Best Gaming PC Build Under $500 Dollars, This PC Will OWN in 2018!

To find the best gaming PC build under 500 dollars you’re going to have to find the best parts for the lowest price possible and then build it yourself. Building your own computer has many benefits and is actually a lot easier than you think!

Well you just lucked out! 🙂 Today I feel like sharing how to build the best gaming PC build for under 500 dollars and I also want to show you the best place to get your parts for this EPIC build!

Next-gen PC gaming is going to take quite a bit of GPU and CPU power to run games for the next few years…

But… for around the same price as the present day consoles you can build a custom gaming PC that OWNS! (Seriously.)

500 dollar gaming pc build

You’re About To Build a Beast

I mean, we’re talking MAX graphic settings on most games that are coming up. This build is worth every penny because PC gaming also comes with it’s many benefits. . . (Loads of free games, game modding support, an awesome community – etc.)

Trust me, you’ll never regret the day that you become an official PC gamer. 😉

So let’s get down to it.

How would an individual go about building a custom gaming computer for under $500? Seems impossible, right?

WRONG. Sure the initial price of a gaming computer can be spendy, but that’s the whole point of getting this particular build for this price. This build will run games much smoother and much faster than the Xbox One or the PS4!

Also if you don’t have all of the money required to get the full build then that’s fine! For me, I bought each part as I could afford them and then once I had every part with me I watched a video tutorial on how to build a computer while I was actually building my computer. Building the computer while watching the video helped out a TON.

Honestly, the video that best explains the process of building a custom computer is on Newegg TV. In the video, Paul from Newegg shows you step by step how to build a computer from scratch! The video is below so when you go to build your gaming computer you can just bookmark this post and refer to it here if you’d like!

Be sure to follow this video step by step as you build your PC. This is the same video that I viewed before and during my building process!

It’s a great idea to understand exactly what you’re getting into so I suggest watching the series as many times as possible! 😛

Optimal Hardware For A $500 Budget

Last Updated: April 23rd, 2018

* = Optional, final price includes optional part. Read Below.

I have found the following parts to be of the best value to build an epic gaming monster for under 500 bucks.

Each link will take you to Amazon’s listing for the certain part. Amazon has the world’s greatest customer service team and you are guaranteed a perfect transaction when doing business with Amazon.

Computer case – Thermaltake Versa H21

Motherboard – MSI ProSeries B350M PRO-VDH

Video CardEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB SC Gaming

Processor – AMD Ryzen 3 1200

RAM – Crucial 8GB Single DDR4

Power supply – EVGA 500W B1 80+

asus * CD Drive (Optional) – Asus 24x DVD-RW

(Higher price for now due to overpriced RAM/GPU)

A note about the pricing, I know that this is almost $100 over the $500 budget range but these are the most optimal parts that you’d want to have a high quality experience.

The market is pretty crazy these days with RAM being the highest price it has ever been and graphics cards constantly being out of stock/over priced. I’m trying to keep everything updated as I’m able to. I highly recommend saving up that extra bit or downgrading a part or two to compensate for the pricing problem.

Though these days it can be tough to squeeze a custom gaming PC for $500, this build does the trick. Now the prices of the parts do rise and fall so even though at the time of this writing the build is $514 it can still be lower or higher than that number, it just depends on the prices of each part.

With PC gaming evolving as much as it is with it’s hardware, it is currently kind of tough to get a custom gaming PC that will be up to good use for the next few years. Give the PC gaming industry some time and things will become much more cheaper as PC power increases.

Now although this build might be more than your budget you will just need to trust me on this one. This is THE build that you are looking for around $500.

This is going to give you an amazing PC gaming experience and so dishing out an extra bit to create it really shouldn’t phase you. If you were to cheap out on parts at this budget point, basically straying away from these parts, you’d be missing out on power that you simply don’t want to miss out on.

500 dollar ryzen pc build

At a $500 budget, the Ryzen 3 1200 is the ideal CPU to go with.

A quick note about the CPU, the stock cooler that the Ryzen 3 1200 comes with is going to be good enough for getting a bit of an overclock in.

This makes it a better choice than the previous Intel processor that was listed because it can be clocked at a higher speed making it even better for gaming and what not. Even if you’re not wanting to mess with overclocking, the above CPU will have a nice upgrade path for down the road as well!

I have changed the computer case to the Thermaltake one simply because it comes with a front USB 3.0 slot and this build can do USB 3.0. It’s ten dollars more expensive than your cheapest computer cases so if you’re really trying to get the best/lowest budget possible for your build then I would suggest grabbing this case instead.

If you want to browse through a bunch of different case choices then Click Here! For the most part, any mid tower case will work fine with this build. Feel free to ask me if you want to know if a specific case will work within the comments area below this post!

Because of current GPU pricing, you’ll have to start out with a 2GB GTX 1050, for now.

If you have the extra bit of room in your budget for it, a 4GB RX 580 would be the most optimal choice for the video card. But since the pricing is a bit off right now, it makes sense to pick up the 1050.

The 2GB GTX 1050 will still provide a high enough quality experience with gaming at 1080p. Games like PUBG, Overwatch or Rainbow Six: Siege will still run at a high frame rate at a tweaked high setting.

You’ll need to upgrade down the road to a better card if you want to have the experience that a $500 should have in the first place. Since graphics cards are at an all-time high for pricing, we’re unable to share having a GTX 1050 Ti or higher so that we can stay within the $500 budget range.

I’d suggest upgrading to a GTX 1060 when the timing is right and when prices make sense again. Nobody really knows when that will be, hopefully it’ll be sooner rather than later.

Luckily, we’re still able to have enough storage for most of the titles you’d plan to play with this build. You’ll have 1TB worth of storage space and this will ensure that you have enough space for the big titles such as Fallout 4 or Divinity: Original Sin 2!

* When it comes to including a CD drive into your build you need to keep in mind that for new builders, it’ll be an easier process using one since you’ll be able to install your drivers with the CDs that come with the different parts as well as your operating system. You can also find the drivers online as well as boot from a USB drive for the OS as long as you know what you’re doing. Can save a bit of cash by learning how to do so.

A keyboard, mouse, and monitor are also needed to experience the beauty of the PC gaming world. If you’re currently looking for a good gaming keyboard then you should check out this awesome keyboard/mouse combination. It’s pretty slick, it looks unique and it has a nice price tag on it.

Keyboard/MouseCM Storm Devastator 3

As I said, a monitor is also needed. I’ve used this 1080p monitor by Asus for many years now and it still works just as if it were brand new. I would definitely recommend checking it out!

71r1E7x7PlL._SL1500_ MonitorAsus VS228H

Optionally if you’re looking for a controller to use for your new gaming PC then I’d suggest taking a look at my picks for the Best PC Gaming Controllers. I personally use the traditional Xbox One controller, but any of the controllers in that list will work just fine with this build and any other build with USB slots which I guess would be basically every PC out there! 😛

Choosing an operating system is entirely up to you. Windows 10 costs about $90 and nobody really wants to dish out that kind of cash for an operating system. You could always throw Linux on your computer for the time being until you save enough money or figure out a way to get Windows 10 for free on a burnt disk.

Linux is a free open source operating system and Steam works pretty well with it but not every game has been moved over to the Linux OS.

I will not show you how to get Windows for free simply because I do not promote piracy or illegal downloads in any way shape or form. But like I said above, it is entirely up to you. Google it if you really want to pirate Windows.

If you do decide to go with Windows, make sure that you grab the 64bit version so that you will be able to use all 8GB of your RAM.

A wireless network adapter is an optional PC part but it allows you to access your internet wirelessly through small antennas that stick out of the back of your PC.

Just plug em’ in, install the drivers and then you’re all set for accessing your internet.

Below are links to a network adapter that is suitable for Windows 10 and to the Windows 10 64bit operating system.

Now I know that I usually recommend going with a broadband PCI express wireless network adapter but right now there are none on the market that I know of that are compatible with Windows 10. It seems like many people are upgrading to Microsoft’s new OS and so it is important to make sure that you have something that is going to be compatible.

Based on the reviews on Amazon for the product, it has a great connection to wifi!

If you’re looking for a build that’s going to handle most games on high graphic settings and if you’re also looking for good frame rates at those settings then this is definitely the build for you.

This build will dominate most games coming out this year and you’re totally in luck for this next-gen experience if you go with this build.

If you have any questions about the build feel free to ask me in the comments area below! 😀

6,373 Responses to Best Gaming PC Build Under $500 Dollars, This PC Will OWN in 2018!

1. Eric says:

Nothing works. I’ve checked the connections, tried the screwdriver power on, nothing works. And since it’s my first build I have no idea what to do. Sucks. And I know it’s something I did.

It’s usually a small mistake, with my first build it took hours for me to see that I didn’t have the processor plugged in as well as making sure the power supply switch was on.

Are you using the above video as a step-by-step guide?

• Eric says:

Turns out the processor was dead on arrival. Got my refund and have a new one now. One thing I have to point out though, the motherboard is really finicky about ram. It prefers two at a time rather than just one stick.

How do you mean that it prefers two sticks? Was it just that you needed to use a different slot? Motherboard’s manuals will show which slot will work best for what you’re using.

Everything up and running now though, right?

2. ameyai says:

Does it not need cooling?

3. ameyai says:

What would you recommend for speakers, and does the case have ports on the back for the network adapter?

Depends on your budget, I’m currently using the Z323 speakers from Logitech – I’ve been using them for over a year and they have excellent sound quality. Otherwise you could look for some cheaper alternatives or more expensive if you’re wanting to go all in with your speakers?

Also yes, there are USB ports for the above network adapter as well as a port for an ethernet cable in the back of the case from the motherboard. You can also go with an internal network adapter if you wanted to, there’s room for it.

Let me know what you decide to go with!

4. alex says:

Hey is this ram compatible with this pc build?
    A-Tech Hynix 32GB Kit 8x 4GB PC3-10600 1.5V For HP ProLiant BL465C G7 SL210T G8 DL385 G7 SL270S G8 DL170E G6 SL4540 G8 BL2X220C G6 BL2X220C G7 BL420C G8 BL460C G8 BL490C G7 BL620C G7 Memory RAM

5. Xavier Gallinares says:

Im looking to stream with this pc by using my ps4 and ps4 remote play. Is this pc Strong enough to stream with?

6. xavier gallinares says:

any other monitor options? under 100$ please

7. Dima says:

Does this come with a wifi card? if not what can I do or buy in order to connect to have the wifi. Also instead of that video card I ordered this one:EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 GAMING, 2GB GDDR5, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 02G-P4-6150-KR.
    Would it work? Thanks

Hey there Dima,

Towards the end of the post I mention using a USB wireless network adapter and have linked it there as well. That would allow you to connect to wifi. Otherwise you could also go with an internal solution such as using this adapter from TP-Link if you’d rather do that? I’d recommend using it if you plan to be pretty far away from your router.

Also, are you referring to this exact card then? If so then yes, it would work out just fine. Let me know what you decide to do!

8. Tyler M says:

I’m looking for a cheaper graphics card and this will be my first build but will the GIGABYTE GeForce GT 1030 GV-N1030D5-2GL Low Profile 2G Computer Graphics Card work?

Hey Tyler,

You’re referring to this exact card then, right? If so then yes, it’d be compatible. But what are you planning on playing with that card?

I wouldn’t expect high gaming performance out of it as it’s a much lower end card. Think more along the realm of entry-level 720p gaming.

9. Adam bastarache says:

Hi, I finished building my pc and my monitor is saying no signal, all the fans and stuff are working, I don’t know what’s wrong

So after powering up all of the fans are constantly spinning? Did your motherboard or case come with a motherboard speaker?

Do you have your video card plugged into from your video card or your motherboard to your display? What kind of cable are you using and what type of display are you using?

10. Dima says:

Is there a wifi card?

Yes, at the bottom of the post I mentioned using a USB wireless network adapter, link it there as well. Also replied to your other comment with a link to an alternative to look at.

11. xavier gallinares says:

is there any other monitor (doesnt have to be 1080p) that is suitable for this build?

I mean, the one listed above would be the ideal one to go with for this build if you’re looking to spend around ~$100 while keeping the quality there.

Otherwise this monitor from Acer wouldn’t be a bad choice either. It’s a bit cheaper but doesn’t have HDMI. You’d have to use DVI which is very similar to HDMI anyway. I’ve used DVI for a long time and love it.

12. Blake S says:

Is it possible to add 128GB of SSD to this config or the $400 build?

13. Xavier Gallinares says:

is this build good enough to run game s like rust and fortnite?

Those games have two different levels of optimization for sure. Fortnite will run very well whereas Rust has a bit lower level of optimization, though I’d still expect to be able to run it at a tweaked high/med setting.

14. Xavier Gallinares says:

Would this monitor work? http://amzn.to/2CdIfsA

15. ameyai says:

I’m trying to install the heat sink and there is no lever, but instead there’s screws on the bottom. How do I install this?

16. Manny Fermin says:

Hey I dont know much about computers but i got this case from amazon http://amzn.to/2HFkM2X . Wanted to know what parts should i buy for its to fully run ? Thanks you

17. Jodi says:

Would it still work if I switched it out for this case?

Also what would you recommend if I wanted to spend a little more on the processor? (Around $200)

Thanks for making this post! I had no idea where to start.

Hey Jodi,

The specs seem to match up with that case, it should work just fine! As for a better CPU, it sounds like the Ryzen 5 1600 would be the ideal one to go with. A bit under $200 and entirely worth getting.

No problem for the post, let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with the build!

18. CC says:

I’m running a Seagate 2 TB SSHD now. It would save some time and irritation if I could just swap that drive into a new machine. Any reason I couldn’t do that with your suggested hardware?

You should be able to, is Windows 10 installed on it? Windows 10 is pretty good at transfers like that.

I’ve heard both ways when it comes to doing this, I’ve done it myself without any issues though! Let us know if you try it.

19. JEff says:

Thanks for this info! I wouldn’t have done this PC build if it weren’t for you!\

20. Cameron Tadeo says:

So I want to be able to run PUBG at high fram rates, im not too worried about graphics more along the lines of performance. Im planning on just playing Pub and LoL so would I be able lessen any other costs besides the RAM? Considering that I’m already planning on changing the single stick with 2x4GB sticks.

At this rate, Cameron, not really. With how pricing currently is you don’t have much room to move around. If you want solid performance with a game like PUBG then you’re just going to have to roll with the punches, it’s not a very well optimized game. Though with these specs in mind, you’ll be able to run it more than well enough to play smoothly at a tweaked med/high setting!

21. Giulliano says:

Can I stream on twitch with this? My wife and I play a lot of overwatch and were looking for a pc that’s not too high in price but is able to play overwatch as well as stream it at high settings.

Streaming more so comes down to your internet connection speed as far as quality goes. But for performance while streaming… I’d recommend spending a bit more on a build or checking out some pre-built PCs that are on the market.

Right now doing a build doesn’t quite add up to what you’re spending and you’d need a little bit more power to get a good quality, smooth stream going. Let me know if you find a pre-built PC from what I linked and I can help you out more!

• powerwiz says:

personally, I think all that this build need is a higher core count CPU with a slightly higher core clock would get you great results for streaming overwatch especially.

22. Giulliano says:

Thank you Colton, and in terms of just gameplay and local recordings with OBS. Would this be able to handle Overwatch? And then other similar titles?

Yes, but while recording it’ll be better to lower some of the graphical settings. If you mess around with it a bit you should be able to find a sweet spot.

23. powerwiz says:

My current system is running extremely hot and I fear that it is extremely bad for the gpu’s. I have 2 1080 ti’s running right next to each other and the bottom one is running around ninety degrees C so can you recommend a liquid cooling loop for that and my i7 8700k overclocked to 4.2 base

24. Nick B says:

AMD Ryzen 3 1300X work for the build?

25. Hamilton says:

Is there a website where I can get ALL the above listed items in one shop stop? I’d like to save on shipping time frames and expenses if possible. Or is it better the way you are suggesting? Thanks in advance!

You could also take a look at pre-built gaming PCs if you wanted to, then it all comes in one package and the PC would be ready to go right away. Otherwise yes, I suggest getting this build piece by piece. There isn’t any other way, it’s nice to find all parts from Amazon warehouses so that it’s all shipped at a similar time but odds are there might be a part or two that’ll come another day!

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build!

26. rich says:

will a corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB work with this?

27. Laure Fiotte says:

Hi! This is a really cost effective build. Thanks!

I have two questions,

First, if I’d like to edit & record gaming videos for YouTube, would this P.C. be a good budget friendly option to do so?

Second, can it run Sims 3 smoothly?

I’m a newbie with P.C. building, so I’m still figuring things out. 👍🏾

Hey Laure!

Yes, you would be able to record and edit videos. It may take a little while for rendering and while recording you may want to turn down some graphics options to provide a smoother experience while recording but it’ll get it done!

These specs far surpass what is recommended to run Sims 3, you’d be able to run it very smoothly at max settings.

You’re at a good place for being new to all of it, I’m always here to help out as you’re moving forward with your build 🙂 let me know!

28. conner says:

this my first build is this a good computer for school and gaming or just gaming cause that is a computer i need

Yes and yes, it’s ideal for gaming at 1080p. However, I wouldn’t expect to be able to run every new AAA title coming out at max settings and 60 FPS all the time. You’ll need to do some adjusting for 60 FPS.

Always here for whatever else, let me know if I can help more!

29. Giulliano says:

Would you recommend doing this build, or buying the archangel for a first PC? How do they compare?

30. Daniel says:

Is the ddr4 ram come in twos or you have to buy them seprately

I’m not quite sure what you mean by the RAM “coming in twos”, the link above for the RAM listed provides a single 8GB DDR4 stick which is what I currently recommend.

Let me know if I’ve got you confused or if I can help you further man!

31. Dan says:

Hey will this graphics card work with the build?

GAMING GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5 DirectX 12 Graphics Card GeForce GTX 1050 TI GAMING X 4G

32. Daniel says:

Is a sceptruem 24 inch 1080p led monitor is enougth to this build??

33. Daniel says:

Hey i have no idea what a no les conector or how to use it can you give me a explanation what it is and how to use it?

34. Daniel says:

No I said that what is a Molex connector and how to use it

Ahh you had a typo then that’s why I was confused! The molex connector is used with different things. Some case fans use them as well as some drives such as the CD drive.

35. joe says:

is this a better case than the versa h21,( Thermaltake Versa H250 with Corsair CX450m ) and will it work with your current setup

36. Walkerbait says:

So I have built your PC that you had paried with the ryzen 3 1200 and gtx 1050ti 4gb with msi b350m motherboard and I am very happy with it… Later I wanted to see if I could get extra preformance out of it so I over clocked my CPU and I had it running at 3.7 at base voltage. So I decided to try and pump up the frequency to see where the cut off point was so I set it to 3.9 and my pc wouldn’t even load into bios…lucily I fixed it and got it working and figured I would get my previous overclock back right….well I tried to set it to 3.7 and it would crash and not even go into bios… So I fixed it and got it working.. the PC is working and I have game boost enabled giving it a speed of3.3 GHz and I just wanted to ask if you knew why this was happening.

It’s only going to 3.3 GHz while using the game boost? Which program are you using for that? That’s odd… I’ve never heard of the speed lowering from using something like that.

Have you noticed a nice enough boost in performance with game boost to justify using it?

• Walkerbait says:

I actually fixed the problem for what ever reason it was set back to 1.19 volts instead of 1.21v now its fixed and im running it back at 3.8ghz

37. Enki says:

Just want to make sure that this RAM is good to go with this build and a better or equal stick.

G.SKILL Aegis 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-3000C16S-8GISB

38. David says:

hey, i was just wondering if i would be able to play Rust, Watchdogs 2, and Just Cause 3 on this build?

I wouldn’t expect to be able to run higher demanding titles like those on the higher settings with a build like this but with a few tweaks to the graphics settings you should be able to get a smooth frame rate overall.

39. David says:

And sorry to ask but the power supply link is not taking me to the right page, it just says that im at an unknown page and then gives the one of the dogs of amazon. so would EVGA 500 B1, 80+ BRONZE 500W Power Supply work?

Don’t be sorry David! I’m glad you pointed that out, I’ve changed the link to the PSU I think that you referred to. Here is a link to it if need be. Again, thanks for the heads up! I’m not sure why it got taken down… maybe it was a problem of running out of stock.