Best Gaming PC Build for Under $1500, A Legendary Build

Surfing the web for the best gaming PC build for $1,500? Well look no further because this is a legendary setup and your money is very well invested with this specific build.

With a $1,500 budget you’ll be able to add a solid state drive as well as a 1TB hard drive. This will allow you to be able to run your operating system at full speed while still having the capacity of the 1TB hard drive to store your game library, movies, music and photos.

Best Gaming PC Build For Under $1500

Be A Legend

If you’re looking to max every single game out there for years to come then this is the build for you. The processor with this build is super powered and will be able to do much more than just be able to process video games. This combined with one of the best graphics card out there makes this build one of the best.

If you’ve never built a computer before and you feel intimidated by it then I just have to say one thing. Don’t be. Building a computer from scratch is a lot easier than most people would think and there are plenty of tutorials out there that can show you step by step.

This specific build is actually going to be very easy to build because you’ll have a lot of space in the case to work with and the motherboard is pretty big so you’ll have a ton of room to make sure everything is nicely done.

The tutorial that I think best shows how to build a computer step by step is the video series by Newegg. They do an excellent job showing even the complete newbie to build a computer. I have inserted the video below if you’d like to see it!

These videos should help shed some light on building a computer from complete scratch. When I built my very first gaming PC I went through these videos step by step before I had all of my parts in the mail and during the actual process of building it.

If you do each step that is shown in the video series at the same time as actually building your computer then it’ll be a lot easier than trying to just review the video beforehand and trying to memorize each step.

With that, let’s get to the actual build.

Optimal Hardware With A $1,500 Budget

Last Updated: September 23rd, 2019

* = Optional part. Read below for details.

Final price includes optional part.

Apevia X-HermesCase – Apevia X-Hermes Metal Case

Motherboard – GIGABYTE Z390 UD

Processor – Intel Core i7-9700K

CORSAIR Hydro Series H75 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler CPU CoolerCORSAIR Hydro Series H75 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Video CardGigabyte RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 16GB RAMCorsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz 2×8 16GB

Solid State Drive – SanDisk 480GB SSD

WD Blue 1TB HDD Hard Drive – Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD

Power Supply – EVGA GQ 80+ GOLD 750W

cd * CD Drive (Optional) – Asus 24x DVD-RW

Final Price: $1,507.86

This build is legendary.

Anything you throw at this build is going to run phenomenally. Virtual reality will be experienced to its fullest with this build and you’re going to be future-proof for a very long time as far as recommended specs for the latest games go.

A note about the pricing, feel free to change the power supply and/or other hardware to compensate for the final price. The market for PC hardware is at a weird spot right now, this list may not equal out exactly to $1,500 but it’s the best choices for this price range. You can ask away in the comments for other recommendations if there is a part you want to change out.

The Apevia-X Hermes case is a great case. Very big and open area to work inside of and comes with many features as well. Super easy to work with hard drives, seamlessly swap out drives easier than how most other cases would work. Comes with a large fan on the side so air cooling won’t be an issue at all, especially combining that with the liquid cooler that you’ll be using with the CPU.

Gaming and/or planning on heavy processing work? The i7-9700k still makes the most sense when it comes to power per dollar spent.

Having an Intel Core i7-9700k is going to put you in awe once you experience its true processing power. This processor is able to do A LOT more than just process game worlds.

You’ll also be able to use any graphics program and you’ll also be able to design your own high-end video games on this machine if you really desired to do so. Anything outside of the realm of PC gaming is definitely doable with this build, it’s beast!

Keep in mind that the CPU, unlike most other Intel CPUs, will not come with a stock CPU cooler. That’s why I’ve also included an aftermarket cooler to go with. You’ll also be able to overclock a good bit with it making the 9700k even that much better.

You also need to know, since it’s an aftermarket cooler, that you will also need some higher quality thermal paste to go with it. The cooler comes with paste and if you want to trust it then go ahead – but I suggest getting some that is higher quality.

If you’ve got VR gaming in mind then this build will definitely be what you’ll need for the far future. VR takes a lot of processing power but that worry can disappear when you have the 9700k included in your arsenal of hardware within. The future of VR is very bright so it makes complete sense to have a build that is more than capable.

A RTX 2070 is the most ideal card for a $1,500 budget range build. It matches up to the processing power of the i7-9700k – a perfect match.

The Gigabyte RTX 2070 video card is an amazing card. It’s the newest tech from Nvidia as far as video cards are concerned and based on overall performance, they live up to the hype.

They’ll be even more exciting once the new RTX technology develops further into upcoming titles throughout 2019-2020 especially.

But with a card like this, you should be planning on playing at higher resolutions or with a 144hz display since this card is completely capable of it.

There is an insane amount of power behind this card and trust me when I say you’re not going to be disappointed by going with this card for your $1,500 build.

Even though pricing for the GPU/RAM is at a weird point right now… We’re finally at a point where it makes sense to include a RTX 2070 video card at this budget point and it feels great being able to include it! Previously we were using a GTX 1070 Ti which is still another amazing card but if we can have a higher level of performance for around the same price point then why not do so?

Although it’s not the perfect price point, a bit off from what was announced, it’s simply what we have to pay right now. There isn’t much going on with this level of performance as far as something even newer on the horizon but I’m sure as time continues to go on, the prices will continue to drop there.

Even with the 2070 added into the mix for the 2019 update we can still fit a solid state drive into the build list but it’s entirely up to you whether or not to add one in.

If you wanted to add in a solid state drive or more so if you have the room in your budget to then I’d definitely recommend doing it. You could install your operating system and your most played games/most used programs on it to really pump up the loading times on whatever is installed on it. I have

Peripherals

As for peripherals and what not that you should consider, you’re going to have different options that are recommended compared to other builds since the power here can handle a higher resolution monitor.

It’s not entirely new, released a few years ago, but if you’re looking for an optimal 1440p gaming monitor then you should definitely check out this Dell monitor review.

– Dell S2716DG

If you’re doing other tasks such as photo/video editing and wanting to have that very perfect level of color then you’ll want to look at other options but when it comes to gaming specifically, this monitor is a steal.

You’ll learn most about it within the review but the only downfall to it is that the color gets a little off when viewing the monitor at an angle. Other than that it is buttery smooth for gameplay and is at the 1440p resolution.

For a keyboard and mouse you’ll want to go with ones that aren’t really cheap if you’re wanting to have an equal amount of performance to go with a higher resolution monitor. I’d suggest checking out these reviews.

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Optical Gaming Mouse Review – Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

logitech g910 keyboard review– Logitech G910 Orion Spark

I’m currently using this keyboard and mouse and they’re easily the best peripherals that I’ve ever used. The G910 keyboard is a bit of a stretch when it comes to the price of other keyboards and if you don’t want to spend that much, don’t.

It has a plethora of features and I can tell that it’s going to last for the long haul, it’ll most likely be the last keyboard I ever use on a main build. Keyboards aren’t nearly as important as the mouse so if you don’t want to be fancy here then keep in mind it’s not essential, just a nice touch.

As for the mouse, you’ll need something that’s going to handle 1440p and the cheaper mice just aren’t going to be able to do that. You can have whatever DPI setting you want with this mouse as well as being able to customize a lot with it so I’d definitely recommend picking it up if  you’re using a higher resolution monitor.

Operating System And More

Now if I were you I’d go ahead and throw Windows 10 on this build for an operating system. If for whatever reason you don’t have the cash flow to grab Windows right away then I’d suggest just grabbing Ubuntu, an open-source Linux based operating system that is really super easy to work with, oh and I forgot to mention that it’s also free to use! 🙂

You can just use Ubuntu until you have the cash for Windows or you might just end up sticking with the Linux based operating system because once you get used to it it’s hard to go back to Windows!

Also, as far as internet connection is concerned, you should take a look at the Panda network adapter below. It keeps a pretty solid wireless network and you simply plug it into any USB port on the PC!

Unless you’re able to go with a direct connection with an ethernet cord – you’re going to need some sort of a wireless adapter to connect to the internet.

All in all if you’re looking at getting a build together that’s going to give you the absolute motherload of experiences in what PC gaming can provide then this is definitely the build for you.

This build is literally going to max everything you throw at it and run it at extremely high frames per second. 🙂 (I WISH I had this build…)

Are you going to be putting this build together for yourself?

406 Responses to Best Gaming PC Build for Under $1500, A Legendary Build

1. George says:

Why don’t you put a Gtx 1070 in this build? There’s some on Amazon that’s cheaper than this 980
    Ti?

2. Pablo says:

Help!! My CD drive doesn’t fit what do I do?

3. Jake says:

How would a i5 cpu at 3.5ghz fair with the build above, also would the deepblue tesseract case work with this build!?

• Jake says:

Also while keeping the 980 ti above and case how would you mix this build and the 1000$ build, for power and stability while staying below 1500$!? Thank you for your help!

If you’d rather go with the $1,000 build CPU and motherboard then I bet you’d save a bit more money. Other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Jake,

So are you talking like the 4690k? I mean, it’s still a great CPU and it’d be compatible but it’d be smarter to go with the above CPU and board.

And are you referring to this exact case? If so then yes, it’d be compatible man!

• Jake says:

Ok so here’s what i got
        The above case
        I7 4790k
        Mobo- msi intel z97
        Evga 970 sc acx 2.0
        Crucial ballistix sport 16 gb kit
        EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ GOLD, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular
        WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive
        Asus dvd drive (from most of all ur builds)
        Windows 10 oem
        Thoughts? And thank you for replying it trully means alot to me. 🙂

• Jake says:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1- instead

• Jake says:

Or 980 equvilant from gigabyte

Well, if you have the room in your budget to fit a 980 in there then that’d be the even better choice (for the future). If you know that you’re going to be gaming at 1080p resolution for a long time then the 970 would be the best card for you since a 980 would be a bit overkill.

You’re also going to need to make sure that you’re using a case that’s going to fit the graphics card that you go with, the G1 for example should fit in the $1,000 build’s case and the above one.

4. Mike Hudak says:

This guide is really great. I plan on using it for my upcoming PC build. Which parts are expected to have new releases soon? Just the video card?

Mike,

I’ll be updating the video card to the 1070 or the 1080 (depending on what will fit the budget) and the CPU might change to newer tech as well. Just depends on what parts are allowed to be used with this budget point. It’ll all be updated within the next day or two so check back then and you’ll see the updates!

5. Pablo says:

Thank you so much for this build! I’m in the process of selling this computer and getting the 1500 dollar one. I couldn’t find any good computers in youtube until I stumbled upon this website. Thank you so much again 😀 Also, you recommend this cooler? Noctua NH-D14 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler? Again, thanks!!

Hey Pablo,

Sounds good man – this build is amazing 🙂

Actually, for a build like this, I’d recommend going with liquid cooling such as the Corsair H60 cooler. If you want to have good overclocking down the road then liquid cooling will serve you well when that time comes. It’s actually fairly easy to install, many YouTube guide videos to look at!

6. Josh V says:

Hey Colton just wanted to know what you think of this build:

Intel Boxed Core I5-6600K 3.50 GHz, 6 M Processor Cache 6 for LGA 1151

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO – CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
    ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4 Motherboards

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD

Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis with Window Cases PH-ES614P_BK

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80+ GOLD, 750W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready

Samsung SATA 1.5 Gb-s Optical Drive, Black SH-224DB/BEBE

Hey Josh,

Pure awesomeness, seriously. That build’s going to last you a very long time, the 1070 is going to be amazing 🙂

Let me know if I can help you any further as you move forward with your build, I’m all ears here man.

• Josh V says:

Thanks for your input! I’m very new to computers so this will be my first build 🙂 Should I be buying thermal paste? And what would you recommend for the monitor?

Again thanks!

Yeah, I’d recommend that you do. The thermal paste that comes with most of those aftermarket coolers really isn’t that great. I’d recommend picking up higher quality paste that way you’ll get the best results!

For a monitor – that really depends on your budget. This build is capable of high quality 1440p gaming as well as some 4K compatibility… so it really depends on what you really want.

If I were you I’d invest in a good 1440p monitor like this one since it’s completely doable. There’s actually a big difference between 1440p and 1080p!

7. David K says:

Hey Colton I’ve been Flippin all the builds n trying to understand all this stuff better as I’m not too good with what all these specs mean but this is a great site and has helped alot on deciding on a new computer and I’ve now made the decision to just build my own thanks to you my question is I planned to double up the ram you have suggested (just buying 2 of them) but while looking at some of the suggestions I saw a set for the same price but almost double the hz what would you suggest?

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400MHz PC3 19200 Desktop RAM, Red http://amzn.to/24VORPh

Also I don’t want anything but hardline for my internet connection could you suggest what I should order?

Hey David,

Sounds good man, this is a great budget point to be at for an awesome build 🙂

As far as that RAM, that memory operating at a voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell Refresh CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This means that the memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum. So it’s doable, but not entirely compatible like memory that operates at 1.5V voltage.

8. Louise says:

Hello! I’m looking to build my first PC and I’m pretty nervous. I’ve been looking at your site for about a year now, and I think I’m going to go with this build. I bet you get this question all the time, but i do have to ask, will this build be able to run the latest games at max settings? Thanks!

Hey there Louise,

I just updated all of the builds with new prices, but since you were able to wait for about a year I’d suggest waiting just a tad bit longer.

The above specs are amazing and yes, you’re definitely going to be able to max out anything and everything even past 1080p resolution you’ll be able to run games very well. But new video cards are right on the horizon, they’re expected to release towards the end of this month.

It wouldn’t be ideal to get this hardware just to have new hardware right around the corner, especially since you’ve been able to wait for your build for about a year. I’d suggest waiting about another month, let the new cards get onto the market and then get on this budget. For the future, you totally wouldn’t regret it and I’ll also be updating all of the builds the moment the new hardware fully gets on the market!

Also a quick note about you being nervous – I was there too. I didn’t have a clue at all on how to build a computer with my first build a good few years ago!

But as long as you follow the above video step by step, to the T, you’ll be just fine 🙂 it’s a fun process!

9. Pablo says:

Will this website be until December?

I plan to have this website be a thing for… well for the foreseeable future anyway. I’d love to have this website and still manage it for years to come, that’s the plan! So yeah, I’ll be here in December 😛

10. John Simmons says:

What’s the difference between this video card and the one on the $2000 build? This one is more expensive on amazon then the 980ti 6GB? Sorry I don’t know much about video cards.. Thanks!

Hey John,

I’ve got to update all of the builds, the prices have changed up on the parts.

The only reason I haven’t updated the builds quite yet is because there are new parts on the horizon and I wish to wait to update because it doesn’t make much sense to me to update all of the parts today when new parts that would be even more optimal are coming out within the next few weeks.

• John Simmons says:

Cool, Thanks for the heads up. I’ll wait for your new updated build!

Sounds good! Today I’ll be updating prices on the builds and then later on in the month, especially sometime in July (since the new stuff is supposed to come out at the end of June) the builds should almost all be pretty different!

11. Francisco I says:

I just wanted to know is there anything else I need since this is going to be my very first pc I’m not sure if I have everything I have the hardware, the Os, paste, an key bored and mouse, is there any thing else I might need.

Hey Francisco,

Other than a monitor and a way for audio, sounds like you’ve got it all. Did you get paste because you’re using an aftermarket cooler? Because paste actually comes pre-applied on the stock cooler…

12. Happy Dude says:

Will the motherboard and power supply from the $2000 Build fit into the case from the $1500 Build?

13. Ben N says:

Hey Colton!
    Just wondering if the new GTX 1080/1070 would work for this build?

I don’t see why not, only thing I am thinking of is the size of the graphics cards.

The above case is pretty big so I’m sure they’d fit just fine and they’d definitely be compatible.

14. Curious says:

A few thoughts:

Wondering why you went asrock, although they often cram in a bunch of features/ports for cheap, I’ve heard nothing but bad things about their build quality and service.

With kaby lake coming out later this year, then cannonlake in 2017, kind of surprised you went 1150 rather than 1151, since no new cpus will be able to fit this socket. It may also be worth considering to add a section letting people know that both new GPU tech (polaris, pascal, later vega, etc) and new CPU tech will be coming out as soon as a few months from now, so it’s worth considering whether it’d be better to wait to build.

• Curious says:

By the way, you can currently get a 980Ti for basically the same price as the 980 you included, if you look for sales/rebates.

• Curious says:

Sorry was premature, not the same price, but for about $50 more at most. Probably worth the added cost.

At this budget point I’m sure it’d be worth it, though it’d be up to a person and their actual given budget. If it’s around this price range then I suppose it’d be better for them to stick to above but if there is a little more room… a 980 ti would definitely be the better choice

I’ve personally used ASRock with a few builds and haven’t had any problems with their stuff, that’s why I decided to go with them. This site is all about budget builds, being able to stick the amount of cash into the lower priced way of doing things. If I change the board then I also have to change other parts to stay within the price range…

The i7 4790k is going to be good to go for many, many years man. It’s not going to be “out dated” by any means for a very long time. Sure, the new tech is out, but a new i7 is so much more expensive and I’d rather use a 4790k combined with a 980 rather than a i7 6000 series CPU with a 970 or lower per say.

As far as new tech coming out soon… there’s always new “tech” coming out. If someone’s going to build a PC there’s bound to be someone telling them to wait for the new parts. Then the new parts come out and a few more months later there are rumors of even newer parts.

Anytime is a good time to put a build together, new parts coming out or not. Sure, if new parts are coming out in the next few weeks then it’s best to wait and see if the current parts drop in price but it’s going to be a lil bit yet before the “new” stuff comes out.

15. Kush says:

Can this build run at 4k?

The above build can for sure and it’d dominate at it.

The pre-built you’ve got linked there actually kind of sucks. Sure the 980 ti is nice but a FX-8320? It’d almost bottleneck with that combo and you’re not going to have a whole lot of room for upgrades that are worth getting with a FX-8320. You’d want a nice Intel processor to go with the 980 ti Kush.

Don’t buy pre-builts. They’re nasty and not worth your money at all.

16. Chuckles says:

I just wanted to post and let you know that this build is amazing. I can play games at at max graphics and resolution. I can even play a few games windowed and Netflix on half the screen. Thanks again for the awesome site.

17. Stockton says:

Hey Colton, I have a build that i am seriously considering building in within the next week, it’s similar to the build listed above but a bit cheaper.

Will this build perform close to the build you have above?

The biggest difference is going to be not having a solid state drive, Stockton.

I bet that’s the only reason why it’s a bit cheaper, I’d personally rather have a SSD to have a quality experience booting up the PC and having really fast load times over the 6700k i7… the 4790k is still an extremely good CPU and it’s ready for the future.

It’s up to you man, you definitely wouldn’t regret adding a SSD in there!

18. Chuckles says:

I am putting this build together within the next week (just waiting on the orders). Only thing different is I went with 16g of ram. What would you recommend for Bluetooth with this build

19. Ernesto Perez says:

Also Can I use the power supply from the 700 build for this build as well? Not certain as to why 800W is needed.

Sure you could, I listed the 800w as it is the safest route for those that are looking to overclock both CPU and GPU and possibly adding SLI down the road. If you’re doing those things then you’d need more than 600w for sure.

20. Ernesto Perez says:

As far as the graphics cards go for this build, are AMD cards recommended/compatible? They seem to be a lot cheaper than the nvidia

Ernesto,

If you’re talking the 8GB cards then yes, I’d say go for it if you’re gaming beyond 1080p as the 8GB of video memory is going to help a lot with that. If you’re gaming at 1080p then the above card is definitely going to be the better choice.