Best Gaming PC Build for Under $1500, A Legendary Build

Surfing the web for the best gaming PC build for $1,500? Well look no further because this is a legendary setup and your money is very well invested with this specific build.

With a $1,500 budget you’ll be able to add a solid state drive as well as a 1TB hard drive. This will allow you to be able to run your operating system at full speed while still having the capacity of the 1TB hard drive to store your game library, movies, music and photos.

Best Gaming PC Build For Under $1500

Be A Legend

If you’re looking to max every single game out there for years to come then this is the build for you. The processor with this build is super powered and will be able to do much more than just be able to process video games. This combined with one of the best graphics card out there makes this build one of the best.

If you’ve never built a computer before and you feel intimidated by it then I just have to say one thing. Don’t be. Building a computer from scratch is a lot easier than most people would think and there are plenty of tutorials out there that can show you step by step.

This specific build is actually going to be very easy to build because you’ll have a lot of space in the case to work with and the motherboard is pretty big so you’ll have a ton of room to make sure everything is nicely done.

The tutorial that I think best shows how to build a computer step by step is the video series by Newegg. They do an excellent job showing even the complete newbie to build a computer. I have inserted the video below if you’d like to see it!

These videos should help shed some light on building a computer from complete scratch. When I built my very first gaming PC I went through these videos step by step before I had all of my parts in the mail and during the actual process of building it.

If you do each step that is shown in the video series at the same time as actually building your computer then it’ll be a lot easier than trying to just review the video beforehand and trying to memorize each step.

With that, let’s get to the actual build.

Optimal Hardware With A $1,500 Budget

Last Updated: September 23rd, 2019

* = Optional part. Read below for details.

Final price includes optional part.

Apevia X-HermesCase – Apevia X-Hermes Metal Case

Motherboard – GIGABYTE Z390 UD

Processor – Intel Core i7-9700K

CORSAIR Hydro Series H75 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler CPU CoolerCORSAIR Hydro Series H75 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler

Video CardGigabyte RTX 2070 GAMING OC 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 16GB RAMCorsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz 2×8 16GB

Solid State Drive – SanDisk 480GB SSD

WD Blue 1TB HDD Hard Drive – Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD

Power Supply – EVGA GQ 80+ GOLD 750W

cd * CD Drive (Optional) – Asus 24x DVD-RW

Final Price: $1,507.86

This build is legendary.

Anything you throw at this build is going to run phenomenally. Virtual reality will be experienced to its fullest with this build and you’re going to be future-proof for a very long time as far as recommended specs for the latest games go.

A note about the pricing, feel free to change the power supply and/or other hardware to compensate for the final price. The market for PC hardware is at a weird spot right now, this list may not equal out exactly to $1,500 but it’s the best choices for this price range. You can ask away in the comments for other recommendations if there is a part you want to change out.

The Apevia-X Hermes case is a great case. Very big and open area to work inside of and comes with many features as well. Super easy to work with hard drives, seamlessly swap out drives easier than how most other cases would work. Comes with a large fan on the side so air cooling won’t be an issue at all, especially combining that with the liquid cooler that you’ll be using with the CPU.

Gaming and/or planning on heavy processing work? The i7-9700k still makes the most sense when it comes to power per dollar spent.

Having an Intel Core i7-9700k is going to put you in awe once you experience its true processing power. This processor is able to do A LOT more than just process game worlds.

You’ll also be able to use any graphics program and you’ll also be able to design your own high-end video games on this machine if you really desired to do so. Anything outside of the realm of PC gaming is definitely doable with this build, it’s beast!

Keep in mind that the CPU, unlike most other Intel CPUs, will not come with a stock CPU cooler. That’s why I’ve also included an aftermarket cooler to go with. You’ll also be able to overclock a good bit with it making the 9700k even that much better.

You also need to know, since it’s an aftermarket cooler, that you will also need some higher quality thermal paste to go with it. The cooler comes with paste and if you want to trust it then go ahead – but I suggest getting some that is higher quality.

If you’ve got VR gaming in mind then this build will definitely be what you’ll need for the far future. VR takes a lot of processing power but that worry can disappear when you have the 9700k included in your arsenal of hardware within. The future of VR is very bright so it makes complete sense to have a build that is more than capable.

A RTX 2070 is the most ideal card for a $1,500 budget range build. It matches up to the processing power of the i7-9700k – a perfect match.

The Gigabyte RTX 2070 video card is an amazing card. It’s the newest tech from Nvidia as far as video cards are concerned and based on overall performance, they live up to the hype.

They’ll be even more exciting once the new RTX technology develops further into upcoming titles throughout 2019-2020 especially.

But with a card like this, you should be planning on playing at higher resolutions or with a 144hz display since this card is completely capable of it.

There is an insane amount of power behind this card and trust me when I say you’re not going to be disappointed by going with this card for your $1,500 build.

Even though pricing for the GPU/RAM is at a weird point right now… We’re finally at a point where it makes sense to include a RTX 2070 video card at this budget point and it feels great being able to include it! Previously we were using a GTX 1070 Ti which is still another amazing card but if we can have a higher level of performance for around the same price point then why not do so?

Although it’s not the perfect price point, a bit off from what was announced, it’s simply what we have to pay right now. There isn’t much going on with this level of performance as far as something even newer on the horizon but I’m sure as time continues to go on, the prices will continue to drop there.

Even with the 2070 added into the mix for the 2019 update we can still fit a solid state drive into the build list but it’s entirely up to you whether or not to add one in.

If you wanted to add in a solid state drive or more so if you have the room in your budget to then I’d definitely recommend doing it. You could install your operating system and your most played games/most used programs on it to really pump up the loading times on whatever is installed on it. I have

Peripherals

As for peripherals and what not that you should consider, you’re going to have different options that are recommended compared to other builds since the power here can handle a higher resolution monitor.

It’s not entirely new, released a few years ago, but if you’re looking for an optimal 1440p gaming monitor then you should definitely check out this Dell monitor review.

– Dell S2716DG

If you’re doing other tasks such as photo/video editing and wanting to have that very perfect level of color then you’ll want to look at other options but when it comes to gaming specifically, this monitor is a steal.

You’ll learn most about it within the review but the only downfall to it is that the color gets a little off when viewing the monitor at an angle. Other than that it is buttery smooth for gameplay and is at the 1440p resolution.

For a keyboard and mouse you’ll want to go with ones that aren’t really cheap if you’re wanting to have an equal amount of performance to go with a higher resolution monitor. I’d suggest checking out these reviews.

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Optical Gaming Mouse Review – Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

logitech g910 keyboard review– Logitech G910 Orion Spark

I’m currently using this keyboard and mouse and they’re easily the best peripherals that I’ve ever used. The G910 keyboard is a bit of a stretch when it comes to the price of other keyboards and if you don’t want to spend that much, don’t.

It has a plethora of features and I can tell that it’s going to last for the long haul, it’ll most likely be the last keyboard I ever use on a main build. Keyboards aren’t nearly as important as the mouse so if you don’t want to be fancy here then keep in mind it’s not essential, just a nice touch.

As for the mouse, you’ll need something that’s going to handle 1440p and the cheaper mice just aren’t going to be able to do that. You can have whatever DPI setting you want with this mouse as well as being able to customize a lot with it so I’d definitely recommend picking it up if  you’re using a higher resolution monitor.

Operating System And More

Now if I were you I’d go ahead and throw Windows 10 on this build for an operating system. If for whatever reason you don’t have the cash flow to grab Windows right away then I’d suggest just grabbing Ubuntu, an open-source Linux based operating system that is really super easy to work with, oh and I forgot to mention that it’s also free to use! 🙂

You can just use Ubuntu until you have the cash for Windows or you might just end up sticking with the Linux based operating system because once you get used to it it’s hard to go back to Windows!

Also, as far as internet connection is concerned, you should take a look at the Panda network adapter below. It keeps a pretty solid wireless network and you simply plug it into any USB port on the PC!

Unless you’re able to go with a direct connection with an ethernet cord – you’re going to need some sort of a wireless adapter to connect to the internet.

All in all if you’re looking at getting a build together that’s going to give you the absolute motherload of experiences in what PC gaming can provide then this is definitely the build for you.

This build is literally going to max everything you throw at it and run it at extremely high frames per second. 🙂 (I WISH I had this build…)

Are you going to be putting this build together for yourself?

406 Responses to Best Gaming PC Build for Under $1500, A Legendary Build

1. alexus says:

hey, how can i set up a a headset to this??

Hey Alexus,

There are different types of headsets that you could use. I personally like using a USB headset like this one because all you have to do is plug it into a USB slot, possibly download some drivers then it’s good to go! Some other headsets might use a 3.5mm jack which is also located at the front of the case.

2. Rico Garcia says:

Hey Colton, I am somewhat new when it comes to the world of PC’s and was wondering if this build would be good for streaming and recording games in high quality.

Hey there Rico,

It’d be an excellent build for just that. Keep in mind that streaming more so depends on your internet connection so try to make sure that you’re on a direct connection via ethernet before attempting the streaming process. This would be the ideal build for maximum quality recordings.

3. Nathan says:

Hey Colton!

If I ever wanted to upgrade to this build from the $1000 build what would need to be upgraded? Thank you and love the helpful guides!

4. Billstang says:

I was wondering if this is a good setup and of everything will work together well past 5yr from now? I was also looking into a good 32″ monitor to go with this build. any help will be greatly appreciated.

For sure it would Billstang, it’s definitely a “future-proof” build. As for a monitor that would best suit it, you’ll want to look at higher resolution monitors. I’d recommend this one from BenQ – if you have the room in your budget then go for the 4K UHD one!

5. Bai Yunxuan says:

Colton, will this case work??

6. Akhil says:

Is this everything I will need for the build. Im getting the parts in a few days

7. Cody says:

Or this one? Will this case also work?

It’d fit all of the hardware but there is no slot for the CD drive. If you know what you’re doing when it comes to finding the correct drivers online for each part then you won’t need a CD drive. But if you don’t know what you’re doing when it comes to that then I’d recommend a different case that has a slot for a CD drive. It streamlines the process of getting the correct drivers installed.

8. Cody says:

Would this work? I’m not sure if I’ll get this one but it is one in looking at

9. Cody says:

What are some other cases that will work for all these parts

10. Jarrod says:

Hey Colton, I am thinking about a new build with the following. But I’m having trouble deciding between 1000w psu or 850w psu. I’m not overclocking so I was leaning towards 850 to save some cash, but not sure.

Corsair 750d
    EVGA gtx 1070 ftw
    Intel Core i7 6700k and CPU cooler
    Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
    Asus DVD Drive
    500gb ssd
    250gb ssd
    1tb hdd
    16gb RAM
    5 140mm fans

Thanks! 🙂

Hey Jarrod,

That looks like a very awesome build! You’d be fine with 850w for power, even with overclocking in mind.

• Justin says:

Hi, The set would be all I need to build the desktop right? I’m new to this and I was also wondering about the motherboard. It has no wifi card right? Would I be able to add one in the mother board? Or would I have to go with an adaptor?

Hey there Justin,

Yes! All of the parts above put together is all that you need. They all come with all of the necessary cables and what not to get it done.

No, there isn’t a wifi card with the motherboard. You could go with the wifi adapter that is listed above or you could go with an internal card like this one from TP-LINK if you’d prefer that.

• Justin says:

I was also wondering where would you recommend shopping for these parts on online. During Black Friday or Cyber Monday. And do I have to be alert when buying in case they sell out? I’m looking to spend like 1100 on these items, or well most of it on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Do you think It’ll be enough? For the under 1500 build?

The parts above all have links over to Amazon and that’s where I recommend going. They have good shipping and I’ve always used Amazon for PC parts, returns are super simple as well just in case something comes DOA.

I mean, some parts may have a slight drop in price. It’s pretty random so I’m not going to be able to know what is going to go on sale when those days come. It might be worth waiting, you’ll save a bit of money.

11. Jimmy Horan says:

Thank you for all the hard work and research you put into this site! I just ordered all the parts for this $1500 build. My cpu cooler is delayed due to shipping. Is it okay to run this pc without it until it arrives in a week? I don’t’ plan on over clocking anytime soon. Thank you again!

12. Eden says:

Can I use the Samsung 850 Evo 250 gigabytes as the solid state drive instead and is it better than the one you provided. Also, im new to this kind of stuff (Im a console player), do u need to do the thermal paste thing the guy does in the video? Thank you.

Hey there Eden,

You’re referring to this exact SSD, right? It’d also work and it might be better when looking at very specific specs but it’s not going to be some crazy, significant difference in comparison.

Thermal paste should come with the cooler!!

13. Todd B. says:

This all looks great and like it would make a beast of a machine, but what if one wanted to go (way) above and beyond? What parts/pieces would a veteran PC builder suggest to an ambitious first-timer for taking this Legendary Build and pushing it over the edge into a God-like Build? My main concern isn’t budget so much as it is compatibility of parts, ease of use/assembly, and what will provide the best staying power (so the PC isn’t obsolete right out of the box with no ability/room for upgrade).

Hey Todd,

Go one level higher on the $2,000 build if you’re wanting to go beyond everything. That build is absolutely future proof for the long haul and it’ll handle all virtual reality, all 4K gaming etc etc in the future for sure!!

• Todd B. says:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Definitely will be bookmarking your site and keeping myself up to date with your future posts. Can’t wait to actually get into this whole PC building (and using, of course) thing — sick of straight-from-the-box computers and/or relying on consoles for my electronic entertainment needs. Also, thank you for the wealth of information and insight you provide here. It’s great to find a site that is accessible for all comers – not just the veterans and pros.

I’m glad that you dig the site man, all of the points you made about it has been my goal since day one so it’s awesome hearing that 🙂

Let me know if I can help any more as you move forward with your build, I’m all ears here!

14. Jesse says:

Hi, I am completely clueless when it comes to building a desktop. Is there anything missing on this list? I have the money to get any extra things I might need, plus I already have all the peripherals I need (I bought a prebuilt computer and have been VERY dissapointed with it) what extra things would you recommend that would help me know I have all the parts I need.

Hi Jesse!

Yes – everything you need (as far as cords and what not as well) is going to come with all of the different parts. The only extra thing you’ll really need is a Philips screwdriver.

Be sure to check out the video I have embedded above before and during the actual process of putting everything together. It’s going to help out ten fold as go to put the build together. It’s step by step!

Let me know if I can help any more as you move forward with your build, all ears here.

15. Caleb says:

Hi there, so I’m not very tech savvy when it comes to building PCs, but I was wondering if I should go with the graphics card recommended in this, or if it doesn’t make much difference. Thanks in advance for any help, I’m at a loss when it comes to this stuff. XD

Caleb,

Go with the one that is better on your wallet. You’re not going to see a super significant difference between the two. The above one is what I recommend simply because EVGA does an awesome job with all of their graphics. Go for the FTW version that is $439.99 right now, click the one above you’ll see the different options!

16. Gabriel says:

Hey its Gabriel again you may remember may from posting a comment on your 800 dollar build which I was planning on building but thankfully my boss gave me a little bonus so I upgraded to this build for my first but I wanted to use the NZXT phantom mid tower was wondering if it fit everything needed also wanted my cpu cooler to be 212 evo since this is my first pc wanted to see if that case would be able to fit everything in this build plus this cpu cooler thanks again colton your the best 🙂

17. cwg says:

Would this cpu cooler work for this build?

18. Pablo says:

Oh I forgot to mention im installing Win7 through a usb 😛

So you’re trying to already install the drivers? I’m just a bit confused as to which step you’re at.

If you are installing Win7 through a USB then you’ll have to boot from the USB. Then you’ll be able to install Windows. After installing Windows, you’ll be able to run the driver software that comes with the different CDs – start with the motherboard CD.

If you are still getting an error when trying to install the driver then in another comment let me know what the error is word for word and I’ll be able to help you further!

19. Pablo says:

I do put the disc in the dvd driver but windows says its not a driver. No, im still on the win7 install page

20. Pablo says:

Help!! Whenever I boot up my computer it says cd or sdd. I click cd and it goes to select a boot device and restart! Help!!

• Pablo says:

It was fixed and windows installation too but now it says cd is missing?

• Pablo says:

I get stuck where it says something about the drivers

Pablo,

So you have Windows fully installed, right? Are you going through the above video for installing the drivers and what not? That video goes through everything that you’re going to need to know!

With that, there are some CDs that came with the different parts such as the motherboard. Start installing the necessary drivers from them and that should fix your problem – if I’m understanding you correctly.