Gaming PC Build For $900, Top Tier Custom Build 2019

Putting together a gaming PC build for $900 would put you in a great position to experience everything PC gaming has to offer for 2019 and beyond.

Gaming PC Build For $900

Prepare Yourself For Epicness

If you’re looking to run games such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, Fallout 4, Star Wars Battlefront, Dying Light, Grand Theft Auto V, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and/or The Division on max graphic settings and high resolution while maintaining a high frame rate then this is the build for you.

This PC gives you the most bang for your buck and your return of computer power on your investment is well spent once you experience this computer for yourself. (FOR REAL. THIS BUILD IS BEAST.)

This build will stand the test of time, and if you’re at all interested in diving into virtual reality down the road then you can know that this build will be able to give you that experience full-scale.

If you’ve never built your own computer then have no fear, building a computer is actually a lot easier than what you’d think it would be. Sure it sounds like a pretty intimidating task, but through personal experience I can tell you that I know you can do it because when I went to build my first computer I had no experience at all… I was only interested in getting myself into the PC gaming arena while still staying within my budget range!

When I built my first computer I followed a video tutorial while I built my computer at the same time. Now for the first time around it took me a bit of time to learn how each part worked together but the time spent was time well spent because the process of building a computer stays with you after you learn it much like anything else in life, I’ve been able to build many more computers for friends and family and can now put a computer together in about an hours time! 😀

In my opinion, the #1 video tutorial for building a computer from scratch is done by Newegg. I have embed the video below from YouTube so feel free to bookmark this post to watch the video while you’re putting your PC gaming build together!

Once you get all of your parts be sure to review the video series above that way you can be sure that you will be able to put your computer together the way it was meant to be put together.

With that, let’s get to the hardware.

Optimal Parts On A $900 Budget

Last Updated: September 23rd, 2019

* = Optional part, read below for more details.

Final price DOES NOT include optional part.

Thermaltake Versa N21 CaseThermaltake Versa N21

MSI X570-A PRO MotherboardMSI X570-A PRO

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ProcessorAMD Ryzen 5 3600

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Video CardZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 6GB

Ballistix Sport LT 8GB Single  RAM – Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Single 8GB 2666 MHz

WD Blue 1TB HDD Hard Drive – Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD

ADATA SU635 480GB SSD Solid State DriveADATA SU635 480GB SSD

EVGA 600W BR PSU Power Supply – EVGA 600W BR PSU

cd* CD Drive (Optional) – Asus 24x DVD-RW

This build is definitely going to ensure that you get the most power for the amount of money you throw down on your build.

Right now these parts together are a good amount less than $900, so if you’re wanting to spend a bit more then I’d also suggest adding a solid state drive since it’ll make everything run a lot faster in comparison to a traditional hard drive.

I’ve had a solid state drive from SanDisk included with the build because they have always had the best pricing on SSD storage along with them performing as expected to. As of right now, we can fit a 480GB SSD in without hurting the budget point too much. This type of deal probably isn’t going to last much longer, it seems that hardware pricing just keeps getting better in time!

If you decide to not include the solid state drive then you’ll be well under $900 in total. You could use that extra bit on whatever else you like, up to you! Let me know if you do this, It’d be cool to know what you decide to get with the extra cash left over.

As far as the computer case goes, the Thermaltake case that I have listed above is going to be 100% compatible with this build and is going to work perfectly when you go to build this PC.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

The Ryzen 5 3600, especially after overclocking, performs extremely well both in gaming and rendering.

This case also has USB 3.0 capabilities and if you’re looking to go cheaper on your case then just know that you won’t be able to utilize the USB 3.0 technology that is available with the motherboard I have listed above.

If you’d like to browse more computer cases to either better fit your style and/or your taste then you can do so by Clicking Here!

The Ryzen 5 3600 6-core processor is great not only for this current generation of PC gaming but for a few years down the road as well.

It is able to be overclocked hence why I’ve decided to go with it for this build. It actually does come with a stock cooler and it’s also a good enough cooler to where you’ll be able to get a decent overclock right out of the gate. Be sure to check out videos on YouTube to make sure you know what you’re doing when you start using it!

You’ll also be able to execute some of the most demanding processing actions that a computer is capable of such as creating high quality videos with effects, design video games, 3D modeling and much more. That’s what the Ryzen line on processors was made for – for heavy rendering processes. It’s also great for gaming!

Having a X570 motherboard right out of the gate means that you won’t have to do any BIOS flash update before you try and use the CPU. I’ve seen on most other build sites they’re sharing using something like a B450 motherboard which works only after an update with an older CPU…

Most of you are probably new builders so what sense does it make to have someone new to building their rig to have to loan out another CPU just to update the BIOS? Might as well have the newest and most compatible board out there to start out!

ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 6GB

The RTX 2000 series video cards are the newest cards from Nvidia and the 2060 is no joke. With this card, you’ll have top tier performance in 1080p and in VR.

The RTX 2060 will most likely put you in awe once you see what kind of power that it is capable of as far as displaying textures and models for games go.

This card is an amazing card for gaming and you won’t have to upgrade it for at least a few more years so that way you can feel comfortable knowing that you’ll have a top tier system with top tier hardware to keep up with today and tomorrow’s tech demands. 1440p resolution is definitely doable with this card. 😀

With that though, you may want to start with 1080p both for cash flow reasons and because 1080p is still a really good resolution to game on. The 1060 is basically overkill at 1080p meaning that you’re going to max everything out no problem. Adjusting your video settings in-game will help with getting 60+ FPS though.

* When it comes to the CD drive you should know that it’s also possible to install your operating system with a USB boot drive. You can also find the necessary drivers you’d need online. If you aren’t comfortable doing that or learning how then having the CD drive will make the process easier.

If you’re in the market for a monitor at that resolution then look no further than this one by Asus. I’ve used this exact monitor for many years now and it has never disappointed!

Remember, the 2060 is a crazy card for 1080p but it makes a lot more sense right now to get it over say a 970. In the future, VR gaming and higher resolution gaming should be on your mind.

Also if you’re in need for a keyboard and mouse combo that is good with a 1080p resolution then Cooler Master’s Devastator combo is going to be exactly what you need.

Keyboard/MouseCM Storm Devastator 3

Feel free to ask me about any other monitors, keyboards and mice in the comments area below. I’d be more than happy to throw my two sense on which ones you’d rather prefer!

Now as far as operating systems – I feel like this is entirely up to you as the builder of your PC. Most people go with Windows 10 right now and it’s a great operating system except the fact that it’s quite the expense.

If you don’t have $100 to throw down on an operating system then you could always go with the free, open-source OS called Ubuntu at least until you can afford Windows and/or just stick with Ubuntu if you end up liking it.

It’s Linux based and is actually pretty easy to use. As far as Steam and it’s games go you’ll have to do some emulating and what not to actually be able to play the games that weren’t meant to be played on a Linux system, like Skyrim for example.

If you grab a legit copy of Windows, however, you’ll be able to customize/personalize your experience with Windows 10 and apparently Microsoft is actively working to make Windows 10 the best gaming operating system yet, but I could probably bet money that Steam’s operating system will most likely bring Windows 10 to shame simply because Steam is amazing and the company behind it has a great vision in mind for it’s future. If they do it right, they could create the best OS yet – SteamOS.

If you’re looking for anything else to add to your build to get more out of your $900 budget then you could also grab a wireless network adapter so that you can easily connect to your internet without having any problems of disconnection. I’ll add a link below here to a great USB network adapter that is also compatible with Windows 10.

I highly recommend going with a direct connection via an ethernet cord but if wireless is all you can go with then you’ll definitely need the wireless adapter.

I’ll also link you to a 64bit version of Windows 10. It’s vital that you grab a 64bit version because the 32bit version will only allow for 4GB of RAM, for some reason.

Check out these links below!

The above links are going to be essential for getting everything working and to get into gaming. Unless you’re only playing single player games – you’ll want to have some sort of a network adapter to connect to the internet. But as I said above, I’d definitely recommend going with a direct connection via an ethernet cord if you’re able to!s

All in all, this is a GREAT build and your inner gamer will be totally satisfied with the kind of power that a gaming PC build for $900 is able to give out.

Are you going to be building this?

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about this build as well!

798 Responses to Gaming PC Build For $900, Top Tier Custom Build 2019

1. Marty says:

Hey Colton!

I think the site didnt receive my first message i sent! Awesome guide, im new to this and learned some things!

In my first message i wrote about the motherboard, processor and graphic card are not able to be delivered in my country. Do you know any parts of these categories, that fit with the other parts and can be delivered to europe?

thanks!

Hey Marty,

I’m actually unable to really help a whole lot in that context… sorry man 🙁

If you are able to link me the parts that you think are compatible to me through new comments then I’ll be able to let you know if they would work or not, I plan on adding links for people in other countries down the road but right here and now, it’s not an option.

2. Gaven Mcgoohoo says:

HEY can you tell me what games this pc can play TANKS. xD rawr

3. Chris C says:

Do any of these come with thermal compound? or do I have to buy the compound separately?

Chris,

The stock cooler comes with thermal compound pre-applied, you’d only need to get different thermal compound if you were getting an aftermarket cooler.

4. Chris C says:

Ok lol, one last question and im buying all my parts. I slept on buying a SSD to run my OS off of. I am still wondering when I boot through BIOS will I have to set the SSD as the first drive scanned in order to load the OS on? and when I load the OS on should I put all programs that need to run faster on the SSD or how should I go about using said SSD?

Since you’d be using a USB drive for your OS, you’d want to boot from the USB so that you can install Windows into the SSD.

After installation, you can remove said USB and then your boot order should default to the SSD and then yes, I would install Steam, anti virus, any programs you use often to the SSD and maybe even a couple of online games or your favorite/most played games for sure!

5. Marty says:

I have found

Processor :

Graphic card

Motherboard:

will they fit with the other parts of your guide?

Hey there Marty,

They would fit, but the motherboard is for FX series processors not for the i7 that you have listed there, You’d need a different motherboard that is compatible with the i7 you have linked there.

Also it’s good to know that processor doesn’t come with its own stock CPU cooler so you’d also need to have an aftermarket cooler that would fit in the case!

6. Chris C says:

Hi Colton! AS you can tell I am bouncing around trying to get the best bang for my buck without having buyers remorse lol. I have my eyes set on this build but I am worried that the rendering power may not be what I am imagining. I guess let me lay it out like this.

1) The case I am going to use is the NZXT S340 so I will not need the optical drive since the case does not have one. (I’d like your opinion on that)

2) Since I wont be needing the optical drive is there something else I could add or would the build in your eyes be sufficient?

sorry again for all the questions lol

Hey again man,

1) If you don’t mind going around online looking for all of your drivers instead of using the disks then I don’t see a problem with doing that. I only share using the optical drive to streamline the process of getting all of the right drivers installed.

2) I wouldn’t add anything else man, better to just pocket that extra $20 for yourself if you’re not using it on the drive.

No apology needed, that’s what I made this comment section for bro lol, let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

7. Caleb says:

Hi Colton, What do you think of the $899 build.

Hey Caleb,

Honest opinion? Not nearly enough power/space for the money.

The above build has a lot more power and it has overclocking potential whereas that build does not and it only comes with 120GB of SSD space, 20GB of that would be for Windows alone.

With games recently that are 20+GB each… 100GB of space just isn’t going to cut it.

For that much money, you could have a much more powerful system. Pre-built PCs are never good 9.9/10 times.

8. Kyle Nichols says:

Hi I actually just bought this whole build, but the RAM refuses to fit into the motherboard. It just seems like it doesn’t fit…the notches on the sides do not click no matter how much force or if I try putting it in a side at a time. I made sure the middle notch was in the right place as well. I have the whole pc built, and it won’t turn on. I feel that is the problem since it falls out with just a little wiggling of my computer. An answer would be greatly appreciated.

• Kyle Nichols says:

Btw, it does turn on, but my monitor does not show any sign of it being on.

So you’ve got the RAM to go in then? Take a look at your motherboard manual, it’ll explain how the RAM slots work and which ones are most optimal for you to use.

You’ve got your video cord plugged into the video card and not the motherboard? You’ll need it plugged into the video card as the motherboard ports won’t work as you’ve got a video card plugged in.

9. To_Be_Gamer says:

Hey again,
    How do you feel about the newer version of the 780’s. I decided to go with the 780’s,but I just wanted to know if the 20$ extra is worth it to get a newer model and the differences?
    thanks for all the help

In my opinion they’re practically the same thing with a different look… not really seeing any extra features or anything like that in comparison

10. To_Be_Gamer says:

Hey,
    I’ll take your word for it. Which one is better the plantronics gamecom 780 or the Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930. I’m not sure which one is better or if their the same. Thanks and you said you had them ,do you have a different headset now?

Well the 780 has better reviews and personally, I’m not a fan of wireless anything. I’d rather have a direct connection knowing that I’m never going to lose connection.

And yes, I do have another headset now. My girlfriend bought me this exact headset because I wanted it for aesthetic reasons, going for a multi-colored build so that headset was more ideal. I let her use the 780 now!

11. DB says:

Would it be worth to change the processor to an i7?

Yes and no, DB.

It would definitely give you a bit more future-proofness and if you plan on doing any hardcore rendering then an an i7 such as the 4790k would be the more ideal CPU to go with since it would be able to handle that job more effectively.

But if you’re going to be gaming without doing much software stuff or rendering videos and what not then the i5 above is still a very high performing CPU for gaming. It surpasses the requirements for what is needed for a high quality virtual reality experience which I believe is a good indicator showing that the i5 above is a great CPU to use for gaming.

12. To_Be_Gamer says:

Hey,
    I meant to link these, but I couldn’t find them any where else.The amazon web page says they don’t sell them anymore.The Tritton website says to buy them on amazon though the link takes me to the ones that are unavailable which is the link I provided. I also was considering the Plantronics gamecom 780, but I am not sure about the mic quality when others hear me.

I had the same exact headset bro, you can have my word that the mic is super high quality. Some people use them for competitive gaming and I had never had any problems with the mic.

Seriously, take my word for it 😉

13. Tony Cabral says:

Why did you opt to use the 970 card instead of an r9 390?

Just curious, really wanting to use this build.

Hey Tony,

To me, this build would be used for 1080p gaming. The 970 performs better than the 390 at 1080p, many tests have been done to prove that it does. You’re gaming beyond 1080p then I’d suggest going with something like a 390 due to having more video memory.

I have a 970 in my build and the performance at 1080p is remarkable!

14. Dreadlocks says:

Colton Hello ! I write this to agredecerte to you and to the overall product because after many things I could finally get the computer for which he had been asking for help on the page, I thank you for having helped me and good luck !!

Dread

15. To_Be_Gamer says:

Hey again,
    Some extra money came my way and I can afford some better parts for my build.One upgrade I did was from the i-5 to the i-7.Also the afterglow headsets you linked looked good, but aren’t what I had in mind.So I’m in the market again and a buddy of mine said these Triton headsets work phenomenal.Do you have any opinions on them or any suggestions?
    Thanks for all the help P.S Almost ready to purchase everything 🙂

Hello! Good to see ya again 😛

That headset looks nice but it’s not compatible with PC… it was made for Xbox 360 and PS3. Looking at the cord, it’s just not going to work on PC and I also read some reviews that said it wouldn’t work. If you know otherwise then do let me know, it’d be interesting if they could work on PC.

Look around on Amazon for another headset and let me know what you end up finding, there are plenty of quality options like this one for example 🙂

16. Christina S. says:

Hello, I showed this build to a friend of mine and he recommended replacing 8gb of RAM with two sticks of 4gb and a 500watt power supply. How would I incorporate these suggestions/are they actually nessasarcy?

Hi Christina,

The only reason I share going with a single stick of RAM is because it’s the cheapest way to go. The performance difference between using a single stick and having a dual channel kit is very, very slim and so it makes more sense to me to have a single stick to save money and to have even more room for adding more RAM whenever you were to deem it necessary.

I personally wouldn’t go with a 500W power supply. The whole point of having more power is so that you can overclock the CPU and the GPU to your heart’s desire in the future which you’ll want to do whenever you see the performance level start to dip (which will be a long while yet before that even starts to happen.)

If you don’t want to overclock the CPU then I’d suggest not getting the K version of the i5. 500w is basically the absolute bare minimum for the GTX 970 so you’d feel a little more at ease going with at least 600w of power.

Let me know if I can help you any further as you move forward with your build, I’m all ears here 🙂

17. Jake H says:

Hi Colton, quick question, where do I plug my ac’97 cord? Its From the CD drive, it may be the thing that will not let me open the drive.

Hey Jake,

Refer to your motherboard’s manual, it should be able to point you in the right direction!

• Jake H says:

the ac97 and the hd audio both share the same look in the terms of pin order but there is only one slot for it, the jaud1. Another problem i have the monitor plugged into the tower but nothing will give a signal to the monitor, what problem is that, is that because i dont have an os system?, i just bought windows 10 but nothing is working properly enough for me to know that anything is working properly. ( my problem as well, very sick and my head is a all stuffy, cant think straight).

So do you have your monitor plugged into the video port on the graphics card? The manual should be able to clear up some of those pin plugins as well. Seems like there is something small that you might have missed while putting everything together…

When you boot your PC up it should come up with some text asking you to boot, that is when you’ll need to install Windows into your hard drive!

• Jake H says:

thank you colton, you have been so much help the whole way, does windows installer go into the graphics card?

The Windows CD will go into the CD drive and you’ll have to boot from the CD drive via the BIOS menu on your motherboard, the video that I have embedded above will walk you through all of that!

18. Owen S says:

Hi there! The computer I built has every piece form this list in it, except the graphics card I bought was the MSI Overclocked 970 (Wasn’t labelled as such when i bought it from ebay). My computer sometimes, during game play, shuts off automatically, and I’m not sure of the problem. Do I need a different power supply? Because I find that the power supply is the only thing that’s hot when it shuts down.

Something is overheating Owen.

Download some third party programs which can monitor your GPU/CPU temps and see if one or the other is overheating. Are you overclocking anything? Is the airflow in your case/room good?

19. Cody says:

Hi Colton, If i went with 12 gigs of ram and an i7, how much would that cost in total?

20. Eugene says:

Hey.

One quick question.

Can you make a build without the discount?

I really need the exact 900 dollar one.

Hey Eugene,

I don’t really understand what you’re saying.

The above build, you’re able to save a little bit of cash and the parts are still equal to a $900 build..?

Trust me, you’re not losing out on power because you’re not paying $900 exact!