Gaming PC Build For $900, Top Tier Custom Build 2018

Putting together a gaming PC build for $900 would put you in a great position to experience everything PC gaming has to offer for 2018 and beyond.

Gaming PC Build For $900

Prepare Yourself For Epicness

If you’re looking to run games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, Dying Light, Grand Theft Auto V, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and/or The Division on max graphic settings and high resolution while maintaining a high frame rate then this is the build for you.

This PC gives you the most bang for your buck and your return of computer power on your investment is well spent once you experience this computer for yourself. (FOR REAL. THIS BUILD IS BEAST.)

This build will stand the test of time, and if you’re at all interested in diving into virtual reality down the road then you can know that this build will be able to give you that experience full-scale.

If you’ve never built your own computer then have no fear, building a computer is actually a lot easier than what you’d think it would be. Sure it sounds like a pretty intimidating task, but through personal experience I can tell you that I know you can do it because when I went to build my first computer I had no experience at all… I was only interested in getting myself into the PC gaming arena while still staying within my budget range!

When I built my first computer I followed a video tutorial while I built my computer at the same time. Now for the first time around it took me a bit of time to learn how each part worked together but the time spent was time well spent because the process of building a computer stays with you after you learn it much like anything else in life, I’ve been able to build many more computers for friends and family and can now put a computer together in about an hours time! 😀

In my opinion, the #1 video tutorial for building a computer from scratch is done by Newegg. I have embed the video below from YouTube so feel free to bookmark this post to watch the video while you’re putting your PC gaming build together!

Once you get all of your parts be sure to review the video above that way you can be sure that you will be able to put your computer together the way it was meant to be put together.

With that, let’s get to the hardware.

Optimal Parts On A $900 Budget

Last Updated: November 24th, 2017

caseCase – Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Galaxy-02

Motherboard – ASUS Prime B350-Plus

Processor – AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Video CardMSI GTX 1060 6GB OC

RAM – Corsair 8GB Single DDR4

Solid State Drive – PNY CS1311 120GB SSD

Power Supply – EVGA 600W B1 80+

cdCD Drive – Asus 24x DVD-RW

This build is definitely going to ensure that you get the most power for the amount of money you throw down on your build.

Right now these parts together are a good amount less than $900, so if you’re wanting to spend a bit more then I’d also suggest adding a solid state drive since it’ll make everything run a lot faster in comparison to a traditional hard drive. I had a solid state drive listed in the last update but since the market has moved around a bit since then I had to remove it to stay within the $900 budget.

At least now the price is a decent bit below $900 though, right? With that extra bit I’d suggest either saving it for peripherals or simply getting a better CPU cooler. Up to you!

As far as the computer case goes, the Rosewill case that I have listed above is going to be 100% compatible with this build and is going to work perfectly when you go to build this PC.

The Ryzen 5 1600, especially after overclocking, performs extremely well both in gaming and rendering.

This case also has USB 3.0 capabilities and if you’re looking to go cheaper on your case then just know that you won’t be able to utilize the USB 3.0 technology that is available with the motherboard I have listed above.

If you’d like to browse more computer cases to either better fit your style and/or your taste then you can do so by Clicking Here!

The Ryzen 1600 quad-core processor is great not only for this current generation of PC gaming but for a few years down the road as well.

It is able to be overclocked hence why I’ve decided to go with it for this build. It actually does come with a stock cooler and it’s also a good enough cooler to where you’ll be able to get a decent overclock right out of the gate. Be sure to check out videos on YouTube to make sure you know what you’re doing when you start using it!

You’ll also be able to execute some of the most demanding processing actions that a computer is capable of such as creating high quality videos with effects, design video games, 3D modeling and much more. That’s what the Ryzen line on processors was made for – for heavy rendering processes. It’s also great for gaming!

A 6GB GTX 1060 is capable of 1440p, though 1080p is going to be used for the highest demanding games.

The GTX 1060 will most likely put you in awe once you see what kind of power that it is capable of as far as displaying textures and models for games go.

This card is an amazing card for gaming and you won’t have to upgrade it for at least a few more years so that way you can feel comfortable knowing that you’ll have a top tier system with top tier hardware to keep up with today and tomorrow’s tech demands. 1440p resolution is definitely doable with this card. 😀

With that though, you may want to start with 1080p both for cash flow reasons and because 1080p is still a really good resolution to game on. The 1060 is basically overkill at 1080p meaning that you’re going to max everything out no problem.

If you’re in the market for a monitor at that resolution then look no further than this one by Asus. I’ve used this exact monitor for many years now and it has never disappointed!

Remember, the 1060 is a crazy card for 1080p but it makes a lot more sense right now to get it over say a 970. In the future, VR gaming and higher resolution gaming should be on your mind.

Also if you’re in need for a keyboard and mouse combo that is good with a 1080p resolution then Cooler Master’s Devastator combo is going to be exactly what you need.

Feel free to ask me about any other monitors, keyboards and mice in the comments area below. I’d be more than happy to throw my two sense on which ones you’d rather prefer!

Now as far as operating systems – I feel like this is entirely up to you as the builder of your PC. Most people go with Windows 10 right now and it’s a great operating system except the fact that it’s quite the expense.

If you don’t have $100 to throw down on an operating system then you could always go with the free, open-source OS called Ubuntu at least until you can afford Windows and/or just stick with Ubuntu if you end up liking it.

It’s Linux based and is actually pretty easy to use. As far as Steam and it’s games go you’ll have to do some emulating and what not to actually be able to play the games that weren’t meant to be played on a Linux system, like Skyrim for example.

If you grab a legit copy of Windows, however, you’ll be able to customize/personalize your experience with Windows 10 and apparently Microsoft is actively working to make Windows 10 the best gaming operating system yet, but I could probably bet money that Steam’s operating system will most likely bring Windows 10 to shame simply because Steam is amazing and the company behind it has a great vision in mind for it’s future. If they do it right, they could create the best OS yet – SteamOS.

If you’re looking for anything else to add to your build to get more out of your $900 budget then you could also grab a wireless network adapter so that you can easily connect to your internet without having any problems of disconnection. I’ll add a link below here to a great USB network adapter that is also compatible with Windows 10.

I highly recommend going with a direct connection via an ethernet cord but if wireless is all you can go with then you’ll definitely need the wireless adapter.

I’ll also link you to a 64bit version of Windows 10. It’s vital that you grab a 64bit version because the 32bit version will only allow for 4GB of RAM, for some reason.

Check out these links below!

The above links are going to be essential for getting everything working and to get into gaming. Unless you’re only playing single player games – you’ll want to have some sort of a network adapter to connect to the internet. But as I said above, I’d definitely recommend going with a direct connection via an ethernet cord if you’re able to!s

All in all, this is a GREAT build and your inner gamer will be totally satisfied with the kind of power that a gaming PC build for $900 is able to give out.

Are you going to be building this?

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about this build as well!

748 Responses to Gaming PC Build For $900, Top Tier Custom Build 2018

1. Andres says:

Hey Colton I am building a 900 budget desktop, considering some of the items you have listed.

My only hurtle I’m hitting is; i will be doing streaming and gaming, which CPU would you most recommend?

I am planning on using 16gb ram and a msi 1060

And there’s so many good options for mobo, I can’t decided.

When it comes to streaming, you’ll want to have a multi-threaded CPU if you’re wanting to do it into the big time. Being serious with streaming, it’ll help a lot with encoding and editing.

I’d suggest the i7-7700 or the K version if you wanted to use the aftermarket cooler as well. If you don’t plan on streaming heavily and needing the absolute highest quality then something like the above i5 would still do just fine.

2. Andres says:

Your website is amazing and has definitely helped me put a rig myself, I have a dilemma; bellow is current part choices.

i5-6660
    H110M-a
    hyper 212
    16 gb blistex ram
    1 TB hd
    120 gb ssd
    MSI GTX 1060 6g
    600w B1 80+

on the MSi website it says the card requires a 400w and consumes 120V. When I put everything in the PSU calculator, everything comes out to 400.

Are there any reasons why I should be worried with that psu or am I good ??

thanks!

Hey Andres,

You’d be fine with 600w, no worries there. There’s also no need for the Hyper 212 if you’re going for the stock i5-6600. The non-k version comes with a stock Intel cooler and it’s more than enough to keep it cool. An aftermarket cooler is only necessary when you’re thinking of overclocking the CPU.

3. Matt says:

Love the build I was just wondering if these changes would still work with the above build.
    Case-Rosewill Cullinan
    Mobo-ASUS PRIME Z270-A
    GPU-MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Also I want to keep the ram you listed but later down the line if i want more do i just purchase another 8 GB stick of the same ram. Thanks

4. James says:

Hey Colton I like this build a lot but was wondering if it would still be compatible with these minor changes.
    Case-Rosewill Cullinan
    Mobo-ASUS PRIME Z270-A
    GPU-MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

5. Matt says:

Hey thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. This is my first pc build and I found your build and I really liked it. Its a relief knowing all the parts are compatible too. Sorry for all the questions but i was wondering if this ram would be compatible. So my first system is this what do you think.
    Case- Rosewill Cullinan
    Mobo- ASUS PRIME Z270-A
    Cpu- Intel i-5 7600k
    Gpu- MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Ram- Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit 2400 MT/s
    HDD- Same as the above build.
    PS- Same as the above build

No problem Matt.

It all seems good to go, are you able to link me to the exact RAM that you’re referring to there? Also, is this case the case that you’re referring to?

If so you need to know that the CD drive wouldn’t be able to be used with that case, you’d have to install OS and drivers another way. Otherwise everything else seems good to go, let me know!

6. Josh says:

If I add a ssd and also have 16gb ram can I still run the same power supply

7. Ben says:

Hey,

I was looking around and I found this pre-built PC(http://amzn.to/2s1AuA0). I’m a complete noobs when it comes to them so which do you think is better mine or yours. Sorry if it is completely obvious.

Hey Ben,

That PC is severely lacking in the video card department for what you’re spending on it… it would be a lot more beneficial to go for this build since the video card is significantly better for the future.

8. Ethan says:

this is my first ever setup ive done but can i change the case to anything else? or would that affect the whole thing

9. Ethan says:

will the Thermaltake Versa C22 Snow Edition RGB LED Lighting SPCC ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis CA-1G9-00M6WN-00
    work for this build

10. Ethan says:

and would the DeepCool TX Mid Tower TESSERACT SW work for this

11. Ethan says:

hey sorry for all the questions but thanks for the replies 🙂 anyways, could you reccomend any case with a glass side panel i wanna show off that nice led tech thing i just love how that stuff looks.

12. boop says:

stupid question but im not quite sure what im doing, do i put the cpu cooler on the processer or do i put the stock cooler on the processer??

The CPU cooler on the processor, a CPU and processor is the same thing.

Did you go with the 7600k? The 7600k doesn’t come with a stock cooler. Or did you go with another cooler?

13. gladis says:

do i need to buy any additional wiring or screws or does it all come with it?

Hey Gladis,

All of the screws, cables etc that you’ll need will come with all of the different parts. The only thing you need as extra is a screwdriver!

14. jim says:

would this case work for this build Phanteks PH-EC416PTG_AG Eclipse P400 Steel ATX Mid Tower Case Anthracite Grey, “Tempered Glass” Edition

15. Yanpo says:

How do you know exactly how every part relates and interacts with each other to the point that you know when upgrading a part to a more powerful version is going to give you negligible to even negative performance improvements. Do you have the specs of every item out there memorized or something?

Yanpo,

I’ve built several PCs and I know what is going to work down the road. Through experience and seeing what the component companies do in terms of future parts you get an understanding of how it’s going to work in the future.

16. Daniel says:

Hi hello thanks for this guides man just a quick question I have a low budget would a Corsair – CX650M 80+ work with this or is the corsair 750 highly recommended?

You could go with a 650w PSU if you wanted to, no worries there man.

Let me know if I can help more as you’re moving forward with your build!

• Daniel says:

okay so I’m going to use a Corsair CX650M. I have a few questions: I haven’t be able to find a MSI-Z270 SLI PRO so would a MSI Z270 SLI PLUS work? Also I’m able to buy the Corsair Cooling Hydro H45 would that be worth it and/or compatible? Can I change to the corsair spec-3? also are there options for the same price for a video card? Those Would be the last questions I promise. Thanks beforehand.

17. Xander says:

Seems like a straightforward question but I gotta ask how this would handle different settings with modern games such as Overwatch

This is my first time building and I’m trying to be as sure as possible I’m getting what I need for a reasonable price so if you could get back to me that would be much appreciated.

• Xander says:

Another thing I had been wondering is I have an older moniter which is BenQ 24-Inch Gaming Monitor – LED 1080p HD Monitor – 1ms Response Time and i was hoping this would work with a build like this but I am just not sure.

Hey Xander,

These specs surpass what is recommended with Overwatch – you’d get a very smooth frame rate maxed out at 1080p for sure! Other titles as well depending on overall optimization.

18. Joey says:

The build is compatible with this case and these fans, right?

Hey Joey,

For sure! Those changes would work just fine, that’s a pretty awesome case!

• Joey says:

Thanks so much! Also, since the graphics card in this list from PNY has been out of stock everywhere I look, is there a similar card you might recommend? I noticed that you recommended the GTX 1050 Ti to Jordan below, but I don’t mind spending a little extra to get a card that is just as capable or even a little better than the GTX 1060 in this build.

19. Jordan says:

I’m having trouble finding a video card that will work for this build, and is not crazy expensive right now. Think you could help me out? I’m fairly new to this

Hey Jordan,

That’s due to the Bitcoin mining craze that has been going on. I’ve been reading some recent articles and some are saying that the market is dying down so seeing a decrease in price could happen within the next few months! Otherwise you’d be best off going with a GTX 1050 Ti like from the $500 build and then upgrading whenever you deemed it necessary.

20. Xander says:

Hello again Colton thank you for the help before I have a question about another video card due to the bitcoin mining issues. Would i be able to use the msi video card in the link below and how would it perform in comparison?

Thanks again

Hey Xander, not a problem! I’ve been away for a while so I apologize for the late reply.

Yes, that card would work just fine! Understandable since most cards haven’t moved in price quite yet on the mainstream market.

21. Morten says:

Hey Colton

This is my first gaming pc that I would put together, and I am seriously considering this build. I would like to play Playerunknown and StarWars Battlefront when it is released – how will this build run with these games? Would it be better going for a GTX 1080 in this case?
    Also, I already have a mac screen that has a thunderbolt 2 port. Is it possible to connect this with the gaming pc if going for another motherboard/case?
    Since I am all new to this game, can you recommend some cases that are simple and not so flashy, like simple black ones and pretty small (without hindering setting up the system and spoiling the cooling).

Hey there Morten,

Sorry for the delayed response, I’ve been away for a while. Back now, though!

These specs would be good enough for those titles, the 1060 is more than enough for PUBG, Battlefront and future titles coming out at 1080p! It’s an awesome card for that resolution. For the Thunderbolt port, I’m sure it’s easy to find an adapter of sorts to get that done. That’d be cheaper to do as well. Something like this adapter should be able to work out well!

For an alternative case, let me know if you dig this one from Corsair – it’s a great case to work with!

22. Joooooood says:

Is there any other video cards that are compatible with this build? and that are as good as the one in your build? Currently the pny cards are out of stock on amazon and pny.

Hey Joooooood,

I’d also recommend this 1060 from Asus if you’re looking for something within that level of performance, it’s another great card to go with!

I’ll be updating the builds soon enough, it’s not just this build that has a part or two that are out of stock/overpriced. Let me know what you decide to go with!

23. Alex says:

Are there any other compatible video/graphics cards with this build(and that are as good as it)? The card in your build is out of stock on amazon and pny.

24. nate says:

So i’m thinking of swapping out a few pieces and was wondering what you think and if they’d still work. I plan to use the same case/processor/cooler/RAM/hard drive/power supply but was looking to swap the motherboard to a MSI Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb and the graphics card to a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G 6GB 192-Bit GDDR5. Thanks.

Hey there Nate,

Yes! You’d be good to go making those changes if you wanted to, everything would still be compatible.

Always here for whatever else going forward!

25. Jamshed says:

Hey

I was wondering if the following video card would be compatible with this build

26. Ryan Hoang says:

Can I change the CPU to a i7-7700K? Would I need to change anything else if I make this change?

With the old config yes you could, though I’ve changed up some parts utilizing Ryzen now. If you still want to go with Intel let me know and I’ll point you in the right direction.

27. Dan says:

Hey Colton

i would like to have your feedback on this build it its lacking anything or not

Hey Dan,

I mean, there’s no need for a CPU cooler there since the stock cooler that comes with the CPU is more than enough. And there is also not a video card, though after reading it seems that the build wasn’t made with super heavy gaming in mind.

These builds are all with heavy gaming use in mind. That build wouldn’t do a whole lot in the realm of today’s games.

28. Abram says:

I built your past 900 budget build back in 2015, I believe it’s time for me to update some hardware sense my pc has been crashing while I play over watch, would I need to replace all the hardware I have or just update a specific part? The error message I got allot was memory management, which I updated it with Seagate (Brand new) and still crashes.

Hey Adram,

Memory management actually has something to do with your RAM (random access memory), not with your hard drive. A hard drive simply deals with storage space, not with a computer’s level of memory.

What type of RAM is in your build? The exact brand and model would help. What exactly does the error message state and do you only get it while playing Overwatch?

29. Tyler D says:

Hey Colton.

Would changing out the GTX 1060 to a RX 580 8G in this build without changing the case?

30. Chad Brand says:

Hey this is a bit late but is it okay to get a cheaper power supply if so what do u reccomend

31. Tristan says:

will this work with the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor (YD170XBCAEWOF)

32. Alvaro says:

Just a quick question, if you don’t mind me asking, but will i be able to put all the parts you listed into a MicroATX Mid-Tower Case, Specifically the Corsair CC-9011086-WW Carbide Series 88R.
    And also can i downgrade the gpu to a 1050ti?
    Sorry if these questions seem odd in any way, this is my first build after all!
    Plz answer as soon as possible!

Hey Alvaro!

You’re referring to this exact case then, right?

You wouldn’t be able to use the above motherboard with that case, you’d have to go with a smaller board which at this budget point I wouldn’t recommend doing…

Sure, you could downgrade to a 1050 Ti if you’d like. I’d recommend this one from EVGA if you were doing that!

33. Tom says:

I was wondering if I could ask a quick question, I really like the look of this build and still have a bit of money left to spend and was wondering whether all the parts would fit in this case;

Corsair CC-9011105-WW Carbide Series 270R Windowed Mid-Tower ATX/Micro ATX Performance Computer Case – Black

34. ABRAHAM GONZALEZ says:

Hello i was hoping you can pass me information this is the build i have and would like to switch parts and wanted to know if my computer will still be able to handle it with these changes.
    Currently, i have: ~~EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0, 26% Cooler and 36% Quieter Cooling Graphics Card 04G-P4-2974-KR
    ~~MSI Intel Z97 LGA 1150 DDR3 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (Z97 PC Mate)
    ~~2 of Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s PC3-12800 CL9 1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory (BLS8G3D1609DS1S00)
    ~~Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K
    ~~Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST1000DM003)
    ~~Corsair CX Series, CX750, 750 Watt (750W) Power Supply, 80+ Bronze Certified

I would love to switch out the Graphics card for the one you have posted up and switch out my Ram sticks to the one you have currently up that’s 16Gb as well as the Seagate 2TB.
    Also if possible adding the PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5” SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) – (SSD7CS1311-120-RB)

Hey Abraham,

How come you’re wanting to change your parts? Are you seeing overall performance decrease? Because you shouldn’t, you have a heck of a build man.

You aren’t going to be able to switch to the above RAM since your motherboard wouldn’t be compatible with it but I wouldn’t worry about that, you already have 16GB of RAM. You could add in the SSD for sure, there are plenty of tutorials on moving your OS over to it if that’s what you’d want to do but other than that I wouldn’t recommend making any drastic changes.

Maybe adding in an aftermarket cooler to be able to overclock your processor? Otherwise I really wouldn’t recommend switching to these parts, it simply wouldn’t be worth doing.

Let me know what you decide on doing!

35. ABRAHAM GONZALEZ says:

Hey I would love to add an aftermarket cooler, got any links for it sense i tried overclocking my Pc but it was getting extremely hot so i cancelled the overclocking progress and assumed it wouldn’t be able to handle it.
    Also will i be able to have the 1Tb seagate and the SSD at the same time or will one have to go?
    My computer has been performing poorly, well it might not be that it might just be the monitor, i tried playing Grand Theft Auto 5 but when i get on a moving car everything glitches out and cant see the road which makes 50% of the things invisible, i have the monitor you have listed i might need one with a higher fps.

The monitor should work just fine, I doubt it’s a problem with your monitor. So you’re monitoring temperatures while in-game? What are the actual temps?

Do you have all of the exact parts listed above? Let me know!

36. Matt L says:

I am attempting my first build for my son with the above except I purchased the following case:
    Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case, Tempered Glass Panels, Up to 420mm GPU, 360mm Liquid-cooling, 4 120mm Fans Pre-installed – CULLINAN

Will this work for the components listed above?