Best Gaming PC Build Under $500 Dollars, This PC Will OWN in 2018!

To find the best gaming PC build under 500 dollars you’re going to have to find the best parts for the lowest price possible and then build it yourself. Building your own computer has many benefits and is actually a lot easier than you think!

Well you just lucked out! 🙂 Today I feel like sharing how to build the best gaming PC build for under 500 dollars and I also want to show you the best place to get your parts for this EPIC build!

Next-gen PC gaming is going to take quite a bit of GPU and CPU power to run games for the next few years…

But… for around the same price as the present day consoles you can build a custom gaming PC that OWNS! (Seriously.)

500 dollar gaming pc build

You’re About To Build a Beast

I mean, we’re talking MAX graphic settings on most games that are coming up. This build is worth every penny because PC gaming also comes with it’s many benefits. . . (Loads of free games, game modding support, an awesome community – etc.)

Trust me, you’ll never regret the day that you become an official PC gamer. 😉

So let’s get down to it.

How would an individual go about building a custom gaming computer for under $500? Seems impossible, right?

WRONG. Sure the initial price of a gaming computer can be spendy, but that’s the whole point of getting this particular build for this price. This build will run games much smoother and much faster than the Xbox One or the PS4!

Also if you don’t have all of the money required to get the full build then that’s fine! For me, I bought each part as I could afford them and then once I had every part with me I watched a video tutorial on how to build a computer while I was actually building my computer. Building the computer while watching the video helped out a TON.

Honestly, the video that best explains the process of building a custom computer is on Newegg TV. In the video, Paul from Newegg shows you step by step how to build a computer from scratch! The video is below so when you go to build your gaming computer you can just bookmark this post and refer to it here if you’d like!

Be sure to follow this video step by step as you build your PC. This is the same video that I viewed before and during my building process!

It’s a great idea to understand exactly what you’re getting into so I suggest watching the series as many times as possible! 😛

Optimal Hardware For A $500 Budget

Last Updated: May 11th, 2018

* = Optional, final price includes optional part. Read Below.

I have found the following parts to be of the best value to build an epic gaming monster for under 500 bucks.

Each link will take you to Amazon’s listing for the certain part. Amazon has the world’s greatest customer service team and you are guaranteed a perfect transaction when doing business with Amazon.

Computer case – Thermaltake Versa H21

Motherboard – ASUS Prime B350M-A/CSM AM4

Video Card – Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB

ProcessorAMD Ryzen 3 2200G

RAM – Crucial 8GB Single DDR4

Power supply – EVGA 500W B1 80+

asus * CD Drive (Optional) – Asus 24x DVD-RW

(Higher price for now due to overpriced RAM/GPU)

A note about the pricing, I know that this is almost $50 over the $500 budget range but these are the most optimal parts that you’d want to have a high quality experience.

The market is pretty crazy these days with RAM being the highest price it has ever been and graphics cards constantly being out of stock/over priced. I’m trying to keep everything updated as I’m able to. I highly recommend saving up that extra bit or downgrading a part or two to compensate for the pricing problem.

Though these days it can be tough to squeeze a custom gaming PC for $500, this build does the trick. Now the prices of the parts do rise and fall so even though at the time of this writing the build is $514 it can still be lower or higher than that number, it just depends on the prices of each part.

With PC gaming evolving as much as it is with it’s hardware, it is currently kind of tough to get a custom gaming PC that will be up to good use for the next few years. Give the PC gaming industry some time and things will become much more cheaper as PC power increases.

Now although this build might be more than your budget you will just need to trust me on this one. This is THE build that you are looking for around $500.

This is going to give you an amazing PC gaming experience and so dishing out an extra bit to create it really shouldn’t phase you. If you were to cheap out on parts at this budget point, basically straying away from these parts, you’d be missing out on power that you simply don’t want to miss out on.

At a $500 budget, the Ryzen 3 2200G is the ideal CPU to go with.

A quick note about the CPU, the stock cooler that the Ryzen 3 2200G comes with is going to be good enough for getting a bit of an overclock in.

This makes it a better choice than the previous Intel processor that was listed because it can be clocked at a higher speed making it even better for gaming and what not. Even if you’re not wanting to mess with overclocking, the above CPU will have a nice upgrade path for down the road as well!

If you use different build tools online to check for compatibility between this CPU and the above motherboard you may find some “incompatibilities.”

I’m going off of this CPU listing that it runs on the AM4 socket so any motherboard using the AM4 socket should be able to run this processor just fine.

These new 2000 series processors from AMD are a step up from the previous generation but for a very similar price point. Higher performance without a cost boost? For sure!

I have changed the computer case to the Thermaltake one simply because it comes with a front USB 3.0 slot and this build can do USB 3.0. It’s ten dollars more expensive than your cheapest computer cases so if you’re really trying to get the best/lowest budget possible for your build then I would suggest grabbing this case instead.

If you want to browse through a bunch of different case choices then Click Here! For the most part, any mid tower case will work fine with this build. Feel free to ask me if you want to know if a specific case will work within the comments area below this post!

Because of current GPU pricing, you’ll have to start out with a 2GB GTX 1050, for now.

If you have the extra bit of room in your budget for it, a 4GB RX 580 would be the most optimal choice for the video card. But since the pricing is a bit off right now, it makes sense to pick up the 1050.

The 2GB GTX 1050 will still provide a high enough quality experience with gaming at 1080p. Games like PUBG, Overwatch or Rainbow Six: Siege will still run at a high frame rate at a tweaked high setting.

You’ll need to upgrade down the road to a better card if you want to have the experience that a $500 should have in the first place. Since graphics cards are at an all-time high for pricing, we’re unable to share having a GTX 1050 Ti or higher so that we can stay within the $500 budget range.

I’d suggest upgrading to a GTX 1060 when the timing is right and when prices make sense again. Nobody really knows when that will be, hopefully it’ll be sooner rather than later.

Luckily, we’re still able to have enough storage for most of the titles you’d plan to play with this build. You’ll have 1TB worth of storage space and this will ensure that you have enough space for the big titles such as Fallout 4 or Divinity: Original Sin 2!

* When it comes to including a CD drive into your build you need to keep in mind that for new builders, it’ll be an easier process using one since you’ll be able to install your drivers with the CDs that come with the different parts as well as your operating system. You can also find the drivers online as well as boot from a USB drive for the OS as long as you know what you’re doing. Can save a bit of cash by learning how to do so.

A keyboard, mouse, and monitor are also needed to experience the beauty of the PC gaming world. If you’re currently looking for a good gaming keyboard then you should check out this awesome keyboard/mouse combination. It’s pretty slick, it looks unique and it has a nice price tag on it.

Keyboard/MouseCM Storm Devastator 3

As I said, a monitor is also needed. I’ve used this 1080p monitor by Asus for many years now and it still works just as if it were brand new. I would definitely recommend checking it out!

71r1E7x7PlL._SL1500_ MonitorAsus VS228H

Optionally if you’re looking for a controller to use for your new gaming PC then I’d suggest taking a look at my picks for the Best PC Gaming Controllers. I personally use the traditional Xbox One controller, but any of the controllers in that list will work just fine with this build and any other build with USB slots which I guess would be basically every PC out there! 😛

Choosing an operating system is entirely up to you. Windows 10 costs about $90 and nobody really wants to dish out that kind of cash for an operating system. You could always throw Linux on your computer for the time being until you save enough money or figure out a way to get Windows 10 for free on a burnt disk.

Linux is a free open source operating system and Steam works pretty well with it but not every game has been moved over to the Linux OS.

I will not show you how to get Windows for free simply because I do not promote piracy or illegal downloads in any way shape or form. But like I said above, it is entirely up to you. Google it if you really want to pirate Windows.

If you do decide to go with Windows, make sure that you grab the 64bit version so that you will be able to use all 8GB of your RAM.

A wireless network adapter is an optional PC part but it allows you to access your internet wirelessly through small antennas that stick out of the back of your PC.

Just plug em’ in, install the drivers and then you’re all set for accessing your internet.

Below are links to a network adapter that is suitable for Windows 10 and to the Windows 10 64bit operating system.

Now I know that I usually recommend going with a broadband PCI express wireless network adapter but right now there are none on the market that I know of that are compatible with Windows 10. It seems like many people are upgrading to Microsoft’s new OS and so it is important to make sure that you have something that is going to be compatible.

Based on the reviews on Amazon for the product, it has a great connection to wifi!

If you’re looking for a build that’s going to handle most games on high graphic settings and if you’re also looking for good frame rates at those settings then this is definitely the build for you.

This build will dominate most games coming out this year and you’re totally in luck for this next-gen experience if you go with this build.

If you have any questions about the build feel free to ask me in the comments area below! 😀

6,403 Responses to Best Gaming PC Build Under $500 Dollars, This PC Will OWN in 2018!

1. Walker bait says:

I have a question will the battery you have listed work well with the GPU selected and the Ryzen 1300x CPU?

2. Dennis Trom says:

Hi, Question, do I buy the computer package from you or do I buy where ever. Also if I buy from you is there any guarantee.

Thanks Dennis

Dennis,

You’re not buying this build from me specifically, you’ll be buying the parts from Amazon using the above links. You can then work with Amazon’s customer service for anything you need, which they work very well if a part were to come DOA and what not they’ll work with you!

3. Dennis Trom says:

Hi again, I ordered the parts I needed but the Video Card MSI
    Gel Force GTX 1050 Ti 4GB was not stock. Do you have another option. Appreciate your time efforts.

Dennis

4. Danny V. says:

I’ve been reading through a bunch of the other comments and stuff so I’m pretty sure that you mentioned this before, but exactly how upgradeable would this build be? This will be my first build so I don’t really know too much about what parts are compatible to just upgrade or if I’d have to replace another part to upgrade something as well. I’m only really wondering because on the pcgamer website, they state that their $500 build has fairly limited upgrade options for the future.

There is plenty of room for upgrading. The processor can be upgraded quite higher and the video card you’ll be able to go up really as much as you want. You just want to avoid bottlenecking issues if your CPU can’t handle the upgraded GPU power and vice versa.

You’ll also want to make sure that you have enough power going to the parts which you will unless you’re going for the extreme, top of the line upgrades down the road.

5. Anonymous says:

Hi, so I bought all the parts for this and installed and connected everything. But whenever I plug it in the only thing I see that’s on is a light on top of the case. Do you know what’s wrong?

Do you have the video cable from your screen to the video card? No fans spinning when you power on?

• Anonymous says:

Yeah no fans were spinning. is the video cable your referring to the one with the blue ends? If so then that only connects directly to the mother board.

Did you try powering it on without having the power button switch plugged in? Or maybe you have the power switch plugged with the wrong prong?

If you’re talking about using a VGA cable then that’s not going to work. You’ll either need to use an adapter or use a HDMI cable. Are you using the above monitor?

• Anonymous says:

So I got it to work now but now the monitor says there’s no signal. What’s the best cable to connect it with and do I connect it to the graphics card or directly to the mother board?

You’ll connect to the video card since it overrides any graphics from the motherboard and you’ll have to use either a DVI cable or a HDMI cable. I’ve used this HDMI cable from Amazon for a long while now, works great! The AmazonBasics one is the one I’m referring to.

• Anonymous says:

I’ve tried all cables and nothing works so I think something from the inside is not wired right or is just broken and I can’t test to see what cause I only have one of everything. What would be the usual problem to why this happens?

Are fans moving when you power on? Have you tried other screens as well?

• Anonymous says:

Yeah fans are spinning the only problem that I know of that won’t work is the no signal on three monitor.

Interesting, so now you know that it’s nothing within the build because if it powers on and fans are moving, stays on then that means it’s working properly. So you’ve tried both DVI and HDMI? Have you tried a different screen, a HDTV maybe?

• Anonymous says:

Yeah I’ve tried connecting it to a HD TV via HDMI cable but it says no signal, I’ll try it again though just to be sure

6. Walkerbait says:

I had a question for you? Which type of Solid State Drive would you recommend i use. I am only looking for something to install the Windows 10 os on and I didnt know what the best option for the 120gb drive would be better in your Opinion

7. zioncobanie says:

So i’ve looked at this build and I was thinking if I should buy an cooler for the cpu.
    And since theres no cooler in the list,
    Is then it really needed that you have an cooler voor the cpu?
    and if yes can you reccomand one?

Hello,

A stock cooler with come with the CPU and it’s more than enough for it. You’ll even be able to have a slight overclock with it so no need for getting an aftermarket cooler unless you planned on doing a heavy overclock to the CPU.

8. Toby Bates says:

Hello! Sad to say I got a faulty motherboard and that was the reason my computer wasn’t working, but happy to say I finally got a new (better) motherboard and fixed it! It seems to be running really well though I’ve only tried it with a few games. It did cost way over initial budget. But thanks anyways!

That happens, it’s once in a blue moon but it happens. Hopefully Amazon was able to get you a replacement/refund? They are usually easy to work with on situations like that.

The market is weird right now, hopefully the prices will go back to a better state sooner rather than later. Glad that you’re digging the build!

9. Joe R says:

I have built the computer everything is running, but the audio.
    The audio works on the monitor, but isn’t working on the desktop front or back inputs. I know for a fact my headset works. What should I do?

10. Ray Mealer says:

Are there any extra wires needed to hook everything up inside the case

11. Ray Mealer says:

Also my Amazon total came up to like 760 are there any links to any cheaper ones so I can get the amount lower any help would be appreciated for the same parts

The market is at a weird place right now, you’ll have a hard time finding lower prices. Nobody knows when prices will go down or if they ever will. You could also check out other marketplaces for sure such as Newegg.

12. Walkerbait says:

I was wondering if this ram(http://amzn.to/2BqIjEX) Will work with this motherboard(http://amzn.to/2iJOkBe).

13. Erik says:

Hey man how does this look? Would it bottleneck? Don’t know much about computers so this would help lots. Thanks!

Nope, you wouldn’t see any bottlenecking issues with the 1200 until you get past the 1070. You’d be good to go!

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build!

14. Jacob Bova says:

So I used this build and when I powered on it started. The problem is it comes up with the “reboot and select proper boot device” message. How do I fix this?

You need to install an operating system to use the PC! Did you follow the above video as a guide? There is a section that goes over how to install your OS.

15. Ray O'Callaghan says:

Do you know if the motherboard is compatible with dual channel RAM?

16. Dave Abbott says:

Colton, i was wanting to use an Intel proccesor. what would be the one to use.

Thanks in advance

17. Omar Garcia says:

Hello, I currently bought all the parts for this build. Great write up!! had a question. What if any wireless adapter card would you recommend? Thanks.

18. Daniel says:

Hi, I previously used your guide (I forget which, maybe the $1000) to build a computer. That computer is stuck in Japan and I will only be able to use it part time for another 6 months so I want to make a low end gaming rig to use when I can’t use that one. I was also thinking of making one that I could use to stream and edit videos in the future, and use my main computer to play the game. So I am looking at your lower end builds so I can play games on lower settings, but want to go with a higher end CPU, something like the Ryzen 5 1600.
    So which build would you recommend and what CPU?

Thanks again.

You’re in the right frame of mind going with a higher up Ryzen CPU, that’s what I’d also recommend depending on your budget point. You could swap out the above one for the 1600 for sure.

Streaming is going to depend mostly on your internet connection and content creation is driven mostly by the CPU.

• Daniel Westlund says:

The cpu cooler is not going in easily and I don’t want to force. I removed the plastic parts from the motherboard and I assumed I can screw the cooler into the holes. The motherboard back play that is for the cooler screws is loose though so have to push it up. Even still there seems to be a too large of gap and I don’t want to force it. I bought this build but got the amd 5 1600. The stock cooler is the screw kind and the motherboard seems to want to do the hook and latch. Any suggestions.

Watch videos on what it looks like installing the Ryzen cooler if you’re having trouble, it doesn’t feel right but any CPU cooler and CPU installation feels weird the first few times you put one together. AMD CPUs in the past as well have felt like you are forcing it but that’s just how it works man.

19. Hayden says:

instead of getting a cd drive could i get another stick of ram?

20. Natalie says:

So I have all of the parts and have everything assembled, however whenever I try to power it on nothing happens. The fans don’t spin and none of the lights come on. Do you know what I cold have done wrong?

• Natalie says:

Nevermind. After looking in the motherboard manual I found out that I had incorrectly set up the front panel cables. My computer now works perfectly.
      I’d also like to thank you for this amazing build! It’s worked amazingly for all the games I’ve played so far. Thank you and please keep us up to date with RAM; I’m wanting to get some more the second prices drop.

Ahh I’m happy to see this! Didn’t see this before replying to your last comment and I figured that was the issue! 🙂

I’ll definitely keep the updates coming, be sure to check back for other posts and feel free to say hi whenever!

Do you have the power switch turned on the power supply? Do you have the CPU power connected properly? Everything is plugged in snug? You have the power switch correctly in on the right prong? Did you try powering it on with something like a screwdriver mentioned in the video?

21. Randy says:

I am looking to upgrade most of my current pc hardware as it’s all pretty old and outdated. I am trying to keep what I can though, I currently have this PSU http://amzn.to/2CVXMte Would that work for this build or would you recommend just going for a new PSU?

You should be good to go using that man, what else are you trying to use from your old hardware?

• Randy says:

I ended up just keeping my PSU and my case, got new everything else. The build is AMAZING!!! Thanks for creating and maintaining such a useful website man! Got it built and working on almost the first try. May upgrade the graphics card and processor at some point, but it has met all my expectations, quite the upgrade from a 2011 macbook.

22. MIcheal says:

I’m confused about the Monitor and stuff. I already picked out a monitor, but when reading comments, you said something close to needing to have a specific monitor for the computer or something. Does this mean that only some monitors will work with some computers and vice versa? If so, I’d like to know if my pre-picked monitors will work with this build. Prices have fluctuated and the price is now a little above $600 without tax. On top of that I was hoping to get Windows 10 but that’s another $100. I’ve already cut a lot things from my overall purchase and I don’t know if I can fit in that much. Of course I still have about a week from buying it so hopefully the prices will go down. I can send you a link to the monitors. I’d also like to know if keyboards and mouses are like the monitors and only work for certain PC’s because I also already have pre-picked those as well. If you could send me your number or email to make talking less complicated, that’d be appreciated. This is my first gaming PC so it’s a big leap to try to build one too. Neither of my parents are experience in this either.

Hey Micheal,

You might be referring to a comment to someone else where they were using a different monitor that didn’t have a certain type of video. If you linked me to whatever monitor you are using/plan to use then I’ll for sure be able to tell you what you need or if it’ll work!

Prices change a lot man, I’ll be making updates to the builds as much as I can. Currently out of town with family but after xmas I should be able to get updates more frequent, will try to do a part update later today or tomorrow.

You can also get a key for Windows and go with booting from USB, you’ll need to follow some tutorials on YouTube to figure out how most of that works. Maybe I’ll create a guide someday but I don’t have one for you personally. Keys are a lot less.

Basically any keyboard/mouse you’d want to use will work. Since they’re all based on USB slots you just need to have the USB slots open which any PC build will have plenty to use.

Let me know if I can help more!

23. Gina says:

I’m looking for a laptop for my young daughters (8 &10) for Christmas. One wants to play minecraft the other sims 4. I would like to stay under 400 each. Can you help?

Sure Gina, though you need to keep in mind that laptops have a significant amount less power than a desktop would.

After research I’d recommend the Acer Aspire E 15 since it has the hardware needed for games such as Minecraft or Sims 4… though the performance isn’t going to be very high, especially with Sims 4. A $400 budget with a laptop you can’t really expect to have good gaming performance.

Odds are they aren’t looking for the highest quality graphics with those games, performance should be ok enough!

24. Edward says:

Hi, I just had a question. This is my first ever build and I finally finished but once I hooked it up to the monitor it didn’t seem to work. At first I relised I just installed the GPU incorrectly but once I hooked it in and started I was still left on a blank screen. Can you think of any possible solutions as to why this happens or might it be just a faulty monitor. It is oldish but it had hardly been used.

What type of cable are you using? Do you have your video cable connected from your graphics card to the monitor or from your motherboard to the monitor?

Let me know! You should have the video cable plugged into your monitor from the video card using the right type of video cable.

• Edward says:

Yes it is. From what I gather what I have seen elsewhere people are suggesting that I most likely have broken it which is entirely possible (I may of had it slip out of my hands once). Is there any chance there are wires I haven’t plugged in? Or should I just get a new one? I can’t really test if it’s broken because I don’t have another video card (at least not one that fits). Thanks for your help so far.

If the fans are moving when powering up then I highly doubt the video card is broken… Do you have power running to the video card or is there not a slot for any PSU cables to go to the video card?

• Edward says:

I’m using a HDMI which is plugged into the video card, and a VGA which is plugged into the motherboard. Today I just bought a new monitor and that doesn’t work either. Thanks for your assistance so far.

25. jay fitch says:

With every thing on this build what would be a good screen to use with it, also is this setup the best for your money or is there better stuff now?

Hey Jay,

There will be an update either today or tomorrow on the pricing/parts but overall, everything is up to date. The monitor listed above is the most ideal monitor to go with this build, be sure to check out the review!

26. Larry Joseph Bird says:

Would a gtx 1060 6 GB work with this build?

27. Dennis trom says:

Built the computer for the $500 one you have listed above and with my grandson and we have it together and everything seems to be all right except when we turn it on the computer and the monitor it says that we need to reboot do reboot or select a a proper boot device or insert a boot media in selected boot device and press a key I don’t know what they’re talking about can you help us out as quickly as possible thanks a lot

Sorry that I’m getting back to you later than expected Dennis, but you need an operating system! Like what I’ve linked in the above post, you need Windows on the PC otherwise it doesn’t have anything to work off of. You can use the above link in the post to grab a Windows CD.

28. Phoenix says:

So I’m new to this whole thing and I have been looking at making a computer for a while and while the whole process of putting it together doesn’t concern me but what concerns me is how do I add windows 10 to it

The above video has a portion where Windows is being installed, Windows 10 is very similar and actually easier. You can buy the CD like what is linked above in the post or you can boot from a USB drive. There are plenty of tutorials out there on getting Windows from a USB drive.

Just go with whatever would be easiest for you!

29. Max says:

K, I know this may seem like a silly question, but I just wanted to make sure all of these parts are compatible with each other, right?

Indeed they are! 🙂

Plenty of people have built this exact same PC and it’s through experience that I know everything is compatible with each other. If you have any other questions just let me know man, I’m all ears here

30. anonymous says:

Hey this is my first ever PC build and i put everything together and when I went to start it up all the fans and lights worked but it wouldn’t display anything on my monitor.. the monitor and cords are good but I cant seem to find out why its not working. Also I am curious as to why every time I come to this website the parts seem to have changed, were the past parts you had not compatible or wrong? Could the compatibility be affecting if it shows up on the screen or not?

So the compatibility had nothing to do with any part changes, the part lists here will always be compatible. I changed the RAM out because the pricing of it was off and there was a better priced RAM in the moment, RAM pricing is crazy right now it’s hard to find a good deal so I’m trying to stay on top of it.

Are you using a video cable from the video card to the monitor? HDMI? If lights/fans turn on then it’s working fine, just need to make sure you’re using the right video type now. You can’t use the video cable from the motherboard to the monitor.

31. Brandy says:

Hi, I got this build for my 13 year old son for Christmas, we just put the computer together and no power is going to the computer. When we did the out of box build, we couldn’t figure out where the “two prongs” were, so we went into the in box build, now that we are done no power is going in. Should I return the power supply? Is it defective? Could something else be wrong?

• Brandy says:

I actually got the power working! But now nothing comes up on the monitor, it says no signal. What could be wrong, we have connected all that should be connected. Thanks!

Are you using the video cable from the video card to the monitor or the motherboard to the monitor? Make sure it’s from the video card since it overrides any other source of video.

Which “two prongs” are you talking about? For the power switch? They are small and usually at the bottom of the motherboard.

Are you using the above video as a guide? Following step by step as you do your build? Let me know! Every prong needs to be connected for the build to power up and work!

• Brandy says:

We actually got it all working! Yay! Quick question, is this able to use wireless WiFi internet? Or does it need the Ethernet cable to get WiFi?

Hey hey, awesome! What did you have to do to get it going?

There is a link above for a USB wireless network adapter or there are internal options you could go with, otherwise you’ll have to connect via ethernet with a direct connection for internet. Whichever you prefer.

If you want an internal way of connecting wirelessly to the internet then I’d suggest using this adapter from TP-Link – a bit more pricey than the USB option but you’ll have it inside rather than out and if the router is a bit away from the PC then it’ll have a better connection!

32. Logan Ford says:

Would the g4560 be a step down from the ryzen? Ive seen a few videos where the pentium was competing with the ryzen and matching it fairly well for the price difference. Should i get the 4560 to save a few bucks, thanks.

I mean it’s still an entry level dual-core processor. I think that for the far future Ryzen would be the better choice. Though yes, the G4560 isn’t an entirely bad choice for the CPU. Up to you.

33. Bowen Heaster says:

thanks for the list

34. Evan says:

So I’ve been told it’s fairly easy to put the parts together, unfortunately I’m not very confident in my own abilities. I’ve found a pre-built pc for a similar price and the reviews are great.
    Sorry the link is so lengthy. Anyway, how does this pre-built pc compare to the parts in this list?

It’s pretty underpowered for what you’re paying, honestly… RX 560 doesn’t come close to a 1050 Ti in performance and it’s using a processor from 2012.

35. Gugli Singh says:

Brother, i want to make a good gaming PC in 30000 Rupees almost $500 and the price of all the parts is almost double in India So, can i go for G4560 with GTX 1050 2GB Ti

36. Aaron says:

Hey Colton!

So, I had a couple questions about this build. 1) I bought an 8gb stick of the previous RAM. I now want to upgrade and buy a second, but I can’t find that one. Is it safe to buy the current one and run them together on the same channel? and 2) I bought the Intel i3-6100 when that was on the list, and was wondering if the change to the AMD 1200 was worth it since I already have the intel cpu.

Thanks for taking the time to read my comment, and this build is amazing! Works with just about any game I can find while still keeping relatively cool.

Hey Aaron, I’m glad that you’re enjoying the build 🙂

It’s always best to go with the same exact RAM that you have. You could also use another stick if it’s the same speed and capacity if need be.

No need to go with the 1200, it’s the cheaper option for today’s standards. If you were to upgrade your CPU down the road you’d be sticking with Intel that way you wouldn’t have to switch out your motherboard.

37. Dodd says:

Hey Colton –
    been following this build for a while and i’m getting closer to ordering the parts. One question is I have a amd r9 380 2gb card at my disposal would that be compatible with the build if I wanted to say upgrade to a different video card later on in the year
    cheers

38. Adam bastarache says:

How will this do with games like PUBG, gta and rainbow six seige

It’ll do pretty well overall Adam, I wouldn’t expect to be able to max them all out and run them at 60 FPS.

With GTA and Siege, you should be able to do fine with a tweaked high/ultra setting do get a smooth frame rate. PUBG is a whole different, unoptimized beast of a game… You’ll be able to run it well at a tweaked med setting for sure. Maybe a few settings on high.

39. Tev says:

Would I be ok installing a 16GB RAM stick instead of the 8? And, would I need to upgrade the other hardware as well if I chose to go with 16GB RAM?

Thanks for all of your help!

If you need the extra RAM then go for it, no other changes would be needed to compensate!

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build, all ears here!

40. steve says:

this is my first gaming build that I am doing for 13 yr old son and he is going to help me. can we put the Ryzen 5 1600 in the plsve for the Ryzen 3 1200 and everything work fine? keep everything else the same build, although I would like to add another stick of RAM in it for him. is it passiable? he is excited…… thanks for your help St

41. Max says:

will a baraccuda 2tb still be compatable?

42. totally anonymous says:

would it work with Thermaltake Versa C22 RGB ATX Gaming Mid Tower Black Computer Case CA-1G9-00M1WN-00

43. Ryan says:

The link for the motherboard brings up the micro ATX. Is that the one you’re suggesting rather than the standard ATX? And does it have USB 3.0 or just 2.0?

Also I can’t currently find the Zotac card at a reasonable price, so I’m looking at the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB instead. Any comments or concerns about compatibility with that one instead of the Zotac?

Yup, that’s the board that I’d recommend using with this build today. It has a USB 3.0 header.

If you can find a 1050 Ti for a decent price then I’d definitely recommend using it, but the pricing has been insane lately. I am know sharing using a 2GB GTX 1050 linked above which is still a good card for now, could upgrade to something better down the road. Just wanted to stay somewhat within this price range.

44. Steven Moore says:

Hey, I just purchased the whole set up yesterday and noticed that you updated the Graphics card… was the only reason you suggested this based on price point? The Zotac you previously mentioned is not available for another couple of weeks so I was thinking about getting the new card you suggested but if it’s not as good I can wait. Thanks

45. Eric says:

Hi, so since I have to go with a gtx 1050 and not the ti version, will it still run games st 60fps? I dont csre too much about gtraphics, i prefer stable franerate. Also, how future ptoof is this video card?

It depends on which games you’re trying to play. I wouldn’t expect PUBG to run at 60 FPS at higher settings. But I’d expect League of Legends to run flawlessly maxed out.

What do you plan on playing?

• Eric says:

I plan on playing newer games, especially Dragon ball fighterz. Also, would this video card work?

A 1050 Ti would work great and I used to share that with this build, it’s just that with current prices of video cards and not being able to find them in stock I had to switch it up to the 2GB 1050.

You’d be good to go using that card, granted that you’re able to find one in stock.

46. Mekhi says:

I plan on playing games like league of legends how well will this build run it

For sure, you’d be able to max it out with high frame rates. These specs far surpass what is recommended.

Let me know what you decide to do and if I can help more!

• Mekhi says:

Ive decided to go with this build. This will be my first time putting together a computer with help. How easy will it be for me to upgrade parts.

47. Justin says:

First I was going to build this but I just used a 1050 ti as an egpu with my laptop and it works well 🙂

48. Leo says:

Hi!
    So I’ve recently looked into good gaming PC’s, but wasn’t aware that you could make one your own. Thank you for taking the time to write this article thing with the different parts of the computer and links to a video that shows you how.

I do have one or two questions, are there any games that maybe the computer couldn’t handle? Like some games the computer itself couldn’t support (I’m not talking about the operating system). And for the CD Drive, could you put the computer together without the drive, then maybe later if you decide that you would like to incorporate it, put it in? Would you need to take the whole thing apart? Or just a few things?

Hey there Leo,

No problem! I’ve been doing builds for a long while now, a build is definitely the way to go when you’re wanting to have specific parts and have it the way you want it to be.

There used to be a better video card listed but due to the recent pricing of hardware – we now have to go down a bit in performance to stay within this budget range. With that said, it’s still going to perform well at 1080p! I just wouldn’t expect to be able to max out higher demanding titles like PUBG with 60+ FPS. Think more along the lines of a tweaked med/high setting to have a smooth enough frame rate to compete.

If you don’t go with a CD drive right away then keep in mind that you’ll need to boot Windows from a USB drive and also find the right drivers for your hardware online. If you know what you’re doing that way then you’d be good to go. Otherwise having a CD drive at the start would streamline the process of getting Windows installed as well as the required drivers since different parts will come with a CD to do so.

Adding one in later on wouldn’t require taking the build apart, you’d just need to insert it into the drive slot.

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build, I’m all ears here!

49. Eric says:

Will I be able to run most games at 1080p at 60fps? I don’t really care too much about the graphics, as long as frame rate is stable.

Also, why are 1050ti’s cheaper and actually in stock 9n other sites like newegg? Am I missing something?

Thx.

For the most part, yes. Some of the higher demanding titles you’ll need to tweak the graphics settings to achieve 60 FPS.

If you find one in stock and at a decent price elsewhere then you lucked out, they’re constantly going in and out of stock. Usually Amazon has great prices as well, but with the recent changes going on with the market it seems that most retailers aren’t able to keep them in stock/at a good price point.

I wrote a bit about this recently in this post – check it out if you’d like!

50. Saihaan says:

Hey! Just a quick random question: Would this game be able to online games like RUST, or FortNite? Thanks!

Yup! It’d be ideal to run titles like those at a tweaked high/med setting at 1080p. Let me know if I can help as you’re moving forward with your build!