz)
    *Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    *16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
    *2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
    *AMD Radeon™ HD R9 360 2GB GDDR5
    *802.11bgn + Bluetooth 4.0, 2.4 GHz, 1×1

2. ALIENWARE AURORA $783.00
    *7th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-7400 Processor
    *Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    *8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz; up to 64GB
    *AMD Radeon™ RX 460 with 4GB GDDR5
    *1TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s
    We would prefer to get one that works as apposed to building and hoping we get it right.. Thanks for any comments you have

Gale,

Although the specs for those PCs aren’t necessarily “bad” – you would definitely be paying more than what you should for it.

If you really wanted to go with a pre-built PC for around that price point then I would recommend this PC from CyberPowerPC – you’d still get more power per dollar spent by doing your own build but that’s one of the higher value pre-built PCs that are on the market right now!

• Thomas says:

Does this 400$ pc be able to play unknown battlegrounds?

It’s lacking a little bit on the processor side, wouldn’t be a bad idea to upgrade it sooner rather than later when you’re thinking of Battlegrounds. The optimization for Battlegrounds isn’t quite there yet so as far as higher settings and higher FPS, you’d need a bit of a better processor in time.

• wyatt zierle says:

Go with the alienware.
      •It has a better GPU
      •Faster and better ram
      •can upgrade ram
      •And It has a more gaming level CPU Allowing you to have a RX 460 in it.
      • great upgrade Options (I would recommend getting a m.2 ssd to add on for the games he likes the most but make sure to keep at least 10%-20% free for lifespan)

I would also recommend later buying a 16gb ram kit because more and more game’s are wanting more ram.

It’s a waste of money to go with the Alienware though… The video card is extremely underpowered for how much you’re paying for it. Don’t go with the Alienware.

• Animosity says:

Its a waste of money to buy the Alienware, its better if you build it yourself, prebuilts are overpriced for what they are worth, i could build those PC’s but better for 500 dollars, i could make it much better at the price it cost you, there are many guides for how to make it, the most important thing is to make sure to use thermal paste on the CPU

2. Jessie says:

Hi Colton. I’m wondering if I could play Skyrim with mods including an ENB with this build? Not the Special Edition, just the regular version? Thanks!

3. Peter Hungerford says:

I built the old model you recommended with the AMD processor and it has been working great so far. My only concern is when I want to get a new graphics card will the power supply be enough to keep it running? The motherboard on the build recommended at least a 500W supply and the one in the build is 400W. I know some graphics cards can suck up power like crazy so I was just wondering if the power supply can really take it. Thanks

Hey there Peter,

As long as you aren’t overclocking then you won’t need to upgrade the power supply right away. The only reason it’d be essential to upgrade to a higher wattage one is when you upgrade past these upgrades coming up for you.

I’d suggest getting a RX 480 graphics card for your next card, it’s what would make the most sense. There will be a bit of a bottleneck with your CPU but it’s not like your performance is going to be bad because of that. You can upgrade the CPU down the road as well!

• Peter Hungerford says:

I actually used an AMD 6350 instead of the suggested 4350 if that makes much of a difference. Thanks for the response.

• Peter Hungerford says:

Would using this card with 8gb of ram maybe have more of a benefit? http://amzn.to/2mVnSra

Even better then, no bottlenecking issues to worry about with the 6350. And no problem!

• Peter Hungerford says:

Sounds good, seeing as the 8Gb version of the RX 480 is similar in price would it be okay to go with that? Or should I stick with the 4Gb?

Sorry about the late question. I obviously still haven’t made a decision but after trying to play ARK Survival Evolved I came back to the realization that a new graphics card will be necessary.

Thank you for all the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Sure, if you went with the dual fan 8GB version you’d be good to go! Doesn’t hurt to have more video memory.

You’re welcome, always here for whatever else!

4. Noah Luty says:

Im using all the specs you are except replacing the video card with http://amzn.to/2nLndWV

and then the optical drive http://amzn.to/2mADXjA

just to see what you think and or if its all compatible.

5. James says:

So now that windows 10 has been released and out for a while. Would you still recommend that, as the operating system to go with for gaming?

For sure man, lots of the newer games coming out basically require Windows 10 and it has all of the features that’ll be needed down the road. It’s a pretty awesome OS in my opinion!

6. James says:

Would this case suit the build, I read a lot of mixed reviews on it. I would really like an opinion not only on the case with the budget build you have above. Also potential upgrades in the future and how that will work out. Thanks for your time. http://amzn.to/2mwJkzl

Hey there James,

Yes – that case would work just fine with the build. Many people have used that case and I’ve heard good things about it so far! The way the build is you’ll be able to upgrade to a better processor and video card down the road whenever you deem it necessary, could always come back here when that time would come and I’d be able to point you in the right direction.

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build!

7. Brian says:

Hello Colton,

First of all, thank you for your posts. It was a great help.
    I would like to know if I can replace CPU to Pentium G4560 (7th Gen) from your list. Would it work? Do I need to change anything?

Thanks in advance@

Hey there Brian,

I’m glad that you’re digging the site!

As far as using that CPU, you’d have to go with a newer motherboard such as this one from MSI to avoid compatibility issues. It’s a newer generation of CPU needing a newer generation of a motherboard.

Let me know if I can help with anything else going forward, I’m all ears here!

8. James says:

Should I go with the graphics card you have listed or would this one be better? http://amzn.to/2nl2rwW
    Let me know which one would work better for the rest of the build. Thank you for your time.

Hey James,

If you have the room in your budget for that card then I’d recommend going with it over the above one. It’d be worth picking up!

Always here for whatever else going forward!

9. Dan Burger says:

Do you know if the links you posted above are still valid in terms of pricing? I am looking to do this but within the next couple of weeks and in my experience the pricing can change pretty dynamically.

Hey there Dan,

I try to stay on top of it as much as I can, updating the builds as I see the prices change. As of right now, the prices have changed a little bit totaling out to almost $450. The $400 range can sometimes get that way. In a couple weeks time this could change to get on the lower side, I’ll be sure to update all of the builds again within the next week or two as well!

10. Edward says:

Hey, i was wondering if this build could run newer games on 60fps with decent settings. Thanks.

Hey Edward,

It would depend on the game, really. Every game has different optimization. I wouldn’t expect a game in early access to be able to run optimally at max settings, but a well optimized game such as Overwatch would be able to run on a tweaked max/high setting pretty well for getting to 60 FPS. A better video card and processor would lead to a lot better overall performance.

11. Eryk J. says:

Hey Colton, I recently purchased and researched this pc and found it (just as you said) is great, there is one issue tho with this build, the GPU dosent fit well with this case, the slot covers on the back of the case block the top of the GPU and stop the GPU from fully connecting to the pcie slot, otherwise this is a great build and I’ve enjoyed it very much.

Hmm… How so? Are you using the back slot correctly? Recently helped a friend locally with the same build and the GPU fit just fine, maybe don’t have it lined up correctly?

Seems that the board is still recognizing and using the video card though, glad that you’re digging the build!

12. Juan says:

Can I change the Graphics card and the Case and use the other things in the build? Also does I need to install Windows 10 and how?

Hey Juan,

Yes, you’d just want to make sure that the card will fit to whatever video card you’d want to switch to. You can link the case and card to me in another comment and I can help you from there!

Yes you’ll need an operating system such as Windows 10. I have a link above to a copy of Windows! You’ll use a CD to boot from and install from.

13. James says:

I finished the build, I love it, I did change the graphics card to the Ti version for the extra 2 gb’s of memory for it, now that it is finished, I can’t stop playing. For upgrades what should I look for? Thank you for the build and all the help.

• James says:

I also changed the case to this http://amzn.to/2pxV6Mv and that would be all I changed so let me know what I should upgrade please and thanks

Awesome James, glad that you’re digging your new build! Good idea on going for the graphics card you mentioned.

As for an upgrade I’d recommend going with the i5-6500 – it’s an awesome processor and the board that you have is compatible with it. Or you could go with the i5-7500 but that’s only if you are able to update the BIOS to be able to use the newest generation of processors which you should be able to get done!

14. Noah Luty says:

Hey Colton, I was just wondering I am thinking of buying a 500w power supply for future upgrades,but will it fit in this build?

15. Noah Luty says:

Ok thanks man!

16. Matt f says:

Hey so I’m considering doing this build. I’ve never built a pc before so just a couple questions.
    1: can I use any mid size tower that supports microatx motherboards? Because I’ve read on some reviews for the mimini case that you mention is a little tight and some people have problems fitting in the graphics card in the pci slot
    2. If i get this card instead of the one you mentioned, which seems sikmilsr but just a lil btter, will i need to change anything else, like a better processor or more power?
    3. Do i need ONLY the things you listed? The case, motherboard, processor, graphics card, ram, power supply, 1tb hd, Windows 10 os cd and cd drive? Are those the ONLY things I would need to buy, besides keyboard and stuff? No ssd or other extras needed to be able to get to playing games? Thanks

Hey Matt!

1. For the most part, yes. You can always link me to a case that you’re interested in another comment and I can let you know if it’d work or not.

2. Nope, you’d be good to go using that card with the rest of the build as is.

3. Yup! All of the cables and what not will come with the different parts. As for a SSD, that’s up to you. It simply boots the PC up faster and loads programs/games faster. Optional. You can read this post for more details on the differences between HDDs and SSDs if you’d like.

17. Matt f says:

By this card I mean http://amzn.to/2qARBW9

18. Matt f says:

Sorry one more thing. If i use the 1050ti 4gb version graphics card with the g4400, would it be good to get the 550 watt version of the power supply instead for the extra 10$? I
    Also for in case I ever choose to upgrade the Intel processor?

500w is still going to be enough for a stock intel processor down the road, as long as you don’t plan on overclocking you’ll be fine. No need for the 550w!

19. Mike says:

Hey Colton, I just want to know if the CPU cooler is include with the i5-6500 or do I need to buy a CPU cooler whit this configuration ?

20. cameron says:

Hey sorry to bother you just was wondering if a dual fan card will work in this build instead of the linked single fan?

21. JP says:

Will this rig be enough to stream on Twitch with OBS?

JP,

Yes, though I wouldn’t expect to be able to stream at high qualities. It’ll be able to handle it overall though, granted that you also have a good ISP with a solid connection.

22. Ashley says:

First time ever building a PC so I have no idea what I’m doing, but I ended up getting this case (http://amzn.to/2q4PtYI) and this processor (http://amzn.to/2plT6KX) from Jet.com because I was able to get the G4500 for cheaper than the G4400 and the case for around $25 since I don’t need a CD drive. Will this case and processor work? Will the video you have included above work for someone who essentially has no clue what they’re doing but is willing to learn? Thanks!

Hey there Ashley,

Those changes will work, however that case doesn’t have USB 3.0 while the motherboard has a USB 3.0 header. You’ll still be able to connect the front USB 2.0, just that there isn’t any 3.0 with that case.

The video is very good, I’d suggest going through it before and during the actual process of putting everything together. It has helped me when I did my first ever build not knowing anything and many others here as well, you’ll do fine as long as you follow it to a T!

• Ashley says:

Hi again Colton! So I built my PC and it was easier than expected, but now I’m finding that I might want to purchase an upgraded processor and was thinking about the i3-6100, would this be a smart choice or no? Would this work?

23. River says:

Will the GTX 1050 SC 4gb work for this build? http://amzn.to/2qKljeO

24. Lucas says:

I added up all the parts except the disk tray and the price comes to about $441?

Hey Lucas,

I just added all of the parts, including the disk drive and I got to about $425. Maybe you added something else or have a different part instead? The prices do tend to fluctuate here and there as well so that might’ve been it.

25. Cody Johnson says:

Hey colton
    was wondering if this build actually works and i can rely on it. most of my friends were saying dont trust the online stuff and pick out parts yourself. I was wondering if this is actually a good build for a 400$ budget. Another question, can this run Paladins with high graphics in 60-70 fps.

Hey Cody,

The more you pay, the better your build will be. Well optimized games are going to run like a charm with this build, this includes Paladins. You’ll get 60+ FPS on max settings at 1080p for sure.

I always recommend going with $500 for the build to really get optimal performance but for $400 you’ll still have a gaming PC that will be ready for upgrades down the road whenever you deem that necessary!

26. Moeez says:

I was wondering if Paladins would run with more than 60-70 fps and i wanted to know if this build is actually worth building so basically i want so reassurance that this build is good xD

27. Zach says:

Do csgo and moonlight gamestreaming work on the The Best $400 Gaming PC April 2017.

28. Zach says:

Is there a link on how to build this with a video?

The above video will be an awesome guide to follow when you go to put it all together, I’d suggest going through it before and during the actual process of putting everything together.

29. Ellis T says:

Is this everything you need for a Pc or will i need storage and a cooler as well

For sure! The above processor comes with a stock Intel cooler to use. All of the cables and what not that you’ll need will come with the different parts.

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build!

30. kalix says:

is it usd or cad

31. Jadyn says:

Will this build run unturned at max detail? Thanks, Jadyn

32. jonah groulx says:

hey colton, I am getting the 880 but I’m upgrading it with a gtx 1050ti. I’m just wondering if I need a new motherboard? I’m also getting a 700w supply for it al well. is that okay? I cant find any other site/video that tells me that I need a new motherboard for the gtx 1050ti for the 880

33. Jadyn says:

Hi Again, It’s Jadyn. I’m Confused About Cases. I Don’t Know What Other Case Would Be Compatible With This Build. Im Currently Interested In The “Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower Case”. Do You Know If This Case Will Fit With All The Parts? Thanks.

34. Steven H says:

Would the power supply be able to handle a Nvidia GTX 1050 and an i5 processor (The only parts of this setup that I am upgrading)? If not, what would be a power supply that could that is compatible with the parts?

Yeah Steven, you’d still be good with the above power supply while going with an i5. Though if you planned on upgrading down the road, I’d play it safe and go for a 500w.

35. Trenton O says:

Hey Colton… if I were to update the processor, which model should I go with?

36. Travis urban says:

Just wondering if it runs minecraft good my friend gets 100 + fps onn his macho ok and I get 40 around on my home pc looking to get 80-100 is this good enough ?

37. Jason Tevlin says:

Can I upgrade to the Seagate 4tb hardrive

38. Mason Mickelson says:

Would I need to buy cables, connectors, heatsinks, etc? I’m tight on cash and would like to know if there is anything not included in this list that i would need to buy, thanks.

Hey Mason,

Nope! Everything you’d need such as the cables and what not are going to come with all of the different parts. You’d be good to go! Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with the build.

39. Dainel says:

Hello I was wondering if this can run arma 3 medium setting and decent fps

40. Stephen Barker says:

Hey Colton, im really interested in this build. I dont even have a pc at my house, so this is looking like a really nice upgradeable build for my future endeavours, but i really want 16 gb of ram. Would two 8gb sticks or one 16 be better? until researching, i didnt even realize 2 sticks were an optioin so i was looking for a professional opinion. thanks!

Hey Stephen,

How come you’d want to go with 16GB of RAM? Yes, it’d be better to go with two 8GB sticks… but I’m curious as to why you’d want to have that much. It makes sense if you plan on doing more than just gaming because gaming performance isn’t really predicated on how much RAM you have in your system.

41. Jesus says:

Hey colton, i am thinking on building this PC because i am tight on money at the moment. i would like to know if this PC will have enough power for Music Production and Recording on FL Studio. Also for beginner video editing? and will it be fast enough to browse through storage?

Jesus,

You’d be able to get it done, though if you planned on heavy video rendering down the road you’d definitely want to also upgrade the processor down the road. You’d be able to do that whenever you deemed it necessary!

42. Davo says:

Colton PLZZZZZ HELP! I am Not able to buy the Crucial 8 GB ram because I live in Australia! Do u know anyother good rams for the same price that i could get? plzzzzz help me1

43. jack the farmer says:

hey colton can i substitue processor to this? Intel – Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor
    will all other parts like graphic cards, memory, main board be compatible if i used that i-g4560 instead? thx!

44. Jason Tevlin says:

Can I put a second 8bg of ram into this build

Hey Jason, you sure can!

Make sure that you add in the same model of RAM in as the second stick though, just to have optimal performance. Don’t want to mix and match different brands of RAM.

45. Robert guay says:

Need help with Front panel connection on the H110M-A M2 motherboard. I heard if you do it incorrectly you can fry the motherboard. The link is an image of how I think they should be plugged in.

1) Does this look correct?
    2) Do the letters (on the plugs) face the processor or away from the processor? I assume away because the positive pin looks to be the one on the far left.
    3) Do I skip a pin between the HDD and Reset? Because there are only four slots/female inputs total on the two plugs. So a pin has to be skipped some place.

Thanks a million for any help

That link didn’t work man, I get error 404.

The motherboard manual will tell you how each pin needs to be put in. You won’t have any problems frying the board even if you have the pins in wrong – I’ve done that before and so have plenty others. If it doesn’t work just change up which way it’s facing but like I said, the section of the manual for that portion should be able to help you out with the specifics!

46. ketch says:

would this build play csgo and battlegrounds at 60+fps?

Maybe at a tweaked med setting you could with CSGO, PUBG have everything on lower graphics and you might be able to get 50+. PUBG is not very well optimized for these specs unfortunately… you’d want a better CPU for 60+ on battlegrounds

47. Braden says:

Colton, I bought this exact build right here as a gift for my father, I have been into PC building for many years now and this is my 4th assembly of a build, however I am encountering a problem I have never had before, for some reason the graphics card is not completely clicking in, on the side away from the click lock on the PCIE slot will not completely click on, I have removed all of the necessary parts of the retention bracket on the back side (there isn’t much to work with on this cases backside) and I just can not get it to fully click in. I can see a the last 4 pins still slightly sticking out and not fully clicked in, I’m not sure what could be causing this. Maybe you are aware of this issue happening to somebody else? Let me know!

And you’ve put enough pressure to know for a fact that it’s not clicking in? There isn’t a screw in the way or something else in the way of the bracket?

I’ve helped someone myself with this exact build locally and didn’t run into that issue… sounds like something is in the way somehow to where it isn’t able to be clicked in?

48. Paul says:

Hi colton, I was wondering if I could skip getting the cd drive and just install Windows 10 through a USB stick.

Yeah you could do that. Microsoft has a media installation tool that you can use to get a limited version of Windows 10 and then you could get a key wherever you’d like to for the full version.

49. James says:

Hi Colton I was just wondering if my son could play modded minecraft at a decent frame rate with this build and also is there any way to make this build better at a low cost say for $50-$100 more?

Hey James,

For sure! Minecraft would run very well with this build, even heavily modded. When it comes to AAA titles though, the much higher demanding titles, you’ll probably run into a few issues.

Have you checked out the $500 build yet? It’s a bit more price-wise but the performance difference is definitely worth it!

50. Noah says:

So I was gonna do the 500$ build but then I thought it’d be cheaper for 400$. What would the difference be graphic wise and just how fast the computer itself runs?

Hey Noah,

Where the $400 build lacks a bit is with the processor. Today’s AAA titles require a bit more beef to run smoothly. That isn’t to say that it isn’t going to handle anything at all, but there’s a pretty noticeable difference in performance compared to the $500 build regarding the CPU.

If you’re going to go with the $400 build then expect to save up a bit and upgrade to a better processor sooner rather than later, always here if you need help with your build!

• Noah says:

Could I do the 400$ build and use the 500$ build’s processor? Or is there a certain processor I need to use that would fit in with the 400$ build.

No you couldn’t because the motherboard used with this build compared to the $500 build need to use completely different types of processors. It’s a different socket.

The next best thing for this build would be something like the i3-6100 if you’re wanting to stick with the above board.